</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mathews lift 29.5
by Bows4evr. 04/18/24 09:53 PM
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
2011 Toyota RAV4
by jsubrett6. 04/16/24 10:00 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by Jdkprp70. 04/18/24 09:55 PM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by jdhunter2011. 04/17/24 11:42 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (globe, johnv, RCHRR, Shmoe, Auburn_03, jsubrett6, crenshawco, Snuffy, XVIII, Mbrock, Ruger7mag, Reaper, Bushmaster, jlbuc10, !shiloh!, Herdbull, Gobble4me757, Bigwhitey, gobblebox, Driveby, Rolloverdave, Etyson, Muzzy76, Ron A., bug54, eclipse829, Chiller, sw1002, Paint Rock 00, TEM, deadeye48, ParrotHead89, 4 invisible), 550 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 24 of 30 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 29 30
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: BREEZE1] #2441776
03/22/18 01:01 PM
03/22/18 01:01 PM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by BREEZE1
Originally Posted by Karl9
I haven't read this whole thread so if this has been covered I apologize.

Why would they expect to get paid over lost revenue from the fines of hunting over bait? It's not the only game crime in town and the time wasted on chasing baiters can be used to go after night hunters
and other game violations. They are not losing revenue. I would bet that the money spent flying around the state looking for baiters is more then the 143k they get from the fines.

Why in the world wouldn't they legalize night hunting to. Maybe not riding around in a truck but normal style hunting most us work days. I think it would still be tougher to hunt at night than during the day and should make deer not so nocturnal. Really thinking about it more who are they to tell us we cant ride in a truck and shoot them at night? I mean its a free country. I really don't know how people own land and can keep people from hunting it. I also think we should be able to hunt anywhere we want to as long as its in the US.

Your on to something here. Make those of us that work at night provide proof of that and then pay for a $15 nocturnal hunting privilege permit. No riding around in a vehicle, but have to sit in a stand. For another $15 bucks you can hunt over your corn pile. There you go standing up for the late night crew. thumbup

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2441787
03/22/18 01:21 PM
03/22/18 01:21 PM
Hayden, Alabama
H
HHSyelper Offline
10 point
HHSyelper  Offline
10 point
H
Hayden, Alabama
So any news on if they are going to vote on it today.

To God Be The Glory!
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2441819
03/22/18 02:00 PM
03/22/18 02:00 PM
Montgomery
bamaeyedoc Offline
Old Mossy Horns
bamaeyedoc  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Montgomery
I'm checking with my son to see if he has heard or knows anything...

AKA: “Dr. B”
Aldeer #121
8-3-2000
Proud alum of AUM, UAB, and UA
Member of Team 10 Point
2023-2024 ALdeer Deer Contest Winners

Glennis Jerome "Jerry" Harris
1938-2017
UGA Class of 1960
BS/MS Forestry
LTJG, USNR

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2441871
03/22/18 03:25 PM
03/22/18 03:25 PM
Elmore county
GKelly Offline
10 point
GKelly  Offline
10 point
Elmore county

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: Todd1700] #2441905
03/22/18 04:13 PM
03/22/18 04:13 PM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by Todd1700
So with that said i hope they keep it illegal so itll keep working grin

Hey, all kidding aside, I have no doubt that is actually true of some that are opposed to it being legal. It's a selfish reason but at least it makes more sense than any other reason they have offered.

Playing the devil's advocate role, what is the legitimate reason it should be legal? If you can't kill a deer already in Alabama, you need to find another pastime. Some of the same people that argue that the state lets us kill to many does are having orgasms over the idea of legal corn. But I doubt it will effect me either way, our neighbors have been putting out corn for years. Many of the deer we kill close to the line have bellies full. One neighbor was buying a ton and a half a week from the Co-op until he got a visit from The Man. Once again, They are going to allow it eventually, but with more stipulations to muck things up. Straight up legal or illegal. No permits, no 100 yards, etc.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2441928
03/22/18 04:45 PM
03/22/18 04:45 PM
upatree
rulebreaker Offline
My head is in my ass.
rulebreaker  Offline
My head is in my ass.
upatree
Please, please, please pass the corn bill,,,, NOW! I can't sleep until they do. I want corn. I need corn, I must have corn, otherwise I'm going to go out of my mind like Todd17. Somebody please go to Montgomery and talk to these guys. I HAVE TO HAVE CORN !!!!!! It's my constitutional right, you can't stop me......... CORN. The rest of ya'll against corn are liberal Hillary supporters and Obama voters and your mama wears combat boots!!

