</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Rem model 7 stainless 300WSM
by Thread Killer. 04/19/24 09:04 AM
Mathews lift 29.5
by Bows4evr. 04/18/24 09:53 PM
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by abolt300. 04/19/24 09:25 AM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
124 registered members (Fishduck, donia, oldbowhunter, goodman_hunter, jchurch, Big AL 76, coonhunterrn, hawndog, Fleahopmayor, J_K, Gobble4me757, 7PTSPREAD, bfoote, MS_Hunter, deepwoods44, Floorman1, Petey, crenshawco, Team_Stuckem, hippi, BC, Canterberry, BD, Squadron77, Turkey Petter, BigA47, Shaneomac2, thayerp81, Justice, HBWALKER14, dsmc, wareagle22, ColeT, BearBranch, burbank, rhino21, hallb, catdoctor, Okatuppa, CKyleC, KENT, wk2hnt, zgobbler5, Joe4majors, Andalusia, Drake322, Keysbowman, scrubbuck, Beer Belly, kodiak06, mossyback, CarbonClimber1, misfire, Bmyers142, Rolloverdave, Reaper, RareBreed, hamma, Zzzfog, rst87, Gav-n-Tn, Whild_Bill, Coosa1, bobbyc, duxlayer, Tree Dweller, Rainbowstew, KnightRyder, Whitebone, BPI, courseup, Quack Quack Bang, Cactus_buck, lthrstkg1, Deer Crossing, Morris, TexasHuntress, GmeHunter, lefthorn, Raven, geeb1, oakachoy, sanderson, El_Matador, abolt300, GomerPyle, AJones, bug54, Downwind, Red Fox, dave260rem!, Redman3, Sixpointholler, StateLine, sportrep, Overland, Antelope08, UncleHuck, XVIII, BamaGuitarDude, chevydude2015, slippinlipjr, Lil_Fella, Mack1, GobbleGrunt, DGAMBLER, shootnmiss, Cahabariverrat, BurningBright, Safetyman, Geeb, YellaLineHunter, Jdkprp70, timberwolfe, jhardy, Sself161, Deerslayer33, Claims Rep., 6 invisible), 715 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Todd1700] #287418
02/18/12 03:12 PM
02/18/12 03:12 PM
Henry county
coldtrail Offline
12 point
coldtrail  Offline
12 point
Henry county
Originally Posted By: Todd1700
Quote:
hunting over corn piles is unethical because Charles Kelly said it was and he carries way more weight than you do Todd.....

That's why it's illegal. Still not in any way an explanation of how it's ethically any different that sitting over a patch. I'm a strong advocate of obeying the law. But that in no way means that we don't have stupid and inconsistent ones.

Dead on. A lot of things are legal, that doesn't make them ethical. and I tend to think a lot of things are illegal but that doesn't always make them unethical. a lot of people really don't now where there beliefs come from.

"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days" Ray Wylie Hubbard
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Todd1700] #287419
02/18/12 03:13 PM
02/18/12 03:13 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
ok Genius, if their is no advantage to hunting over bait then why do so many of you want to make it legal?

Because it would be nice not to have to stop feeding the deer on our land for 2 1/2 to 3 months during each winter when the deer need it the most. Why do we have to stop? Couldn't we just leave them going and not hunt close enough to them to get a ticket? Ahhh, there's the rub isn't it? Nobody, not even the governor of this ####ing state knows what "IN THE AREA" means. So navigating around them becomes a mine field during hunting season if they are left loaded and running. And that's if you are dealing with an honest game warden. All it takes is their word that you were near a feeder and your feeder with corn in it to show the judge and a resurrected F Lee Bailey couldn't get your ass out of the ticket here in Wilcox County. I don't like putting myself in a position where all it takes is someones word to ***k me over. And I know there are good game wardens out there that wouldn't deal dirty like that but there are also some that will "embellish the story a bit" to close the deal on your ass. You can doubt that fact if you want but you do it at your own risk.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Todd1700] #287421
02/18/12 03:16 PM
02/18/12 03:16 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
Please check up on your facts before spouting off.
It will prevent Athlete's Foot of the Mouth!!!!

Quote:
BAITING
Trophies taken with the aid of bait are eligible for entry in the Clubs Awards Programs and listing in the records books so long as the practice is legal in the state or province where the trophy was taken.

Cut him some slack Hogwild. He was just basing that statement on the same amount of facts they base their other assertions on. None at all! LOL!

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: truedouble] #287422
02/18/12 03:19 PM
02/18/12 03:19 PM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
td,
Quote:
... ok Genius, if their is no advantage to hunting over bait then why do so many of you want to make it legal?

How about it would eliminate the "traps" created by the vagueness of the statute?

