</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Frankie. 03/28/24 04:46 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
169 registered members (ronfromramer, cdaddy14, Woodsy, MarksOutdoors, Stickers, JLMiller, Swamp Monkey, biglmbass, Gut Pile 32, Scdoghunter667, StateLine, !shiloh!, Paint Rock 00, turfarmer, ridgestalker, PapaD, CCC, quailman, m97, BC_Reb, donia, blade, MCW, wareagle22, jprice, Gulfcoast, Gunpowder, Jmfire722, jwalker77, Cactus_buck, BRP549, Brian_C, Safetyman, furnfeather, AustinC, hunterturf, crenshawco, Paxamus, timberman56, Showout, brushwhacker, BAR II .270, bward85, Bandit635, BCLC, Longtine, farmerjay, Holcomb, Droptine-13, Woody1, G/H, CrappieMan, Chaser357, Gobble4me757, Exhoosier, capehorn24, Goose, Joe4majors, sbo1971, robinhedd, deadeye48, Claims Rep., AU7MM08, jaredhunts, Ridge Life, HURRICANE, Phelps, Squeaky, CeeHawk37, jeffhhub, Gary Harris, mzzy, BobK, 000buck, Omega One, scrape, trlrdrdave, Turkeyneck78, Tailwalk7, TGreen, BrandonClark, bamabug, KnightRyder, TDog93, 7PTSPREAD, Zbrann, Pharmer, Fedex 1, Koba, joe sixpack, Young20, hoggin, Andalusia, rockhunter, Rolloverdave, AU338MAG, Chiller, mossyback, outdoorguy88, stuball, OutdoorsAL, fur_n_feathers, crocker, Rainbowstew, canvasback, DPD, reeve025, beeline08, catdoctor, globe, cgardner, 202P&Y, Fullthrottle, BamaFan64, HHSyelper, Bruno, Ray_Coon, BentBarrel, Standbanger, Big Buck Video, jhardy, Remington270, handihunter, rkt, Mbrock, BamaGuitarDude, hawndog, CouchNapper, T Bone, SuperSpike, Doeslayer44, booner, Whild_Bill, 3006bullet, Teacher One, gene60, Justice, CarbonClimber1, Red Fox, bambam32, gman, sawdust, dirtwrk, sanderson, JD_Bowhunter1976, desertdog, BCD, Rebelhunter_21, AUjerbear, Mulcher, Mansfield, brett.smith, cullbuck, 16 invisible), 519 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: Chad T] #2709697
01/17/19 09:39 PM
01/17/19 09:39 PM
Missouri
swamp_fever2002 Offline
Administrator
swamp_fever2002  Offline
Administrator
Missouri
Chronic Wasting Disease research out of Midwestern University has shed new light on how farmed deer could be bred to be more resistant to the disease.

The research, performed by Dr. Nicholas J. Haley, an assistant professor at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Midwestern University, found genetic traits in a small minority of deer that impart higher levels of resistance to CWD.

By expanding the prevalence of these traits through selective breeding, CWD resistance could grow among farmed deer, in the same way the sheep industry has successfully bred for scrapie resistant animals and has all but eliminated the disease in domestic sheep in North America over the last decade.

About 70 percent of deer have one or two copies of the 96G allele, which is considered the most susceptible to CWD. The 96S allele is less common (and more resistant to CWD than the 96G), with 20 percent of deer having one or two copies. The 116G, 95H, and 226K alleles are relatively rare and the most resistant to CWD-but less than 5-10 percent of deer have a single copy of any of these alleles.

It is very difficult to find deer with two copies of any of these three CWD-resistant alleles — but that would be the goal in order to breed for the most CWD-resistant herd.

A number of deer farmers within the industry are now trying to flip these ratios by breeding towards 96S, 95H, and 226K animals and breeding away from the more susceptible 96G animals, in the hope that their herds will face a lower risk of infection.

