</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB .22 LR Bolt Action
by Cuz-Pat. 04/23/24 09:19 PM
Iso Henry Golden boy
by AustinC. 04/23/24 08:32 PM
Basketball goal.... Free
by longshot. 04/23/24 06:18 PM
FS: Henry Single Shot
by Ron A.. 04/23/24 05:41 PM
Honda Foreman 4WD
by eeua90. 04/23/24 01:35 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:09 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
109 registered members (ImThere, Rolloverdave, dave260rem!, Sasquatch Lives, stl32, PineTop, TexasHuntress, Buckwheat, Shmoe, Koba, Bandit635, 7PTSPREAD, KnightRyder, sethjamtoe, Chiller, oldforester, BigA47, BCLC, Lockjaw, BACK40, CNC, desertdog, mw2015, JohnG, brett.smith, Booner Hunter, Mully, BigEd, Fishduck, burbank, JA, goodman_hunter, rickyh_2, Mike59, Camden86, Deer Crossing, Ol’Tom, coachwill, Stu, IDOT, zgobbler5, AU338MAG, velvet tines, ts1979flh, PDC, Smitty4Bama, Shaneomac2, rkt, AustinC, Squadron77, mccarrc, Chancetribe, Crawfish, 3Gs, tmhrmh1, UAhunter, jprice, JCL, JLMiller, Colt1917, BamaBoHunter, sumpter_al, Whild_Bill, 300gr, BrandonClark, shootnmiss, Sself161, Claims Rep., deer3616, Parker243, chuck216, sawdust, mzzy, Cactus_buck, Snuffy, BentBarrel, Andalusia, Narrow Gap, bug54, GmeHunter, Dragfan66, sbo1971, Floorman1, Austin1, JSOG47, Safetyman, Shane99, Spec, Bassfisher21, gastoka, Turkey, weatherby, trailertrash, Backwards cowboy, Deerz38966, BamaGuitarDude, ferbama, Mmiller, BhamFred, WEMOhunter, 9 invisible), 561 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Beadlescomb] #2231972
09/20/17 09:48 AM
09/20/17 09:48 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Beadlescomb
I'm not complaining about the number of birds because thats out of there control just the attitude. I understand quitting early to save the birds for the next day. But joe was telling me there isn't another shoot scheduled there. Which leads me yo believe there was going to be someone down there shooting Sunday

It wasn't just a lack of birds that kept us from signing up this year.One hunt last year had numbered stands that you drew for. You had to stay on that number and stands were between 20-30 yards apart. That's too close for me and we left pretty quick.

Another hunt we never saw a single dove all day but we were apparently hunting over dirt. I couldn't find anything else in that field. I know stuff happens but it just appeared like no effort or care was involved to make it a good hunt.

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Beadlescomb] #2233102
09/21/17 01:06 PM
09/21/17 01:06 PM
Lake View, AL
Joe4majors Offline
14 point
Joe4majors  Offline
14 point
Lake View, AL
You make some valid points. Where are you seeing another hunt at the Ranch in October? I have looked a couple different places and don’t see one.

I think a lot of the tension would have gone away had we simply been given a straightforward answer on when the shooting would stop and why it would be an hour and a half before legal shooting time ended. Instead, we had a bunch of guys that were hot and were told to stop shooting right when the temperature was starting to cool off and the shooting was starting to heat up. Speaking to him face to face when emotions were high probably wouldn’t have been wise either.

Yes, the hunt is free if you don’t consider the hour and a half drive, ammo, having paid to have the dove gun fixed, etc. (and pull the trigger 10 times). And maybe part of the problem is Mr. Mason having too much work on his shoulders, which can be common for guys that get stuff done (20% of the people doing 80% of the work). Bottom line is I left not knowing if I would ever want to sign up for a hunt even if it were free. Just because it is “free” doesn’t mean it’s ok to be poorly managed (no wheat and no straight answer for shooting time). Just my $0.02.

