</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
2011 Toyota RAV4
by jsubrett6. 04/16/24 10:00 PM
Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters Edition
by Mbrock. 04/16/24 09:30 PM
44 Mag Ammo
by wew3006. 04/16/24 02:43 PM
Chevrolet Silverado - Low Miles
by Gulfcoast. 04/16/24 12:11 PM
Serious Deer Talk
First cwd transmission to human?
by Wahoo. 04/17/24 06:40 PM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by jdhunter2011. 04/17/24 11:42 AM
Corn planting need Cnc advise
by cartervj. 04/11/24 05:24 AM
Anybody tried a Buck Muffin?
by JohnG. 04/10/24 04:55 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
11 registered members (gregnbc, David Ellis, n2deer, Jotjackson, buzzard, Frankie, TexasHuntress, AKB, Todd1700, mzzy, 1 invisible), 392 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: hootn] #2497248
06/01/18 06:29 PM
06/01/18 06:29 PM
Clanton, AL
Out back Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Out back  Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Clanton, AL
Originally Posted by hootn
Originally Posted by Out back
The dumbest thing I've seen turkey hunters doing is riding a 4wheeler and blowing on a stupid owl hooter.

or some one in a loud diesel truck ripping down the road stopping owl calling a couple of times then jump back in the loud truck hauling azz to the next pull in, national forest hunters or wanna be hunters

Exactly!
Or some dumbass with straight pipes.
That pisses me off bad enough to shoot some asshat.

Last edited by Out back; 06/01/18 06:29 PM.

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: Out back] #2497261
06/01/18 06:47 PM
06/01/18 06:47 PM
Helena
3toe Offline
Talking Turkey
3toe  Offline
Talking Turkey
Helena
Originally Posted by hootn
The dumbest thing I've seen turkey hunters doing is riding a 4wheeler and blowing on a stupid owl hooter.

or some one in a loud diesel truck ripping down the road stopping owl calling a couple of times then jump back in the loud truck hauling azz to the next pull in, national forest hunters or wanna be hunters

Exactly!
Or some dumbass with straight pipes.
That pisses me off bad enough to shoot some asshat.

That turkey is smart too. He deals with that crap daily. Give him 20 min and he will go back to doing what turkeys do.

Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2500592
06/06/18 11:33 AM
06/06/18 11:33 AM
North Al
B
BuckRidge17 Offline
4 point
BuckRidge17  Offline
4 point
B
North Al
Blow on a gunt call hard for 30 miutes straight. And what I mean by hard is the only way I believe it could be replicated is to pretend you're blowing a goose call. Any of yall that have used a goose call will know what I mean.

Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2500744
06/06/18 02:55 PM
06/06/18 02:55 PM
Northport, Alabama
S
sportrep Offline
4 point
sportrep  Offline
4 point
S
Northport, Alabama
My brother-in-law, rest his soul, wanted me to come call for him one morning. He only had 8 acres, but swore turkeys roosted on it every day. We got there well before daylight. Turkey gobbled one ridge over. I sat him out in front of me and started my daylight regime with my cap doing a fly down. He gobbled his head off and pitched down 70 yards in front of us. He strutted back and forth, slowly gaining ground closer to us. He was taking his time so I scratched in the leaves. Just as I did my b-i-l stood up and the gobbler flew off. I asked him what he thought he was doing. He said “I was gonna make something happen”. I told him YOU DID! I didn’t speak to him for a week.

Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2501099
06/07/18 12:03 AM
06/07/18 12:03 AM
North Birmingham
JustHunt Offline
8 point
JustHunt  Offline
8 point
North Birmingham
Dumbest thing I’ve seen a turkey hunter do, is brag to anyone who would listen that he killed 10 birds in one season. He wasn’t a real smart guy.

Last edited by JustHunt; 06/07/18 12:05 AM.

Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: JustHunt] #2501138
06/07/18 07:20 AM
06/07/18 07:20 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted by JustHunt
Dumbest thing I’ve seen a turkey hunter do, is brag to anyone who would listen that he killed 10 birds in one season. He wasn’t a real smart guy.

Maybe he wanted to make history. Nobody has ever been prosecuted for exceeding the AL season limit, so perhaps he was on a quest. It would probably lead to a book deal and his own reality show in our crazy world we have now.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2501255
06/07/18 10:02 AM
06/07/18 10:02 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
alabama
had a Pickens Co legend tell me he killed 40 one season. I believed him.