Don't go looking for TROUBLE, it'll find you soon enough!

There are old, wise men and then there are just old fools. The sooner you learn this, the wiser you will be.
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2441935
03/22/18 05:03 PM
03/22/18 05:03 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Playing the devil's advocate role, what is the legitimate reason it should be legal?

Right off the bat this question reveals a fundamental difference in me and you. I believe in freedom. I believe that there should be as little restriction on that freedom as possible. And while we certainly have to have laws that restrict certain activities I feel that it is incumbent upon the person advocating that something be illegal to provide a good reason it should be. Not the other way around. I should not have to explain why I should be free to do something. The government should have to explain why I shouldn't.

But since you ask, here goes.

Our current law regarding this situation is deeply flawed and indefensible. If I am rich enough to plant a corn field then I can legally hunt over it. But it's illegal to hunt over a feeder slinging corn. Why? It's literally the same substance.

It is also legal to hunt over a green patch which is simply another form of bait. It's like saying it's legal to fish for bream with crickets but not an earthworm without any explanation of why that should be the case.

I have asked many times on here for people to explain why corn fields and green patches should be legal to hunt over but not a feeder and have never gotten an answer that made any sense. There is certainly no ethical difference in sitting over a green field vs a feeder. And the only other reason I have ever seen thrown out there is the risk of disease transmission. If that were the reason behind all this then it should be illegal to feed deer period. There is nothing about sitting over a corn feeder with a gun that transforms it into a potential disease hot spot. But it isn't illegal to feed deer. In fact I have never heard a wildlife biologist even advocate making it illegal. The stuff about disease transmission only seems to come up in regards to hunting over it. Not to mention that deer grazing in the same small green patch are just as likely to be exposed to a disease as the ones eating around a feeder.

Last edited by Todd1700; 03/22/18 05:08 PM.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2441949
03/22/18 05:30 PM
03/22/18 05:30 PM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Since you corners like to throw out that a pile of corn is the same thing as a greenfield, I have to ask, how much cover does a pile of corn provide for quail, rabbits, and turkey poults? All of them need the cover for protection and the quail and turkey poults need the protein from the insects found in spring time food plots. How long do you think it will take hawks and owls to start perching above corn feeders and picking off all the small game attracted to them?

Take up your food plots and greenfield are the same shucks with the biologists. See if they feel that way too.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2441953
03/22/18 05:40 PM
03/22/18 05:40 PM
northport
deadeye48 Online content
Booner
deadeye48  Online Content
Booner
northport
Todd your reasoning is right on with my thinking. We have people making laws that leave grey areas and the GW’s are left to interpret as they see fit which shouldn’t be the case. LEO’s are to enforce the law not make an interpretation that’ll be different from the next LEO you come into contact with. Interpretation of law should only be up to judges. I know that some LEO/GW are interpreting according to the judges they deal with but that’s not always the case as we all know

When I need expert advice I tend to talk to myself
The older I get the better I used to be
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: jawbone] #2441956
03/22/18 05:43 PM
03/22/18 05:43 PM
northport
deadeye48 Online content
Booner
deadeye48  Online Content
Booner
northport
Originally Posted by jawbone
Since you corners like to throw out that a pile of corn is the same thing as a greenfield, I have to ask, how much cover does a pile of corn provide for quail, rabbits, and turkey poults? All of them need the cover for protection and the quail and turkey poults need the protein from the insects found in spring time food plots. How long do you think it will take hawks and owls to start perching above corn feeders and picking off all the small game attracted to them?

