</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB .22 LR Bolt Action
by Cuz-Pat. 04/23/24 09:19 PM
Iso Henry Golden boy
by AustinC. 04/23/24 08:32 PM
Basketball goal.... Free
by longshot. 04/23/24 06:18 PM
FS: Henry Single Shot
by Ron A.. 04/23/24 05:41 PM
Honda Foreman 4WD
by eeua90. 04/23/24 01:35 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:46 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
117 registered members (handgunner, hallb, KENT, BCLC, Backwards cowboy, biglmbass, sj22, coldtrail, Scout308, Clayton, Parker243, Wildboar14, Fleahopmayor, RockFarmer, Cahabariverrat, aubigmac, Keysbowman, catdoctor, JLavender, hue, Driveby, georgiaboy1970, crocker, OldgoatTN68, davmart65, Xbow, Ryano, BuckRidge17, deadeye48, ALDawg, bates2rw, TurkeyJoe, JohnG, cdaddy14, Catbird, jtillery, leroyb, Lightfoot, timberwolfe, nate409, MS_Hunter, TCG5, MarkCollin, Mack1, twaldrop4, Lonster, Turkey_neck, Smitty4Bama, 7PTSPREAD, Woody1, Big AL 76, millstoneman, AustinC, wareagul, Doeslayer44, Elba thermal, Whild_Bill, trlrdrdave, Cactus_buck, Drycreek, Dean, mayberry51, GrandSlam, Whiskey9, bn163, Rolloverdave, Crawfish, fur_n_feathers, NotsoBright, Skillet, Okatuppa, klay, Buckwheat, JBrown1975, jhardy, mathews prostaff, zgobbler5, Hunting15, foldemup, WEMOhunter, oldbowhunter, Aldecks1, BrentsFX4, Richard Cranium, Atoler, mdf, Turkey, kodiak06, trailmix, Brownitsdown, cullbuck, Squadron77, blazer625, Irishguy, oldforester, NoHuntin, outdoorguy88, HDS64, XVIII, Brian_C, BD, Shane99, MarkAlan, AU338MAG, CarbonClimber1, Gizmo76, hunter84, 10 invisible), 465 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
crazy turkey kills... #278011
02/05/12 07:19 AM
02/05/12 07:19 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
alabama
what ya got???

I've got a couple. In 1983 I was hunting Hale Co on what is now the Drummond place. I called up a nice bird in the afternoon and shot him at a misjudged 45 yards. He flipped over, flopped like crazy and started running before I could get to him. As "we" ran thru,over.around, the woods I managed to fire off three more shots at close range. All misses. My legs turned to stone and breath was coming harder at each step. I finally slammed on the brakes and let him get out maybe 25 yards and finished him. We both lay down, convulsing and flopping. Thought I was gonna die.....

Several years later I was hunting on Stags Head Lodge property in Greene Co with my 12ga muzzleloader. It was one of those still, foggy mornings. Only bird I heard was couple hundred yards across the line. After a while I eased over to the property line to see if he was still there. It was thick honeysuckle near the line. I eased up to the line and saw the bird 150 yards er so away in a pasture. I yelped at him and he answered. He wasn't going to leave those 5-6 hens he had but it was fun to make him gobble. I was down on my knee yelping when I heard a gobble that didn't sound like it came from in front. I turned my head and there was a gobbler at maybe ten steps TO MY RIGHT. As he passed behind a small sapling I threw the gun up LEFT handed and fired. White smoke enveloped the entire area. I couldn't see the bird but I could hear him flopping hard. I covered the ten steps and jumped on him as he flopped in. under, and around the honeysuckle. Someone could of made good money with a video of that fight. I finally choked him down and broke his neck.

Back at the lodge I was talking with the two guys I came with and one of them asked how far the shot was as he looked at the bird. He said no way, there is no shot in this birds head. We skinned the head..no shot. Skinned the whole bird...no shot.

I had missed with that hurried left hand shot, skeered the crap out of the gobbler with the smoke who then got tangled in the honeysuckle vines. A bare handed cluster**** of a turkey kill....

troy

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278030
02/05/12 08:49 AM
02/05/12 08:49 AM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Good ones Fred.

I've got one.

My buddy Chris was hunting with me season before last. At daylight a bird fired up on the limb about 150 yards off our cow pasture on what we call the Home Place. So we crossed over the barbed wire fence and there was an old dim logging road that ran right out through the pines to where he was roosted.

