</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Carpet Installation Equipment
by hunter84. 03/27/24 07:12 AM
$20013hp all-power side shaft generator motor
by HollerHunter. 03/26/24 07:43 PM
Serious Deer Talk
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:36 AM
The Hollywood Buck.
by daylate. 03/28/24 10:08 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
111 registered members (huntndad, auman, ts1979flh, jdhunter2011, Joe4majors, JDW25, BCLC, 25-20, aucountry, Huntn2feed5, CarbonClimber1, Gobble4me757, sevenup, Redman3, Skullworks, slippinlipjr, PanolaProductions, WhoMe, Chaser357, AustinC, centralala, foldemup, 270wsm, abolt300, sloughfoot, Haybale, Shaneomac2, Fishduck, Zzzfog, SEWoodsWhitetail, jwalker77, WEMOhunter, Ridge Life, Tigger85, coldtrail, mdavis, odocoileus, wareagle22, lthrstkg1, Dragfan66, Whitebone, DGAMBLER, outdoorguy88, Quack Quack Bang, Mike0360, GMR, sethjamtoe, Calvin, Sasquatch Lives, 7PTSPREAD, Ben2, ronfromramer, skymech, 3Gs, TDog93, TurkeyJoe, Hoytdad10, Turkeyneck78, Obsession, Rockstar007, doublefistful, MarkAlan, CAL, clayk, Big Bore, AUjerbear, bfoote, Bmyers142, Chaser1, goodman_hunter, BigEd, DMC, kodiak06, CeeHawk37, Jdkprp70, TexasHuntress, booner, Okatuppa, buck_buster, Chiller, Mully, JA, Bjoff27, Semo, Okalona, Smitty4Bama, jake44, RidgeRanger, 000buck, Solothurn, NVM1031, DaffyDucksWorstNightmare, Morris, Dixiepatriot, crenshawco, Tree Dweller, Gut Pile 32, treemydog, 13 invisible), 563 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dave Owens [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2790892
04/22/19 01:17 PM
04/22/19 01:17 PM
huntin the big lease
T
Turkeymaster Offline
8 point
Turkeymaster  Offline
8 point
T
huntin the big lease
Originally Posted by poorcountrypreacher

I seldom watch turkey tv, and I don't go to turkey conventions, and I've never even been to a calling contest, so I don't know some of the terminology that other hunters take for granted.

But I can tell you for sure that turkeys make a sound that I would call a putt that can be deadly. It is very close to the same sound as the alarm putt, but it's different, and it means, "Where are you, my love?". It's a sound that both gobblers and hens can make, but I have heard gobblers make it more than hens.

I killed a gobbler the other day that was an older bird and he had a partner. as they came in i adjusted my gun towards one of them, the first one heard me move and stop and started this "putt" or "Cluck" sound becasue he heard me but he couldn't see me. he didn't want to gobble so he just clucked a couple of times. neither turkey was spooked or had any idea i was there so it wasn't an alarm sound. now after I shot, I got to hear one putt as the other ran off. I've had older, more pressured gobblers cluck in close quarters rather than gobble. PCP is exactly right IMO

"All is fair in love, War and Turkey Hunting"
Re: Dave Owens [Re: lectrode] #2790898
04/22/19 01:26 PM
04/22/19 01:26 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Offline
Northport, AL
Originally Posted by lectrode
My biggest takeaway from watching Daves videos is yeah, there calling is as good as it gets. But I have never seen anyone with the drive and tenacity that they have.Being at there spots hours ahead of time and hiking or bicycling for miles and being under turkeys before daylight. Day after day after day, Pretty impressive !

I don't mean this to take away from their calling or maneuvering skill by any means, because they're clearly better than most at both...........but...one think I noticed watching the 2018 videos is that they manage to just about always at least find a bird to fool with, if not a couple to choose from. It seems like there were very very few days last season where they "didn't hear or see a thing".....

Now, I'm certainly FAR from being a "good" turkey hunter, but I honest-to-God believe that even I'm "ok enough" that I could kill 2 or 3 birds out of 10 that I got to "play the game". Problem is, where I suck particularly badly is in the scouting/locating area. I've heard exactly 1 gobbler all season long...and he gobbled twice. That's it.

