</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Lowrance Ghost or 24v Ultrex
by bradbathome. 03/28/24 08:17 PM
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Mbrock. 03/28/24 08:56 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
18 registered members (fur_n_feathers, Pwyse, AJones, Captain Howdy, gregnbc, russellb, Butchman205, BAR1225, fillmore, Madmax0818, Booner Hunter, S_Dubs, Okalona, Turkeyneck78, jawbone, 3 invisible), 471 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: Gobble4me757] #2271190
10/26/17 06:56 AM
10/26/17 06:56 AM
Shelby Swamps
basspro527 Offline
6 point
basspro527  Offline
6 point
Shelby Swamps
I do get woodies to respond to call in certain situations I have a couple woodie calls but the Buck Gardner woodie call is deadly.

When you just don't know what to say " Roll Tide"

Instagram @jimtaylor527
Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: Fishduck] #2273793
10/28/17 01:34 PM
10/28/17 01:34 PM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted By: Fishduck
Ducks will typically land into the wind. So set up decoys on the upwind side. That will give you a crossing shot and ducks will not be looking directly at you. On calm days 3 decoys on a jerk cord will bring in ducks.

Alabama duck hunting can be slow on public areas except for the competition which will be fierce. If you have access to private ponds, creeks or sloughs then check them out. Shooting can be fast and furious.

Some of my most memorable hunts involved Alabama public land hunting. The aggravation of dealing with sky busting, constant hail calls, shooting swing ducks and general disrespect causes me to spend WAY too much money to hunt private land in Arkansas.

I've read posts like this before and don't quite understand the part about shooting swing ducks. If 2 different groups of hunters are set up on the same slough and a flock looks like it's going to one setup, but happens to fly by in gun range of the second group, do you expect the second group to not shoot?

That's great if duck hunters show that kind of respect to each other, but I don't see that sort of courtesy in any other hunting. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean by swing ducks?

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: Gobble4me757] #2274025
10/28/17 04:15 PM
10/28/17 04:15 PM
Harvest, AL
AU coonhunter Offline
10 point
AU coonhunter  Offline
10 point
Harvest, AL
It is usually the other group shooting at them at 70-80 yards as they work your setup. If the ducks work both groups, then it doesn’t bother me if they get the shot first. More times than not though, they will just throw up a hail mary shot and noone will get a shot. These are usually the same people who come in 10 minutes before shooting light and setup 80 yards from you blowing on a kazoo with a pitbull as a retriever.

Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: AU coonhunter] #2274082
10/28/17 05:10 PM
10/28/17 05:10 PM
Sylacauga, AL
Booner
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted By: AU coonhunter
It is usually the other group shooting at them at 70-80 yards as they work your setup. If the ducks work both groups, then it doesn’t bother me if they get the shot first. More times than not though, they will just throw up a hail mary shot and noone will get a shot. These are usually the same people who come in 10 minutes before shooting light and setup 80 yards from you blowing on a kazoo with a pitbull as a retriever.

Lol, well that explains the frustration you guys are having. Anything on public water can be frustrating, even fishing has gotten so bad I don't wanna go.

Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2274193
10/29/17 01:34 AM
10/29/17 01:34 AM
Lamar
F
Fishduck Offline
6 point
Fishduck  Offline
6 point
F
Lamar
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Ducks will typically land into the wind. So set up decoys on the upwind side. That will give you a crossing shot and ducks will not be looking directly at you. On calm days 3 decoys on a jerk cord will bring in ducks.

Alabama duck hunting can be slow on public areas except for the competition which will be fierce. If you have access to private ponds, creeks or sloughs then check them out. Shooting can be fast and furious.

Some of my most memorable hunts involved Alabama public land hunting. The aggravation of dealing with sky busting, constant hail calls, shooting swing ducks and general disrespect causes me to spend WAY too much money to hunt private land in Arkansas.

I've read posts like this before and don't quite understand the part about shooting swing ducks. If 2 different groups of hunters are set up on the same slough and a flock looks like it's going to one setup, but happens to fly by in gun range of the second group, do you expect the second group to not shoot?

That's great if duck hunters show that kind of respect to each other, but I don't see that sort of courtesy in any other hunting. Or maybe I don't understand what you mean by swing ducks?

Duck hunting is different than lots of other hunting because the quarry is very visible. There can be multiple groups of hunters competing for the same birds. Ducks almost always land into the wind so a group intentionally setting up downwind can ruin your hunt.

Imagine leaving the boat ramp hours before anyone. Because you scouted the area chosen is exactly where ducks want to be. Decoys are set perfectly. !0-15 minutes before shooting light a group motors in and sets up 100 yards downwind. It is public land so there is nothing that can be done.

