</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Lowrance Ghost or 24v Ultrex
by bradbathome. 03/28/24 08:17 PM
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Mbrock. 03/28/24 08:56 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
110 registered members (Kicker, Beer Belly, rrice0725, Mjh97, IDOT, Mbrock, klay, bama_earl, DoeMaster, BhamFred, cdaddy14, 3006bullet, BayedUp, RobN25, OldgoatTN68, Raven, bward85, odocoileus, Tall Dog, AU338MAG, hallb, jdhunter2011, trlrdrdave, huntndad, Bandit635, DEDTRKY, ALclearcut, bfoote, cuztoshaw, Shaneomac2, HawkPilot, HBWALKER14, brett.smith, JA, donia, goodman_hunter, JDW25, ALPatriot15, clayk, gman, Floorman1, Simpleman, SouthBamaSlayer, crocker, joe sixpack, cullbuck, AL18, hue, jwalker77, sethjamtoe, desertdog, CCC, Swamp Monkey, DGAMBLER, CAM, Peach, Cuz-Pat, Remington270, Shane99, BrentsFX4, green river 123, Justice, Ridge Life, Squadron77, brokefixer, Jmoore77, Longtine, doghouse, Paxamus, Rem870s2, DEADorALIVE, PourIron12, jaydub12, sw1002, jhardy, JKlep, mathews prostaff, gundoc, Quack Quack Bang, Cjunkin, mossyback, CrappieMan, BamaFan64, Chickenrig, courseup, Whild_Bill, Ben2, MTeague, BrandonClark, M48scout, AMB, Young20, biglmbass, Doeslayer44, NWFJ, aucountry, booner, kodiak06, 12 invisible), 569 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: YEKRUT] #2583599
09/18/18 08:45 PM
09/18/18 08:45 PM

O
outdoorobsession
Unregistered
outdoorobsession
Unregistered
O

Originally Posted by YEKRUT
I used to when we had turkeys in the counties I hunt. Killed several over the years. I love talking to a flock in the fall.

Yep. They are some vocal birds with the hens assembly yelping and the lost young jakes and Jennys Kee keeing trying to find mom.

The gobblers and jakes breaking up and gobbler and jake yelping em in.

Definitely some vocal birds but not as exciting as that gobbling, spitting and drumming of a big ole tom sneaking in all smart like. Now THATS the ticket to me. thumbup gun

By the way, these are the guys. Turkey Trot acres in candor NY. theyve been doing those fall hunt forever.

http://turkeytrotacres.com/welcome/

Last edited by outdoorobsession; 09/18/18 08:53 PM.
Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: YEKRUT] #2583648
09/18/18 09:22 PM
09/18/18 09:22 PM
B
blade Offline
12 point
blade  Offline
12 point
B
Originally Posted by YEKRUT
Originally Posted by SouthBamaSlayer
Originally Posted by BhamFred
Most good spring hunters don't have the woodsmanship, skill, or patience to kill fall longbeards on a regular basis. Different kind of hunting.

So what’s they key to killing them? Can’t say I’ve ever hunted them in the Fall.

Fall hens are easy, bust them and call them back up. Hey talk a lot and need to be together. A fall gobbler doesn’t give 2 chits about getting back together with a flock today or next month if it isn’t easy and on his way to his next meal. They don’t care if they see another turkey most of the time until spring comes along again.

Yes sir, my experience as well.

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2583758
09/18/18 11:26 PM
09/18/18 11:26 PM
alabama
BhamFred Online mad
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Online Mad
Freak of Nature
alabama
there is a LOT of difference in calling back a young hen or jake and calling back a mature gobbler. Hell of a lot of difference.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2583761
09/18/18 11:32 PM
09/18/18 11:32 PM
Clanton, AL
Out back Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Out back  Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Clanton, AL
Chilton county used to have a fall season, back in the late 70s and 80s.
We hunted them some, but it just ain't the same..
It's kinda like deer hunting for turkeys, and it ain't fun.

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.
Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: BhamFred] #2583846
09/19/18 08:01 AM
09/19/18 08:01 AM
Over Yonder
C
Clem Offline OP
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline OP
Mildly Quirky
C
Over Yonder
Originally Posted by BhamFred
there is a LOT of difference in calling back a young hen or jake and calling back a mature gobbler. Hell of a lot of difference.

About six or seven years ago in Indiana I was bowhunting and heard scratchin' in the leaves. Got ready and then a flock of hens and jakes appeared behind me in the woods just moseying along.