So Chris set up against a tree about 60 yards down the old road and I remained just inside the fence to do a call through and draw the bird to him. Well the bird pitched off the roost and flew down in the road alright. But instead of coming up it to my calls like we figured he swung out to our right; came up the hill through the woods; crossed under the barbed wire fence into the cow pasture; and circled around about 45 yards directly behind the tree I was set up on. He moved back and forth gobbling his @$$ off for I don't know how long.

Finally I slid down and rolled over on my left side to look behind the tree. Couldn't see jack to that side through the fence, bushes and trees. Rolled over on my right side and I could see him back there behind me at times as he moved back and forth. In this position I had to switch over and shoot left handed. I was in a horrible cramped position and "Finally" he moved far enough for a clear shot at his head.

When I shot two things happened. One, the red dot sight on my shotgun nearly gouged my eyeball out. And two, the turkey flew up in a pine tree out in the pasture. As I was sitting there pissed because I thought I missed the gobbler he suddenly fell back down through the tree bouncing off about three limbs before hitting the ground with a thump.

By now Chris is standing beside and before I could say anything he calmly says, "You're Bleeding." I put my hand up to my left eye and there is blood all over that cheek and now my hand. Big gash under my left eye. Oh well, worry about that later. Let's go get the turkey. When we cross the fence and get out to the tree there is nothing at the base of it but some feathers where he hit the ground.

We start looking around and Chris spots him back down the hill near the fence. The gobbler is walking around and around in about a 3 foot circle. Strangest thing you ever saw. So we walk down and dispatched him with a finishing shot.

I have the fan and beard of that bird on my wall. Not close to the biggest I ever killed but a very memorable hunt with a good friend.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: Todd1700] #278080
02/05/12 10:17 AM
02/05/12 10:17 AM
central alabama
J
JA Offline
pic perv
JA  Offline
pic perv
J
central alabama
Originally Posted By: Todd1700
Good ones Fred.

I've got one.

My buddy Chris was hunting with me season before last. At daylight a bird fired up on the limb about 150 yards off our cow pasture on what we call the Home Place. So we crossed over the barbed wire fence and there was an old dim logging road that ran right out through the pines to where he was roosted.

So Chris set up against a tree about 60 yards down the old road and I remained just inside the fence to do a call through and draw the bird to him. Well the bird pitched off the roost and flew down in the road alright. But instead of coming up it to my calls like we figured he swung out to our right; came up the hill through the woods; crossed under the barbed wire fence into the cow pasture; and circled around about 45 yards directly behind the tree I was set up on. He moved back and forth gobbling his @$$ off for I don't know how long.

Finally I slid down and rolled over on my left side to look behind the tree. Couldn't see jack to that side through the fence, bushes and trees. Rolled over on my right side and I could see him back there behind me at times as he moved back and forth. In this position I had to switch over and shoot left handed. I was in a horrible cramped position and "Finally" he moved far enough for a clear shot at his head.

When I shot two things happened. One, the red dot sight on my shotgun nearly gouged my eyeball out. And two, the turkey flew up in a pine tree out in the pasture. As I was sitting there pissed because I thought I missed the gobbler he suddenly fell back down through the tree bouncing off about three limbs before hitting the ground with a thump.

By now Chris is standing beside and before I could say anything he calmly says, "You're Bleeding." I put my hand up to my left eye and there is blood all over that cheek and now my hand. Big gash under my left eye. Oh well, worry about that later. Let's go get the turkey. When we cross the fence and get out to the tree there is nothing at the base of it but some feathers where he hit the ground.

We start looking around and Chris spots him back down the hill near the fence. The gobbler is walking around and around in about a 3 foot circle. Strangest thing you ever saw. So we walk down and dispatched him with a finishing shot.

I have the fan and beard of that bird on my wall. Not close to the biggest I ever killed but a very memorable hunt with a good friend.

Now that is a funny story. laughup

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: JA] #278159
02/05/12 11:51 AM
02/05/12 11:51 AM
Alabama
cahaba Offline
4 point
cahaba  Offline
4 point
Alabama
ROFL at both them stories.

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278183
02/05/12 12:29 PM
02/05/12 12:29 PM
Hoover (poor section)
J
Johnal3 Offline
it froze over
Johnal3  Offline
it froze over
J
Hoover (poor section)
Good ones!