Take up your food plots and greenfield are the same shucks with the biologists. See if they feel that way too.

It’d be nice if the owls would pick off the coons and possums coming to the feeders. Too bad we don’t have a predator that do that for the hogs
grin

When I need expert advice I tend to talk to myself
The older I get the better I used to be
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: deadeye48] #2441970
03/22/18 06:07 PM
03/22/18 06:07 PM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by deadeye48
Originally Posted by jawbone

It’d be nice if the owls would pick off the coons and possums coming to the feeders. Too bad we don’t have a predator that do that for the hogs
grin

We had a couple of Bald Eagle roost and raise babies every year for about 10 years in the same nest that was fairly close to a food plot. It just seemed like every time I saw a coon while watching the plot they were as wide open as they could get crossing the plot. I guessed it was because of the eagles but one of the biologists that work down there said that wasn't the reason because a coon is too ornery for an eagle to want to mess with.

Maybe we need some pterodactyls for the hogs.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2441981
03/22/18 06:22 PM
03/22/18 06:22 PM
South Baldwin
J
JayHook2 Offline
4 point
JayHook2  Offline
4 point
J
South Baldwin
I would think the ornery part would be gone when those talons sink up in the coons loins...ouch!

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: BREEZE1] #2442260
03/22/18 10:49 PM
03/22/18 10:49 PM
Banana Republic
jb20 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
jb20  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Banana Republic
Originally Posted by BREEZE1
Originally Posted by Karl9
I haven't read this whole thread so if this has been covered I apologize.

Why would they expect to get paid over lost revenue from the fines of hunting over bait? It's not the only game crime in town and the time wasted on chasing baiters can be used to go after night hunters
and other game violations. They are not losing revenue. I would bet that the money spent flying around the state looking for baiters is more then the 143k they get from the fines.

Why in the world wouldn't they legalize night hunting to. Maybe not riding around in a truck but normal style hunting most us work days. I think it would still be tougher to hunt at night than during the day and should make deer not so nocturnal. Really thinking about it more who are they to tell us we cant ride in a truck and shoot them at night? I mean its a free country. I really don't know how people own land and can keep people from hunting it. I also think we should be able to hunt anywhere we want to as long as its in the US.

beers

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Ben Franklin
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: jawbone] #2442266
03/22/18 11:01 PM
03/22/18 11:01 PM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Since you corners like to throw out that a pile of corn is the same thing as a greenfield, I have to ask, how much cover does a pile of corn provide for quail, rabbits, and turkey poults?

Corn is also yellow while green patches tend to be green. That's another difference. Doesn't have anything to do with the central argument of why one should be legal while the other isn't but then neither does the difference you pointed out. And if the ankle high green patches on your place are the only cover the quail, rabbits and turkey have then I'm sorry to break it to you but they ain't gone make it. Besides this is not an either or situation. You can have both. We plant about 14 green fields on our place every year.

Didn't realize I had to be this literal but when we say there is no difference we are "OF COURSE" speaking in the sense that they are both bait placed in a specific location by man for the express purpose of luring a game animal into gun or bow range. Also that sitting over one verses the other requires no difference in skill or effort. That's what we mean.

It's like if I said that murder is murder whether you use a handgun or a shotgun and you chimed in to say it was different and went on to describe the physical differences in the two weapons. Eh, you kinda missed the point there. Hunting over bait is hunting over bait. Whether or not a squirrel can hide in your bait vs mine really has no bearing on the ethics of the situation.

How long do you think it will take hawks and owls to start perching above corn feeders and picking off all the small game attracted to them?

I really can't even tell if you are being serious now. So now we have to keep feeders illegal because owls will sit over them and eat all the small game animals? LOL! We have had them out on our place for decades now and I can assure you there is still an abundance of small game. But by all means if you truly believe that then don't put any out on your place if legalized. Pretty soon all your neighbors rabbits, squirrels, and quail will be nothing but owl s##t and you will be sitting pretty with all the small game animals in the county. LOL!

