</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Coon dogs.
by Lonster. 04/25/24 12:17 AM
WTB .22 LR Bolt Action
by Cuz-Pat. 04/23/24 09:19 PM
Iso Henry Golden boy
by AustinC. 04/23/24 08:32 PM
Basketball goal.... Free
by longshot. 04/23/24 06:18 PM
FS: Henry Single Shot
by Ron A.. 04/23/24 05:41 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
118 registered members (Justice, WhoMe, USeeMSpurs, blazer625, just_an_illusion, Driveby, Clayton, Whitebone, Andalusia, Turkey, zgobbler5, tmhrmh1, deerchop, DryFire, olemossy, courseup, Kicker, jacannon, lalongbeard, BuckRidge17, 7PTSPREAD, OldgoatTN68, Ant67, Peach, Dixiepatriot, Tigger85, doublefistful, specialk, Vernon Tull, Solothurn, Shaneomac2, FastXD, Brownitsdown, burbank, akbejeepin, longshot, Fleahopmayor, hallb, Bustinbeards, k bush, sj22, BACK40, Brian_C, UncleHuck, Okatuppa, chill, sw1002, Gunpowder, HHSyelper, Turkey Petter, SouthBamaSlayer, Longtine, Ray_Coon, MarkCollin, JDW25, Bronco 74, XVIII, BD, Etyson, bug54, 10 POINT, mossyback, HBWALKER14, slipperyrock, gastoka, coldtrail, stl32, KnightRyder, BearBranch, BradB, Beer Belly, Snuffy, AMB, RidgeRanger, Morris, BentBarrel, Paint Rock 00, Jweeks, MarksOutdoors, BamaGuitarDude, WEMOhunter, Claims Rep., Catbird, crenshawco, Heath, Treelimb, Fishbones, click-boom, Austin1, MoeBuck, AustinC, Sixpointholler, Tree Dweller, Gobble4me757, Dragfan66, m97, WMEC615, aubigmac, cullbuck, BCLC, Pharmer, TurkeyJoe, brett.smith, BAMA RUGER, Cuz-Pat, IDOT, UAhunter, Parker243, Squadron77, BCD, trlrdrdave, Ridge Life, Turkey_neck, Scout308, 4 invisible), 595 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2846923
07/08/19 10:07 PM
07/08/19 10:07 PM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
No game flavor, don’t everybody from Bama use Dale’s Sauce? It makes everything taste like Dale’s sauce, consistency is key.

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: AU338MAG] #2846929
07/08/19 10:10 PM
07/08/19 10:10 PM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
Heck, even those studies are by biologists.

Butter is good, butter is bad, butter is good, butter is bad...

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
And just how does it spread again?

And what about research with tracking collars that show extensively without questions that old mature bucks move less, and breed in heavy cover and thats why they become old mature bucks?

What about the same studies that show young bucks are more aggressive breeders this have a wider range?

What about research that shows during the rut a buck loses a substantial amount of body weight because they simply don’t eat so they wouldn’t be hanging around other deer?

What about the fact nobody knows how in the hell it spread?

All of this crap is speculation by snot nosed liberal wildlife biologists that don’t know jack crap outside their desk and computer.

I agree 100% All of the little deer that show up pre rut could be from 5 miles away. They're young dumb bucks just roaming anywhere they smell some tail. Big boys stay home until the real rut begins.

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2847035
07/09/19 07:03 AM
07/09/19 07:03 AM
Athens, GA
W
WildlifeBiologist Offline
10 point
WildlifeBiologist  Offline
10 point
W
Athens, GA
This discussion thread demonstrates what happens when someone knows just enough to be dangerous. wink

There is a clearinghouse for CWD research. Bookmark the site: CWD-info. It is a good way to get informed on this topic.