It takes a long time to grow an old friend.
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: Chad T] #2709712
01/17/19 09:47 PM
01/17/19 09:47 PM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
But we've all been told farmed fence deer are horrible

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: swamp_fever2002] #2709777
01/17/19 10:25 PM
01/17/19 10:25 PM
Buc-ee’s Beach Express
leroycnbucks Offline
Freak of Nature
leroycnbucks  Offline
Freak of Nature
Buc-ee’s Beach Express
I saw that on Keith Warrens show last night Donald. Pretty interesting and very well may be the answer one day.

Proud Army and ALNG veteran
God Bless America!
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: Chad T] #2709806
01/17/19 10:46 PM
01/17/19 10:46 PM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover
Is this the hunting version of global warming?

I mean, what is the worst case scenario? For some reason it feels vastly overblown.

The Midwest has recovered nicely from what I could see in IL.

Last edited by burbank; 01/17/19 10:47 PM.
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: Chad T] #2709808
01/17/19 10:50 PM
01/17/19 10:50 PM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
Acid rain

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: Clem] #2709873
01/18/19 01:38 AM
01/18/19 01:38 AM
God's Country
S
Swampdrummin Offline
4 point
Swampdrummin  Offline
4 point
S
God's Country
Originally Posted by Clem

Why are they throwing it out? Not one shred of evidence has been presented that shows CWD can be transmitted to humans by eating meat.

Probably just common sense since it has been proven to kill deer, elk, moose, ferrets, pigs, spider monkeys, maque monkeys and humanized mice.

Quack quack.
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: Clem] #2710008
01/18/19 08:42 AM
01/18/19 08:42 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama

Why are they throwing it out? Not one shred of evidence has been presented that shows CWD can be transmitted to humans by eating meat.

you do realize that one of the traits of the TSE group is that they are supposed to be species specific, that is they won't jump the species barrier to another species. Scrappie jumped to mule deer under very heavily contaminated conditions at Ft Collins. CWD is born and has proven to be the least species specific of the TSE group. It has jumped to Elk, Whitetails, Moose, Reindeer, and a host of others, including monkeys, in a lab setting. Keep in mind the incubation period of other human TSEs is very long, like 30-40 YEARS. Also there have been NO STUDIES to prove or disprove the ability of CWD to jump to humans by eating contaminated meat. Some of the monkeys in the lab did contract CWD by eating contaminated meat.

Damnifin I'd eat any suspect meat from a CWD zone.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: swamp_fever2002] #2710018
01/18/19 08:52 AM
01/18/19 08:52 AM
Hamilton/Auburn
Shotts Offline
8 point
Shotts  Offline
8 point
Hamilton/Auburn
Originally Posted by swamp_fever2002
Chronic Wasting Disease research out of Midwestern University has shed new light on how farmed deer could be bred to be more resistant to the disease.

The research, performed by Dr. Nicholas J. Haley, an assistant professor at the College of Veterinary Medicine at Midwestern University, found genetic traits in a small minority of deer that impart higher levels of resistance to CWD.

By expanding the prevalence of these traits through selective breeding, CWD resistance could grow among farmed deer, in the same way the sheep industry has successfully bred for scrapie resistant animals and has all but eliminated the disease in domestic sheep in North America over the last decade.

About 70 percent of deer have one or two copies of the 96G allele, which is considered the most susceptible to CWD. The 96S allele is less common (and more resistant to CWD than the 96G), with 20 percent of deer having one or two copies. The 116G, 95H, and 226K alleles are relatively rare and the most resistant to CWD-but less than 5-10 percent of deer have a single copy of any of these alleles.

It is very difficult to find deer with two copies of any of these three CWD-resistant alleles — but that would be the goal in order to breed for the most CWD-resistant herd.

A number of deer farmers within the industry are now trying to flip these ratios by breeding towards 96S, 95H, and 226K animals and breeding away from the more susceptible 96G animals, in the hope that their herds will face a lower risk of infection.

These studies are interesting to bad our backwards ass state views the farms as enemies instead of allies. I know the majority of the ones I know would be glad to work with the state on a research type basis to better understand this. Instead they rather do a mass depopulation.