How about elimination of the "trap" that a lot have been caught in when they are in an area where somebody else has put bait out and they didn't know it?

How about not having to disturb the area you intend to hunt with a required inspection first in order to be protected against getting caught in the "didn't know it was there trap".

How about freeing up game wardens to get out and catch serious violators that are actually harming our wildlife resources?

How about it would eliminate a lot of hypocrisy in the DCNR relating to the baiting issue and help start improving it's image?

Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: 49er] #287423
02/18/12 03:22 PM
02/18/12 03:22 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Originally Posted By: 49er
td,
Quote:
... ok Genius, if their is no advantage to hunting over bait then why do so many of you want to make it legal?

How about elimination of the "trap" that a lot have been caught in when they are in an area where somebody else has put bait out and they didn't know it?

How about not having to disturb the area you intend to hunt with a required inspection first in order to be protected against getting caught in the "didn't know it was there trap".

How about freeing up game wardens to get out and catch serious violators that are actually harming our wildlife resources?

All good points. Here's another. How about just because it would be amending a totally inconsistent and stupid law. Bait is bait. It should either all be legal or none of it.

- Abigail van Buren
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Hogwild] #287424
02/18/12 03:26 PM
02/18/12 03:26 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
Originally Posted By: Hogwild
Originally Posted By: truedouble
Quote:
Sure they could both be considered as bait, but a feeder used during deer season is only bait, nothing else. A foodplot is much more than just bait.

LOL! Have mercy.

Why don't you folks spouting stuff like this just speak the truth for once. Here, let me help you.

Repeat these following statements.

"I think corn feeders are wrong simply because I've always been told they are wrong and I've never had the intellectual gumption to ask WHY?"

AND

"I think green patches are OK because I myself have hunted over them and therefore I will NEVER NEVER NEVER admit that there is actually no ethical different between them and a feeder because then I would be exposing myself as the massive hypocrite I actually am."

Some of you folks are in such a deep state of denial psychiatrists should be filming you as you discuss this topic for use as a future training guide in how to deal with people suffering from severe self delusion.

Still haven't heard one example of how it's more difficult; requires more skill; or adheres to a higher standard of ethics to hunt over a patch vs a feeder.

You hear a lot of diversion about nutrition and other nonsense but never an explanation of what makes one ethical vs the other.

smile ok Genius, if their is no advantage to hunting over bait then why do so many of you want to make it legal? I agree you can kill does all day long on a foodplot (another great reason to have foodplots) but I don't think that's really what baiters are after. Putting a timed spin cast feeder in the middle of a buck's core area in the middle of a thicket or hardwood stand, etc. and hunting over it is more advantageous than hunting a wide open foodplot. By the way why does B&C not recognize bucks killed over bait, but they do recognize bucks killed on a foodplot? Separate discussion but just saying you might want to tell the B&C guys that they need to see a shrink as well...

As for mature bucks coming to bait during the day time, I've had a lot of 3 year olds and in the past few years two mature bucks a mid 140 and a 160 that habitually came to corn all summer and early fall during the day, 3-5 days per week morning and afternoon. They continued to come to the corn up until the first of Oct. cause I quit putting it out. There is not doubt in my mind that had I continued to put out corn I could have killed both of these bucks during the 1st few days of bow season, assuming the wind was right. This might not have happened on a piece of land with a lot of pressure where a lot of young bucks are killed but this scenario is not uncommon on private land with low hunting pressure.

It will prevent Athlete's Foot of the Mouth!!!! smile

Quote:
BAITING
Trophies taken with the aid of bait are eligible for entry in the Clubs Awards Programs and listing in the records books so long as the practice is legal in the state or province where the trophy was taken.

That hurt...I'm not used to being wrong blush So no notations or asterisks if killed over a bait pile or feeder? It's a good thing I prefaced by saying it's a separate discussion. grin

Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Todd1700] #287427
02/18/12 03:28 PM
02/18/12 03:28 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
Quote:
ok Genius, if their is no advantage to hunting over bait then why do so many of you want to make it legal?

Because it would be nice not to have to stop feeding the deer on our land for 2 1/2 to 3 months during each winter when the deer need it the most. Why do we have to stop? Couldn't we just leave them going and not hunt close enough to them to get a ticket? Ahhh, there's the rub isn't it? Nobody, not even the governor of this ####ing state knows what "IN THE AREA" means. So navigating around them becomes a mine field during hunting season if they are left loaded and running. And that's if you are dealing with an honest game warden. All it takes is their word that you were near a feeder and your feeder with corn in it to show the judge and a resurrected F Lee Bailey couldn't get your ass out of the ticket here in Wilcox County. I don't like putting myself in a position where all it takes is someones word to ***k me over. And I know there are good game wardens out there that wouldn't deal dirty like that but there are also some that will "embellish the story a bit" to close the deal on your ass. You can doubt that fact if you want but you do it at your own risk.