My dad and I got permission to hunt a few hundred acres outside of Brookwood back around 99 or 2000. We hadn't hardly seen the place, but knew a little about it. We decided we were gonna hunt it one Saturday morning. I was in college, so I told dad we needed to try and roost 1 Friday pm to maybe give us a head start. He works at the mines there in Brookwood, so he said he'd meet me over there and show me around a little and he'd have to get back to work.

Well, we meet up about 330 and drive out to a big powerline. We were up on top of a ginormous hill on a flat that was around 300 yards long. We walk the road that was running down the powerline, and stop at the edge of the hill. There were strut marks, and tracks everywhere, so I told him I was just gonna stay there and listen. We stayed there shootin the bull for a minute or 2, and I pulled out my slate and made a series of calls, just to see what happened. We didn't hear anything, so we just carried on bullcrappin for a minute or so, when dad says,"be still!" My first reaction was to look where he was looking, and I'll be dang, there was a gobbler strutting about 200 down the hill from us. He broke strut and started running up the hill to us! I told dad, " when he goes behind the next terrace, hit the ground and get in the weeds on the edge of the powerline." Now keep in mind, dad is in his work clothes, and I'm in a short sleeved camo shirt and camo pants, but my gun is in the truck that's 200 yards from us.. Well, when he disappeared behind the terrace we hit the ground. Dad crawled and laid prone in the tall grass and briars on the edge of the powerline, and I bellycrawled a few yards, then got up and hauled arse to the truck! I get my gun out, throw a shell in it, and take of back to dad. When I get about 20 or so from dad, he's doing a hand motion telling me to get down. As soon as I do, I hear him drumming, so I lay prone right off the edge of the road, and no sooner than I get settled, that ol white head pops up over the edge of the hill. Considering, we weren't hidden very well at all, I didn't watch him long, so I laid it to him. When I shot him, he was probably less than 25 feet in front of dad! That was an awesome experience, and one of the many great hunts he and I have been lucky enough to share!

Originally Posted by BPS
This is Aldeer! The place people come to vent their frustrations and completely change their stance a few minutes later... grin
Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278187
02/05/12 12:38 PM
02/05/12 12:38 PM
Hartselle Al.
n2deer Offline
Old Mossy Horns
n2deer  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Hartselle Al.
That's a good one.love it

Do you want to hear him gobble, or do you want to kill him.
Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278197
02/05/12 12:59 PM
02/05/12 12:59 PM
Morgan Co.
Dixiepatriot Offline
Freak of Nature
Dixiepatriot  Offline
Freak of Nature
Morgan Co.
A guy I used to work with had given up for the morning and was sleeping in his truck waiting on his buddy to come out when one woke him up gobbling outside the truck. It was the first turkey he ever killed.

http://familyfoundationfund.org
Proud descendant of confederate soldiers.
Auburn elitist
Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278218
02/05/12 01:29 PM
02/05/12 01:29 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
alabama
I carried two friends hunting one fine morning. One of them hadn't killed a bird ever. I got him one pretty quick and we moved locations.

We got to a steep downhill part of the road and I yelped real loud. A bird answered below and to the right. We hurried to the bottom and set up where we could shoot to the cross road(woods road). I told the other hunter to stay back about thirty yards and be still.

Ya'll already know where the dang bird went.....straight to the other hunter hunkered down in the ditch below a four foot bank. We got turned around and watched as the bird stopped maybe six feet from the other hunter, gobbling and strutting. The bird finally moved off to the side for a safe shot and my hunter killed him.

The first hunter was scared silly that we were going to shoot the bird as it stood above him. I told him we had discussed that..... laugh

troy

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278220
02/05/12 01:30 PM
02/05/12 01:30 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
alabama
where's yekrut, I KNOW he's done some silly arse stunts.......

