</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB .22 LR Bolt Action
by Cuz-Pat. 04/23/24 09:19 PM
Iso Henry Golden boy
by AustinC. 04/23/24 08:32 PM
Basketball goal.... Free
by longshot. 04/23/24 06:18 PM
FS: Henry Single Shot
by Ron A.. 04/23/24 05:41 PM
Honda Foreman 4WD
by eeua90. 04/23/24 01:35 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
55 registered members (TexasHuntress, flounderpounder, Mbrock, AU338MAG, auman, farmerjay, Gobble4me757, BCLC, BAR1225, Cactus_buck, twaldrop4, desertdog, Sixpointholler, Chaser357, top cat, woodduck, Whild_Bill, SuperSpike, Dubie, bamabug, Mike0360, Tigger85, SEWoodsWhitetail, jaydub12, Hunting-231, DThrash, CAL, mdavis, Cuz-Pat, paintrock, Auburn1716, Turkeyhunter12, thayerp81, Dixiepatriot, Tailwalk7, sevenup, Uokman2014, 7x57_Mauser, jake5050, T72, YellaLineHunter, UA Hunter, LongBeards29, Mmiller, CarbonClimber1, Holcomb, Longtine, Atoler, BAR II .270, Butchman205, Paxamus, 4 invisible), 586 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2785984
04/15/19 01:32 PM
04/15/19 01:32 PM
Slidell, La
perchjerker Offline OP
Freak of Nature
perchjerker  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Slidell, La
You're funny. There are way more things you can't fish on spinning tackle. The reels just don't have the power of a baitcaster. I can use both and do only use one for finesse lures. If what you say is true, why aren't the Pros all always using spinning tackle instead od baitcasting? They do it for a living, so I'm sure they are more competent than most with both. I'm comfortable with both and spinning tackle handles light line better for me. I caught my biggest bass on a spinning rig. When I was young i thought the same things you seem to be saying, but one trip with a guy that was an expert with a baitcaster changed that forever. He was placing a sally in small holes and placing in the water almost silently. The thought of fishing deep divers, a frog or other power lures on spinning tackle is funny to me.

Thomas Jefferson. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Life is too short to only hunt and fish on weekends!

If being a dumbass was fatal some of you would be on your death bed!

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: ikillbux] #2786042
04/15/19 02:48 PM
04/15/19 02:48 PM
north Alabama
biglmbass Offline
14 point
biglmbass  Offline
14 point
north Alabama
Originally Posted by ikillbux
Also, if you're throwing Senkos, trick worms, or wacky-rigs on a baitcaster, you're doing it wrong!!! thumbup grin

Horse hockey. I can zing a trick worm way out yonder with a baitcaster.

Folks still fish wacky-rigs??

Originally Posted by hillmp
The left lane is for the the purpose of moving the flow of traffic forward regardless of the speed limit. If your impeding the flow of traffic get your ass in the right lane. It's really that simple...

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786061
04/15/19 03:06 PM
04/15/19 03:06 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted by perchjerker
You're funny. There are way more things you can't fish on spinning tackle. The reels just don't have the power of a baitcaster. I can use both and do only use one for finesse lures. If what you say is true, why aren't the Pros all always using spinning tackle instead od baitcasting? They do it for a living, so I'm sure they are more competent than most with both. I'm comfortable with both and spinning tackle handles light line better for me. I caught my biggest bass on a spinning rig. When I was young i thought the same things you seem to be saying, but one trip with a guy that was an expert with a baitcaster changed that forever. He was placing a sally in small holes and placing in the water almost silently. The thought of fishing deep divers, a frog or other power lures on spinning tackle is funny to me.

Oh naw, I'm not arguing for spinning stuff over baitcast stuff (I said I still use baitcast stuff more often), there's just this widespread sentiment out there that it's not macho to use spinning gear. "If I can't catch em with my 7'-11" HXF and 80# braid, then I'm not interested in catching it" (that's how it comes across). You ALWAYS hear it, everybody says it, heck look how many people just on this thread said it (and it wasn't even asking about rods and reels, but people thought it'd tough-guy I reckon to clown on spinning equipment). It's way more complex than just casting reasons or "power", in fact I see the pros use spinning stuff A LOT!!! Frankly I love that most local yocals won't use spinning stuff, I hope they never learn any better! laugh The only thing I love more than winning a tournament with spots, is doing it with spinning stuff thumbup grin