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

muslims are like coyotes, only good one is a dead one
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2501257
06/07/18 10:03 AM
06/07/18 10:03 AM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Offline
Northport, AL

I do my best to avoid other people as much as possible, particularly on public land, so I don't have any outrageous stories. Have seen the typical "tearing down a Nat'l Forest road, stop, roll windows down and blow owl/crow call or hit a box call, wait 10 seconds, drive on down the road"....also heard a couple of hunters walking through the woods talking loudly (I could hear them from 200yds away), all the while a hen was putting and [lightly] yelping close by, but in the other direction. Of course, they ran her off and never knew she was there (along with whatever may have been with her or coming to her)...

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2501270
06/07/18 10:25 AM
06/07/18 10:25 AM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
GomerPyle  Offline
Northport, AL

Oh Hell......how could I forget the one true idiot I ran into on public land a few years ago....think I've told this story before, but I nearly [unintentionally] shot a guy a few years ago.

Last day of the season....had a couple of jakes in front of me. I was frustrated - at this point I'd been turkey hunting a few years and never even SEEN a male turkey with my own eyes.....so, enter these 2 jakes at what I thought, at the time, was 50ish yards. I figured "What the hell, I'm shooting the damn thing", so I shot at one of them and missed. They take off flying, about head-high off the ground, so I take a hail Mary shot at them and whiff again, and they fly off into the next county.

A couple of seconds after my second shot, I see a man pop out from behind the corner of a grown-up hedgerow, RIGHT WHERE I'D JUST SHOT. Dude is wearing all tan/brown clothes except for a faded orange cap, and he's carrying a camera on a tripod over his shoulder. I jumped up from my spot and jogged out to him and he's white as a ghost. I said "What the hell are you doing?!" He said something to the effect of, "well I like to walk around in the woods and take pictures of flowers and birds and stuff." I said "you nearly got your ass shot!" He said "It never occurred to me people would be out here hunting" (on a WMA...during turkey season....and he'd parked within eyesight of my truck)....

He said he never saw me (obviously, b/c I was full-camo'd and hiding in some cover) and didn't see the turkeys. Turns out, he was standing about 10yds directly behind/beside them when I shot, but couldn't see them due to the grass/hedgerow between him and the turkeys. He said when the first shot went off, it peppered a tree beside him and he thought he was being shot AT. Then he saw the birds fly up and heard the 2nd shot, which he says made all the grass a few feet away from him lay over, and realized at least whoever was shooting, wasn't shooting at him but the turkeys.

I suggested he take note of hunting seasons, and not walk around a WMA, in earth-tone clothing, during hunting season in the future.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2501508
06/07/18 03:06 PM
06/07/18 03:06 PM
God's Country
S
Swampdrummin Offline
4 point
Swampdrummin  Offline
4 point
S
God's Country
Saw 2 hunters still hunting through a swamp one time early season. No leaves on the cypress, just green grass and the two hunters moving 70 yards apart like they were actors in a Vietnam movie. Just sat there and watched them go by. You could see a hundred plus yards in any direction.

Last edited by Swampdrummin; 06/07/18 03:06 PM.

Quack quack.
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2501943
06/08/18 06:19 AM
06/08/18 06:19 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee
lckrn Offline
8 point
lckrn  Offline
8 point
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Too many to type but this one was funny as heck. Took a buddy bow hunting back when the tree lounge first came out and he had bought one. Now ole Bubba was every bit of a 130 pounds soaking wet and this tree lounge was as big as him. He’d lay it down on the ground then lay on top of it and situate the straps and then kick his legs up to get some momentum to sit up, funny to watch. Well this particular morning he messed up and pointed his head downhill and for about 5 minutes he looked like a turtle on his back. I was on the ground in tears laughing so hard at him.

