</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Lowrance Ghost or 24v Ultrex
by bradbathome. 03/28/24 08:17 PM
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Mbrock. 03/28/24 08:56 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
174 registered members (timberwolfe, Woody1, Jay512, dirtwrk, kyles, DoeNut, doublefistful, JAT, Noler_Swamp, Chiller, brianr, jhardy, CarbonClimber1, jmj120, Rickster, rutwad, Rainbowstew, Mbrock, RidgeRanger, Paint Rock 00, fishunt1001, GomerPyle, 3006bullet, hoggin, Okalona, AlabamaPhi, GUT_SHOT, ImThere, bambam32, beetrapper, chevydude2015, dwaugh, RSF, jb20, cullbuck, gobbler, jake44, joe sixpack, farmerjay, Narrow Gap, Turkeytrott82, lefthorn, donia, Cuz-Pat, fur_n_feathers, mdf, russellb, Chaser357, ChiefO, Jtide, UA Hunter, Hix14, Ol’Tom, workn4livn, outdoorguy88, Bandit635, jwalker77, AU7MM08, Dekalb123, MikeP, DThrash, AustinC, 2walnuts, Herdbull, jsubrett6, !shiloh!, desertdog, RayDog, Joe4majors, Bmyers142, Paxamus, tucker07, gwstang, eclipse829, BobK, OutdoorsAL, SEWoodsWhitetail, BAR II .270, Skullworks, Luxfisher, Haybale, 7PTSPREAD, jarcher38, NoHuntin, jlbuc10, georgiaboy1970, JA, Omega One, BrandonClark, Big AL 76, Ridge Life, Skinner, crenshawco, Austin1, CNC, auwild, NotsoBright, BhamFred, Fattyfireplug, cgardner, JLMiller, BradB, Canoe Creek, metalmuncher, Hornhntr, lectrode, Ray_Coon, Jbf, TDog93, Safetyman, ronfromramer, Acorn, k bush, Shane99, JD_Bowhunter1976, Smitty4Bama, Gunner211, hayman, gregnbc, RUGRAT45, ALclearcut, Crawfish, Cactus_buck, Downwind, click-boom, Jmoore77, Goose, IDOT, Fullthrottle, roll_tide_hunts, BentBarrel, bamaeyedoc, 300gr, Dubie, mossyback, Butchman205, 7mmSTW, CatHeadBiscuit, quailman, HHSyelper, BC_Reb, taggedout, BREEZE1, deerhunter_1, Young20, cbs, tombo51, Longtine, Turkeyneck78, aucivil, coldtrail, PastorJack, cartervj, beeline08, Big Buck Video, bradbathome, M48scout, bowkl, kpswihart, Ron A., Stacey, 13 invisible), 522 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Guntersville Dam Question #2180366
07/30/17 11:35 PM
07/30/17 11:35 PM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
For the guys that have been there a lot. I own a 19 foot Triton and have recently took an interest in fishing some below the dams and targeting big catfish. So for those that know and fish Wheeler below Guntersville Dam, how close to the dam can I get in my glass boat? Is it shallow and rocky or will it float my boat fine. Obviously I didn't want to knock a hole in the bottom of my Triton and I'm a newb to Guntersville Dam. I normally catfish Wilson and fish the flats downriver and I wouldn't try to take my boat up to Wheeler Dam for nothing. I'm switching to the the bottom of Guntersville Dam because the fishing is just as good and it's about 70 miles closer to the house.

Any help will be appreciated.

"Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters."

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2180372
07/31/17 12:34 AM
07/31/17 12:34 AM
Alabama
Jakethesnake Offline
The Flippin’ Idiot That Could Care Less
Jakethesnake  Offline
Alabama
I been fishin there for about 15 years with a boat. I have never come close to hitting bottom or shallow objects. Sometimes id get too close to the rocky edges, especially where the boat ramps on each side curve outwards. Up close to the dam walls is 8ft deep at normal pool. Headed away it gets deeper from 12ft to 22ft id say. Then carries out steady around 15-22ft. There are some pilings for barges that you could slam into. I wont get in to fish it if they have a flood gate open or pulling a ton of water, Close to the dam. It can get rougher in seconds. There are some real fools out there. I have been one of them in my younger days.

Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2180375
07/31/17 12:50 AM
07/31/17 12:50 AM
North Alabama
W
Wiley Coyote Offline
Freak of Nature
Wiley Coyote  Offline
Freak of Nature
W
North Alabama
I've been going to Guntersville Dam since I was about 4 years old, so 56 years now. There are no shallow areas nor rocky obstructions on the Wheeler side of Guntersvile Dam. Be aware there is not a pier at either boat launch so it's best to fish with a buddy so you don't have to beach/retrieve your glass boat on the concrete ramp to park your truck.

I firmly believe that a double gallows should be constructed on the East Lawn of The White House. Politicians who willfully and shamelessly violate their oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America should be swiftly tried and, upon conviction, publicly hanged at sunup the day after conviction. If multiple convicts are to be hanged they can choose with whom to share the gallows or names shall be drawn from the hangman's hat to be hanged 2 at a time.

NRA Life Member
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2180380
07/31/17 01:04 AM
07/31/17 01:04 AM
Alabama
Jakethesnake Offline
Jakethesnake  Offline
Alabama
I dont like parkin on the north side at boat launch. Never had a problem but looks like a good spot for someone to give you a problem. Secluded. The water is a lot calmer on that side. I call it the huntsville side. I always used that ramp. Bad though cause the ramp only allow room for one launch at a time. Either side. I caught a 7lb smallie there years ago.

Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: Jakethesnake] #2180390
07/31/17 01:23 AM
07/31/17 01:23 AM
UR 6
top cat Offline
Freak of Nature
top cat  Offline
Freak of Nature
UR 6
If your worried about the launch at the dam go put in at Ditto. Only a 10 minute run up river.

LUCK:::; When presistence, dedication, perspiration and preparation meet up with opportunity!!!
- - - - - - - -A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have. Thomas Jeferson - - - - - - - -
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2180400
07/31/17 01:56 AM
07/31/17 01:56 AM
Alabama
Jakethesnake Offline
Jakethesnake  Offline
Alabama
Or madison county boat harbor. But yeah, no shallow spots. Might hit a 60ft tree with the full tree top and root ball. Seen them barely stickin out if water. You cant tell me that you can see that going 60 or 70 across the water. Man 30mph is enough to rip your motor off. We aint on the interstate. Why go that fast? I thought it was a relaxing hobby? See what i seen floating and you wont do that again

Last edited by Jakethesnake; 07/31/17 01:59 AM.
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: Jakethesnake] #2180415
07/31/17 02:23 AM
07/31/17 02:23 AM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
Thanks for the input. Sounds like I can safely navigate close to the dam to begin the drift without hitting any rocks. I'm pretty up to speed on the water flow/safety thing. I was more or less just worried about navigating the terrain. I'm pretty excited to fish it. I'm probably going to take the kids up there Sat morning to check it out and try to catch some skips for cutbait.

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2180587
07/31/17 06:00 AM
07/31/17 06:00 AM
Meridianville
DryFire Offline
14 point
DryFire  Offline
14 point
Meridianville
I go all the time. Check the water release before going. Best times to catch is when they start releasing in the 30's. Last Saturday, I got there at 8am and didn't catch anything because the water release was around 12k. At noon, they kicked it up to 33k and the catch rate kicked into high gear.

Check the schedule here.

TVA for Guntersville

Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2180628
07/31/17 06:59 AM
07/31/17 06:59 AM
North Alabama
W
Wiley Coyote Offline
Freak of Nature
Wiley Coyote  Offline
Freak of Nature
W
North Alabama
Originally Posted By: BC
Sounds like I can safely navigate close to the dam

I got a ticket while actually tied to the dam back in the 70s so, yes, you can get as close as you want, or dare.