Here is an example that addresses prevalence of CWD in older bucks and its implications for buck harvest goals. CWD study. Here is an excerpt,

"We have more to learn about what factors cause the increased infection in males,” Hauge said. “For instance, if environmental transmission plays a role in spread of the disease, then it follows that males, who have larger home ranges than females, would logically experience more exposure. Another scenario that needs more investigation is the potential of females transmitting CWD to males during the breeding season. Once again, males cover a lot of ground during the breeding season and contact many different females physically as well as through urine scenting or other behaviors. A third possibility might be male-to-male transmission in the bachelor groups that form in late winter to mid summer.”

While the data indicates that older bucks are more likely to be infected than does, Hauge said, researches do not think that killing just all the older mature bucks would solve the problem.

“CWD is also present in other, more common, segments of the population. From a disease management viewpoint, the priority is to reduce the overall population numbers and reduce the opportunity for animal to animal contact. Landowners and hunters can really help control this disease by maximizing the harvest of does on their lands in the infected area,” Hauge said.

Last edited by WildlifeBiologist; 07/09/19 07:11 AM.

Micah 6:8
Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: JohnnyLoco] #2847040
07/09/19 07:08 AM
07/09/19 07:08 AM
Grays Creek, NC
bigcountry692001 Offline
14 point
bigcountry692001  Offline
14 point
Grays Creek, NC
You have to bleed them first and then cook them. Every human I bit a chunk out of in combat taste coppery and not too swuft raw.

Originally Posted by Clem
Luckily I believe in my God given right to feed myself and that would include eating game personnel.

How do you cook game personnel? On the grill, smoker, slow cooker or perhaps sous vide?

Do all spec ops guys do this or is this just on certain occasions?

"You cant manage a deer herd with acorns."

-Dr. Craig Harper

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2847065
07/09/19 07:40 AM
07/09/19 07:40 AM
Auburn, AL
A
Antlerfluke Offline
4 point
Antlerfluke  Offline
4 point
A
Auburn, AL
I and "we", which would be a approx 15 ppl or club members care about herd mgmt. We don't shoot immature bucks and we do kill a limited number of does but probably, not enough. We're happy with QDMA philosophy results and we're happy with the number of immature bucks we see and we're happy with our mature buck harvest.

We don't believe in shooting every doe we see and we're within our carry capacity based on known data we collect and our observations. And, as I mentioned in a previous post, we do NOT shoot "culls". If he's 4 yrs old, the buck gets shot and we're happy no matter what his antlers are. We are a disciplined and realistic hunting club and our membership hardly changes.

CWD won't change our deer mgmt or deer harvest rules.

Last edited by Antlerfluke; 07/09/19 07:44 AM.
Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2847088
07/09/19 08:27 AM
07/09/19 08:27 AM
B'ham
Goatkiller Offline
14 point
Goatkiller  Offline
14 point
B'ham
If you will quit killing everything you see on your QDMA club you will have better deer. You can't override mother nature with your trigger finger. Stop shooting and your age structure and your herd will be in balance 100% for your property. You don't have to do anything else.

If you want bigger deer focus on food not piling up does in the back of your truck.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.
Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: WildlifeBiologist] #2847097
07/09/19 08:39 AM
07/09/19 08:39 AM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
Whatever the opinion, I don’t care for big brother nor supremacism attempting to decide my pursuit of happiness.

Originally Posted by WildlifeBiologist
This discussion thread demonstrates what happens when someone knows just enough to be dangerous. wink

There is a clearinghouse for CWD research. Bookmark the site: CWD-info. It is a good way to get informed on this topic.

Here is an example that addresses prevalence of CWD in older bucks and its implications for buck harvest goals. CWD study. Here is an excerpt,

"We have more to learn about what factors cause the increased infection in males,” Hauge said. “For instance, if environmental transmission plays a role in spread of the disease, then it follows that males, who have larger home ranges than females, would logically experience more exposure. Another scenario that needs more investigation is the potential of females transmitting CWD to males during the breeding season. Once again, males cover a lot of ground during the breeding season and contact many different females physically as well as through urine scenting or other behaviors. A third possibility might be male-to-male transmission in the bachelor groups that form in late winter to mid summer.”

