</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Lowrance Ghost or 24v Ultrex
by bradbathome. 03/28/24 08:17 PM
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Mbrock. 03/28/24 08:56 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
18 registered members (JLavender, quailman, Okatuppa, KnightRyder, coosabuckhunter, Swamp Monkey, Etyson, quickshot, CAL, BC, Gobl4me, k bush, Jdkprp70, scrape, kodiak06, Gobble4me757, Turkey Petter, 1 invisible), 448 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2171200
07/20/17 07:22 AM
07/20/17 07:22 AM
Over Yonder
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Over Yonder

Several months ago I made a comment in another thread that, paraphrasing, if you put a group of people in a room who said they were all believers in X-something that before long you'd have groups saying they were more believers in X-something than others because the others didn't do this or that or whatever.

Stands true. Proven time and again with numerous things including politics, hunting and religion.

We're all Christians. But some not so much because of the music. Or because their High Church is too snooty. Or because you shoot a crossbow you're not a "real" hunter. Or whatever.

Divisiveness knows no bounds. I'm guilty of it, too.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2171217
07/20/17 07:36 AM
07/20/17 07:36 AM
Buc-ee’s Beach Express
leroycnbucks Offline
Freak of Nature
leroycnbucks  Offline
Freak of Nature
Buc-ee’s Beach Express
I go to the rock and roll service only during hunting season. It starts and finishes a half hour before the traditional service. That way I can get a jump on the afternoon hunt. Other than that the Jeremy Camp wannabes get on my nerves. Church ain't about them, the organist, the choir or the pastor.

Proud Army and ALNG veteran
God Bless America!
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2171221
07/20/17 07:43 AM
07/20/17 07:43 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
I want to say a few things and address some issues.

In Jewish temple worship the worshipers were not allowed to go out the same doors they came in. this was to emphasize that a change was to take place in the worshiper during every service.This was God's law.

I think it's important for us to be able to grow and change and not get stuck into the same old,same old, just because it feels comfortable to us. That's not to say however that all change is good,however we should look at new things with an open mind.What seems disrespectful to us may not be so to someone else at all,so we don't need to be quick to judge others by our own standards.

I don't think God cares one bit what kind of music we play or if we play any music at all,other than that we shouldn't be all puffed up about what we are doing being better than what someone else is doing. I think what matters is what is coming from our hearts while we are doing the worshiping.Are we giving God all we have? Would it be right to be able to play beautiful music but not play it to God? Are we loving God and loving others in our worship? Worship is also a lot more than just a song on Sunday morning. It's how we live our lives every day.

As far as songs,just to be honest,very few songs are actually scriptural.Most of them are traditional and folks love them because they grew up in that tradition of loving them.You don't know they are not scriptural because you don't read the Bible and most of your church services are based on tradition also.What do I mean? We sing about how sinful and wretched we are,but the Bible says we are born again,free from sin,and righteous.Sure we were sinners,but now we should be singing about how righteous we are.

Some of ya'll seem very stale and dried up,unwilling to change anything. I urge you to just think about this and pray about if this is how God wants you to be.I'm sure you may say that God never changes. That's OK because he is so big he encompasses all we could ever change to.He isn't stale,dry and boring either.Remember that when Jesus showed up on the scene ,he was the radical that all the religious leaders was calling a blasphemer.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/20/17 07:48 AM.
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: ridgestalker] #2171227
07/20/17 07:47 AM
07/20/17 07:47 AM
M
mman Offline
8 point
mman  Offline
8 point
M
Originally Posted By: ridgestalker
Originally Posted By: ford150man
Originally Posted By: 2Dogs
We just sing and make melody in our hearts.Since I never read about anything being played in NEW Testament worship so we don't do it.

As does Larkinsville Church of Christ, I'd say that's traditional.

As a former Church of Christ, I will say you've never read anything in the New Testament about using projectors with song words, microphones, etc...but you'll find those in nearly every Church of Christ building out there.