I firmly believe that a double gallows should be constructed on the East Lawn of The White House. Politicians who willfully and shamelessly violate their oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America should be swiftly tried and, upon conviction, publicly hanged at sunup the day after conviction. If multiple convicts are to be hanged they can choose with whom to share the gallows or names shall be drawn from the hangman's hat to be hanged 2 at a time.

NRA Life Member
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2180794
07/31/17 09:35 AM
07/31/17 09:35 AM
Over Yonder
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Over Yonder
Also be sure to have everything in your boat required - PFDs, potted meat and saltines, fire extinguisher, etc.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2181005
07/31/17 01:53 PM
07/31/17 01:53 PM
Morgan Co.
Dixiepatriot Offline
Freak of Nature
Dixiepatriot  Offline
Freak of Nature
Morgan Co.
So for those that know and fish Wheeler below Guntersville Dam, how close to the dam can I get in my glass boat?

I've been so close I was up inside the dam.

http://familyfoundationfund.org
Proud descendant of confederate soldiers.
Auburn elitist
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2181023
07/31/17 02:17 PM
07/31/17 02:17 PM
Alabama
Jakethesnake Offline
Jakethesnake  Offline
Alabama
We once went inside the turbine doors in a glass boat. Calm going in. An hour later it got rough in there. Had a hard time throttling out of the entrance. The water was really boiling up wards and flowwing backwards into the dam rear wall. Pushing us back inside. Everytime my partner accelerated the boat would cut off. We would be pushed back inside and fixin to slam into the rear concrete enclosure. I had to stand up at the rear of boat and push us off the rear wall. After 4 times of it cranking and stalling out at the front entrance and pushing us back to the wall, it finally cranked and acceleratted outside. The water inside had risen to the point our heads were hitting the ceiling. The bow of the boat was inches off the ceiling and water still climbing. We got out rite before it was too late. He thought i had been in there before so he wanted to try it. I thought he had been in there before. Turns out neither of us had been in there. I will never go in there. We didnt hear an alarm. We did see the water start to boil and over time the pool was rising. When we decided we better get out it was almost too late. Our heads were leaned over so we wouldnt hit the roof it had risen so much. Turned out it was my parteners brothers boat that had not been taken out in 3 years. I had no idea. Never trust anyone elses boat. I really thought i was gonna drown that morning. About 7 years ago

Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: Jakethesnake] #2181076
07/31/17 03:01 PM
07/31/17 03:01 PM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
Originally Posted By: Jakethesnake
We once went inside the turbine doors in a glass boat. Calm going in. An hour later it got rough in there. Had a hard time throttling out of the entrance. The water was really boiling up wards and flowwing backwards into the dam rear wall. Pushing us back inside. Everytime my partner accelerated the boat would cut off. We would be pushed back inside and fixin to slam into the rear concrete enclosure. I had to stand up at the rear of boat and push us off the rear wall. After 4 times of it cranking and stalling out at the front entrance and pushing us back to the wall, it finally cranked and acceleratted outside. The water inside had risen to the point our heads were hitting the ceiling. The bow of the boat was inches off the ceiling and water still climbing. We got out rite before it was too late. He thought i had been in there before so he wanted to try it. I thought he had been in there before. Turns out neither of us had been in there. I will never go in there. We didnt hear an alarm. We did see the water start to boil and over time the pool was rising. When we decided we better get out it was almost too late. Our heads were leaned over so we wouldnt hit the roof it had risen so much. Turned out it was my parteners brothers boat that had not been taken out in 3 years. I had no idea. Never trust anyone elses boat. I really thought i was gonna drown that morning. About 7 years ago

Man that's crazy lol. Glad that worked out for y'all. I won't be getting THAT close.