I didn't move and let them get about 20-30 yards past me over a little ridge. Started mouth-yelping and sounded like a flywheel locking up. Bad, bad noises. But I figured what the heck.

The jakes went bananas kee-keeing and then the hens started in. Called them back like that three times under my stand and they all stood around trying to figure it out. Dumber than hammers.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2583876
09/19/18 08:54 AM
09/19/18 08:54 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Growing up in Talladega county that's how I cut my teeth on hunting really. There was a period of life in my teenage years (late 80's) where that's almost all we did. It was harder to kill longbeards in the Fall than in the Spring, they just aren't as receptive to calling. We usually used the ol "bust up" technique, but 95% of what you'd call back up were hens and jakes. I don't remember ever killing a hen (not even by accident), but I confess to killing more than 1 jake/gobbler at a time before. But crap, we were idiot teenaged boys who thought it was cool then.

There's a place on Cheaha Mountain called "Cemetery Mountain" (it's on the Clay county end) and some of you may be familiar with "Union T Church". Back in the late 80's and early 90's that little area was crazy loaded with turkeys and we tried our best to kill all of em! grin I remember one afternoon after school we parked at the church (we'd pull around behind the building and hide our truck) and there was a dim road that went into the woods back there. We had barely gotten out of sight of the church and heard turkeys scratching right off side of the road where a draw came up. We got low and slipped up there, but couldn't see em, yet there were just "right there!" We decided to rush em and bust em up, so I ran about 5 good long strides and stopped and there were longbeards standing everywhere...no crap, there must have been a dozen!!!! Those fools didn't move, so BANG!!! I killed one and the others started pitching up and running off, and I killed two more ( I know, I know ). Friend shot only once and apparently missed. So my idiot self killed 3 longbeards all at once. Outlaw story extraordinaire, but back in those days at our age that was the stuff of legends. That friend died of an accidental gunshot a couple of years ago, but we must have relived that story a million times over the years.

I was hunting with Doug Camp one morning behind Horse Creek Cemetery (I think I was 14 or 15 years old, and Mr. Camp was already an old man at that time), this was back when he was still with Southland. If any of y'all knew Doug then you may remember he basically went deaf in one ear (and could barely hear out of the other one). In his older years he'd say he couldn't really tell which direction the gobble came from. Anyway, we had roosted birds the day before and were in there waiting before daylight, sitting about 10 yards apart against two white oaks. It was already pretty good daylight and we could hear the turkeys maybe 150+ yard in front of us on the ridge. Well I had heard the dog hunters come in on the gravel road way back behind us earlier, and had been hearing some dogs cold trailing, then they lit the woods up hot after some deer. I could tell they were coming our way, but Mr. Camp didn't seem to hear them at all. I heard the deer hit the creek way down behind/below us and could tell they were now coming right at me up a little finger ridge, and remember Mr. Camp had his back slightly turned to me (and as far as I could tell, had no idea what was about to go down rofl) I never heard Doug say a cuss word before, but all in about 10 seconds two big bucks (there were more, but I ain't sure what they were) topped that ridge about 15 steps from me and BANG BANG BANG!!!!! I shot the lead deer 3 times with 3" #6's and he turned a flip right on top of us (I'm basically trying to stand up and shooting all in one motion). Turkeys are flyin' and cacklin' in every direction, one deer is running off, one deer is flopping around knockin' over bushes, dogs are screaming and barking coming across the creek, and then it goes stone cold quiet. I don't think I'm even breathing, and I look around and Mr. Camp ain't moved, still against that tree with his gun across his lap. We looked at each other about 10 seconds and he simply says, "Well damn" rofl

Gosh I miss those days, hunting has never been like again. cry

Last edited by ikillbux; 09/19/18 08:55 AM.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2583909
09/19/18 09:49 AM
09/19/18 09:49 AM
Over Yonder
C
Clem Offline OP
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline OP
Mildly Quirky
C
Over Yonder
Awesome story, man. That's when hunting was fun.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2583931
09/19/18 10:20 AM
09/19/18 10:20 AM
IN
P
ParrotHead89 Offline
10 point
ParrotHead89  Offline
10 point
P
IN
I have killed one every year that we have had a Fall season up here in IN. I always shot a hen. We have so many and I like to save the toms. All killed while deer hunting.

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: ParrotHead89] #2584112
09/19/18 02:00 PM
09/19/18 02:00 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted by ParrotHead89
I have killed one every year that we have had a Fall season up here in IN. I always shot a hen. We have so many and I like to save the toms. All killed while deer hunting.