Again, it's just preference... I'm (more often than not) a small-profile lure guy, that's one of the reasons I don't like jigs. I fished a trail last year where I was paired with a guy I didn't know (he was my non-boater). Fit the stereotype perfectly rofl First day we fished together (it was February at Wedowee, clear deep rocky lake) we start off along a bank and I'm throwing a fairly lightweight spinning combo and a #6 Shad Rap. He's throwing a $400 St Croix pool-cue with a freakin' black-blue jig the size of my hat!!!! His words, "Since you're more 'finessin' em', I'll throw this and go for the big bite." (I just rolled my eyes, clearly he's more macho than I am) After back-to-back HOGS choked that Shad Rap (and he made remarks about how he couldn't believe I got those fish in), and I reckon I had caught 7 or 8 fish total, he hadn't had a single bite, I saw him tie on a "KVD 2.5" (I don't even own one of those) and proceeded to still get his butt whooped the rest of the day. And I'll be dang, still wanted to run that cake eater about how "Yeah but if I get the 'right bite' on that jig...." That's what I mean. What the heck was "finessin' em" about that?????? What was his point? I had a near 6-pounder and a 4-1/2 pounder back to back, almost 17 lbs total. Many times I've frog fished Guntersville with gorilla-gear and not had that much weight. Again, I don't see what everybody's deal is about spinning equipment. I would NOT have caught those fish without it....it's freakin' hard to throw a Shad Rap (esp a #6) with baitcast stuff, especially to get any distance out of it in the breeze, and the drag on a spinning reel is smooth enough to not let those big fish pull off on a Shad Rap. It's WAAAYY more complex than just "casting".

Last edited by ikillbux; 04/15/19 03:09 PM.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786094
04/15/19 03:40 PM
04/15/19 03:40 PM
Slidell, La
perchjerker Offline OP
Freak of Nature
perchjerker  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Slidell, La
First, there is no #6 Shadrap. #7 then #5. I throw a 5 on a Shimano baitcaster, and have caught many over 5lbs on one that way. Like I said, I'm comfortable with both and each has it's place. It's not a macho thing with me. While I may joke about them being fairy wands. Rods and reels are merely tools of the trade. Knowing when and how to use each is the key to success. In the 80's Guido Hibdon was in a tournament on Rayburn. He was fishing a gitzit in buck brush for big bedding bass. Of course, he was using spinning tackle and light line. He failed to win due to his inability to horse those big sows from the brush, While he may not have been able to get bit on heavier tackle, which is worse? Getting bit and broke off or never getting bit? Either way failure is failure. The key is knowing when and how to use the appropriate method.

Thomas Jefferson. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: ikillbux] #2786100
04/15/19 03:45 PM
04/15/19 03:45 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
I fished a trail last year where I was paired with a guy I didn't know (he was my non-boater). Fit the stereotype perfectly rofl First day we fished together (it was February at Wedowee, clear deep rocky lake) we start off along a bank and I'm throwing a fairly lightweight spinning combo and a #6 Shad Rap. He's throwing a $400 St Croix pool-cue with a freakin' black-blue jig the size of my hat!!!! His words, "Since you're more 'finessin' em', I'll throw this and go for the big bite." (I just rolled my eyes, clearly he's more macho than I am) After back-to-back HOGS choked that Shad Rap (and he made remarks about how he couldn't believe I got those fish in), and I reckon I had caught 7 or 8 fish total, he hadn't had a single bite, I saw him tie on a "KVD 2.5" (I don't even own one of those) and proceeded to still get his butt whooped the rest of the day. And I'll be dang, still wanted to run that cake eater about how "Yeah but if I get the 'right bite' on that jig...." That's what I mean. What the heck was "finessin' em" about that?????? What was his point?

His point was he couldn't believe you weren't a real man since you had "that" rod, line and bait. Despite getting his ass whipped all day by you he would rather go down with the ship than admit he was wrong or pick up a spinning rod.

That's being a dumbass. It's not being stubborn, or having confidence waitin' on his "big bite." It's merely being an egotistical dumbass.