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2181101
07/31/17 03:37 PM
07/31/17 03:37 PM
North Alabama
W
Wiley Coyote Offline
Freak of Nature
Wiley Coyote  Offline
Freak of Nature
W
North Alabama
Back in the 60s my Dad and a couple of his cousins used to go under the dam in the turbine discharges to snag. Snagging was a very popular sport back then and some real big spoonbills, carp and drum were brought out from time to time. The TVA hydro operator would actually come out and yell down to anybody that was in thee that he was about to start generating, meaning that water would be released to the turbines and cause the violent boiling that Jake described. I clearly remember the tale as it was later told. My Dad wasn't with his cousins on this trip. Somehow they didn't hear the hydro operator and the turbines were fed with water. They were in a 12 or 14 foot flat bottom, wooden boat with an 18hp Johnson (my Dad's dream motor) and the boat was slammed against the roof of the turbine discharge. Seems like there were 3 in the boat but I don't remember the name of the 3rd guy (could have been Herbert or Pete as they were all about snagging and I remember going with my Dad and these guys when they snagged from the 'Wall'. ). John and Larry and the 3rd guy were thrown in the water, the boat sunk and Larry got a bunch of the big treble (snagging) hooks all in him. They all 3 floated downstream with other boaters trying to rescue them. Now, remember this was the early 60s and most boats were flat bottom, wooden boats with a max 30hp motor. I can't remember for sure but it seems like this was at night which made it worse. Anyway, they were finally rescued downriver and brought to the boat ramp on the south side. I don't think any of them ever went back under there again and I sure as Hell wouldn't.

NRA Life Member
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: Wiley Coyote] #2181122
07/31/17 03:54 PM
07/31/17 03:54 PM
UR 6
top cat Offline
Freak of Nature
top cat  Offline
Freak of Nature
UR 6
My dad worked for TVA and formed all the concrete to construct the last lock and welcome station.

LUCK:::; When presistence, dedication, perspiration and preparation meet up with opportunity!!!
- - - - - - - -A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have. Thomas Jeferson - - - - - - - -
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: Wiley Coyote] #2181211
07/31/17 05:36 PM
07/31/17 05:36 PM
Marshall County
PRB Offline
Aldeer Sponsor
PRB  Offline
Aldeer Sponsor
Marshall County
Originally Posted By: Jakethesnake

NEVER go under the dam with the turbines off and you won't have this issue.

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Sounds like I can safely navigate close to the dam

I got a ticket while actually tied to the dam back in the 70s so, yes, you can get as close as you want, or dare.

I got a ticket while under the dam. That damn life jacket was hot and I needed to cool off. That warden that pulled up to the dam, in his boat, and saw us under there, without our life jackets on, wasn't impressed. laugh

-------------------
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2181456
08/01/17 04:46 AM
08/01/17 04:46 AM
Meridianville
DryFire Offline
14 point
DryFire  Offline
14 point
Meridianville
I'm not brave enough to venture into the caves. I messed up once and got caught in the backdrift and slammed the nose of my boat into the dam.

Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2181956
08/01/17 03:12 PM
08/01/17 03:12 PM
Maysville, Alabama
S
SkipJack Offline
4 point
SkipJack  Offline
4 point
S
Maysville, Alabama
The dam will tear up your boat in a hurry up there if you decide to go under it. Personally the dam for me isn't the best place for big cats. Make sure to have your PFD on at all times, it can get dicey real quick.

Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: SkipJack] #2182256
08/01/17 11:04 PM
08/01/17 11:04 PM
Locust Fork, Alabama
BC Offline OP
Freak of Nature
BC  Offline OP
Freak of Nature
Locust Fork, Alabama
When I say get close to the dam I'm meaning driving up there about 20 yards from the wall and begin my drift down. I'm not crazy enough to drive up in it.

-- Archibald Rutledge
Re: Guntersville Dam Question [Re: BC] #2182279
08/02/17 01:37 AM
08/02/17 01:37 AM
UR 6
top cat Offline
Freak of Nature
top cat  Offline
Freak of Nature
UR 6
Make you some noodles to go along with drifting the bottom. You will catch fish and kids love it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.