I've always thought it was interesting that we have doe harvest in Alabama, but not hens. The turkey ratio is WAY more "unbalanced" than the deer.

Last edited by ikillbux; 09/19/18 02:00 PM.

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: ikillbux] #2584144
09/19/18 02:16 PM
09/19/18 02:16 PM
Montgomery / Luverne
crenshawco Offline
Booner
crenshawco  Offline
Booner
Montgomery / Luverne
Originally Posted by ikillbux

I've always thought it was interesting that we have doe harvest in Alabama, but not hens. The turkey ratio is WAY more "unbalanced" than the deer.

I'm guessing you don't know a whole lot about turkey biology

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: ikillbux] #2584275
09/19/18 04:22 PM
09/19/18 04:22 PM
Central, Al
Bustinbeards Offline
Booner
Bustinbeards  Offline
Booner
Central, Al
Originally Posted by ParrotHead89

And look how well killing all the does is working out. Literally like killing the golden goose. slap

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Well, the way I see it is there's just too many assholes
On a good day there's a bunch of assholes in here. On a bad day there's too many assholes in here.
Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2584288
09/19/18 04:33 PM
09/19/18 04:33 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Um, it was simply an offhand comment that most turkey hunters could appreciate, not a scientific opinion, nor a rule suggestion. You're preaching to the choir, I've never killed a hen, never wanted to kill a hen, and have maybe killed 5 does in 10 years. It's just always been my joke about having a gobbler henned up with 40 hens. If you read it from the right viewpoint, it's a sarcastic cut about killing does, not really about hens. I probably shoulda worded it differently.

Last edited by ikillbux; 09/19/18 04:35 PM.

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2584618
09/19/18 10:04 PM
09/19/18 10:04 PM
Alabama
Honolua Offline
I'm Honey Lou Lou and I voted for Obama... Twice!!!
Honolua  Offline
I'm Honey Lou Lou and I voted for Obama... Twice!!!
Alabama
If you think your somethin' in the woods try a Fall Gobbler. You'll likely come away from it empty handed and humbled. Having said that I just found an unopened Ghost Cut for that fall Kee Kee.

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2584873
09/20/18 09:21 AM
09/20/18 09:21 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Those old gobblers in the fall sound like rubbing two sanding blocks together! LOL Just a three note yelp, deep and rough.

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2587277
09/22/18 07:01 PM
09/22/18 07:01 PM
Clanton,Alabama
D
Dublgrumpy Offline
6 point
Dublgrumpy  Offline
6 point
D
Clanton,Alabama
When we had a fall season, I killed several big longbeards by going to the woods late in the evening & listening for them to fly up. Since the gobs & hens usually are separated from each other in the fall, you can easily tell the difference in them when they fly up- gobs make a lot more wing racket. Go back in the next morning before daylight & set up maybe 75 yards from them & at daylight make some course gobs yelps on a boxcall. I had no problem having a longbeards in front of me in 20-25 minutes after daylight. Only thing is they just feed towards you fairly quick & it's just listening to em walk & scratch-aint much vocals, but they're still curious & still enjoyable to hunt, just not as much as spring.

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: ikillbux] #2588624
09/24/18 08:54 AM
09/24/18 08:54 AM
USA
R
Remington270 Online content
Freak of Nature
Remington270  Online Content
Freak of Nature
R
USA
Um, it was simply an offhand comment that most turkey hunters could appreciate, not a scientific opinion, nor a rule suggestion. You're preaching to the choir, I've never killed a hen, never wanted to kill a hen, and have maybe killed 5 does in 10 years. It's just always been my joke about having a gobbler henned up with 40 hens. If you read it from the right viewpoint, it's a sarcastic cut about killing does, not really about hens. I probably shoulda worded it differently.

I've made similar points on here before. I don't kill does, or hens, but many folks seem to folks that you can nearly extinct a doe herd, and have bigger bucks. Hasn't worked out too well.

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: ikillbux] #2590024
09/25/18 04:23 PM
09/25/18 04:23 PM
AL
T
therealhojo Offline
8 point
therealhojo  Offline
8 point
T
AL
Growing up in Talladega county that's how I cut my teeth on hunting really. There was a period of life in my teenage years (late 80's) where that's almost all we did. It was harder to kill longbeards in the Fall than in the Spring, they just aren't as receptive to calling. We usually used the ol "bust up" technique, but 95% of what you'd call back up were hens and jakes. I don't remember ever killing a hen (not even by accident), but I confess to killing more than 1 jake/gobbler at a time before. But crap, we were idiot teenaged boys who thought it was cool then.