I know plenty of guys who have fished tournaments who said they'd rather zero than "have to use that fairy stick." REALLY? You paid money to get into the tournament but would rather go home with an ass-kicking than to learn how to use another tool and improve your abilities and results? That's stupid.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786107
04/15/19 03:54 PM
04/15/19 03:54 PM
Slidell, La
perchjerker Offline OP
Freak of Nature
perchjerker  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Slidell, La
I would have probably tried a jig too. I don't like throwing the same lure as the guy I'm with. My choice of jig would have been towards finesse too. 1/4 oz green pumpkin with a green pumpkin chigger craw, on about 12 lb test. If that failed I'd have picked up my spinning rod with a shakey head and 4" green pumpkin senko with a chart tail.
If that failed, I'd start cranking a small handmade square bill in a foil pattern. One of these would have had to catch some fish for me. I don't like getting stroked by my boat mate for the day!!!

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: biglmbass] #2786178
04/15/19 05:21 PM
04/15/19 05:21 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Also, if you're throwing Senkos, trick worms, or wacky-rigs on a baitcaster, you're doing it wrong!!! thumbup grin

Horse hockey. I can zing a trick worm way out yonder with a baitcaster.

Folks still fish wacky-rigs??

if youre fishing it real shallow then you can get by but ill catch them on a senko or trick worm in 30-50 foot of water when they are suspended at 15-20 foot. you wont do that with a baitcaster

We will burn that bridge when we get there
Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786203
04/15/19 06:00 PM
04/15/19 06:00 PM
Clay co
A
Ar1220 Offline
12 point
Ar1220  Offline
12 point
A
Clay co
Jerkbait
Swim jig

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786446
04/15/19 09:39 PM
04/15/19 09:39 PM
Cullman
Z
Zkd22 Offline
8 point
Zkd22  Offline
8 point
Z
Cullman
Braided line was a game changer for spinning reels. Pretty sure there is #4 - #9 shad raps but I could be wrong

Last edited by Zkd22; 04/15/19 09:44 PM.
Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786529
04/16/19 06:24 AM
04/16/19 06:24 AM
Trussville Alabama
inatree Offline
14 point
inatree  Offline
14 point
Trussville Alabama
Jig's. And I have caught more fish on a spinning set up that baitcasters.

Free men aren't equal and equal men aren't free! I choose to defend my freedom!
Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: inatree] #2786531
04/16/19 06:25 AM
04/16/19 06:25 AM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
Originally Posted by inatree
Jig's. And I have caught more fish on a spinning set up that baitcasters.

sissy!!!!

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786575
04/16/19 07:49 AM
04/16/19 07:49 AM
Trussville Alabama
inatree Offline
14 point
inatree  Offline
14 point
Trussville Alabama
Hey Beadles I help but tell the truth. Lol

Free men aren't equal and equal men aren't free! I choose to defend my freedom!
Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786626
04/16/19 08:54 AM
04/16/19 08:54 AM
Slidell, La
perchjerker Offline OP
Freak of Nature
perchjerker  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Slidell, La
ZKD, I stand corrected. There now is a 4 & 6 shadrap. I've never seen either in over 40 yrs of buying bass lures. Now they run from 4-9. I do own every other size than those two, but most of my catching has been done on a #5 and a #7.

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786676
04/16/19 10:02 AM
04/16/19 10:02 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
First, there is no #6 Shadrap. #7 then #5. I throw a 5 on a Shimano baitcaster, and have caught many over 5lbs on one that way. Like I said, I'm comfortable with both and each has it's place. It's not a macho thing with me. While I may joke about them being fairy wands. Rods and reels are merely tools of the trade. Knowing when and how to use each is the key to success. In the 80's Guido Hibdon was in a tournament on Rayburn. He was fishing a gitzit in buck brush for big bedding bass. Of course, he was using spinning tackle and light line. He failed to win due to his inability to horse those big sows from the brush, While he may not have been able to get bit on heavier tackle, which is worse? Getting bit and broke off or never getting bit? Either way failure is failure. The key is knowing when and how to use the appropriate method.

Oh yeah, there's a 4-5-6-7-8-9. 99% of places only stock the 5 or 7, but the 6 is the "perfect" Shad Rap. Upsize the front hook one size too (you'll get a slower float, almost suspend in coooold water). #6 in Demon is a bad mofo!

I just prefer throwing it on spinning stuff. I feel like I've got more control of it, I'm not over-working it, I get more distance on each cast with no difficulty, and again I believe the drag and lighter rod action on the spinning combo is just more conducive to landing the fish. I'm not saying it's a substantial, game changing difference, but it's enough that I'm not chancing it.