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: abolt300] #2233137
09/21/17 01:36 PM
09/21/17 01:36 PM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
Originally Posted By: abolt300
Originally Posted By: JayHook
Went on an Arkansas youth duck hunt with my boys 10 years ago. Warden sitting beside me passing out copper plated lead 20 ga shells! LOL said they need all the help they can get!

Now that is the attitude that the Gw's should have on these youth hunts. It is about the kids. Make it enjoyable and fun and they will become lifelong hunters.

Teaching them that breaking the law is ok for some folks. Makes perfect sense. No thanks.

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Beadlescomb] #2237974
09/26/17 01:49 PM
09/26/17 01:49 PM
Shelby Co.,Alabama
D
Drdeadchef Offline
spike
Drdeadchef  Offline
spike
D
Shelby Co.,Alabama
I must agree with the opening poster on this. I feel that his arrogant behavior and statements about how this place only exists because of him, was a poor poor representation of the Al DCNR. I personally heard him yelling at at grown man about a mistake rather take that moment and listen to him he treated him like a child. He also made several comments that were just not right. He told one child he obviously knew that don't worry you will get to kill a deer out here this year. To my knowledge those hunts are a random draw, how the hell did he know that? He also said that he would end the hunt when he felt like it, probably early if his college got beat, which apparently it got the crap beat out of em.
I think someone to take him down a few notches, the cattle ranch is not "his personal place". He spoke to all of as thought he was the landowner, not a state employee doing what he is paid to do. I respect his passion but I think he may be disillusioned in stating that this is "his" place.
As far as the ending the hunt early, that was just crap. I drove a total 4.5 hours to for less than 3 hours of hunting. Shooting light had at least another hour and 20 minutes. I understand not shooting the roost, but they is not another hunt scheduled there to mid October. So I hope the birds he saved for his friends were there , cause he damn sure screwed the kids out of what had started to be a very good hunt for them.
I would like to return and hunt it again but maybe the state should have someone else run that hunt and give him the Saturday off.

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Drdeadchef] #2238068
09/26/17 02:58 PM
Lake View, AL
Joe4majors Offline
14 point
Joe4majors  Offline
14 point
Lake View, AL
Originally Posted By: Drdeadchef
I think someone to take him down a few notches, the cattle ranch is not "his personal place". He spoke to all of as thought he was the landowner, not a state employee doing what he is paid to do. I respect his passion but I think he may be disillusioned in stating that this is "his" place.

He has his own family out there hunting. He was yelling at his grown daughter about being late for the safety talk (“even though she has heard it a 100 times”). Makes me wonder if they were out there with youth or just hunting “his” place.

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Joe4majors] #2238071
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield

Originally Posted By: Joe4majors
Originally Posted By: Drdeadchef

He has his own family out there hunting. He was yelling at his grown daughter about being late for the safety talk (“even though she has heard it a 100 times”). Makes me wonder if they were out there with youth or just hunting “his” place.

I think you know the answer to that

We will burn that bridge when we get there
Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Beadlescomb] #2239040
09/27/17 12:15 PM
09/27/17 12:15 PM
Alabama
B
Bigsob Offline
spike
Bigsob  Offline
spike
B
Alabama
Firstly, every youth dove hunt at the ranch for the past several years has ended about 5:30, maybe a little research next time.

Secondly, his daughter was not out there unwarranted, she registered, just like everyone else, had her son there with her, and even waited for all of ya'll to go first to the field. Someone did show up without a child, but it wasn't her!

It absolutely amazed me that someone would gripe about a free hunt(and no, you can not fuss about ammo, gas, gun repair...you'd had to do that anywhere), that is supposed to be for the kids, guess some guys miss the point.

Bill puts a hell of a lot work into that place and your children are one of the main reasons. Maybe, just maybe, you should try thanking him and the wildlife freshwater fishery guys for doing it instead of complaining. The alternative to them not being there means no more dove hunts. If you didn't like the hunt, don't go back.........I'm pretty sure they wont miss you.