There's a place on Cheaha Mountain called "Cemetery Mountain" (it's on the Clay county end) and some of you may be familiar with "Union T Church". Back in the late 80's and early 90's that little area was crazy loaded with turkeys and we tried our best to kill all of em! grin I remember one afternoon after school we parked at the church (we'd pull around behind the building and hide our truck) and there was a dim road that went into the woods back there. We had barely gotten out of sight of the church and heard turkeys scratching right off side of the road where a draw came up. We got low and slipped up there, but couldn't see em, yet there were just "right there!" We decided to rush em and bust em up, so I ran about 5 good long strides and stopped and there were longbeards standing everywhere...no crap, there must have been a dozen!!!! Those fools didn't move, so BANG!!! I killed one and the others started pitching up and running off, and I killed two more ( I know, I know ). Friend shot only once and apparently missed. So my idiot self killed 3 longbeards all at once. Outlaw story extraordinaire, but back in those days at our age that was the stuff of legends. That friend died of an accidental gunshot a couple of years ago, but we must have relived that story a million times over the years.

I was hunting with Doug Camp one morning behind Horse Creek Cemetery (I think I was 14 or 15 years old, and Mr. Camp was already an old man at that time), this was back when he was still with Southland. If any of y'all knew Doug then you may remember he basically went deaf in one ear (and could barely hear out of the other one). In his older years he'd say he couldn't really tell which direction the gobble came from. Anyway, we had roosted birds the day before and were in there waiting before daylight, sitting about 10 yards apart against two white oaks. It was already pretty good daylight and we could hear the turkeys maybe 150+ yard in front of us on the ridge. Well I had heard the dog hunters come in on the gravel road way back behind us earlier, and had been hearing some dogs cold trailing, then they lit the woods up hot after some deer. I could tell they were coming our way, but Mr. Camp didn't seem to hear them at all. I heard the deer hit the creek way down behind/below us and could tell they were now coming right at me up a little finger ridge, and remember Mr. Camp had his back slightly turned to me (and as far as I could tell, had no idea what was about to go down rofl) I never heard Doug say a cuss word before, but all in about 10 seconds two big bucks (there were more, but I ain't sure what they were) topped that ridge about 15 steps from me and BANG BANG BANG!!!!! I shot the lead deer 3 times with 3" #6's and he turned a flip right on top of us (I'm basically trying to stand up and shooting all in one motion). Turkeys are flyin' and cacklin' in every direction, one deer is running off, one deer is flopping around knockin' over bushes, dogs are screaming and barking coming across the creek, and then it goes stone cold quiet. I don't think I'm even breathing, and I look around and Mr. Camp ain't moved, still against that tree with his gun across his lap. We looked at each other about 10 seconds and he simply says, "Well damn" rofl

Gosh I miss those days, hunting has never been like again. cry

I cannot believe we don't know each other from back then. I just remembered the PM that you knew my uncle Hugh. I bet we have met, just don't realize it. We hunted all over Cemetery Mtn. Mr Camp and my Granddad were real good friends.

Last edited by therealhojo; 09/25/18 04:29 PM.
Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2590034
09/25/18 04:32 PM
09/25/18 04:32 PM
AL
T
therealhojo Offline
8 point
therealhojo  Offline
8 point
T
AL
Did you ever get to hunt with Billy Curry---That is a turkey killing machine!

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: therealhojo] #2591448
09/26/18 08:47 PM
09/26/18 08:47 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted by therealhojo
Did you ever get to hunt with Billy Curry---That is a turkey killing machine!
Naw, seems like I remember the name, but can't put a face with it. I would've been a teenager back then though. Did you ever know the Gallahars? That's how I came to know Mr. Camp (well, that and his wife Maxine was a teacher at my school)

Re: Hunting turkeys in autumn [Re: Clem] #2591519
09/26/18 09:28 PM
09/26/18 09:28 PM
AL
T
therealhojo Offline
8 point
therealhojo  Offline
8 point
T
AL
You would know Billy if you ever met him. He worked at Southland for a short time. About 5' tall Black guy. Salt of the earth.

I grew up with Phillip, His dad was my first baseball coach. I cannot for the life of me remember his name. It was always Coach Gallaher to me. His brother Royce, lived not far from us. He killed a few bird's too! If that's the same Gallahars you are talking about.

Last edited by therealhojo; 09/26/18 09:29 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.