</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Lowrance Ghost or 24v Ultrex
by bradbathome. 03/28/24 08:17 PM
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Mbrock. 03/28/24 08:56 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
117 registered members (Bandit635, Prohunter3509, Calvin, Marengo hunter, Powers, FNG68, kpswihart, JohnG, MC21, just_an_illusion, Lightfoot, Aldecks1, Jotjackson, timberwolfe, Last Soldier, limabean, aucivil, Shaneomac2, PourIron12, LuckyGoose, MS_Hunter, globe, CAL, dirkdaddy, taggedout, Cjunkin, Paxamus, TroyBoy1988, JB71, bambam32, bward85, jwalker77, BCLC, HBWALKER14, hallb, jumboSHRIMP, Chancetribe, NVM1031, Weedpicker, ucmducks, Narrow Gap, WEMOhunter, Floorman1, booner, beerhunter, Backwater, Whild_Bill, CTMS, kyles, mdf, GomerPyle, BamaBoHunter, AMB, outdoorguy88, specialk, 10 POINT, Shane99, CarbonClimber1, Dubie, RCHRR, Woody1, RSF, YellaLineHunter, rblaker, Deerslayer33, Whitetaillane, SouthBamaSlayer, Morris, mzzy, UAhunter, Treelimb, crenshawco, desertdog, Brian_C, alhawk, GeauxRed, MoeBuck, Turkey, Showout, longshot, Tree Dweller, GKM, jb20, georgiaboy1970, joeml18, Obsession, Teacher One, BigEd, Fishbones, RayDog, Ray_Coon, bamamed1, jhardy, SilentButDeadly, zwick, BigAl, brianr, m97, top cat, Strictlybow, gregnbc, lefthorn, mathews prostaff, foldemup, RobN25, knock him down, KnightRyder, .308, 9 invisible), 603 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2270579
10/25/17 03:21 PM
10/25/17 03:21 PM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL
He's made great strides in his motivation to track in just a month. I'm gone start making his alot harder after what I seen yesterday.

I wish these folks up here would hunt more and not shoot as good as they do. This getting one or two calls a week sucks.

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2271390
10/26/17 10:39 AM
10/26/17 10:39 AM
Old Florida
Geno Offline
Booner
Geno  Offline
Booner
Old Florida
Good job! Great looking cur dog.

Once she figures out what this is all about, she will be unstoppable. At least one of those dogs had the best nose of any I've ever seen or heard of.

Whoever is happy will make others happy too. Anne Frank
Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2271691
10/26/17 03:37 PM
10/26/17 03:37 PM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL
Well I had another swing and a miss tonight. Got a call around lunch today from a fella that found my name on here. Shot a doe around 8:30 this morning and he thought he got 1 lung. Blood had some bubbles in it that he had found. This deer went almost straight up a DEEP holler. He took me to where the deer had crossed the road so we wouldn't have to walk all the way to the bottom where it was shot. He had tracked past this spot about 100 yards and lost the trail. I put Spark on it and she immediately shot up the bank the way the deer went and dug in and was working it alot slower than normal but still not as slow as I would expect for a 9 hour old track. She stayed right on the blood and when the deer turned a hard left, she made the check and kept going. The hunter had lost blood about half way up that last hill. She stayed on it all the way to the top and kept going. Pulling hard but slower than usual. I felt like she was on it. Top of the hill is a new cutover and she tracked right into it. She made it about 100 yards in and cut hard left, which put us headed back to where we had walked in. I had not seen any blood at all once we got in the cutover and I felt like she had cut a fresh deer track and was on it as she was pulling really hard and building speed.

I took her back to where the last blood was where the deer made the hard left and we went a different direction this time. I believe she got on another fresh track as she was trying to run and barking a little which she only usually does when she bays.

By this time, its dark and the thermals are coming off the hill so I thought I'd walk her back around toward the blood and either she'd cut the track or maybe wind scent the hill side. She struck on something hard and went in to the cutover again. I followed her about 200 yards into it this time and never seen any blood.