While the data indicates that older bucks are more likely to be infected than does, Hauge said, researches do not think that killing just all the older mature bucks would solve the problem.

“CWD is also present in other, more common, segments of the population. From a disease management viewpoint, the priority is to reduce the overall population numbers and reduce the opportunity for animal to animal contact. Landowners and hunters can really help control this disease by maximizing the harvest of does on their lands in the infected area,” Hauge said.

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: bigcountry692001] #2847100
07/09/19 08:41 AM
07/09/19 08:41 AM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
I’m a human first before societal obligations, I do what I need to do to further the survival of my kind.

Originally Posted by bigcountry692001
You have to bleed them first and then cook them. Every human I bit a chunk out of in combat taste coppery and not too swuft raw.

Originally Posted by Clem
Luckily I believe in my God given right to feed myself and that would include eating game personnel.

How do you cook game personnel? On the grill, smoker, slow cooker or perhaps sous vide?

Do all spec ops guys do this or is this just on certain occasions?

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2847141
07/09/19 09:44 AM
07/09/19 09:44 AM
atmore alabama
G
gene60 Offline
spike
gene60  Offline
spike
G
atmore alabama
who is this antlerfluke dude. I know every club has one . he knows everything about everything. he says ralph you are not doing this correctly. do it my way. every piece of property is different. let him come to Baldwin county and try this crap and he will be looking for members every year. a trophy is different to each person. most trophy clubs are morons that have the money to do it. thanks antlerfluke people like you deserve each other.

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: gene60] #2847144
07/09/19 09:52 AM
07/09/19 09:52 AM
atmore alabama
G
gene60 Offline
spike
gene60  Offline
spike
G
atmore alabama
hunting is supposed to be fun. know it alls make it
bad for everyone

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2847149
07/09/19 10:04 AM
07/09/19 10:04 AM
Bessemer, Al
H
Hix14 Offline
4 point
Hix14  Offline
4 point
H
Bessemer, Al
I don't know about the rest of you, but I always like to see pictures. A lot of people have different ideas on "mature deer". Post pictures of some of the "mature deer" please. I just like to see it so that I can relate or not.

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: gene60] #2847270
07/09/19 12:20 PM
07/09/19 12:20 PM
Auburn, AL
A
Antlerfluke Offline
4 point
Antlerfluke  Offline
4 point
A
Auburn, AL
Originally Posted by gene60
who is this antlerfluke dude. I know every club has one . he knows everything about everything. he says ralph you are not doing this correctly. do it my way. every piece of property is different. let him come to Baldwin county and try this crap and he will be looking for members every year. a trophy is different to each person. most trophy clubs are morons that have the money to do it. thanks antlerfluke people like you deserve each other.

The deer mgmt philosophy I follow, is NOT mine!! It's biologists that "hunt" and their results in research that combines hundreds of thousands of man hours and they strive to LEARN!

gene60, seriously, you can do what the heck you want to do. I don't give a RA. I'm not downing what you're doing. I'm NOT stating that anyone is doing it wrong! But don't MISrepresent QDMA. QDMA doesn't say to shoot every doe you see. QDMA doesn't push the killing of cull bucks!!! And if people would listen, they would shoot way less button bucks. YOU gene, seem to be against any ideas that YOU don't subscribe to. How dare I suggest trigger restraint, right? Hell, shoot that 2 yr old buck if you want, gene!!! Shoot'em all!! IDC! Really!

If you want to shoot every stupid (and that's what they are) 2 yr old buck you see, then do it!!!!! IDC! I'm not here to condemn you so don't put words in my mouth.

I'm just saying that the hunting club I'm in doesn't shoot 2 yr old bucks and it IS a fact that we have and see a lot of bucks when we hunt. We have a "more" balanced sex ratio (you'll just have to open your mind as to why that's important and research it yourself, which you probably won't do) than any club that shoot 2 yr old bucks.

YES, hunting is supposed to be fun and IT IS at my hunting club. WE SEE A LOT OF BUCKS and we kill some impressive mature bucks. That's our experience and that's all I'm stating.