Life is difficult
Science prevails over bulldoodoo and superstition every time
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: BhamFred] #2710065
01/18/19 09:35 AM
01/18/19 09:35 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted by BhamFred

you do realize that one of the traits of the TSE group is that they are supposed to be species specific, that is they won't jump the species barrier to another species. Scrappie jumped to mule deer under very heavily contaminated conditions at Ft Collins. CWD is born and has proven to be the least species specific of the TSE group. It has jumped to Elk, Whitetails, Moose, Reindeer, and a host of others, including monkeys, in a lab setting. Keep in mind the incubation period of other human TSEs is very long, like 30-40 YEARS. Also there have been NO STUDIES to prove or disprove the ability of CWD to jump to humans by eating contaminated meat. Some of the monkeys in the lab did contract CWD by eating contaminated meat.

It has never been proven that it jumped from sheep to mule deer.

Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: centralala] #2710152
01/18/19 10:32 AM
01/18/19 10:32 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
Originally Posted by centralala

it did jump from sheep to mule deer and anyone who says it didn't is a damn liar. The biologists who discovered what the illness was in the deer said it did and she was the leading researcher on CWD in the world before her death in an auto accident.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: BhamFred] #2710161
01/18/19 10:40 AM
01/18/19 10:40 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,

it did jump from sheep to mule deer and anyone who says it didn't is a damn liar. The biologists who discovered what the illness was in the deer said it did and she was the leading researcher on CWD in the world before her death in an auto accident.

Direct me to that research. I have read nothing that says it was proven. Speculation? Yes. Proven? No. How did the very first sheep get it? Could the sheep and mile deer both gotten from the same source?

Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: BhamFred] #2710167
01/18/19 10:43 AM
01/18/19 10:43 AM
Hamilton/Auburn
Shotts Offline
8 point
Shotts  Offline
8 point
Hamilton/Auburn

I have read the Macaque paper and it is a very long stretch to say it jumped the species barrier based on that study. They took infected concentrated brain tissue and actually not only implanted it in the Macaque tissue in the brain but scratched the brain cells to make sure it had positive uptake. On the others they were feeding them as much as 25% of their total body weight per day in infected concentrated CWD brain tissue. This does not show it can "naturally jump" the barrier from natural means, only that it can live in a different host species under ideal conditions. Further only half of the Macaques in this study contracted the disease under this extreme set of circumstances.

Life is difficult
Science prevails over bulldoodoo and superstition every time
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: Chad T] #2710203
01/18/19 11:08 AM
01/18/19 11:08 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
CWD-info.org must be spreading bad info!

Scrapie, a TSE of domestic sheep, has been recognized in the United States since 1947, and it is possible that CWD was derived from scrapie. It is possible, though never proven, that deer came into contact with scrapie-infected sheep either on shared pastures or in captivity somewhere along the front range of the Rocky Mountains, where high levels of sheep grazing occurred in the early 1900s.

Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: Chad T] #2710277
01/18/19 12:32 PM
01/18/19 12:32 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama
centralala, I've studied CWD since 1980, read everything there was to read on it starting back then. The "official line" has changed a lot since then to lie their way out of admitting that Colorado set the stage for the transmission of scrappy to deer at the Foothills Wildlife Research Station in 1965 er so. Beth Williams was one of the original research assistants involved in the studies. She said, in her early writings that deer were placed in pens that had held scrappy infected sheep. She had no reason to lie. Co now denies that it happened. Williams went on to earn he Doctorate and discovered that the "strange illness" that befell the deer in the pens was a TSE disease(scrappie). Williams said in one of her later papers that "she feared that they(the researchers at FT Collins) had set the stage for a new disease in deer. She was at the time the worlds leading researcher on CWD.

Anyone who studied CWDs origins and spread can come to only one conclusion....that CWD had its birth at FT Collins Co in 1965-67. Researchers in the early 80s backtraced every infected deer in the US and Canada directly or indirectly back to Ft Collins. The researchers at Ft Collins had released deer back into the wild just north of Ft Collins. Take a look at any current map of CWD outbreaks and notice the red hot zone just north of Ft Collins.

proud Cracker-Americaan

Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: centralala] #2710278
01/18/19 12:33 PM
01/18/19 12:33 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline
Freak of Nature
alabama

Scrapie, a TSE of domestic sheep, has been recognized in the United States since 1947, and it is possible that CWD was derived from scrapie. It is possible, though never proven, that deer came into contact with scrapie-infected sheep either on shared pastures or in captivity somewhere along the front range of the Rocky Mountains, where high levels of sheep grazing occurred in the early 1900s.

you don't think that something on the internet could be wrong for whatever motive.

proud Cracker-Americaan

Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: BhamFred] #2710281
01/18/19 12:41 PM
01/18/19 12:41 PM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,

you don't think that something on the internet could be wrong for whatever motive.