The hunter had told me that after he shot the deer there was a group of 8 does come thru and went the same direction the shot deer went. There was deer running every where on this place and I think it may have been to much for her to handle being a novice and all.

I'm gonna keep working her on the old mock lines and try to slow her down more. I'm ordering the collar this weekend so maybe that'll help some to.

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2271714
10/26/17 03:53 PM
10/26/17 03:53 PM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2271831
10/26/17 06:04 PM
10/26/17 06:04 PM
Cullman, AL
R
Ryano Offline
10 point
Ryano  Offline
10 point
R
Cullman, AL
It has to be tough on one with that many deer laying a track. I know nothing about training one to track a deer but I do know it's hard to get a tree dog to keep from running a fresh deer track. Curs are easier than hounds though so maybe she will overcome it if that was messing her up.

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2271963
10/27/17 02:13 AM
10/27/17 02:13 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Dang, that sucks. She'll eventually learn to leave those other deer alone though when those hot trails don't lead to a prize at the end. It's tough when you first start. It can be hard to tell if their tracking the hurt deer or just a random one.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2273891
10/28/17 02:48 PM
10/28/17 02:48 PM
al
B
Brianmashburn Offline
spike
Brianmashburn  Offline
spike
B
al
Sent you a PM.

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2276550
10/31/17 01:43 AM
10/31/17 01:43 AM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL
Been on 4 tracks in 2 days. Will update as soon as I have more time.

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2276926
10/31/17 07:50 AM
10/31/17 07:50 AM
Alabama
3FFarms Offline
ALDEER SPONSOR
3FFarms  Offline
ALDEER SPONSOR
Alabama

Originally Posted By: bowtarist
Been on 4 tracks in 2 days. Will update as soon as I have more time.

thumbup Love these threads.

Originally Posted by CNC
Ya'll are just overthinking it now

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2277514
10/31/17 04:04 PM
10/31/17 04:04 PM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL
Alright fellers. Time for an update. I went on 2 tracks Sunday and 2 yesterday evening. First track was Sunday morning. The hunter which is one of my most hated friends, had shot a buck Saturday afternoon. He knew right away it was a gut shot and backed out. He went back in Sunday morning and lost the deer about 200 yards away in a thicket. I took both dogs because my female is in heat and is acting 6 ways of crazy. We held her back while I went on with Haggard. It was very obvious he is still to young so we brought Spark in. We ended up just going to the thicket where he had lost blood. Once in there, its really thick. She's not hitting on anything. I can hear my midget friend whistle to have me come to him. I had let Spark off leash to be able to work the wind a little. I got to him and it was obvious a deer had layed there a while. I tried calling Spark over but she wouldn't come. She ended up being down wind of the deer and was going nuts trying to figure out where it was coming from. The buck was probably 10 yards away from the bed. Congrats midget, I know your reading this.

Sunday evening, I get a call from a man in Paint Rock. His son had stuck a doe and the arrow was still in her. It was his son's first bowkill. I put Spark on the deer 7 hours after the shot. I let her backtrack it all the way to the hit site and started from there. We had parked down the mtn from there. So we head back down following blood and we get to where the guys had lost blood and she is still going strong. Dad was back behind a ways looking for blood as we were going. We went about 200 yards and found no blood. By her body language I believed she wasn't on the deer. So I restart. She takes the same exact path but takes a left about 100 yards into it. I let her work for another 100 or so yards and come up with nothing. So I restart yet again. Same story, she goes the same way down but gets out so far and just seems to lose it. At this point its nearly dark and i have no light. We started the search about 3.5 hours earlier. I tell Dad that I believe he needs to call a more experienced dog. I had told him from the start that mine were young and there was a good chance they wouldn't make the recovery. There seemed to be a lack of trackers Sunday and I was the only one available. The only other one wouldn't take the track later that night because I had been in there already. I really felt horrible leaving without finding the young man's deer. It's very discouraging.

