</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Lowrance Ghost or 24v Ultrex
by bradbathome. 03/28/24 08:17 PM
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Mbrock. 03/28/24 08:56 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
55 registered members (wareagle22, AU7MM08, Teacher One, imadeerhntr, jprice, Bustinbeards, Kang, Gunner211, Skullworks, Flyliner, BamaBoHunter, headshot1, GoldenEagle, turfarmer, bward85, Jweeks, Narrow Gap, .308, kpswihart, Bushmaster, JAT, Sandmtnslayer, jlbuc10, MC21, centralala, jdfarm23, 7PTSPREAD, Bows4evr, Tailwalk7, lpman, Dubie, ridgestalker, Bcbama260, Gobble4me757, Sixpointholler, Ben2, DoeMaster, weatherby, jake5050, Tree Dweller, !shiloh!, BradB, Chiller, WINMAG300, Crawfish, mossyback, PikeRoadHunter, JSOG47, EricS, 6 invisible), 484 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 75 of 76 1 2 73 74 75 76
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2694047
01/03/19 10:11 PM
01/03/19 10:11 PM
Lauderdale County
Cousneddy Offline
8 point
Cousneddy  Offline
8 point
Lauderdale County
thumbup

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2696314
01/06/19 11:58 AM
01/06/19 11:58 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Had a call come in yesterday morning from a guy I’ve tracked for a couple times in the past. He told me upfront that he was pretty sure we wouldn’t find a dead deer on this one but it was a big 10 point he had been hunting and he wanted to do everything he could to make sure it wasn’t fatally hit. He had shot at the buck just at dark the evening before in a creek bottom. He found some hair and a few drops of blood but that was it. Also, there was a big chunk blown out of a log just below where the buck was standing that pointed toward him shooting under the deer and just grazing it. We got on the track and followed it pretty well for it to just be a grazing hit. I think the fact that it had been grazed on the underneath side of the deer was allowing scent to be wiped off on all the sage brush and gave the dogs something to follow. After about 800 yards we decided to call it off as it crossed over onto some other property. I feel pretty confident that this buck will be ok and will likely show back up where the hunter had been getting pics of him all season.

Last edited by CNC; 01/06/19 12:00 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2696762
01/06/19 07:51 PM
01/06/19 07:51 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Call just came in for tomorrow morning......Hunter said that he shot a good buck this evening while it was running and is pretty confident he hit it in the rear end. He said that it went down in the back end and looked crippled up and it ran off. He has tracked it for a couple hundred yards with decent blood but lost it and backed out.

This should be a pretty fun track. I figure the buck will bed up within a couple hundred yards of where he stopped tracking it. I'm hoping that he gets weak overnight so maybe it'll be an easy job of finishing the deer off in the morning. If we're lucky maybe he hit that major artery running through the hind quarter and the deer will be dead. We'll see....You can't ever tell how these situations will unfold for sure.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2697680
01/07/19 02:26 PM
01/07/19 02:26 PM
Wetumpka, Al
B
bdw32 Offline
6 point
bdw32  Offline
6 point
B
Wetumpka, Al
Patiently waiting on updates lol

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: bdw32] #2697746
01/07/19 03:45 PM
01/07/19 03:45 PM
Huntsville, AL
Claims Rep. Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Claims Rep.  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted by bdw32

x2!

Jesus... I hope you know Him personally like I do.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Proud crossbow hunter!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: bdw32] #2697749
01/07/19 03:47 PM
01/07/19 03:47 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by bdw32

It ended up being a classic back slap. I could have swore that the hunter told me he shot the deer while it was running but I guess I misunderstood him. It turned out though that he shot it as it walked out into a food plot. The buck hit the ground and then drug itself off into the woods on its front legs. The ground was tore up where it had thrashed around there for a minute or two and there was actually a fair amount of blood on this one compared to most back slaps.... as well as finding meat at the hit site....but in the end we tracked it for about 600 yards before getting the deer up still alive. We gave chase for a few hundred yards and called it off. I figure he took a big chunk of meat out of the deer's tenderloin right above the shoulders where the spine dips down. I'm pretty sure this one will be ok and show right back up on camera.