I'm pretty sure those things didnt exist 2,000 years ago but the instrument did.Folks can do what ever they want it has no effect on me or mine. I just want to have Bible for what me and my family do in worship.God is not my pal and church service isn't a party to me.

Exactly. Most folks can't discern the difference between carrying out a command and adding to a command.

Doesn't matter what man wants. Under the new law, God has said to sing. If you use a song book or electricity or what ever, you still have one type of music, singing. When you add mechanical instruments, you have 2 types of music, one authorized, one un-authorized.

A cappella basically means "in the manner of the church or chapel", and for good reason. Mechanical instruments, though accessible to the early church, were not used by them, hence the phrase, a cappella. Mechanical instruments of music were added some 7 centuries later. They caused division when they were added, and obviously, they are still causing division today.

God said that our worship MUST be in truth (Jn 4:23-24). God's word it truth (Jn 17:17). Therefore, to worship in truth requires instruction from God. It must be pointed out, truth comes from what God said, not what He didn't say. The same is truth of faith (Rom 10:17). You cannot have faith in what God has NOT said. Therefore, you cannot use mechanical instruments in faith and according to truth.

The only way we can know what God wants in our worship today is for Him to tell us. I know this is contrary to many people's belief. Worship is too important for me to base it on what I like or don't like. God only accepts worship according to truth, so I'm going to do everything in my power to worship according to what He has said and according to the approved examples given in the new covenant.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2171241
07/20/17 08:02 AM
07/20/17 08:02 AM
Northport, AL
GomerPyle Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
GomerPyle  Offline
Impatient Stinky Britches Wearin’ Off-Roadin’ Guru
Northport, AL
in 2 Timothy 3, Paul writes:

"15 and how from infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures, which are able to make you wise for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus. 16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."

To me, that seems to say that OT teachings and doctrine are still suitable. There are also verses in Revelation that specifically mention praising God in song with instruments (harps, I think).

If the OT weren't suitable to use as teaching examples, I doubt Good would have included it.

There are 3 certainties in an uncertain world:

1. All Politicians Are Liars
2. All Gun Laws Are an Infringement
3. Taxation Is Theft
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: mman] #2171243
07/20/17 08:04 AM
07/20/17 08:04 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: mman
We just sing and make melody in our hearts.Since I never read about anything being played in NEW Testament worship so we don't do it.

As a former Church of Christ, I will say you've never read anything in the New Testament about using projectors with song words, microphones, etc...but you'll find those in nearly every Church of Christ building out there.

I'm pretty sure those things didnt exist 2,000 years ago but the instrument did.Folks can do what ever they want it has no effect on me or mine. I just want to have Bible for what me and my family do in worship.God is not my pal and church service isn't a party to me.

Exactly. Most folks can't discern the difference between carrying out a command and adding to a command.

Doesn't matter what man wants. Under the new law, God has said to sing. If you use a song book or electricity or what ever, you still have one type of music, singing. When you add mechanical instruments, you have 2 types of music, one authorized, one un-authorized.

A cappella basically means "in the manner of the church or chapel", and for good reason. Mechanical instruments, though accessible to the early church, were not used by them, hence the phrase, a cappella. Mechanical instruments of music were added some 7 centuries later. They caused division when they were added, and obviously, they are still causing division today.

God said that our worship MUST be in truth (Jn 4:23-24). God's word it truth (Jn 17:17). Therefore, to worship in truth requires instruction from God. It must be pointed out, truth comes from what God said, not what He didn't say. The same is truth of faith (Rom 10:17). You cannot have faith in what God has NOT said. Therefore, you cannot use mechanical instruments in faith and according to truth.

The only way we can know what God wants in our worship today is for Him to tell us. I know this is contrary to many people's belief. Worship is too important for me to base it on what I like or don't like. God only accepts worship according to truth, so I'm going to do everything in my power to worship according to what He has said and according to the approved examples given in the new covenant.

Brother,you are so bound up in the chains of religious mumbo jumbo,it's just pitiful. Everything you just said is nothing but the religion that your denomination misinterpretations from scriptures that aren't even related to the subject.