Up next is yesterday's track. Got the call midday that the hunter had shot a buck and misjudged the distance. He had no blood at the hit site and just backed out to find a dog. He tells me that the deer bolted about 20 yards, stopped and walked off twitching its tail. So we go after him about 6 hours after the shot. He takes me to the hit site and Spark is on it. She tracks exactly where he said the buck walked off. I found one speck of blood about the size of a pencil eraser. There was white hair at the hit site and arrow had some clear fluid on it with no color or smell. I can see in the mud as Sparks tracking a large set of tracks and by her body language I feel like she's on the deer, but we're not finding anything. I restart and she does the exact same thing, goes to a creek. We did this 3 times and she follows the same trail each time. I believe that the deer was shot low and would live. But the way the deer acted is puzzling me. It sounds like a classic gut shot minus the hunching up. But there was only one speck of blood.

I left there and went on up the road. Hunter had shot a buck at 8:40. 18 yards broadside with a crossbow. He caught the off shoulder and they didn't give it any time before tracking. They busted the deer out of its bed and it probably ran 400 yards thru a semi grown up sage field. It made its way into another field which was slammed with cuckaburrs. They seen it trying to get across this field and it was having a hard time walking. So they went in after it, thinking it would be dead in there. They grid search it with no luck. I got there about 30 minutes before dark and we go to last blood and start working our way back towards where they last seen the deer. We end up going around this field hoping Spark will pick up on where it exited at least all while working the downwind side of it. I ended up zig zagging thru this field of cuckaburrs that's at times up to my chest. She ends up hitting a faint trail thru it and we find blood. Its off to the races. She's digging in and on the track. We come out of the field and cross a field road and hit a small strip of woods that is right next to the backwater. She tracked it all the way to the water and I pulled her off. We went 100 or so yards in both directions just to make sure and found nothing else. There was another section of land about 60 yards across the water the we assumed the deer went to. The hunter decided to call it and said he'd go back in this morning to see if it was there. He updated me today and did not find where the deer came out of the water. Up to that point the deer had been bleeding pretty good for just an entrance wound. We both believe the deer tried swimming across and drowned and sank.

Some of the things I've learned this week are, that my dog needs alot of work on older lines. I feel so embarrassed when she can't find a deer that I believe is down and dead. I figure it goes with the territory.

On a positive note, my collar should be arriving this Saturday. I will be headed out for Ohio for a hunt, so I will be unavailable. When I get back, she best tie her shoe's tight cause we got a lot to work on.

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2277524
10/31/17 04:07 PM
10/31/17 04:07 PM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL

Midgets buck from Sunday

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2277809
11/01/17 02:36 AM
11/01/17 02:36 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
thumbup

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2280129
11/03/17 04:45 AM
11/03/17 04:45 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
On a positive note, my collar should be arriving this Saturday. When I get back, she best tie her shoe's tight cause we got a lot to work on.

Make sure you don’t get the collar out and start shocking the dog trying to make it do what you want it to. It’ll create a negative association with the collar and the dog will not want anything to do with it. Forget it even has a shock function for several weeks, maybe more.

First time you put the collar on the dog just take it for a walk and do something fun. It’s new to the dog and you want to have a positive experience associated with it. Next begin working on the tone function. That’s the far right button that makes the collar beep. This is how you’ll control the dog on a track and bring her back to you.

The way I taught my dogs this command was with training treats. I started by simply taking them for a walk and periodically beeping the collar and giving them a treat. It’ s like Pavlov’s bell……beep the collar give the dog a treat. It won’t take them long to figure this out. Once they do then let them wander off from you 40 yards or so and then beep the collar accompanied by a “Come”……You can also put them on a stay command…..back off 40-50 yards and then beep the collar along with a “Come” command……just practice for 20 minutes or so in the afternoons or every couple days. After a few days, take the treats out of the equation and replace it with praise when she comes to you….good girl!.....and then eventually take the “Come” command out of the equation and simply beep the collar to have them come to you.