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786719
04/16/19 11:06 AM
04/16/19 11:06 AM
Slidell, La
perchjerker Offline OP
Freak of Nature
perchjerker  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Slidell, La
Years ago in Texas, I caught lots of bass during the winter on a deep diving Bagleys Honey-B. I'd love to have had a Shadrap that small then. I threw those lures on a spinning reel. I was always fishing rocky areas with no chance of fish diving into brush. I have both sizes on the way now from Tackle Warehouse. I bet the #4 will kill crappie too.
I fished with a lot of guys that couldn't cast a spinning reel, they'd release wrong and the lure would go straight up.
As I've said, each is a tool. To be an efficient fisherman you need to know how and when to use both.

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786780
04/16/19 12:19 PM
04/16/19 12:19 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Years ago in Texas, I caught lots of bass during the winter on a deep diving Bagleys Honey-B. I'd love to have had a Shadrap that small then. I threw those lures on a spinning reel. I was always fishing rocky areas with no chance of fish diving into brush. I have both sizes on the way now from Tackle Warehouse. I bet the #4 will kill crappie too.
I fished with a lot of guys that couldn't cast a spinning reel, they'd release wrong and the lure would go straight up.
As I've said, each is a tool. To be an efficient fisherman you need to know how and when to use both.

I got a wild hair and ordered a #9 "Super" Shad Rap back a few months ago. Basic impression.... "meh". It's just too big. I'm sure if I stuck with it, one would eventually eat it, but that sucker's really big. Our club gets a "VIP discount" direct from Rapala, so I didn't pay much for it, but it was a waste of my money.

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2786955
04/16/19 04:11 PM
04/16/19 04:11 PM
Moss Creek
Gotcha1 Offline
Bright Eyes
Gotcha1  Offline
Bright Eyes
Moss Creek

Larry, Larry, Larry. Tom Mann could fish any way possible and he didn't
own a baitcaster. Never saw him use one. Never saw one in the boat.

Matt Brock wears knock-off Crocs.
Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2787036
04/16/19 06:36 PM
04/16/19 06:36 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield

sometimes i throw the original scum frog on a spinning rod with braid

shhhh don't tell nobody

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: perchjerker] #2787041
04/16/19 06:42 PM
04/16/19 06:42 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
I'm just a tackle junky anyway.... I'm not the guy who spends big dollars on super high end rods and reels, but I like getting new stuff, mostly in the $100-$200 range. In recent times, I would highly, highly, highly recommend the following reels:
Baitcaster: Daiwa Tatula SV TW (I'm in love with this fool reel) They are $199 retail, but look on eBay and you can get them for $150-$160 ish.
Spinning: Shimano Nasci. I bought a 2500 two or three years ago when they released, it's incredible...no way that's a $100 reel. I bought a 3000 last year for slightly more beefy presentations, and I use this one for speckled trout too.

Rods:
Baitcaster: Dobyns Fury series. I've recently bought a 703C and now a 734C. Again, no way that's a $120 rod.....I can't tell any difference between them and the Champion series.
Spinning: When I bought that 3000 Nasci reel I also ordered a rod to pair it with, got one of the new split-grip Curado rods from Shimano. Ho. Lee. Cow. Freakin sweet, and you can jack em with it!! (I was given a VIP card from Shimano and got that reel and rod for 55% off)

Re: Least favorite lure to fish???? [Re: ikillbux] #2787086
04/16/19 07:52 PM
04/16/19 07:52 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
I'm just a tackle junky anyway.... I'm not the guy who spends big dollars on super high end rods and reels, but I like getting new stuff, mostly in the $100-$200 range. In recent times, I would highly, highly, highly recommend the following reels:
Baitcaster: Daiwa Tatula SV TW (I'm in love with this fool reel) They are $199 retail, but look on eBay and you can get them for $150-$160 ish.
Spinning: Shimano Nasci. I bought a 2500 two or three years ago when they released, it's incredible...no way that's a $100 reel. I bought a 3000 last year for slightly more beefy presentations, and I use this one for speckled trout too.

Rods:
Baitcaster: Dobyns Fury series. I've recently bought a 703C and now a 734C. Again, no way that's a $120 rod.....I can't tell any difference between them and the Champion series.
Spinning: When I bought that 3000 Nasci reel I also ordered a rod to pair it with, got one of the new split-grip Curado rods from Shimano. Ho. Lee. Cow. Freakin sweet, and you can jack em with it!! (I was given a VIP card from Shimano and got that reel and rod for 55% off)

ive got a fury 733c its there senko fluke etc rod and it feels awesome. ita a good rod for the money

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.