Trying to say that God doesn't accept music is the biggest bunch of religious crap being preached.I don't care if you don't play music in worship.I think God will give you that freedom if that's what you want,but I know he likes it because he has it in Heaven.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: mman] #2171246
07/20/17 08:05 AM
07/20/17 08:05 AM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL

Not everything in the old testament was the "old law" that was rendered null and void with Christ's death. In fact, much of it was not. If everything in the old testament was the "old law" and irrelevant, why was the old testament included in the Bible?

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: R_H_Clark] #2171248
07/20/17 08:06 AM
07/20/17 08:06 AM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

Brother,you are so bound up in the chains of religious mumbo jumbo,it's just pitiful. Everything you just said is nothing but the religion that your denomination misinterpretations from scriptures that aren't even related to the subject.

Trying to say that God doesn't accept music is the biggest bunch of religious crap being preached.I don't care if you don't play music in worship.I think God will give you that freedom if that's what you want,but I know he likes it because he has it in Heaven.

Revelations mentions there being harps in Heaven, 3 times. I would agree that if stringed instruments weren't pleasing in worship to God, he wouldn't have them in Heaven.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2171258
07/20/17 08:21 AM
07/20/17 08:21 AM
Selma
odocoileus Offline
14 point
odocoileus  Offline
14 point
Selma
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagle's wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: odocoileus] #2171269
07/20/17 08:27 AM
07/20/17 08:27 AM
B'ham
Goatkiller Offline
14 point
Goatkiller  Offline
14 point
B'ham
I like to picture Jesus in a tuxedo T-shirt because it says I want to be formal, but I'm here to party.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: odocoileus] #2171323
07/20/17 09:11 AM
07/20/17 09:11 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: odocoileus
I like to think of Jesus like with giant eagle's wings, and singin' lead vocals for Lynyrd Skynyrd with like an angel band and I'm in the front row and I'm hammered drunk!

I'm sure you mean drunk in the Spirit. It's better anyway,no hangover.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: odocoileus] #2171333
07/20/17 09:19 AM
07/20/17 09:19 AM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL

Chip, you may be old but I'll whip your azz!!!

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: R_H_Clark] #2171493
07/20/17 11:58 AM
07/20/17 11:58 AM
Selma
odocoileus Offline
14 point
odocoileus  Offline
14 point
Selma

Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

I'm sure you mean drunk in the Spirit. It's better anyway,no hangover.

Cal Naughton Jr. said it, not me.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: SouthBamaSlayer] #2171534
07/20/17 12:48 PM
07/20/17 12:48 PM
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer

Not everything in the old testament was the "old law" that was rendered null and void with Christ's death. In fact, much of it was not. If everything in the old testament was the "old law" and irrelevant, why was the old testament included in the Bible?

The old testament was there for our learning. How else would we know why Christ came and was a sacrifice for us.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: 300gr] #2171612
07/20/17 02:04 PM
07/20/17 02:04 PM
Over Yonder
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Over Yonder

Been thinking about this a lot since this thread got started and reading all the various responses, and replying myself.

The greatest thing is God loves us all and gives us a chance to figure out things. While we're doing that, He still loves us.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2171661
07/20/17 02:47 PM
07/20/17 02:47 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Actually, I do NOT believe the church service is for non-believers. It is for worship and edifying of the saints (already saved). The biggest issue in today's church is a complete lack of theology, and I concluded that one reason for that is the eisegesis of every dadgum sermon to be "evangelical". (Eisegesis is the process of interpreting a text or portion of text in such a way that the process introduces one's own presuppositions, agendas, or biases into and onto the text. This is commonly referred to as reading into the text. And yes, that includes trying to make it "save" someone.) It is the same reason I am not a fan of "invitations" tagged to the end of every sermon. The preacher is not a salesman, he has ZERO responsibility in a lost man becoming saved. The ONLY job the preacher has (and you too) is to correctly teach the whole of scripture, in context, true to the overall meta-narrative, and then let the Holy Spirit move as He wills (and that may be growing the already saved, convicting the lost man, drawing a lost woman to Him, etc). The point of church is NOT to preach to lost people. Also not a fan of box presentations (ie: crusades, etc). When believers are equipped (which should be happening during Sunday school and church services), they will be evangelizing in their sphere of life OUTSIDE the church. Don't get me wrong, I want unbelievers there, and I'm ecstatic if they are saved during our service, but "the church" (already saved) gathers together for worship and instruction. Many/most passages, when taught in proper context, don't necessarily have ANY soteriological impact at all, so the preacher/teacher is warping the passage if he tries to make it so. I used to ask my class: "I regularly hear y'all say you're inviting a lost friend to church in hopes they'll get saved. What have YOU been doing with the established relationship you have with that person????" If your preacher is doing what the Lord has CALLED and EQUIPPED him to do, he'll start in V1 Chapter 1 of any book this Sunday, preach it verse by verse even if it takes a whole year, and many of those sermons won't be applicable to a lost man. That's how it's done!