Last edited by Bigsob; 09/27/17 01:53 PM.
Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Bigsob] #2239076
09/27/17 12:56 PM
09/27/17 12:56 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
Trust me I won't be back down there. Have a good day bill

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Bigsob] #2239092
09/27/17 01:13 PM
09/27/17 01:13 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Bigsob
Firstly, every youth dove hunt at the ranch for the past several years has ended about 5:30, maybe a little research next time.

Secondly, his daughter was not out there unwarranted, she registered, just like everyone else, had her son there with her, and even waited for all of ya'll to go first to the field. Someone did show up without a child, but it wasn't her!

It absolutely me that someone would gripe about a free hunt(and no, you can not fuss about ammo, gas, gun repair...you'd had to do that anywhere), that is supposed to be for the kids, guess some guys miss the point.

Bill puts a hell of a lot work into that place and your children are one of the main reasons. Maybe, just maybe, you should try thanking him and the wildlife freshwater fishery guys for doing it instead of complaining. The alternative to them not being there means no more dove hunts. If you didn't like the hunt, don't go back.........I'm pretty sure they wont miss you.

I wasn't at this hunt but I would think that all this could have been avoided if the state had posted the time they intended to end the hunt so everyone signing up would have known before hand,especially if that time is anything other than the end of legal hunting time.

The only way for anyone to know when it ended was if they had been there before,or personally knew someone who had. What kind of research could a person do to find out about a hunt that they had never been to or knew of anyone who had been to?

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Beadlescomb] #2239096
09/27/17 01:17 PM
09/27/17 01:17 PM
Alabama
B
Bigsob Offline
spike
Bigsob  Offline
spike
B
Alabama
Wrong again cat! I was was there that day, that's how I know what happened.

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: R_H_Clark] #2239103
09/27/17 01:25 PM
09/27/17 01:25 PM
Alabama
B
Bigsob Offline
spike
Bigsob  Offline
spike
B
Alabama
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

It absolutely me that someone would gripe about a free hunt(and no, you can not fuss about ammo, gas, gun repair...you'd had to do that anywhere), that is supposed to be for the kids, guess some guys miss the point.

I wasn't at this hunt but I would think that all this could have been avoided if the state had posted the time they intended to end the hunt so everyone signing up would have known before hand,especially if that time is anything other than the end of legal hunting time.

The only way for anyone to know when it ended was if they had been there before,or personally knew someone who had. What kind of research could a person do to find out about a hunt that they had never been to or knew of anyone who had been to?

Off the top of my head? Call the number displayed when you register, the one that says for more information contact!

Last edited by Bigsob; 09/27/17 01:51 PM.
Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Beadlescomb] #2239171
09/27/17 02:26 PM
09/27/17 02:26 PM
Greensboro AL
JLavender Offline
8 point
JLavender  Offline
8 point
Greensboro AL

First off, that ain't Bill! Second, like I stated previously if you had your own field, quit complaining about a FREE hunt you chose to go to. Save the spot for somebody more appreciative that has nowhere to hunt next time. 3rd, if you were half as big of a tough guy you try to act like on this computer you woulda pulled Bill aside that day and talked face to face with him about it....

Bill is the ONLY one that keeps that place up....he's out there day, night and off days keeping tghat place up! And I can promise you, the state isn't going to hire anyone to take his place or help him....

2013 World Howling Champion (Hunter Division)
2013 World Distress Champion (Hunter Division)
2013 All Around World Champion (Hunter Division)
Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Bigsob] #2239178
09/27/17 02:32 PM
09/27/17 02:32 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

Off the top of my head? Call the number displayed when you register, the one that says for more information contact!

I'm pretty sure that will only get you to the district office who may possibly be able to get you that info.

The main thing though is that most people would just assume that the hunt would end at official end of daylight hunting time. They wouldn't even know to ask if someone would cut them short by 2 hours. My point is that if such had been the policy for several years all the hurt feelings could have been avoided by someone having the foresight to post the cut off time.

It also might have been avoided by a different reply by the official in charge. If his reply was indeed that it depended on if his team was loosing,I would say that is not a good starting point for a courteous response.