Practice this for a couple weeks until the dog has it down…..

Last edited by CNC; 11/03/17 04:48 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2291443
11/13/17 12:31 PM
11/13/17 12:31 PM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL
Collar came in while I was on my trip. Charged it up sat. night and gave it a test run on Sunday. My cur dog was already conditioned to an e collar from when I worked with her before. She knows that tone means business. I worked my bloodhound on it today. He comes when called pretty well now so I didn't get to try the tone on him.

I ran both of them yesterday on mock lines and just the bloodhound today. Haggard, the hound, is progressing very well to be 4 months old.

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2298787
11/19/17 02:06 PM
11/19/17 02:06 PM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL
Finally got to try the new collar out this evening. Call came in before church and I went right after. Good buck shot about 7 this morning. Took spark in to the shot site and she takes off. This collar is the bomb. She worked the trail up to where they lost blood and she hooked a hard right. Ended up getting the deer up and she ran it almost all the way back to where we started tracking and I toned her off of it. It ran probably 400 yards or so with her in hot pursuit and me and the hunters friend believe it ain't hit hard enough. Hunter shot it with a 22 250.

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2298797
11/19/17 02:24 PM
11/19/17 02:24 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
This collar is the bomb. .

Ain’t it though……It’s a helluva lot better than holding on to a rope. It completely changed tracking for me.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2304687
11/24/17 05:28 PM
11/24/17 05:28 PM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL
Got a call tonight down the road from my house. Got there 2 hours after the shot. Hunter had made roughly a 100 yard shot on a buck. He had found a couple spots of blood then nothing. I turned Spark out and she immediately was on the deer. Tracked it about 200 yards and ended up getting it up. She ran it out to 550 and the hunter said he didn't have permission to go over there so I toned Spark back. She finally makes it back to me and I can see her right eye is red. Its milky red looking but no blood. I called the vet and he gave me instructions on how to treat and if it's not better in the morning we'll be headed to the vet.

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2309073
11/28/17 03:46 AM
11/28/17 03:46 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Got a call tonight down the road from my house. Got there 2 hours after the shot. Hunter had made roughly a 100 yard shot on a buck. He had found a couple spots of blood then nothing. I turned Spark out and she immediately was on the deer. Tracked it about 200 yards and ended up getting it up. She ran it out to 550 and the hunter said he didn't have permission to go over there so I toned Spark back. She finally makes it back to me and I can see her right eye is red. Its milky red looking but no blood. I called the vet and he gave me instructions on how to treat and if it's not better in the morning we'll be headed to the vet.

How is the eye doing? Everything ok?

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2309255
11/28/17 06:15 AM
11/28/17 06:15 AM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL
She is back to normal. We went on a track last night that was 24 hours old. She done her best work so far on that one. We didn't find the deer as both the hunter and I believe it will live. He took a straight on shot and had a piece of bone and meat at the hit. There was hardly any blood at all. She tracked it off the mtn working very slow and went out about 400 yards and just came back to me. I restarted her and she done the same thing.

She's doing great and learning alot. From now on I'm gonna stay a little closer to her just in case she bays again.

Re: Jackson county deer tracking [Re: bowtarist] #2309268
11/28/17 06:26 AM
11/28/17 06:26 AM
Pisgah, AL
bowtarist Offline OP
THE Octopus
bowtarist  Offline OP
THE Octopus
Pisgah, AL
Forgot to mention, keep an eye out for ticks. I pulled one off my arm thanksgiving day from a track on Wednesday I'm guessing. My arm was sore and I was rubbing it and felt the little devil. There's a black spot still on my arm from it and it's sore in that spot. I've never seen ticks after it has frosted and had 5 crawling on me Friday after a squirrel hunt.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.