</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Christensen Traverse 300 Win Mag
by BPI. 04/25/24 01:37 PM
FS Walker's Razor slim electronic muffs
by Gary Harris. 04/25/24 01:03 PM
Bikini and Bimini top for boat Free
by longshot. 04/25/24 11:57 AM
Taylormade Stealth Irons 5-gw
by toyota05. 04/25/24 11:28 AM
Coon dogs.
by Lonster. 04/25/24 12:17 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
111 registered members (700ltr308, FX4, Sgt_mike, bn163, Turkey_neck, sj22, !shiloh!, hunter84, foldemup, mathews prostaff, BigEd, USeeMSpurs, AL18, woodduck, curt99rsv, Spec, 202P&Y, Fishduck, Beer Belly, cbs, hunterturf, zgobbler5, HSV. HUNTER, Bustinbeards, alhawk, BPI, Mbrock, AJones, slanddeerhunter, donia, lectrode, CrimsonWSM, Jweeks, CeeHawk37, StateLine, MC21, abolt300, Jotjackson, Turkeyneck78, BCLC, 44MAG, Forrestgump1, HHSyelper, auman, CKyleC, hosscat, IDOT, thayerp81, Backwater, hoggin, Rolloverdave, Buck1976, Goatkiller, Richard Cranium, deadeye48, CNC, 7x57_Mauser, Squadron77, courseup, Sgiles, AustinC, AU338MAG, Bigem1958, slippinlipjr, mzzy, dirkdaddy, coldtrail, johnmcgowan, Fattyfireplug, Dean, crenshawco, Kang, Skillet, Remington270, Squeaky, HDS64, eclipse829, AU7MM08, Moss, XVIII, Whild_Bill, Scout308, klay, GomerPyle, CarbonClimber1, Woodsy, laidback, Big Rack, Eutaw, BrentsFX4, Reptar, brett.smith, G/H, Rainbowstew, Tree Dweller, jawbone, Johnal3, square, goodman_hunter, TGreen, weatherby, joe sixpack, 9 invisible), 1,282 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: Clem] #2810041
05/18/19 12:45 PM
05/18/19 12:45 PM
Oregon, Land of Umpqua
A
Alagator Offline
8 point
Alagator  Offline
8 point
A
Oregon, Land of Umpqua
Originally Posted by Clem
Originally Posted by Alagator
It is so complicated

This is the crux of the situation. It eventually gets to the point where hunters and anglers say, "Phuck it, y'all have made it too complicated and not enjoyable anymore. I quit." and they hunt squirrels or fish for bream or just quit altogether.

Less. Is. More.

Clem, you are spot on. From my back window I can get a glimpse of one of the nation's premier steelhead streams (the Umpqua River), and I don't even buy a fishing license. They change the season dates, and place some sections off limits, to correct for the current water conditions in the river. It's not enough to have a license and tags, you have to check their website for the latest closings. Once you catch a steelhead, you must release it unless it is a hatchery fish (clipped adipose fin). If you do keep one you have to use one of your tags on it. On my property I have deer, California quail, mourning doves, band-tailed pigeons, and western grey squirrels. I only hunt the deer because the other seasons, regulations, licenses, tags and bag limits are just too much to deal with.

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: OlTimer] #2810244
05/18/19 07:18 PM
05/18/19 07:18 PM
Dale County, AL
G
Groundhawg Offline
10 point
Groundhawg  Offline
10 point
G
Dale County, AL
Originally Posted by OlTimer
Originally Posted by deerman24
if a club doesn't bait and the one next to it does. Guess which club will have all the deer.

The club that baits will have all the mature deer at night. Easy answer.

Only if the area(s) are over hunted. Feeding corn or other items to the deer will not make them any harder to hunt or cause them to be more nocturnal.