I've said before that I have no issue with finding a way to make it legal to continue feeding deer though out the year. This is in no way the same discussion as those that want "bait" legalized for attracting and killing deer only.

Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Todd1700] #287429
02/18/12 03:31 PM
02/18/12 03:31 PM
Birmingham
T
truedouble Offline
14 point
truedouble  Offline
14 point
T
Birmingham
Quote:
It will prevent Athlete's Foot of the Mouth!!!!

Quote:
BAITING

Cut him some slack Hogwild. He was just basing that statement on the same amount of facts they base their other assertions on. None at all! LOL!

your opinion and assertions that foodplots and feeders are the same is not factual either... I need to find something more productive to do until turkey season starts. frown

Last edited by truedouble; 02/18/12 03:33 PM.
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Todd1700] #287484
02/18/12 05:11 PM
02/18/12 05:11 PM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama
Quote:

Plus.........there are numerous incidences of land being shut down because of corn. I know of one area in North Alabama where some guys got caught with 2 weeks to go in the season and the GW shut their place down. That would tick me off if a member caused my lease to get shut down.
To me, it's not an ethical issue. I see no difference in a cornpile, greenfield or the only white oak in the area dropping. To me, all of it is bait.
I would be against it for my/our lease even if the law passed. I just see it causing more problems and expense than it would be worth. That being said, on my private places, I would probably keep a feeder going. This law wouldn't really help bowhunting at all if you have to be 100 yards from the feeder. Just a poorly written piece of legislation.

Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Skinny] #287592
02/18/12 08:14 PM
02/18/12 08:14 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
you cannot legally shut a place down because of bait for two weeks. IF the bait is removed you can legally start hunting after 10 days....

Even so the place would have to be small, like 20-80 acres then. If it was a large enough place you could get away from the bait and hunt legally. Unless the whole place was baited....

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: BhamFred] #287613
02/18/12 08:49 PM
02/18/12 08:49 PM
Warrior River Country
49er Offline
Booner
49er  Offline
Booner
Warrior River Country
I agree with troy.

A couple of years ago I was making my reasonable effort to inspect for baiting during bow season on our lease. I found where a kid whose dad didn't renew his membership had left a feeder with a dead battery and a little corn still in it.

We have our lease divided into 40 acre squares and a member can sign out no more than two squares at a time. I cleaned the corn up myself and then I closed off two squares (80 acres) for 10 days by covering them on our sign out map with a note. The rest of our 6200 acres was left open for hunting. I saw no need to involve the DCNR.

I told our members that if any of them got a ticket for hunting over that bait anywhere other than those 80 acres, I would go to court with them and help fight it all the way up if we needed to.

Until an "area" has been clearly defined, it's my position that the officers of our club are reasonable men who are able to define the affected area ourselves as well an anyone else. I believe I could convince a judge that either I'm right or the law is too vague to be constitutional.

troy's defintion fits what we came up with under the given circumstances. thumbup

Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: BhamFred] #287639
02/18/12 09:22 PM
02/18/12 09:22 PM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama
Originally Posted By: BhamFred
you cannot legally shut a place down because of bait for two weeks. IF the bait is removed you can legally start hunting after 10 days....

Even so the place would have to be small, like 20-80 acres then. If it was a large enough place you could get away from the bait and hunt legally. Unless the whole place was baited....

The way the story was told to me is the club bought a transfer truck load of bulk corn and dumped it in the middle of the lease. I don't know if it's bs or not, but that's what the guy said. There was a 300 acre lease near here shut down 2 years ago during turkey season for corn. Whether that's legal or not, I don't know, but I do know it was done.

Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: jmj120] #287663
02/18/12 10:15 PM
02/18/12 10:15 PM
Somewhere
thirtyotsix Offline
4 point
thirtyotsix  Offline
4 point
Somewhere
Who cares anyway? Every state near us are doing it legally or not legally. If you are in a club make it a yes or no rule if the law passes. I have a-holes putting foodplots next to the property line on my lease with fruit trees and all to lure the deer onto his property but I have a fifty yard rule so I cannot intercept if I wanted to. Big deal. If you get your panties in a twist about it then buy your own land. If everyone is so ethical go out and spear one, according to the rules that is is still legal. Things change just deal with it. Just enjoy hunting. Stop being a whiner.

With politics being a career, a swamp is the obvious consequence
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Skinny] #287668
02/18/12 10:21 PM
02/18/12 10:21 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Hey Todd, where do you hunt?