The first mallards respond perfectly to your calls. They are circling your decoys and losing altitude on every pass. They pass downwind and drastically lose altitude. You call one more time and the ducks lock up like a fat man carrying suitcases. Then it happens, The other group unloads their guns because the ducks will get no closer to them. They normally are shooting way too far and don't kill anything. Often they knock feathers off a duck and it will be eaten by coons later. If they do knock a duck down, it falls crippled way off and they cannot recover it.

To give a turkey hunting analogy. You have a gobbler responding and coming on a string. As you see him coming through the woods 100 yards away a shot rings out through the woods. The turkey flies off and the "hunter" that crawled between you and the bird stands up. To add insult to injury, the bird was at least 80 yards away from the shooter.

Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: Gobble4me757] #2276148
10/30/17 03:02 PM
10/30/17 03:02 PM
Sylacauga, AL
Booner
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Thanks for the reply. That helps me understand your frustrations better. I don't think I wanna become a serious duck hunter.

Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #2277439
10/31/17 03:35 PM
10/31/17 03:35 PM
A
Atoler Offline
14 point
Atoler  Offline
14 point
A
Thanks for the reply. That helps me understand your frustrations better. I don't think I wanna become a serious duck hunter.

His scenario pretty much sums up a major factor in me quitting. It's gotten to be a constant battle nearly every morning.

Once, I drive 15 hours straight through to Kansas for the opener. Scouted that afternoon upon arrival, then sat at the gate, cooked dinner with my buddies and napped in a lawn chair for a couple of hours. The first truck showed up at 12:45am. So off we went into the marsh. That two hours of restless sleep in a lawn chair was all I'd slept in the past two days. We trudged a hour walk down the levvys and through the water to the spot I had witnessed so many birds using the day before. Set our decoys, and sat there for hours and hours. Waved off several groups of hunters coming in by boat and one group that walked in. They were all respectful and moved several hundred yards away. With shooting light getting close, we see flashlights coming down the levvy in the distance. When they got closer, I shined them with the spot light. Almost immediately you could hear them cussing about "somebody's in their spot". After a few minutes they hadn't moved, so I yelled over at them that it wasn't going to be safe to hunt that close together. Saw a flashlight back up on the levvy and assumed they were moving on. About 3 minutes before shooting time, we had birds landing all around us. All the sudden, a volley rings out right where those idiots had stopped on the levvy. Scared the crap out of me. Only 100yds away and had no idea they were still there. That started a fun filled morning. They shot boxes and boxes of shells, without killing a bird. That levvy was the refuge boundary, and every bird coming to our spot had to fly from their direction. Birds at 100-200yds were getting shot at just to flare them. The final straw came when a group of mallards made it past them unoticed. They started working us, making two or three passes. As they lined up into our decoys, these idiots all unloaded into them from 150yds away. I could hear them laughing... That was the straw that broke my sleep deprived self. Unloaded my gun about 20' off the water and started yelling some choice words at them while I quickly waded over there. Guess they got the message that some or all of us were about to go to the hospital, because they were 200yds down the levvy headed to the truck when I made it to where they had sat. Believe we killed 7 or 8 after they left.

I've got dozens of stories like that, although most of them I was in a better state of mind. Don't get me started on the time my hunting partner shot the buzzbait.

Duck hunting used to be fun. Now, there's encounters like that about half the days you spend on the water.

Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: Gobble4me757] #2277564
10/31/17 04:21 PM
10/31/17 04:21 PM
Houston County
cchoque93 Offline
4 point
cchoque93  Offline
4 point
Houston County
"Don't get me started on the time my hunting partner shot the buzzbait."
please share

Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: cchoque93] #2278660
11/01/17 03:59 PM
11/01/17 03:59 PM
Sylacauga, AL
Booner
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted By: cchoque93
please share

Indeed! If duck hunters are less considerate than some bass fishermen, I know I don't wanna get involved in it. I really thought I was about to witness a killing on Lay Lake one day between a crappie fisherman and a bass fisherman.

Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: cchoque93] #2278734
11/01/17 04:32 PM
11/01/17 04:32 PM
Luverne
tbest3 Offline
12 point
tbest3  Offline
12 point
Luverne
please share

Yes sir, you've got to share that one now.

Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: tbest3] #2283861
11/06/17 03:51 PM
11/06/17 03:51 PM
AL
Gobble4me757 Offline OP
10 point
Gobble4me757  Offline OP
10 point
AL

Originally Posted By: tbest3
please share

Yes sir, you've got to share that one now.

x2!!!