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: longshot] #2810287
05/18/19 08:39 PM
05/18/19 08:39 PM
Michigan
S
Sasquatch Lives Offline
10 point
Sasquatch Lives  Offline
10 point
S
Michigan
Baiting is a bad idea. I grew up in Alabama with no baiting and have lived in Michigan for the past 15 years. Michigan has always been a legal baiting state and has now outlawed baiting beginning this season due to Bovine Tuberculosis, EHD and CWD being found. Passing the baiting bill in Alabama is a bad idea. Will cheapen the experience and tradition and invite diseases which are costly to control. Instead of dads teaching their kids to scout, plant greenfields, etc. they will now teach them how to throw corn on the ground.

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: longshot] #2810290
05/18/19 08:41 PM
05/18/19 08:41 PM
Michigan
S
Sasquatch Lives Offline
10 point
Sasquatch Lives  Offline
10 point
S
Michigan
Think your deer are nocturnal now, wait until you start baiting!

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: Sasquatch Lives] #2810322
05/18/19 09:02 PM
05/18/19 09:02 PM
Dale County, AL
G
Groundhawg Offline
10 point
Groundhawg  Offline
10 point
G
Dale County, AL
Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives

Myth! Hunting in S.C. and Georgia with baiting for years and “feeding” the deer is the least of what causes deer to be nocturnal.

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: longshot] #2810371
05/18/19 09:39 PM
05/18/19 09:39 PM
Florida
J
jacannon Offline
10 point
jacannon  Offline
10 point
J
Florida
People make deer nocturnal. Hunting a corn feeder is no different than a food plot. The more you hunt it the less you see.

Grandma said...Always keep a gun close at hand, you just never know when you might run across some varmint that needs killing...
Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: Clem] #2810380
05/18/19 09:48 PM
05/18/19 09:48 PM
Montgomery / Luverne
crenshawco Online content
Booner
crenshawco  Online Content
Booner
Montgomery / Luverne
It is so complicated

This is the crux of the situation. It eventually gets to the point where hunters and anglers say, "Phuck it, y'all have made it too complicated and not enjoyable anymore. I quit." and they hunt squirrels or fish for bream or just quit altogether.

Less. Is. More.

We're already there IMO. License numbers continue to fall, and dipchits like Chuck continue to make it harder and harder to just go out and hunt and enjoy yourself. We really need to get PCP to replace Chuck, Chris Blankenship, and all the other IDOTs who are coming up with these game laws

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: crenshawco] #2810452
05/18/19 11:55 PM
05/18/19 11:55 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
Originally Posted by crenshawco
It is so complicated

Less. Is. More.

We're already there IMO. License numbers continue to fall, and dipchits like Chuck continue to make it harder and harder to just go out and hunt and enjoy yourself. We really need to get PCP to replace Chuck, Chris Blankenship, and all the other IDOTs who are coming up with these game laws

Hunters numbers is not falling due to regulations that is BS. Hunter numbers are falling due to the mismanagement of the State's deer herd and the steady decline in the number of deer and quality hunting experience. You can thank the liberal does season for that.
As far as the baiting topic....it is legal so it will be allowed and everyone will pony up the $15 or not bitch when they get a ticket.

Life is too short to be small !!

http://crshuntingclub.webs.com/
Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: bigt] #2810523
05/19/19 08:32 AM
05/19/19 08:32 AM
Marshall County
FurFlyin Offline
Freak of Nature
FurFlyin  Offline
Freak of Nature
Marshall County
Originally Posted by bigt
Hunters numbers is not falling due to regulations that is BS. Hunter numbers are falling due to the mismanagement of the State's deer herd and the steady decline in the number of deer and quality hunting experience. You can thank the liberal does season for that.
As far as the baiting topic....it is legal so it will be allowed and everyone will pony up the $15 or not bitch when they get a ticket.