Finally deported myself from the peoples republik of Kaliforkistan.
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2502119
06/08/18 10:57 AM
06/08/18 10:57 AM
Lamar
F
Fishduck Offline
6 point
Fishduck  Offline
6 point
F
Lamar
Was hunting some public ground near the confluence of the Tombigbee and Black Warrior rivers with some of my buddies. We had parked the boat about 2 miles up the Tombigbee and scattered. The plan was to meet at the boat about 10:00 and head in for breakfast. Was a beautiful crisp October morning and the white oaks were raining acorns. Deer were on their feet and I had several in bow range. The only downside was the near constant buzz of the unofficial state bird. Mosquitos were everywhere and I had doused myself with DEET. Was comfortable up in the tree and the deer were quite comfortable upwind eating acorns. I was waiting on a buck but was covered up with big does. After a while with no buck sighting my mind turned to grilled backstraps and started to seriously consider shooting a big doe that was Hoovering groceries at 15 steps. No sooner had the thought crossed my mind and the woods exploded. White tails scattered in every direction along with the trademark snorting.

I was rechecking the wind when the source of the commotion came trudging up the riverbank. It was still prime time so a hunter with bow in hand and stand on his back was not expected. I whistled to let him know I was there and he marched to the base of my tree. Guy asked "have you seen my boat?" No I answered we got here way before daylight. He then stated "it must have been stolen" and wanted to know if we would take him back to the ramp. He had been walking back and forth upriver for most of the morning because he had forgotten his OFF and couldn't stand the mosquitoes. I dropped him an extra bottle from my pack.

Looking at the clouds of insects surrounding his head and the bite marks and scratches from wondering, I started to have some pity for him even after messing up my hunt. So I asked where he parked the boat. HIs answer was just a little bit up the river from where the rivers joined but he had walked upstream since daylight and know he didn't walk past it. I told him he was at least 2 miles up the Tombigbee and saw his expression change. He admitted he parked his boat on the Black Warrior. He has spent 2 hours walking upstream of the wrong river. I offered to ride him back to his boat but he thanked me and started back downstream. No compass, no map and honestly no clue.

Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: Fishduck] #2502140
06/08/18 11:31 AM
06/08/18 11:31 AM
Owens Cross Roads
mcninja Offline
12 point
mcninja  Offline
12 point
Owens Cross Roads
Originally Posted by Fishduck
Was hunting some public ground near the confluence of the Tombigbee and Black Warrior rivers with some of my buddies. We had parked the boat about 2 miles up the Tombigbee and scattered. The plan was to meet at the boat about 10:00 and head in for breakfast. Was a beautiful crisp October morning and the white oaks were raining acorns. Deer were on their feet and I had several in bow range. The only downside was the near constant buzz of the unofficial state bird. Mosquitos were everywhere and I had doused myself with DEET. Was comfortable up in the tree and the deer were quite comfortable upwind eating acorns. I was waiting on a buck but was covered up with big does. After a while with no buck sighting my mind turned to grilled backstraps and started to seriously consider shooting a big doe that was Hoovering groceries at 15 steps. No sooner had the thought crossed my mind and the woods exploded. White tails scattered in every direction along with the trademark snorting.

I was rechecking the wind when the source of the commotion came trudging up the riverbank. It was still prime time so a hunter with bow in hand and stand on his back was not expected. I whistled to let him know I was there and he marched to the base of my tree. Guy asked "have you seen my boat?" No I answered we got here way before daylight. He then stated "it must have been stolen" and wanted to know if we would take him back to the ramp. He had been walking back and forth upriver for most of the morning because he had forgotten his OFF and couldn't stand the mosquitoes. I dropped him an extra bottle from my pack.

Looking at the clouds of insects surrounding his head and the bite marks and scratches from wondering, I started to have some pity for him even after messing up my hunt. So I asked where he parked the boat. HIs answer was just a little bit up the river from where the rivers joined but he had walked upstream since daylight and know he didn't walk past it. I told him he was at least 2 miles up the Tombigbee and saw his expression change. He admitted he parked his boat on the Black Warrior. He has spent 2 hours walking upstream of the wrong river. I offered to ride him back to his boat but he thanked me and started back downstream. No compass, no map and honestly no clue.

Wow that suuuuuuuuucks.

Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2502148
06/08/18 11:48 AM
06/08/18 11:48 AM
alabama
BhamFred Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
alabama
he's prolly still wandering around lost as all hell.....

I've spent most of the money I've made in my lifetime on hunting and fishing. The rest I just wasted.....

proud Cracker-Americaan

Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2502154
06/08/18 12:01 PM
06/08/18 12:01 PM
Tuscaloosa, Ralph,Fosters
Turkeyboy Offline
6 point
Turkeyboy  Offline
6 point
Did
that “legend”get a ticket B’hamFred?