Last edited by CNC; 01/07/19 03:52 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2704097
01/12/19 09:21 PM
01/12/19 09:21 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
I’m behind on stories fellas…..I’ve either been tracking or hunting this last week and there just wasn’t a whole lot of a story to tell on most of the tracks. Most of them have been clean misses. One guy took his girlfriend hunting for the first time with plans on her shooting a doe. First deer they see was a giant at probably 100-125 yards. Deer just jumped back in the woods after the shot and they weren't sure if it was a hit or not. No blood, no hair, no indication of anything from the dogs after gridding out the area.

Went on another track that was very similar. Buck turned and walked off the field after the shot but the hunter felt like he was hunched up…..no blood, no hair, no indication from the dogs of a hit after a couple hours of searching. The area was really open too so it made it pretty simple to search and we looked it over really well.

Went on one more where the hunter shot at a good buck from about 275 yards in a powerline and only found a few small spots of blood for 50 yards or so. This one was about 30 hours after the shot which is getting to be a pretty old scent line and was really tough for the dogs to progress….Again though, the area was extremely open on this one too. Just a bunch of open hardwood ridges where you could see probably 200 yards in every direction. We walked our tails off on that one up and down every possible hill and holler but no deer. It was likely just grazed.

Another call was on a giant that the hunter shot from a ground blind in a long lane. He said he didn’t see how the deer reacted after the shot because it got gone out of the lane so quick. He felt like it was a gut shot though and reported finding a little green gut juice near the hit site but no blood or hair. I looked at it when we first started the track but didn’t really get down and inspect it with my nose or anything. After spending over two hours dang near searching out the guys entire property with no indication from the dogs of a scent line…..we went back to hit site and determined that the gut matter was actually diarrhea deer chit and it was very likely a clean miss.

Got another call for tomorrow morning that sounds really similar. A kid shot a good buck this evening. They can’t find any blood or hair but felt like the deer “hunched up” when he shot before exiting the field. I’m really hoping for the best on this one but I just don’t feel too optimistic right now. You never know though…..that’s why we go and track them when folks call on us. I can definitely understand why some trackers choose to screen their calls and only take the ones with a high likelihood of recovery. Searching for these misses is 10 times the work and walking as the ones where we recover a hit deer. I just see it as part of what a tracker does though. Many of these tracks are for the same clubs and landowners that I’ve tracked for in the past and I feel like I’m there to help them no matter what they have or haven’t found when they call. You just take the good with the bad and enjoy the time spent in the woods with the dogs on a lot of really great hunting land.

To be continued......

Last edited by CNC; 01/12/19 09:26 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2707450
01/16/19 08:31 AM
01/16/19 08:31 AM
Opelika
olemossy Offline
8 point
olemossy  Offline
8 point
Opelika
Going through withdrawls CNC. Lets get Otis well in a hurry.

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2707540
01/16/19 09:28 AM
01/16/19 09:28 AM
PDL, Fl
T
timbercruiser Offline
Freak of Nature
timbercruiser  Offline
Freak of Nature
T
PDL, Fl
I think you need to set up a shooting range for the off season. Way too many bad shots out there.

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: timbercruiser] #2707730
01/16/19 11:51 AM
01/16/19 11:51 AM
Hampton Cove
foldemup Offline
14 point
foldemup  Offline
14 point
Hampton Cove
Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I think you need to set up a shooting range for the off season. Way too many bad shots out there.

Well, they can hit a pie plate OR well, the guy at the store bore sighted it.

If you want to always win, never play anyone better than you!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2708065
01/16/19 05:11 PM
01/16/19 05:11 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
I’ve never really judged the hunters much that I go track for no matter what the situation might be. We get calls about so much of the worst of the worst shots that I typically just don’t even think twice anymore about the shot they chose take or how bad they shanked a chip shot, etc….I just go right to assessing what they tell me and try to track it. I’m at the point right now though where I’m really getting bummed out here lately because of the streak of calls that are coming in. It's crazy how many we've had in a row like this. The last one I guess I never said anything but it was a miss too. A young boy was hunting by himself and I think he probably just assumed he hit it. The deer jumped in reaction to the shot and he saw that and described to his dad as the deer hunched or bowed up a little. I even went to help out a buddy this morning on one that I thought for sure we’d find a dead deer on. It was quartering to him in a food plot at 60 yards or so when he shot. He couldn’t find any sign of hitting it but felt like he should have hit it and I agreed with him.. He’s an experienced hunter and kills the chit out of good deer so I was thinking that he’d probably hit him about right but it angled back toward the guts and didn’t get an exit. Those are calls we get from time to time that most often result in an short easy run to a deer that’s just not putting out any sign to follow . Nope, not his time…..my sure thing was another miss. It happens to even the best of them from time to time and that's what is so crazy about this one. He never misses but did on this one and the streak continues.