Yep. The 10-15% of hunters who hunt land that has an abundance of deer don't want to hear that, but it's the absolute truth. I know people, other than on aldeer, who hunt in every corner of the state and they all say the same thing. Seeing deer is what gave me the passion when I started deer hunting. Not seeing deer is what made my teenage son grow to dislike deer hunting. It's not hard to figure out, the state folks are just too headstrong to admit it.

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: longshot] #2810527
05/19/19 08:57 AM
05/19/19 08:57 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
Our Club is enrolled in the State’s DMAP System.
Our biologist recommendations are pretty conservative on antlerless harvest.

While I agree that the extremely liberal Season long antlerless season really allowed the herds to be decimated in places, it was hunters themselves who killed them, not the State.

We lease a good-sized chunk of property. And, Mike and I are constantly working behind the scenes on how to ensure that we accept members who share the same Vision and Principles as we do. And, we also have group texts, emails and a private FB page and share information with each other all of the time, year-round. To me, that is a key component; surround yourself with quality, like-minded individuals. We are also lucky to be part of (actually, right in the center of) a huge Co-Op of Clubs that share these same strategies!!
Just because something is allowed does NOT mean that it has to be done. And, with everything, moderation is usually the best answer.

Also, on the issue of corn making deer go nocturnal. That is just untrue. We ran 10 feeders in pre-determined and ‘off-limits’ locations this past Fall. We used them to provide supplemental food and to run cameras on to monitor the deer herd for census info. We got lots of mature buck pics at these unhunted feeders all Winter long. It is NOT the feeders or the feed that causes the change, it is hunting pressure that does that. We work really hard to be sure our deer have MORE quality food than they can utilize through habitat management, year-round food plots and the feeders. The abundance of food, in all of it’s forms, does ensure hat our deer are not malnourished to the point that they are up and moving 24hrs a day to be able to survive on low-quality browse. But, let a good cold front hit.....they will get up and move as well as any. I personally do not want to hunt starving deer. I prefer to hunt healthy deer.

Just my take on all of these issues that people keep bringing up as reasons why this new Law is such a bad idea and their creation of ‘what-if’ scenarios while running around in Chicken Little fashion screaming that the sky is falling. Don’t like it, don’t do it. Don’t like your Club or your Club Rules, get out and join another that is more in alignment with your own ideals. Or, just lease your own and set it up as you wish. Heck, hunt Public Land! Either way, nobody is FORCING anybody to do anything!

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: FurFlyin] #2810536
05/19/19 09:15 AM
05/19/19 09:15 AM
USA
R
Remington270 Online content
Freak of Nature
Remington270  Online Content
Freak of Nature
R
USA
Originally Posted by FurFlyin
[quote=bigt]Seeing deer is what gave me the passion when I started deer hunting. Not seeing deer is what made my teenage son grow to dislike deer hunting. It's not hard to figure out, the state folks are just too headstrong to admit it.

And anytime people do see more than 1-2 does, they’ve been convinced for 30 years now that those does need to die, for the good of the herd. That’s what has made hunting stink in a lot of the state. It’s hilarious circular logic.

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: Hogwild] #2810546
05/19/19 09:27 AM
05/19/19 09:27 AM
Ramer
ronfromramer Offline
10 point
ronfromramer  Offline
10 point
Ramer
Originally Posted by Hogwild

While I agree that the extremely liberal Season long antlerless season really allowed the herds to be decimated in places, it was hunters themselves who killed them, not the State.

We lease a good-sized chunk of property. And, Mike and I are constantly working behind the scenes on how to ensure that we accept members who share the same Vision and Principles as we do. And, we also have group texts, emails and a private FB page and share information with each other all of the time, year-round. To me, that is a key component; surround yourself with quality, like-minded individuals. We are also lucky to be part of (actually, right in the center of) a huge Co-Op of Clubs that share these same strategies!!
Just because something is allowed does NOT mean that it has to be done. And, with everything, moderation is usually the best answer.