Do what works for you!!! You sound like a liberal democrat attempting to display me as telling everyone that our/my way is better. If I had to check a box if QDMA is better than "shooting whatever makes you happy", I'd check QDMA. But do what works for YOU gene! I'm fine with that.

Here's the truth... I don't give a dang what you do as I am NOT judging YOU for your deer mgmt philosophy!!! But you think it's ok to judge/condemn me for my club's deer mgmt?!!? I NEVER condemned shooting what makes hunters happy to shoot! Implement the deer harvest you see fit, that's fine. I just shared on this public forum (imaging sharing my beliefs, Mr. Antifa) what success we're having.

Do WTH you want to gene! I'm not going to condemn you as it's YOUR choice!! Don't condemn me for the kind of deer mgmt I or my club practices.

Last edited by Antlerfluke; 07/09/19 12:32 PM.
Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: WildlifeBiologist] #2847297
07/09/19 12:48 PM
07/09/19 12:48 PM
North AL
A
AU338MAG Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AU338MAG  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
A
North AL
Originally Posted by WildlifeBiologist

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I understand from this is CWD should not affect which deer to shoot, just keep the population balanced and in check. Business as usual on QDM managed properties.

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2847342
07/09/19 01:30 PM
07/09/19 01:30 PM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
What I shoot is decided at the moment my trigger surprises me, how long to supper, or if I feel like hauling a deer out of the swamp.

Its usually a yearling for my smoker or cast iron pan

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/09/19 01:31 PM.
Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2847345
07/09/19 01:31 PM
07/09/19 01:31 PM
B'ham
Goatkiller Offline
14 point
Goatkiller  Offline
14 point
B'ham

Good to know it's Tuesday and we are still have a pack of dumbarses in charge.

Wasn't just shooting all the deer you possibly can proven ineffective by other States? Correct me if I am wrong but the result of that was they still have CWD just a lot less deer in general and hunters are irritated at best in those places.

I do feel sorry for all those in NW Alabama you are about to feel this before the rest of us do. I guess the plan is going to be shoot anything and everything that moves. Good Luck guys.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.
Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2847363
07/09/19 01:57 PM
07/09/19 01:57 PM
Bessemer, Al
H
Hix14 Offline
4 point
Hix14  Offline
4 point
H
Bessemer, Al
Maybe Joe Biden can cure CWD when he cures cancer.

But seriously, our farm in Illinois was hit with "blue tongue" about 6 years ago. Wiped out a ton of deer. Last year, we finally started to see the numbers get back to where they once were. So it took 5 years to restore what was lost in our area, strictly from a numbers stand point. So I'm afraid when CWD finds it's way to the heart of Alabama, we are in for a long, dismal ride.

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2847370
07/09/19 02:07 PM
07/09/19 02:07 PM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
Prions are good with Tabasco sauce

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: JohnnyLoco] #2847410
07/09/19 03:07 PM
07/09/19 03:07 PM
Grays Creek, NC
bigcountry692001 Offline
14 point
bigcountry692001  Offline
14 point
Grays Creek, NC
Prions are good with Tabasco sauce

So.... you were not in military were you? I’m starting to think a three letter agency maybe.... CIA, DIA, NIA.... possibly

"You cant manage a deer herd with acorns."

-Dr. Craig Harper

Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: Remington270] #2847493
07/09/19 05:01 PM
07/09/19 05:01 PM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
I had the unfortunate task of working with three letter agencies. They are on par with wildlife biologist, LEO’s, and liberals, I despise them.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/09/19 05:03 PM.
Re: QDM in the era of CWD [Re: JohnnyLoco] #2847534
07/09/19 06:23 PM
07/09/19 06:23 PM
AL
T
therealhojo Offline
8 point
therealhojo  Offline
8 point
T
AL
I had the unfortunate task of working with three letter agencies. They are on par with wildlife biologist, LEO’s, and liberals, I despise them.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I bet the feeling was mutual...........

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.