I’m not hating on the hunters by saying all of that…Bad shots and misses are just the normal calls for trackers to get…..but damn it just seems like I’m stuck in some kind of rut and can’t catch a break with an easy find or at least something that might actually be dead somewhere. It’s usually a random mixed bag of calls flowing in with different types of hits from one to next…… but I’ve went on so many misses in a row now that it’s actually taken some of the fun away and making me feel pessimistic. It’s never bothered me before because we usually follow up the bad calls with the good one and the periodic finds balance things out. There’s always the silver lining of still getting paid on the bad calls but even that’s not feeling like the same consolation prize right now. I need the bad ju-ju to get off me and somebody call that’s blown the guts smooth out of one. I'm ready to see Shelby get on a promising track and see how she handles it alone.

Last edited by CNC; 01/16/19 05:15 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2708237
01/16/19 07:51 PM
01/16/19 07:51 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Alright!.......Had a call come in that sounds like we may have something just right for Shelby Lou to run. Hunter said that he shot one around 3:45 this evening from 360 yards away. He feels like he definitely hit the deer and saw some blood coming out of the deer but it looked like the hit was a little high. Went in to try and find it and is pretty sure he jumped him as he was approaching the area. He went ahead and just backed out and then got called into work. The hunter then said that we would plan to meet at 8:00….he was gonna go look first at daylight and If he found it he would just call me and let me know. I explained that I couldn’t do that because I may get more calls tonight that I don’t want to turn down if he’s gonna end up calling it off. We've either got to for sure book it or not…..He said “Book it!” grin

You can’t ever say for sure how these situations are gonna play out but if the hunter is correct about what he saw and heard then I think this is gonna hopefully be a good one for us to get on. We’ll see how it plays out.

To be continued………

Last edited by CNC; 01/16/19 07:53 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2708245
01/16/19 07:55 PM
01/16/19 07:55 PM
UR 6
top cat Offline
Freak of Nature
top cat  Offline
Freak of Nature
UR 6

👁👃👁

LUCK:::; When presistence, dedication, perspiration and preparation meet up with opportunity!!!
- - - - - - - -A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have. Thomas Jeferson - - - - - - - -
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2708444
01/16/19 09:59 PM
01/16/19 09:59 PM
Opelika
olemossy Offline
8 point
olemossy  Offline
8 point
Opelika
Originally Posted by CNC
Alright!.......Had a call come in that sounds like we may have something just right for Shelby Lou to run. Hunter said that he shot one around 3:45 this evening from 360 yards away. He feels like he definitely hit the deer and saw some blood coming out of the deer but it looked like the hit was a little high. Went in to try and find it and is pretty sure he jumped him as he was approaching the area. He went ahead and just backed out and then got called into work. The hunter then said that we would plan to meet at 8:00….he was gonna go look first at daylight and If he found it he would just call me and let me know. I explained that I couldn’t do that because I may get more calls tonight that I don’t want to turn down if he’s gonna end up calling it off. We've either got to for sure book it or not…..He said “Book it!” grin

You can’t ever say for sure how these situations are gonna play out but if the hunter is correct about what he saw and heard then I think this is gonna hopefully be a good one for us to get on. We’ll see how it plays out.

To be continued………

Good luck and hope she does well on her first one by herself!

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2708993
01/17/19 12:49 PM
01/17/19 12:49 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Well this track did not turn out to be anywhere near as promising as I was hoping for. The hunter said that he saw where he hit and it was high on the shoulder about 2-3 inches down from the top….When he said that he could see blood…..I figured if he could see it from 360 yards away then we would at least have a minimal blood trail to follow. I’m not sure if he was just looking at the wound or what but there wasn’t a single drop of blood on the ground anywhere. The part about jumping the deer was also incorrect. The deer was most likely just standing about 20 yards inside of the thicket he ran into and when the hunter approached after the shot he ran on off.