Also, on the issue of corn making deer go nocturnal. That is just untrue. We ran 10 feeders in pre-determined and ‘off-limits’ locations this past Fall. We used them to provide supplemental food and to run cameras on to monitor the deer herd for census info. We got lots of mature buck pics at these unhunted feeders all Winter long. It is NOT the feeders or the feed that causes the change, it is hunting pressure that does that. We work really hard to be sure our deer have MORE quality food than they can utilize through habitat management, year-round food plots and the feeders. The abundance of food, in all of it’s forms, does ensure hat our deer are not malnourished to the point that they are up and moving 24hrs a day to be able to survive on low-quality browse. But, let a good cold front hit.....they will get up and move as well as any. I personally do not want to hunt starving deer. I prefer to hunt healthy deer.

Just my take on all of these issues that people keep bringing up as reasons why this new Law is such a bad idea and their creation of ‘what-if’ scenarios while running around in Chicken Little fashion screaming that the sky is falling. Don’t like it, don’t do it. Don’t like your Club or your Club Rules, get out and join another that is more in alignment with your own ideals. Or, just lease your own and set it up as you wish. Heck, hunt Public Land! Either way, nobody is FORCING anybody to do anything!

This thread is just like a train wreck, I try not to look but I just can't help myself. I'm pretty sure there are people on here that could find fault with someone giving away free money

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: Hogwild] #2810552
05/19/19 09:40 AM
05/19/19 09:40 AM
AL
H
hunterbuck Offline
Booner
hunterbuck  Offline
Booner
H
AL

It may work for you because have a fairly ideal situation, though. You cannot deny that.

Not everyone in the state has neighbors who are on the same page they are. Not every club in the state has high acreage:member ratios. I would say that you are in the vast minority in that you do.

High dollar clubs with low member:acreage ratio that already had good hunting probably won't be affected nearly as much as others. Not really even sure it will benefit them all that much. Pressure is the biggest key, and if feeders even at clubs like yours begin to get pressured, sightings will go down. Human nature is to take the easiest path...and the easiest path is to sit and watch a feeder.

In other words, just because you're convinced that it works great for your club doesn't mean it's a great thing for many others.

The state's job is to do what's best for the state's deer herd...not what will benefit a handful of clubs who don't need that much help already. i honestly think they have failed in doing what's best for the state's deer herd.

{Caveat} I'm fortunate enough that I also belong to a high acreage:low member club. We have not supplemental fed in the past, and we will not put out feeders now. We have bears, and we have no desire to have even more bears. Food plots do not attract bears...feeders do, though.

"You think I care? Roll Damn Tide"

Have you tried Google?
Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: FurFlyin] #2810583
05/19/19 10:21 AM
05/19/19 10:21 AM
AL
T
therealhojo Offline
8 point
therealhojo  Offline
8 point
T
AL

Yep. The 10-15% of hunters who hunt land that has an abundance of deer don't want to hear that, but it's the absolute truth. I know people, other than on aldeer, who hunt in every corner of the state and they all say the same thing. Seeing deer is what gave me the passion when I started deer hunting. Not seeing deer is what made my teenage son grow to dislike deer hunting. It's not hard to figure out, the state folks are just too headstrong to admit it.

May I ask a question on the not seeing deer? What is that definition and time line? Is that not seeing any for 1 hunt, 5 hunts, 1 season? The reason I ask, and I don't think it's just kids. The society and mental state we are now is just move to the next thing. I can show you with stats that viewership time spent on videos on FB and Youtube are lower, Why? Because of the adds put in that we have no control over. When the add pops up it's clicked to the next video. I do it. I know everyone else does it. Is it the same with hunting? I don't know that answer, but I would guess yes.