I guess my point is..........being the best caller and the best "tactician" in the turkey woods doesn't do you a lick of good if you ain't around any birds. Conversely, you can be borderline inept and still manage to kill a few if you're hunting every day of the season, and get to work a bird more days than you don't.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Dave Owens [Re: GomerPyle] #2790918
04/22/19 02:23 PM
04/22/19 02:23 PM
Longwood, FL
J
jlbuc10 Offline
Booner
jlbuc10  Offline
Booner
J
Longwood, FL
Originally Posted by GomerPyle
My biggest takeaway from watching Daves videos is yeah, there calling is as good as it gets. But I have never seen anyone with the drive and tenacity that they have.Being at there spots hours ahead of time and hiking or bicycling for miles and being under turkeys before daylight. Day after day after day, Pretty impressive !

I don't mean this to take away from their calling or maneuvering skill by any means, because they're clearly better than most at both...........but...one think I noticed watching the 2018 videos is that they manage to just about always at least find a bird to fool with, if not a couple to choose from. It seems like there were very very few days last season where they "didn't hear or see a thing".....

Now, I'm certainly FAR from being a "good" turkey hunter, but I honest-to-God believe that even I'm "ok enough" that I could kill 2 or 3 birds out of 10 that I got to "play the game". Problem is, where I suck particularly badly is in the scouting/locating area. I've heard exactly 1 gobbler all season long...and he gobbled twice. That's it.

I guess my point is..........being the best caller and the best "tactician" in the turkey woods doesn't do you a lick of good if you ain't around any birds. Conversely, you can be borderline inept and still manage to kill a few if you're hunting every day of the season, and get to work a bird more days than you don't.

You know you can hunt the same turkeys they hunt right? In fact if you left Tuscaloosa the same time they start walking in youd prob be there by daylight. So maybe it does have to do with drive.

Re: Dave Owens [Re: jlbuc10] #2790925
04/22/19 02:29 PM
04/22/19 02:29 PM
Montgomery / Luverne
crenshawco Online content
Booner
crenshawco  Online Content
Booner
Montgomery / Luverne
Originally Posted by jlbuc10

You know you can hunt the same turkeys they hunt right? In fact if you left Tuscaloosa the same time they start walking in youd prob be there by daylight. So maybe it does have to do with drive.

X2. I know if I hadn't heard but 1 bird gobble 2 times all year, I'd have been driving somewhere else to hunt. I don't get to hunt enough to go listen to silence

Re: Dave Owens [Re: jlbuc10] #2790937
04/22/19 02:40 PM
04/22/19 02:40 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
GomerPyle  Offline
Northport, AL
Originally Posted by jlbuc10

I hunt several different places, including places where other people have been seeing/hearing birds this year and where I saw plenty of sign and heard a few last year.......... I put in a good amount of miles, both driving and then walking.........just no luck.

After killing 2 last year, I joked with someone on here that I was "basically an expert" now if they wanted any advice. Fred warned that I'd just jinxed/cursed myself and I dismissed it. I think he may have been onto something, now.

Although, it also took me like 12 or 13 seasons of deer hunting before I got a shot at a decent racked buck, while other people hunting the same clubs/leases were killing them regularly. I've often wondered if there's something about me that wild game can sense and just drives them away from me (a "curse"....an "aura"...."bad juju"....stinky britches.....whatever). Or maybe I'm just a terrible hunter in general.......or maybe both?

Last edited by GomerPyle; 04/22/19 02:47 PM.

3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Dave Owens [Re: lectrode] #2790957
04/22/19 03:10 PM
04/22/19 03:10 PM
AL
BamaGuitarDude Offline
12 point
BamaGuitarDude  Offline
12 point
AL
My biggest takeaway from watching Daves videos is ... I have never seen anyone with the drive and tenacity that they have
... Pretty impressive !

yup - that was my takeaway, too ... no doubt, GREAT callers - but they don't quit ...

ALDeer physics: for every opinion, there's an equal & opposite opinion

A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Re: Dave Owens [Re: ikillbux] #2790967
04/22/19 03:22 PM
04/22/19 03:22 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
GomerPyle  Offline
Northport, AL
I guess my point in the post above was not to downplay their calling skills, but that I think their scouting/recon skills don't get enough credit, just because most of that is done before season and/or off camera. It's just not exciting and doesn't really make for good footage. But they obviously put in a LOT of work scouting, and clearly they're good at it. I put in a decent amount of work scouting, but I'm obviously not very good at it because I've nothing to show for it.

Last edited by GomerPyle; 04/22/19 03:25 PM.