The good part of this track was that Shelby did outstanding on it…..especially for what we were trying to track. I couldn’t have been more pleased with how eager she was to find the deer and how well she was able to work such a minimal scent line as one like this. She picked it up just past the hit site and took it exactly where the hunter had watched the deer run down the edge of the field and into the thicket. You could tell when she got to where the buck had stopped and stood because she paused for several moments working that spot over with her nose really well. Even where the buck had stopped though, there still wasn’t any blood that we could see. She progressed the track on and took it close to 200 yards from the hit site before it completely petered out on her. What I was really happy with is the way she kept actively working the surrounding area over to try and pick back up on the line without any help or encouragement from me. She didn’t just lose it and give up or anything. After seeing what she did today I wouldn’t be afraid to put her on any track we get called on.

The great thing about this track is that it was down in the Mathews/Fitzpatrick area on some land that was just fields and woodlots. The way the land was laid out really narrowed down the options of where this deer could go. It was one of those situations where he pretty much had to be in one of the woodlots or hedgerows if we were gonna find him…..So after the scent line petered out on Shelby, we spent the next 2 hrs searching out every wood lot on the place with no luck. I really don’t think this deer was fatally wounded. It’s very frustrating because I really wanted Shelby to get a reward at the end of this one as good as she worked. I’m really excited though at the potential she showed and looking forward to getting her on another one by herself.

Last edited by CNC; 01/17/19 12:53 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2709098
01/17/19 02:19 PM
01/17/19 02:19 PM
Oak Grove, AL
3Gs Offline
4 point
3Gs  Offline
4 point
Oak Grove, AL
Glad to hear that Shelby worked the trail as well as she did. I have a feeling yall will be finding one real soon. Keep your head up, bro!!

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: 3Gs] #2709441
01/17/19 07:09 PM
01/17/19 07:09 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by 3Gs
Glad to hear that Shelby worked the trail as well as she did. I have a feeling yall will be finding one real soon. Keep your head up, bro!!

Thanks man……It’s all good. Someone will eventually have to call with something good. We’ll just keep on getting after ‘em and telling the stories through the good times and the bad. If you take any and all calls that come in then this is just going to be part of what you deal with sometimes I guess. Screening the calls more than I do would help avoid a lot of these non-recoverable tracts but it just doesn’t seem right to turn someone away that wants my help because their story doesn’t sound promising enough or because they haven’t found any blood, etc…It's kinda like your only being there for them when it's good for you instead of just going when they need you. I don’t know…A couple more years of walking my ass off on wild goose chases and I may change my mind. grin

Last edited by CNC; 01/17/19 07:22 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2710973
01/19/19 09:18 AM
01/19/19 09:18 AM
Lauderdale County
Cousneddy Offline
8 point
Cousneddy  Offline
8 point
Lauderdale County
I am hoping to hear a report of Shelby on a good track. How's the cut pad on Otis?

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: Cousneddy] #2711249
01/19/19 02:20 PM
01/19/19 02:20 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by Cousneddy
I am hoping to hear a report of Shelby on a good track. How's the cut pad on Otis?

His pad is actually healing up a lot quicker than I would have expected. He’s not limping on it at all now and I actually had to make him and Shelby stop horse playing with one another yesterday so that he didn’t mess up and reinjure it or something. I’m gonna give it several more days though before I attempt to run any track with him again just to let it get healed up before we jump off into the briar patches and thickets. I’m afraid if I don’t then we’ll get out there and he’ll stick something in it and be shut down in the middle of a track limping again.

We’ll get Shelby on some good ones before the season is over. We should be flooded with calls over the next few weeks. I think the next time someone calls with a low belly shot I’m gonna let Shelby run it. Those usually put out a lot of scent on the ground. We haven’t had many of those so far this year that I recall though….It’s been a very odd gun season compared to years past. I don’t think we’ve had any calls for a leg hit yet and that tends to be a fairly common one. There’s always a fair amount “bad” calls but not like we’ve seen recently. More and more folks are calling for a dog now though every time they cut a hair, draw a drop of blood, see the deer jump funny, or "when they just don't see how they could've missed that shot" and that’ll inevitably result in more and more unrecoverable calls coming in.

Last edited by CNC; 01/19/19 02:21 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2715577
01/23/19 03:11 PM
01/23/19 03:11 PM
Pike Road, Al
M
Mully Offline
10 point
Mully  Offline
10 point
M
Pike Road, Al
Are you back tracking? I can only imagine that your phone is blowing up with calls right now.

Page 75 of 76 1 2 73 74 75 76

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.