Last edited by Todd1700; 03/22/18 11:02 PM.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2442271
03/22/18 11:18 PM
03/22/18 11:18 PM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Food plots aren't ankle high in the Spring when young wildlife tends to be born and needs the cover. If you ever bothered to plant a food plot you would realize this. There are great benefits in food plots to all wildlife. You are showing ignorance to contend otherwise.

Like I said, I really don't care whether corn is legal or not. I just want it to be flatly legal or flatly illegal without stipulations about permits and distance. But I do take great exception to the proffer that there is no difference between corn and a food plot or planted corn. Do some reading up on this and you will see how wrong you are.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2442288
03/23/18 02:39 AM
03/23/18 02:39 AM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
If you ever bothered to plant a food plot you would realize this. You are showing ignorance to contend otherwise.

And you are showing yours by saying s##t like this when you don't know me, what I do or have done and what knowledge I may or may not have. We have been planting green patches on our land for over 30 years. Started when we stopped running deer with dogs back in the late 80's. I doubt seriously you know any more about them than we do. They are one good thing to have. Feeders slinging corn and protein pellets are another good thing to have. Hunting over one is no different ethically or skills wise than hunting over the other. If you can list a reason to the contrary then do so. Otherwise you simply join a long line of people here who despite their opposition could not state a single relevant reason why one should be illegal vs the other.

Last edited by Todd1700; 03/23/18 03:39 AM.

- Abigail van Buren
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: Todd1700] #2442289
03/23/18 03:31 AM
03/23/18 03:31 AM
Shelby Co, AL
CatHeadBiscuit Offline
14 point
CatHeadBiscuit  Offline
14 point
Shelby Co, AL
Originally Posted by Todd1700
If you ever bothered to plant a food plot you would realize this. You are showing ignorance to contend otherwise.

And you are showing yours by saying s##t like this when you don't know me, what I do or what I do or do not know. We have been planting green patches on our land for over 30 years. Started when we stopped running deer with dogs back in the late 80's. I doubt seriously you know any more about them than we do. They are one good thing to have. Feeders slinging corn and protein pellets are another good thing to have. Hunting over one is no different ethically or skills wise than hunting over the other. If you can list a reason to the contrary then do so. Otherwise you simply join a long line of people here who despite their opposition could not state a single relevant reason why one should be illegal vs the other.

This is such a compelling argument we should just ban hunting within 100yds or within sight of or on any trails to or from (as determined by a reasonable GW) any man made or natural source of food, water, or mineral.

"Arguing on the internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. You may be good at chess, but the pigeon is just going to knock all the pieces down, take a crap on the table, and strut around like its victorious."--Anonymous
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2442308
03/23/18 05:57 AM
03/23/18 05:57 AM
Hayden, Alabama
H
HHSyelper Offline
10 point
HHSyelper  Offline
10 point
H
Hayden, Alabama
Doc did your son ever get back with you about the bill?

To God Be The Glory!
Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2442332
03/23/18 07:02 AM
03/23/18 07:02 AM
Lincoln, Alabama
B
blumsden Offline
12 point
blumsden  Offline
12 point
B
Lincoln, Alabama
Todd, I believe you are my long lost twin. LOL. I also believe you should run for president. If I had to guess, we're close to the same age, just reading your post. I'm 54. I agree with 99.99999% of everything you've said, especially the part about the gov't explaining why they are taking away one of our freedoms. Nothing Alabama ever does, as far as game laws, make any sense.

Re: Rumor coming thru.. (Baiting Bill) [Re: teamduckdown] #2442346
03/23/18 07:24 AM
03/23/18 07:24 AM
PDL, Fl
T
timbercruiser Offline
Freak of Nature
timbercruiser  Offline
Freak of Nature
T
PDL, Fl
I have planted green fields for a long time and if it were legal to put feed within the 100 yard area I would have both for the deer to choose from. Some years when the rain doesn't cooperate we have dirt plots, if it were legal to feed within the 100 yard area at least we might get a shot at something. At 66 I don't do as well in the woods as I use to.

Page 24 of 30 1 2 22 23 24 25 26 29 30

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.