2017 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
2018 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: Fishduck] #2285052
11/07/17 05:16 PM
11/07/17 05:16 PM
Chilton County
modoc_333 Offline
6 point
modoc_333  Offline
6 point
Chilton County

Duck hunting is different than lots of other hunting because the quarry is very visible. There can be multiple groups of hunters competing for the same birds. Ducks almost always land into the wind so a group intentionally setting up downwind can ruin your hunt.

Imagine leaving the boat ramp hours before anyone. Because you scouted the area chosen is exactly where ducks want to be. Decoys are set perfectly. !0-15 minutes before shooting light a group motors in and sets up 100 yards downwind. It is public land so there is nothing that can be done.

The first mallards respond perfectly to your calls. They are circling your decoys and losing altitude on every pass. They pass downwind and drastically lose altitude. You call one more time and the ducks lock up like a fat man carrying suitcases. Then it happens, The other group unloads their guns because the ducks will get no closer to them. They normally are shooting way too far and don't kill anything. Often they knock feathers off a duck and it will be eaten by coons later. If they do knock a duck down, it falls crippled way off and they cannot recover it.

To give a turkey hunting analogy. You have a gobbler responding and coming on a string. As you see him coming through the woods 100 yards away a shot rings out through the woods. The turkey flies off and the "hunter" that crawled between you and the bird stands up. To add insult to injury, the bird was at least 80 yards away from the shooter.

you forgot the part where the other hunter just blows every call he has, as loudly as he can, as poorly as one can, constantly as soon as he sees a duck flying 5 miles away.

-Keith
Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: modoc_333] #2292671
11/14/17 10:15 AM
11/14/17 10:15 AM
B'ham
Goatkiller Offline
14 point
Goatkiller  Offline
14 point
B'ham
What is mean by swing ducks is this ain't a dove shoot. You have to give your fellow hunters enough space to work their birds. 200 yards isn't enough in my opinion. I give 400 at least and I don't call at ANYTHING circling someone else's spread. 200 yards is about enough to work your birds. Another 200 and you can put your decoys down.

Most of what I see nowdays on public land... decoys 200 yards away from someone else. That's too close.

Here is why...When birds swing out past your spread the other group pass shoots or calls way too much and blows them out of the slew or just decides to shoot them at 75 yards. That's 125 from your hole. In duck hunting that's freakin close.

That's what I see on public land today. Use to not be that way. Thank 60 day seasons is where it began... and 20 years later Duck Commander for driving the stake right through the heart. You don't get the courtesy any longer. Too many hunters and in particular in Alabama not enough land. And that's why I no longer hunt public land and thus ducks anywhere as much as I use to.

Think about it. We are overcrowded. And there was no Vision from the DCNR when it came to waterfowl hunting. Never has been. We have a whole state of rivers that Alabama power got to use to charge us money. They didn't build a single area managed for Waterfowl to my knowledge. They just sold lake lots and tried and still try to keep people from hunting. You can't even get out of the boat.. That is dam criminal in my opinion.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.
Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: Gobble4me757] #2296082
11/16/17 05:46 PM
11/16/17 05:46 PM
AL
Gobble4me757 Offline OP
10 point
Gobble4me757  Offline OP
10 point
AL
Another rookie question I must ask, What is the cheapest ammo I can find that's good? and where is the best place to get it??

2017 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
2018 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: Gobble4me757] #2296117
11/16/17 06:21 PM
11/16/17 06:21 PM
A
Atoler Offline
14 point
Atoler  Offline
14 point
A
Originally Posted By: Gobble4me757
Another rookie question I must ask, What is the cheapest ammo I can find that's good? and where is the best place to get it??

Academy normally has the best prices. The cheapest steel shot you can find will work just as well as expensive stuff, no matter what anyone tells you. But several brands and ass what patterns. I was always partial to xperts in bb or #2. In the timber or for teal I would wax them with low brass steel target loads.

Re: Well, looks like I can't hold out any longer... [Re: Gobble4me757] #2296451
11/17/17 05:27 AM
11/17/17 05:27 AM
Lamar
F
Fishduck Offline
6 point
Fishduck  Offline
6 point
F
Lamar
Originally Posted By: Gobble4me757

By the box Academy is probably your best bet. Case prices vary widely and you can usually get a good deal and free shipping. Rogers, Macks Prairie Wings usually have good sales. Federal blue box and Experts were my go to cheap loads. But I hear good things about Rio & Estate. Many times if you catch the sales right the premium loads will be the same price.

If you get the ducks close the brand will not matter. I have smoked ducks with low brass 7 steel.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.