proud Cracker-Americaan

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278248
02/05/12 02:03 PM
02/05/12 02:03 PM
Monroe Co.,Al
G
gobblebox Offline
10 point
gobblebox  Offline
10 point
G
Monroe Co.,Al
A few years ago on opening day my dad and I went hunting,it was windy and had been raining so the birds weren't gobbling and if they did youd have to be right on top of them to hear them,we were in my japanese mini truck that morning and we pulled into the back of a food plot that joins a 40 acre block that had been thinned,there was a windrow on the edge of the plot where we parked and a logging road that went off behind it,well we walk down the logging road out to a hill about 100 yards from the truck and was looking off the backside of the 40 to see if we could spot one out there,after a few minutes my dad says "I'm going to the truck,aint nothing gonna gobble with the way this weather is",I said ok i'll be on in a minute,about 5 minutes later I hear a hen yelp down the hill so I stand on a stump and start looking across the bottom for her with my binoculars,as soon as I get them to my eyes I hear a turkey drum right on top of me,I looked out of the corner of my eye and this gobbler is in full strut with 4 hens about 30 yards from me,I'm in the wide open so I dont know how they didnt see me,well they walk behind a windrow so i get down on my belly behind the stump,they are walking right toward the foodplot where my dad and my truck are,I start texting dad trying to tell him that the turkey is about 50 yards from him but my phone cant get a signal,well these turkeys get to a little depression in the logging road and the ol boy starts struuting for the ladies,I'm looking at the turkey strutting and can see my dad in the truck at the same time,well i figure its now or never so I catch the other side of the hill and crawl about 40 yards up to some big stumps pushed up,when I ease my head up he is stiil strutting around,I can still see my dad in the truck too,after a minute I finally get my gun up without the hens seeing me and gave him a load of #5's to the face,my dad comes flying out of the truck and says what are you doing,I get out to the turkey and pick him up and told him I had tried to text him to get out of the truck and kill that turkey that was strutting 40 yards from it,we laughed for several minutes after I told him what was going on while he was sitting in the truck,it's a hunt I'll never forget,the bird had a thick 10.5" beard and 1 1/4" spurs.

Last edited by gobblebox; 02/05/12 02:04 PM.
Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278598
02/05/12 10:04 PM
02/05/12 10:04 PM
AL
T
trkymn6f0 Offline
8 point
trkymn6f0  Offline
8 point
T
AL
professionals

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278614
02/05/12 10:16 PM
02/05/12 10:16 PM
North Alabama
YEKRUT Offline
Turkey Nut
YEKRUT  Offline
Turkey Nut
North Alabama
Originally Posted By: BhamFred
where's yekrut, I KNOW he's done some silly arse stunts.......

Not me. smile

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters. —Archibald Rutledge—
Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278618
02/05/12 10:26 PM
02/05/12 10:26 PM
North Alabama
YEKRUT Offline
Turkey Nut
YEKRUT  Offline
Turkey Nut
North Alabama
I posted this one in another thread recently and it has to be one of the funniest.

I might have shot one last year at a pretty good pace and through a little brush in a food plot and about the time I got to him he stood up but both his eyes were shot out so he couldn't see me coming. I hit him as hard as I could with an open hand and took him to the ground in mid stride. I had the death grip on his neck for a good 5 minutes before I turned him loose. The guy that was with me come walking up hollering about how awesome that was while I was getting the hell beat out of me and blood all everything.

Another one was around 2000 or so. It as spring break so I had the whole week to do nothing but kill turkeys. Well I jacked with this one stupid bird every single day that week but he was on a hill that i could not get to. It was pretty much bluff rock on my side and he would work off the roost away everyday onto the adjoining property. Well about day 4 or 5 I decided I was going to climb up there before daylight and sit on the line and kill him when he does his usual thing. I spent no telling how long that morning in the dark climbing this dang bluff wall just to.get up there and the bird went onto my land back down the hill at flydown time. I did not really realize I guess in the dark just how steep the hill was but it was Dang near impossible to get back down it. I end up sliding about halfway down the bluff and off into a very cold spring fed creek that is about armpit deep. I submerged everything in my vest and gun to of course. The bird had done moved on off and to make a long story short I circled him and for between him and his hens and killed him. The bird had a good thick beard and not even a bump for spurs. I was ticked. I took the bird back to show it to my uncle at work and when I got there the guys he worked with just died laughing at me. I had water running everywhere out of my vest in the back of the truck and my boots were still squirting water too.