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: JLavender] #2239228
09/27/17 03:13 PM
09/27/17 03:13 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield

Originally Posted By: YAK-EM'

First off, that ain't Bill! Second, like I stated previously if you had your own field, quit complaining about a FREE hunt you chose to go to. Save the spot for somebody more appreciative that has nowhere to hunt next time. 3rd, if you were half as big of a tough guy you try to act like on this computer you woulda pulled Bill aside that day and talked face to face with him about it....

Bill is the ONLY one that keeps that place up....he's out there day, night and off days keeping tghat place up! And I can promise you, the state isn't going to hire anyone to take his place or help him....

Bill wasn't around and I did talk to the game warden. Me having my son with me is the only reason I didn't show my ass

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Beadlescomb] #2239251
09/27/17 03:24 PM
09/27/17 03:24 PM
Alabama
B
Bigsob Offline
spike
Bigsob  Offline
spike
B
Alabama
The only game warden there was Bill! The other two, Justin and Josh, are with wildlife freshwater fishery.

Yes, that is the district office number, who would have either said what times the hunts at the M. Barnett Lawley Field Trial area have ended in the past or given you the number for the land manager's office to seek further advice.

And what is with all this football team getting beat talk? Do ya'll not get sarcasm.....or just when you do it?

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Beadlescomb] #2239305
09/27/17 03:59 PM
09/27/17 03:59 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
The only game warden there was Bill! The other two, Justin and Josh, are with wildlife freshwater fishery.

Yes, that is the district office number, who would have either said what times the hunts at the M. Barnett Lawley Field Trial area have ended in the past or given you the number for the land manager's office to seek further advice.

And what is with all this football team getting beat talk? Do ya'll not get sarcasm.....or just when you do it?

I asked him before the hunt what time they stopped shooting. That was me the big guy in the white 4 door dodge 2500.

He could have just as easily told me that we stop at 515-530. But he had to make a stupid ass comment about a football team getting beat. The only reason i went down there was because my son wanted to go on the youth hunt and I wanted to see what the "public land" looked like down there. But liked I said I'll never be back and I'll discourage anyone i know from going

Last edited by Beadlescomb; 09/27/17 04:02 PM.

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Beadlescomb] #2239314
09/27/17 04:08 PM
09/27/17 04:08 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
I'll just keep doing to dove shoot I do for the guys on here and won't go back. Simple as that I'm done with this

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Bigsob] #2239437
09/27/17 05:49 PM
09/27/17 05:49 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama

I understand that you are taking up for the guy and his hard work. All I'm saying is that none of this should be about him.

No,I wouldn't make a comment about a hunt ending depending on how I feel because of a ball game. That's not sarcasm,that's egotistical.

A simple."I'm very sorry but we can only be out here until 5:30." would have completely diffused the situation of someone being disappointed in having to leave early.

As I said also posting quitting times would have been a good idea.

What does not help the situation is telling someone "Tough,it was free,if you don't like it don't come back." You may feel that way but does that help promote the sport of hunting,this particular hunt or help young hunters in any way? All that does is discourage hunting. It seems to me that attitudes all around could be improved.

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: Beadlescomb] #2239441
09/27/17 05:58 PM
09/27/17 05:58 PM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
N
Tuscaloosa Co.
Maybe y'all will remember this attitude when the Forever Wild vote comes back around.

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: As mad as I've ever been about a dove hunt. State youth dove hunt [Re: BhamFred] #2239490
09/28/17 01:05 AM
09/28/17 01:05 AM
North Alabama
W
Wiley Coyote Offline
Freak of Nature
Wiley Coyote  Offline
Freak of Nature
W
North Alabama
Originally Posted By: BhamFred
I think he's saying Bill didn't get to be an asshole overnight....

Sounds a lot like Bill Griffith from back in the day.

I firmly believe that a double gallows should be constructed on the East Lawn of The White House. Politicians who willfully and shamelessly violate their oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America should be swiftly tried and, upon conviction, publicly hanged at sunup the day after conviction. If multiple convicts are to be hanged they can choose with whom to share the gallows or names shall be drawn from the hangman's hat to be hanged 2 at a time.

NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.