That was from a Dr. Elizabeth Williams paper, a pathologists who found the brain liesions associated with CWD. Why would she lie? Who were you refering to that proved it went from sheep to deer? I would like to read here also.

Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: BhamFred] #2710283
01/18/19 12:45 PM
01/18/19 12:45 PM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
centralala, I've studied CWD since 1980, read everything there was to read on it starting back then. The "official line" has changed a lot since then to lie their way out of admitting that Colorado set the stage for the transmission of scrappy to deer at the Foothills Wildlife Research Station in 1965 er so. Beth Williams was one of the original research assistants involved in the studies. She said, in her early writings that deer were placed in pens that had held scrappy infected sheep. She had no reason to lie. Co now denies that it happened. Williams went on to earn he Doctorate and discovered that the "strange illness" that befell the deer in the pens was a TSE disease(scrappie). Williams said in one of her later papers that "she feared that they(the researchers at FT Collins) had set the stage for a new disease in deer. She was at the time the worlds leading researcher on CWD.

Anyone who studied CWDs origins and spread can come to only one conclusion....that CWD had its birth at FT Collins Co in 1965-67. Researchers in the early 80s backtraced every infected deer in the US and Canada directly or indirectly back to Ft Collins. The researchers at Ft Collins had released deer back into the wild just north of Ft Collins. Take a look at any current map of CWD outbreaks and notice the red hot zone just north of Ft Collins.

I'm just asking to show me the info. I want to read where it went from sheep to deer and proven.

Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: Chad T] #2710292
01/18/19 01:02 PM
01/18/19 01:02 PM
God's Country
S
Swampdrummin Offline
4 point
Swampdrummin  Offline
4 point
S
God's Country
Originally Posted by Shotts

I have read the Macaque paper and it is a very long stretch to say it jumped the species barrier based on that study. They took infected concentrated brain tissue and actually not only implanted it in the Macaque tissue in the brain but scratched the brain cells to make sure it had positive uptake. On the others they were feeding them as much as 25% of their total body weight per day in infected concentrated CWD brain tissue. This does not show it can "naturally jump" the barrier from natural means, only that it can live in a different host species under ideal conditions. Further only half of the Macaques in this study contracted the disease under this extreme set of circumstances.

In “THE MACQUE MONKEY STUDY”, as in the one that everyone one is raising a big fuss about, the meat fed to the macaques represented the human equivalent of eating a 7-ounce steak per month not 25% of their body weight in brains.

So just to be clear the equivalent of A SEVEN OUNCE STEAK PER MONTH killed monkeys in THE MAQUE MONKEY study. I believe 3/5 had died so far at the time those findings were posted. They Weren’t done with the study yet as I recall but that was so alarming they had to get it out.

Quack quack.
Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: Chad T] #2710298
01/18/19 01:09 PM
01/18/19 01:09 PM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Let me be clear, all I know is what I've read. And I've read a ton on it. I welcome something different from what I've read. I have found some discrepancies between states in some readings. Nothing major. But to say they are lying as a cover up leads me to believe that is not the only lie. So, what else are we being lied to about CWD.

Re: CWD Found in Alabama / Tennessee line [Re: centralala] #2710329
01/18/19 01:59 PM
01/18/19 01:59 PM
God's Country
S
Swampdrummin Offline
4 point
Swampdrummin  Offline
4 point
S
God's Country
Let me be clear, all I know is what I've read. And I've read a ton on it. I welcome something different from what I've read. I have found some discrepancies between states in some readings. Nothing major. But to say they are lying as a cover up leads me to believe that is not the only lie. So, what else are we being lied to about CWD.

Come again?

Quack quack.
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.