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278642
02/05/12 10:44 PM
02/05/12 10:44 PM
If you only knew.....
Tru-Talker Offline
Booner
Tru-Talker  Offline
Booner
If you only knew.....
This is not a funny but it was a memorable one for me. I was only 24 at the time and hunting with a friend of mine who was close to 40. He was a veteran and I was inexperienced. I had killed a couple of birds before but never with him when hunting together. We set out one morning as a team and hit a couple of birds right off the bat. It did not take long for him to get the bird to me. After only 30 minutes, the hunt the hunt was over and I had shot. For a guy who had been hunting turkeys for 20 years I did not expect his reaction. He seemed to be more excited than me. I asked him why he was so jittery and his response was this "If you don't get this feeling when a bird is shot you don't need to be hunting". I was excited too but he seemed a little over the top. Anyway, while the bird was flopping he made a mistake that I could not believe. He told me later he knew better but the excitement had overcome his judgement. As we are going to get the bird, he reaches down to pick it up while it is still flopping rather than stepping on its head. Mistake...... when he reached down, the bird slung one of his legs back and absolutely buried a 1 1/4 inch spur in the soft spot between your pointer finger and thumb. To this day I have never seen a 40 year old man go to the ground in as much pain as he was in. I will never forget that and will NEVER make that mistake.

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius
Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278656
02/05/12 10:51 PM
02/05/12 10:51 PM
North Alabama
YEKRUT Offline
Turkey Nut
YEKRUT  Offline
Turkey Nut
North Alabama
Another that is just plane stupid to me now was back in 1993. We didn't have any birds where we hunted in tn but we knew a guy that had told us he had some places in Lincoln county tn that were loaded. He told me that he would take me and my dad hunting and get me my first bird. Well the morning comes that we are supposed to meet this guy and he has us meet him in the parking lot of a well known tity bar and leave our nice 4x4 there to ride with him in some kind of old blue 2 door beater car. We drive forever it seemed and finally pulled up to a gate. He told my dad that he could not carry a gun and he wasn't carrying one either. We left the car and probably walked across 10 different properties that day chasing birds. I was scared to death because I suspected he didnt even have permission to hunt where we parked the car at, but to this day still don't know the truth or the whole story. All I do know is that I never went hunting with that guy again.

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: Tru-Talker] #278664
02/05/12 10:55 PM
02/05/12 10:55 PM
North Alabama
YEKRUT Offline
Turkey Nut
YEKRUT  Offline
Turkey Nut
North Alabama
Originally Posted By: Tru-Talker
This is not a funny but it was a memorable one for me. I was only 24 at the time and hunting with a friend of mine who was close to 40. He was a veteran and I was inexperienced. I had killed a couple of birds before but never with him when hunting together. We set out one morning as a team and hit a couple of birds right off the bat. It did not take long for him to get the bird to me. After only 30 minutes, the hunt the hunt was over and I had shot. For a guy who had been hunting turkeys for 20 years I did not expect his reaction. He seemed to be more excited than me. I asked him why he was so jittery and his response was this "If you don't get this feeling when a bird is shot you don't need to be hunting". I was excited too but he seemed a little over the top. Anyway, while the bird was flopping he made a mistake that I could not believe. He told me later he knew better but the excitement had overcome his judgement. As we are going to get the bird, he reaches down to pick it up while it is still flopping rather than stepping on its head. Mistake...... when he reached down, the bird slung one of his legs back and absolutely buried a 1 1/4 inch spur in the soft spot between your pointer finger and thumb. To this day I have never seen a 40 year old man go to the ground in as much pain as he was in. I will never forget that and will NEVER make that mistake.

I had one wrap up a dagger in my glove one time and stuck in my palm pretty good. That sucker was all sore and infected for days and days. I try not to get in a hurry now days to pick them up to quick.

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278686
02/05/12 11:09 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County
I had one stab through a cotton glove once and somehow spin when he flopped so that the spur was kinda wedged into my hand and I couldn't get it out without cutting the glove. Kinda the same feeling you have when you get a fishook embedded in your hand and the fish starts flopping.