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2171926
07/20/17 05:37 PM
07/20/17 05:37 PM
Central AL
March15 Offline
10 point
March15  Offline
10 point
Central AL
I like a little of both. Serious question for the COC members here, do you listen to the radio in your truck? Do you listen to Christian music anywhere other than church? If so, is it acapella?

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: ikillbux] #2171928
07/20/17 05:41 PM
07/20/17 05:41 PM
dothan
eskimo270 Offline
10 point
eskimo270  Offline
10 point
dothan

Originally Posted By: ikillbux
Actually, I do NOT believe the church service is for non-believers. It is for worship and edifying of the saints (already saved). The biggest issue in today's church is a complete lack of theology, and I concluded that one reason for that is the eisegesis of every dadgum sermon to be "evangelical". (Eisegesis is the process of interpreting a text or portion of text in such a way that the process introduces one's own presuppositions, agendas, or biases into and onto the text. This is commonly referred to as reading into the text. And yes, that includes trying to make it "save" someone.) It is the same reason I am not a fan of "invitations" tagged to the end of every sermon. The preacher is not a salesman, he has ZERO responsibility in a lost man becoming saved. The ONLY job the preacher has (and you too) is to correctly teach the whole of scripture, in context, true to the overall meta-narrative, and then let the Holy Spirit move as He wills (and that may be growing the already saved, convicting the lost man, drawing a lost woman to Him, etc). The point of church is NOT to preach to lost people. Also not a fan of box presentations (ie: crusades, etc). When believers are equipped (which should be happening during Sunday school and church services), they will be evangelizing in their sphere of life OUTSIDE the church. Don't get me wrong, I want unbelievers there, and I'm ecstatic if they are saved during our service, but "the church" (already saved) gathers together for worship and instruction. Many/most passages, when taught in proper context, don't necessarily have ANY soteriological impact at all, so the preacher/teacher is warping the passage if he tries to make it so. I used to ask my class: "I regularly hear y'all say you're inviting a lost friend to church in hopes they'll get saved. What have YOU been doing with the established relationship you have with that person????" If your preacher is doing what the Lord has CALLED and EQUIPPED him to do, he'll start in V1 Chapter 1 of any book this Sunday, preach it verse by verse even if it takes a whole year, and many of those sermons won't be applicable to a lost man. That's how it's done!
so you prefer traditional? Or conventional? Or accupella?

Super Predator
Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: eskimo270] #2171943
07/20/17 06:15 PM
07/20/17 06:15 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: eskimo270

Originally Posted By: ikillbux
so you prefer traditional? Or conventional? Or accupella?

Probably won't get around to the singing until Psalms.That will be two weeks from next Sunday.

Re: Contemporary vs. Traditional [Re: snakebit] #2171993
07/21/17 01:23 AM
07/21/17 01:23 AM
Smith Lake
300Ruger Offline
10 point
300Ruger  Offline
10 point
Smith Lake
I'm not sure how anyone can be "fisher's of men" with no bait on the hook. Old country churches like I grew up in have all but died out because the younger folks are numb from boredom when they go. Not saying that's anyone's fault - just a factual observation.

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.