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: therealhojo] #2810590
05/19/19 10:28 AM
05/19/19 10:28 AM
AL
H
hunterbuck Offline
Booner
hunterbuck  Offline
Booner
H
AL
Originally Posted by therealhojo

May I ask a question on the not seeing deer? What is that definition and time line? Is that not seeing any for 1 hunt, 5 hunts, 1 season? The reason I ask, and I don't think it's just kids. The society and mental state we are now is just move to the next thing. I can show you with stats that viewership time spent on videos on FB and Youtube are lower, Why? Because of the adds put in that we have no control over. When the add pops up it's clicked to the next video. I do it. I know everyone else does it. Is it the same with hunting? I don't know that answer, but I would guess yes.

I agree. Kids (and even most adults) have no attention span anymore. No patience. It's no surprise that kids nowadays lose interest if they're not constantly seeing deer. It's the society norm now. Many parents do anything they can to appease the kids, instead of teaching them about patience. Instant and constant gratification is a necessity.

Upwards sports has come to hunting. Everybody gets a trophy, everybody gets to see deer when they hunt. It has to be that way.

"You think I care? Roll Damn Tide"

Have you tried Google?
Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: therealhojo] #2810595
05/19/19 10:49 AM
05/19/19 10:49 AM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Originally Posted by therealhojo

Yes. There's an attitude of and need for immediate gratification and when it doesn't happen, it's someone else's fault.

"I planted all this! I bought (or leased) this land! I paid all this money! I want to see an ungodly amount of deer like "the good old days" and big bucks and they're not here!"

And then it's one of several things, often including:

THE STATE HAS SCREWED ME.

MAH NABORS SHOOT-BAIT E'RRYTHING.

THE DEER ARE NOCTURNAL!

Upward Deer Hunting ... lol. True for a lot of people, though.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: longshot] #2810743
05/19/19 04:28 PM
05/19/19 04:28 PM
Central to South AL
Stickers Offline
8 point
Stickers  Offline
8 point
Central to South AL
Quick poll of our club resulted in all agreeing to buy bait licence, but we will not put out bait during season. We are doing it to support return of fed funds to help the LEO's we call to help us with problems on our property.

WDE
Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: Hogwild] #2810858
05/19/19 07:03 PM
05/19/19 07:03 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there

In what I see as a compromise, it does appear that there was a resolution made by the DCNR to remain neutral and silent on the issue and let the votes be made without any bias from them.

We were told by the Department during the GameCheck deal that there was no "neutral" when it came to a decision of for or against.

We were told that "neutral" was counted as being "for" it.

So, going by their own words publicly made just a couple of years ago, the Department was in favor of this.

Last edited by Clem; 05/19/19 07:04 PM.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: Sasquatch Lives] #2811303
05/20/19 12:10 PM
05/20/19 12:10 PM
Bessemer, Al
H
Hix14 Offline
4 point
Hix14  Offline
4 point
H
Bessemer, Al
Originally Posted by Sasquatch Lives

Maybe it's not the "baiting" per say, but all of the traffic in and out of the bait sites refilling the buckets, checking cameras, etc. That's what will turn the mature bucks even more nocturnal. A food plot is a little different. You plant, it rains and the plot grows. It continues to grow all season no matter how hard it gets pounded. Rarely is there a need to be walking around a plot during season, so it stands to reason a plot will have much less traffic than a bait site. My 2 cents.

Re: No Baiting Clubs? [Re: Remington270] #2811712
05/20/19 08:50 PM
05/20/19 08:50 PM
Georgia
ALclearcut Offline
4 point
ALclearcut  Offline
4 point
Georgia
Originally Posted by Remington270
I’d rather them just increase the price of a license by $15 than have an a la carte menu.

Totally agree. Because now that this door has opened up, the hunting menu is about to become a reality. In Florida you have to buy a hunting license (basically the cover charge just to get into the restaurant), and then an extra permit for deer, an extra permit for turkey, an extra permit for bow hunting, and an extra permit for crossbow. You guys are naive if you don't think this is coming to Alabama. They took something the citizens badly wanted and should have already had (baiting), and used it as a way to open up a new revenue stream that won't stop at just corn.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.