Yekrut I think there are alot of those guys in Lincoln county. Had more than one tell me "that over there belongs to so and so. He don't care for you hunting but be sure and park over in the woods so he can't see your truck"

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278687
north alabama
NickA Offline
4 point
NickA  Offline
4 point
north alabama
Ya'll got some great stories! I got a story about the one that got away . . . . One afternoon a few years back I got on a hot gobbler that was struting in one of my food plots. I snuck to a road bed that led to the opposite end of the plot, set a decoy in the road, juumped over in the brush and gave a soft yelp. The bird cut me off with a gobble and 5 minutes later was standing 20 yards in front of me in full strut. I took aim, he came out of strut and I shot, missing him completely! The gobbler took flight as I loaded another shell in the Mossberg 500. The second shot knocked him down only for him to jump up and take off. I jumped up running as well and was gaining on him just about to pull the trigger when suddenly the foam pad (for sitting on) that was attached to my turkey vest hung the top of my boot while I was in mid-stride. This through me forward just enough for the barrel of my shotgun to burry up in the dirt and shove the butt of the gun into my ribs, thus pole-vaulting me like an olympic reject in the middle of the food plot. I rolled over just in time to see the gobbler again take flight and sail off down the mountain. Pride hurt, ribs hurt and favorite slate call smashed I went to the house. Memory still haunts me. cry

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BhamFred] #278697
02/05/12 11:30 PM
02/05/12 11:30 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County
I was slipping around a pasture once on a rainy day and saw three gobblers strutting up in a little neck. It was a perfect setup for a crawl up and ambush (I still like doing that kind of thing) so I went over a gameplan in my head. I figured it would take a good 30 or 40 minutes to crawl up into shotgun range and I had been kinda putting off taking a crap all morning so I figured I had better take care of that before I started my stalk so I wouldn't have to deal with a code red while trying to crawl up on the turkeys. I found an old cedar fencerow running up the side of the hill and picked out a good post to hold onto while I leaned back and did my business.
I wore overalls back then and I was always real careful not to get anything in the gallouses, so I held the gallouses up in one hand, held on to the post with the other and leaned back and fired away. Sometime during all this the ancient cedar post broke and you can guess where all my momentum was already headed............I literally shat and fell back in it. I had heard people say it before but I never realized the term could have so much meaning until I experienced it firsthand. Breakfast burritos from Mcdonald's shot out in a violent fashion and then rolled in would ruin a hunt for most folks, but I didn't let it deter me. I wiped off best as I could and then proceeded my stalk. Crawling through that pasture I felt like the guy from Shawshank Redemption who crawled through the sewer to get out of the penetentiary. Good news for me was turkeys can't smell because the way that little hill ran up that neck I couldn't see the turkeys until I got to about twenty yards. I made the shot and carried the turkey out in one hand and most of my clothes out in the other. I was glad I was hunting by myself one day. I have the fan and beard from that bird hanging in my garage as a reminder of what the human body is capable of enduring if it has a goal. I don't seek the aid of old fenceposts when I need to do my business in the woods anymore either.

Re: crazy turkey kills... [Re: BrentM] #278724
02/06/12 12:22 AM
02/06/12 12:22 AM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Originally Posted By: BrentM
I was slipping around a pasture once on a rainy day and saw three gobblers strutting up in a little neck. It was a perfect setup for a crawl up and ambush (I still like doing that kind of thing) so I went over a gameplan in my head. I figured it would take a good 30 or 40 minutes to crawl up into shotgun range and I had been kinda putting off taking a crap all morning so I figured I had better take care of that before I started my stalk so I wouldn't have to deal with a code red while trying to crawl up on the turkeys. I found an old cedar fencerow running up the side of the hill and picked out a good post to hold onto while I leaned back and did my business.
I wore overalls back then and I was always real careful not to get anything in the gallouses, so I held the gallouses up in one hand, held on to the post with the other and leaned back and fired away. Sometime during all this the ancient cedar post broke and you can guess where all my momentum was already headed............I literally shat and fell back in it. I had heard people say it before but I never realized the term could have so much meaning until I experienced it firsthand. Breakfast burritos from Mcdonald's shot out in a violent fashion and then rolled in would ruin a hunt for most folks, but I didn't let it deter me. I wiped off best as I could and then proceeded my stalk. Crawling through that pasture I felt like the guy from Shawshank Redemption who crawled through the sewer to get out of the penetentiary. Good news for me was turkeys can't smell because the way that little hill ran up that neck I couldn't see the turkeys until I got to about twenty yards. I made the shot and carried the turkey out in one hand and most of my clothes out in the other. I was glad I was hunting by myself one day. I have the fan and beard from that bird hanging in my garage as a reminder of what the human body is capable of enduring if it has a goal. I don't seek the aid of old fenceposts when I need to do my business in the woods anymore either.

Now that is dedication. lol!

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.