3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Dave Owens [Re: ikillbux] #2790975
04/22/19 03:31 PM
04/22/19 03:31 PM
Hoover (poor section)
J
Johnal3 Offline
it froze over
Johnal3  Offline
it froze over
J
Hoover (poor section)
Gomer, I just don’t know of many public lands near the central part of the state where you can’t get on a high spot and not hear a turkey gobble ALMOST every morning. Getting on them to kill is a total different story!
Serious question...
Have you had your hearing checked? Have you heard turkeys before and wondered what county or state they may be in? (Jokingly, of course) If not, you need your hearing checked. Are you going back to the same place on these different places you go to? Do you stand still when you listen? Like dead still? Not fiddling around in pockets or scratching your nuts or looking on Aldeer? Try cupping your hands behind your ears if you haven’t already. I’m just trying to come up with a way for you to hear better. It’s hard to believe you’ve hunted as much as you have and haven’t heard more turkeys.

Originally Posted by BPS
This is Aldeer! The place people come to vent their frustrations and completely change their stance a few minutes later... grin
Re: Dave Owens [Re: ikillbux] #2790981
04/22/19 03:35 PM
04/22/19 03:35 PM
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...

Gomer, I don’t know if your hunting hills or flat ground but in any kind of hill country you should be able to get on the highest point and hear one from a mile away on a calm morning. After a couple mornings of silence I’m moving on. I don’t care what I heard there last year or what Jimmy told me about the bird he heard. Jimmys probably a liar 😀

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4
Re: Dave Owens [Re: Johnal3] #2790985
04/22/19 03:38 PM
04/22/19 03:38 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
GomerPyle  Offline
Northport, AL
Originally Posted by Johnal3
Gomer, I just don’t know of many public lands near the central part of the state where you can’t get on a high spot and not hear a turkey gobble ALMOST every morning. Getting on them to kill is a total different story!
Serious question...
Have you had your hearing checked? Have you heard turkeys before and wondered what county or state they may be in? (Jokingly, of course) If not, you need your hearing checked. Are you going back to the same place on these different places you go to? Do you stand still when you listen? Like dead still? Not fiddling around in pockets or scratching your nuts or looking on Aldeer? Try cupping your hands behind your ears if you haven’t already. I’m just trying to come up with a way for you to hear better. It’s hard to believe you’ve hunted as much as you have and haven’t heard more turkeys.

well, that's another part...I am pretty sure I have hearing loss to some extent, which certainly doesn't help. I have noticed that, in particular, I have trouble picking specific sounds out through a lot of background noise. For example. I can be in our living room watching TV and my wife can be in the [closed-off] kitchen washing dishes, 2 rooms away, and I have trouble hearing the tv over the sound of the sink running.

With that said, I've often heard birds gobble from what seemed like a good distance off, although when they're a long way off I do have trouble determining a direction. If they gobble multiple times and I can turn my head WHILE they're mid-gobble, I can usually pinpoint a general direction. So, as long as it's a relatively calm day, my problem isn't so much hearing them, it's just telling where they are once I do hear them.

Last edited by GomerPyle; 04/22/19 03:40 PM.

3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Dave Owens [Re: ikillbux] #2790988
04/22/19 03:40 PM
04/22/19 03:40 PM
Lamar
F
Fishduck Online content
6 point
Fishduck  Online Content
6 point
F
Lamar
I watched several episodes where guys come down the road, stop the truck and call. The turkey Dave is working (or under the roost tree waiting) stops gobbling. After the hunter leaves, the game resumes. I will bet those guys were swearing that area had no turkeys.

Re: Dave Owens [Re: GomerPyle] #2791354
04/22/19 11:37 PM
04/22/19 11:37 PM
A
Atoler Offline
14 point
Atoler  Offline
14 point
A
I guess my point in the post above was not to downplay their calling skills, but that I think their scouting/recon skills don't get enough credit, just because most of that is done before season and/or off camera. It's just not exciting and doesn't really make for good footage. But they obviously put in a LOT of work scouting, and clearly they're good at it. I put in a decent amount of work scouting, but I'm obviously not very good at it because I've nothing to show for it.

I think you are assuming they have these birds pinpointed a lot better than they do. They are really good at reading a map and getting within earshot of a bird based on that. If they don’t kill him that day, they are honed in on him the next. There’s not much actual “feet on the ground scouting” involved in a U.S. Slam.

I’d agree with John, you may need to get your hearing checked. I’ve hunted a lot of wmas in this state, including the one you frequent. On a good weather morning, you’re gonna hear atleast a few ghost gobbles from a highpoint in turkey habitat. It would be an abnormal day not to.