Last edited by Turkeyboy; 06/08/18 12:46 PM.

The Earth is Gods footstool
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2502162
06/08/18 12:10 PM
06/08/18 12:10 PM
alabama
BhamFred Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BhamFred  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
alabama
no, I had no proof he had done it other than him saying it, but he was dang sure capable of it. I think he killed 25 the year I was talking to him, said he had a slow year. shocked

proud Cracker-Americaan

Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2502174
06/08/18 12:39 PM
06/08/18 12:39 PM
Turkeyboy Offline
6 point
Turkeyboy  Offline
6 point
During gun season had a member of our hunting club to come flying in at my house ( I was Prez and close to club).He said he pulled into the clubhouse which was on the rural blacktop and two members were busily packing their stuff, appeared in a hurry and scratched off out of the parking area. He had noticed a pickup with hunters about 150 yards parked down the road but thought nothing of it until they came on up to the clubhouse and said they had found one of their dogs shot on the highway, they were about a mile away with their tracking device and had heard a shot in our direction. My member put it all together and asked them to wait there while he came and got me.When I got there, there were two pickups of hunters, very unset ! I convinced them we would get to the bottom of it and to give me a few days. This was on a Saturday so we had an emergency board meeting that nite. We were pretty sure we knew what had happenned and started calling our “suspect” who was not answering but I was able to leave messages. Got a call from him the next day and he confessed. Their dogs had come through on him and hung around all morning long. When he passed the dog, he got out of the truck and shot him from the clubhouse, had no idea he had a tracking collar on him. The other club pulled up to the dog minutes later and he and his buddy were gettin out of Dodge when the other member pulled up, and they left him there to face the repercussions! I convinced him he was going to have to man up and pay up. This guy had been a dedicated member for several years and always went above and beyond time and money. We arranged a “sit down” with our board and the other clubs “board” the dog owner and the shooter. I also arranged for a GW to be there. Was noon on Saturday so we had a full crowd, and the other club showed up with THREE pickups of hunters! The GW arrived on time and I was glad, there was a LOT of tension in the air.Our meeting was at a picnic table away from everybody else. It was a come to Jesus meeting, anything less would have been disastrous. The shooter apologized and explained why he had done it. He offered to pay for the dog, whatever the owner asked (later told me he had a $1000 in his pocket). I vouched for the shooter but not his shooting and told the group his future was uncertain with the club. I think our sincerity and his won them over and we had a good meeting. The owner asked for $200.The GW never said a word until the end and asked if everybody was satisfied. After the meeting we discovered our guys were talking up a joint dog hunt at an announced time and we all got on board with it. Actually had two joint hunts with them. Our club member? Board put him on probation and he paid a $250 fine . Never another problem from him.!!

The Earth is Gods footstool
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: JustHunt] #2502232
06/08/18 02:04 PM
06/08/18 02:04 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
Originally Posted by JustHunt

You talking about gary?

We will burn that bridge when we get there
Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2503465
06/10/18 02:13 AM
06/10/18 02:13 AM
Alabama
Jakethesnake Offline
The Flippin’ Idiot That Could Care Less
Jakethesnake  Offline
The Flippin’ Idiot That Could Care Less
Alabama
A co-worker went hunting. Came back to work telling his story. We got to askin him questions....found out he was walking around a green field and a turkey flew up in front of him. He shot a couple times but missed it. He said it was a hen! He had no idea he couldnt shoot a hen. He was gonna go check it in at the wma check in station if he would have killed it! rofl

Re: dumbest things you have seen hunters do [Re: BhamFred] #2504997
06/11/18 10:47 PM
06/11/18 10:47 PM
Pelham
Ben2 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ben2  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Pelham
Originally Posted by BhamFred
no, I had no proof he had done it other than him saying it, but he was dang sure capable of it. I think he killed 25 the year I was talking to him, said he had a slow year. shocked

I know one just like him fred. 15 is a slow season. They get on a roll and kill one everyday for a week or two and before you know it they rack em up. But, I guess it makes up for the 1-2 a year guys like me.

Last edited by Ben2; 06/11/18 10:47 PM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.