Only in the woods away from mast-producing trees? Over non-forage sage fields? Pine thickets?

Or do you hunt in the woods around mast-producing trees and also near or on planted green patches?

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Skinny] #287679
02/18/12 10:51 PM
02/18/12 10:51 PM
colbert county
cartervj Offline
Old Mossy Horns
cartervj  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
colbert county
If we could only get those acorn trees on a timer laugh

Last edited by cartervj; 02/18/12 10:51 PM.

“Socialism only works in two places: Heaven where they don't need it and hell where they already have it.” ― Ronald Reagan
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: cartervj] #287710
02/18/12 11:34 PM
02/18/12 11:34 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:
Hey Todd, where do you hunt?

Only in the woods away from mast-producing trees? Over non-forage sage fields? Pine thickets?

Or do you hunt in the woods around mast-producing trees and also near or on planted green patches?

I mostly hunt from a climbing stand between bedding and feeding areas. But what's your point? I'm the one advocating that you should be able to hunt over whatever you want.

- Abigail van Buren
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Skinny] #287884
02/19/12 11:56 AM
02/19/12 11:56 AM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
At what point does the "light bulb click on" that baiting (i.e. hunting over corn) and feeding year round on "private" land IS legal in Alabama???????

For those that say everything is a form of baiting (dropping acorns from oak trees, food plots, a doe in heat, a bedding area a creek crossing, a honeysuckle patch, etc), why the big giant outcry for dumping feed/bait on the ground only during the hunting season (or in this case out of a "legal" feeder)?

All a person has to do is plant corn, millet, soybeans, etc, etc, etc, leave it standing or bush hog it and you have your "bait". Why is that not good enough??? Is it because you BELIEVE what your third cousins girlfriends brother said that he heard that somebody three counties away kills 43 bucks a year over "piles of corn" therefore, everybody is be doing it so they should just let everybody do it to help the GW's out? Or, most likely the point is that it is the easy lazy way to kill a deer, without having to put in the effort to learn agricultural practices or how to hunt?

Also, the proponents of baiting please answer this, should "baiting" (i.e. hunting over "bait" from a "legal" feeder) be "legal" on public land? If so, how should it be controlled? By free for all, through "drawing" (thereby making "public" land no longer "public"), auction (again making "public" land no longer "public")? Or, not allowing "baiting (feeding from a "legal" feeder) on public lands and therefore not allowing the same opportunities and freedoms to the "public" land hunter that the "private" land hunter would enjoy? Or, is that part of the the goal to draw game from the "public" lands to the "private" lands?

Again "baiting" and year round "feeding" IS legal in Alabama now on "private" land!! What more do you think the State of Alabama should do for you????

I anticipate these actual thought provoking questions will not get me banned again, but we shall see. grin

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Skinny] #287887
02/19/12 12:01 PM
02/19/12 12:01 PM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
So, just how much luck have YOU had growing corn and soybeans in 1/1-3/4 acre plots that are common most all of the Timber Co. leases?

Or, do you only propose that landowners themselves should have that right?

I do have a large field here at the house that I plant soybeans in. And they LOVE them! But, I haven't shot a deer here in years!

Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Hogwild] #287911
02/19/12 12:39 PM
02/19/12 12:39 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: Hogwild
So, just how much luck have YOU had growing corn and soybeans in 1/1-3/4 acre plots that are common most all of the Timber Co. leases?

Or, do you only propose that landowners themselves should have that right?

I do have a large field here at the house that I plant soybeans in. And they LOVE them! But, I haven't shot a deer here in years!

Reasearch, research, research and find ag products that will grow in what area that a person has rights and access to. A few minutes away from www.aldeer.com and searching the world wide web or local coop will provide many answers.

If you have rights from the landowner then by all means utilize it to it's fullest potential, if not deal with it by understanding the limitations or move on to some property that will allow it. I personally do not have the luxury of owning my own hunting land nor do I have the luxury of planting foodplots on the private land that I am fortunate enough to hunt. As a side bar, I also hunt public land on occassion and occassionally like this year was fortunate enough to kill deer on both private and public land.

I commend your efforts on planting the fields around your house and hope you will continue to do so.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Baiting Bill in Legislature [Re: Fun4all] #287954
02/19/12 02:01 PM
02/19/12 02:01 PM
Panhandle Florida
PaschalBD Offline
Used to be TiderBD
PaschalBD  Offline
Used to be TiderBD
Panhandle Florida
If I plant a persimmon tree in a strategic location and while I'm at it attach a ladder stand, then check back occasionally for the tree to bear fruit (this could take several years), what have I done?

Last edited by tiderbd; 02/19/12 02:02 PM.

A servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ.

USAF Veteran
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.