Re: Dave Owens [Re: Atoler] #2791423
04/23/19 06:49 AM
04/23/19 06:49 AM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
GomerPyle  Offline
Northport, AL
Originally Posted by Atoler

I think you are assuming they have these birds pinpointed a lot better than they do. They are really good at reading a map and getting within earshot of a bird based on that. If they don’t kill him that day, they are honed in on him the next. There’s not much actual “feet on the ground scouting” involved in a U.S. Slam.

I’d agree with John, you may need to get your hearing checked. I’ve hunted a lot of wmas in this state, including the one you frequent. On a good weather morning, you’re gonna hear atleast a few ghost gobbles from a highpoint in turkey habitat. It would be an abnormal day not to.

Like I said, I know I've got hearing damage to some extent but there's not much that can be done about it. But last year I didnt have trouble hearing birds most mornings, it was just a matter of figuring out where they were and/or getting to them. This year, I'm not even hearing them at all and I have noticed any significant change in my hearing in the last 12 months.

Your point about reading maps and navigating terrain makes sense though. I'll concede that.

3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Dave Owens [Re: ikillbux] #2791540
04/23/19 09:40 AM
04/23/19 09:40 AM
South Baldwin
J
JayHook2 Offline
4 point
JayHook2  Offline
4 point
J
South Baldwin
So how many birds did they actually kill out of 50 or so days of hunting?

Re: Dave Owens [Re: ikillbux] #2791543
04/23/19 09:42 AM
04/23/19 09:42 AM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport
The thing with Dave is twofold. First, there are several spots that he's familiar with that he checks every year. I hunted up at Mulberry Fork for about 6 years... and I could go up there tomorrow morning and take you to some places where birds will be holding (providing timber hasn't changed substantially). Once you find those spots (and some of them are "killing spots"), you tuck them away in the back of your mind and always visit them during the season. Second, Dave's been hunting long enough that he knows where turkeys will (and will not) be found. If you give him an aerial map with topo lines on it and tell him to hunt a small section of it, I guarantee you that when he walks in the woods he's going to get onto sign pretty quickly... he just knows where birds will be at different times of the year. Plus, he knows where birds typically will roost and their behavior at different times in the season.

As someone mentioned above, it's mainly about one's drive to master this sport. Going back to Mulberry Fork, I'm not going to get up at 3 PM so I can drive up to the WMA and sit at a gate for an hour... and then hike in for at least a mile. I'm just not that mad at them any longer... and I have a family that's more important to me than birds. wink

Last edited by Bamarich2; 04/23/19 09:43 AM.
Re: Dave Owens [Re: GomerPyle] #2791705
04/23/19 01:08 PM
04/23/19 01:08 PM
AL
Gobble4me757 Online happy
10 point
Gobble4me757  Online Happy
10 point
AL
Originally Posted by Atoler

Like I said, I know I've got hearing damage to some extent but there's not much that can be done about it. But last year I didnt have trouble hearing birds most mornings, it was just a matter of figuring out where they were and/or getting to them. This year, I'm not even hearing them at all and I have noticed any significant change in my hearing in the last 12 months.

Your point about reading maps and navigating terrain makes sense though. I'll concede that.

You can get some walkers game ears or something like that...I hunt with a guy that uses them now, and it's made it so he can finally get back to hearing the birds gobble again.

2017 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
2018 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
Re: Dave Owens [Re: JayHook2] #2791810
04/23/19 03:09 PM
04/23/19 03:09 PM
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
Originally Posted by JayHook2
Prolly enough to significantly increase their likelihood of getting lung cancer. LOL!

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters
Re: Dave Owens [Re: JUGHEAD] #2791848
04/23/19 04:05 PM
04/23/19 04:05 PM
Harvest, AL
AU coonhunter Offline
10 point
AU coonhunter  Offline
10 point
Harvest, AL
Originally Posted by JUGHEAD
Originally Posted by JayHook2
Prolly enough to significantly increase their likelihood of getting lung cancer. LOL!

Lol, I tried to count the number last year from the videos. If I remember correctly it was 35ish in 70ish days of hunting.

Re: Dave Owens [Re: ikillbux] #2791860
04/23/19 04:24 PM
04/23/19 04:24 PM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
GomerPyle  Offline
Northport, AL

Yeah, I think I remember it being in the mid/upper-30's......that was 4 or 5 killers in a few different states

3. Taxation Is Theft
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.