</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mathews lift 29.5
by Bows4evr. 04/18/24 09:53 PM
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
2011 Toyota RAV4
by jsubrett6. 04/16/24 10:00 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by Jdkprp70. 04/18/24 09:55 PM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by jdhunter2011. 04/17/24 11:42 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (MoeBuck, Holcomb, AU coonhunter, Gut Pile 32, 1 invisible), 636 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: Hogwild] #2050789
03/07/17 06:58 PM
03/07/17 06:58 PM
PNW
kodiak06 Offline
Booner
kodiak06  Offline
Booner
PNW
We did a lot of cross country type flying when I was stationed down there. You guys would be surprised how many feeders and how much corn was on the ground before Bama allowed it.

Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: jawbone] #2050813
03/07/17 08:48 PM
03/07/17 08:48 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: jawbone
Originally Posted By: BhamFred
Originally Posted By: blumsden
I don't understand the confusion about Supplemental Feed. Put it where you don't hunt, and feed the deer. That's really pretty simple.

because folks want to take advantage of the deer going to the "supplemental feed"...making it into "bait".

Exactly, no one wants to hunt where the deer aren't. They are going to go where the deer are.

The problem with that statement is NOBODY wants to HUNT and find where the deer are and go to where the deer are, they want to bait them to where they want them to be to make it easier to kill them.
It's the whole hunt, find, read sign and plan a strategy to kill a deer that most "hunters" can't, won't or refuse to do. They would much rather bait up a place they can easily get to and kill a deer, pat themselves on the back, brag around the water cooler and hurry to watch some football game instead of, dare I say it, hunt.
Baiting just needs to be legal cause hunting is just too incredibly hard and boring if I have to do all that other stuff! Jeesh!!

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: Fun4all] #2050856
03/08/17 02:08 AM
03/08/17 02:08 AM
M
mman Offline
8 point
mman  Offline
8 point
M
Originally Posted By: Fun4all
I don't understand the confusion about Supplemental Feed. Put it where you don't hunt, and feed the deer. That's really pretty simple.

because folks want to take advantage of the deer going to the "supplemental feed"...making it into "bait".

Exactly, no one wants to hunt where the deer aren't. They are going to go where the deer are.

The problem with that statement is NOBODY wants to HUNT and find where the deer are and go to where the deer are, they want to bait them to where they want them to be to make it easier to kill them.
It's the whole hunt, find, read sign and plan a strategy to kill a deer that most "hunters" can't, won't or refuse to do. They would much rather bait up a place they can easily get to and kill a deer, pat themselves on the back, brag around the water cooler and hurry to watch some football game instead of, dare I say it, hunt.
Baiting just needs to be legal cause hunting is just too incredibly hard and boring if I have to do all that other stuff! Jeesh!!

So, when you search and "find" the deer and they are on your neighbor's property because he is feeding them, then what do you do?

Hunting over bait will not be the most effective way to kill a mature buck, especially on land that receives any amount of pressure, IMO. Sure, it will probably happen but most of the mature bucks will still require scouting, skill and/or luck to kill them.

Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: DaBreeze] #2051084
03/08/17 06:03 AM
03/08/17 06:03 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL
Originally Posted By: DaBreeze

Originally Posted By: MS_Hunter
More and more clubs are going to baiting "because it's legal".

Our club is probably going to prohibit all baiting.

We already have...

I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There�s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts. � Ronald Reagan
Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: mman] #2051109
03/08/17 06:27 AM
03/08/17 06:27 AM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: mman

So, when you search and "find" the deer and they are on your neighbor's property because he is feeding them, then what do you do?

I guess one could sit on the property line and be frustrated or they could hunt somewhere else. If the neighbor is not hunting over the "feed" then there is not a thing you can do. If the neighbor is illegally poaching deer over the bait then one should let the GW know and move on.

What happens if the neighbor has a 500 acre corn field with hardwoods and brushy creek bottoms and a person has 500 acres of 6 year old pine trees, does one bait their place up because they are not seeing any deer or do they move on to find something they would rather hunt?

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: Recurve] #2051140
03/08/17 06:49 AM
03/08/17 06:49 AM
Molino Florida
D
DaBreeze Offline OP
4 point
DaBreeze  Offline OP
4 point
D
Molino Florida
Originally Posted By: Recurve

We already have...

Reason I asked the question, is Ima thinking were are going to have a bunch of openings once the masterbaiters see the new club rules around mid April

Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: DaBreeze] #2051272
03/08/17 08:39 AM
03/08/17 08:39 AM
Arab/Stevenson AL
Recurve Offline
10 point
Recurve  Offline
10 point
Arab/Stevenson AL
Originally Posted By: Recurve

We already have...

Reason I asked the question, is Ima thinking were are going to have a bunch of openings once the masterbaiters see the new club rules around mid April

I doubt we will. Most of our 8 man group are traditional bow hunters so it won't change for them.

I hope we have once again reminded people that man is not free unless government is limited. There�s a clear cause and effect here that is as neat and predictable as a law of physics: as government expands, liberty contracts. � Ronald Reagan
Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: jawbone] #2052375
03/09/17 09:47 AM
03/09/17 09:47 AM
Montgomery
WmHunter Offline
14 point
WmHunter  Offline
14 point
Montgomery

Exactly, no one wants to hunt where the deer aren't. They are going to go where the deer are. For some reason those making the rules have decided to make it as complicated and confusing as they can. It should be simple, corn and other feed, illegal or legal? Period. No more complicated than that.

yep.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

" Chuck Sykes is a dictator control freak like Vladimir Putin " WmHunter

Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: DaBreeze] #2053007
03/09/17 08:16 PM
03/09/17 08:16 PM
Pensacola, FL
J
JUSTIN37HUNT Offline
6 point
JUSTIN37HUNT  Offline
6 point
J
Pensacola, FL
We have divided up our lease into a non-corn side and a corn side

Even with 24 members we rarely have a single spot marked on the map signifying corn is out.

With all that said, we may try to add a few spots next season. We need to try to improve our foodplots and this past season we didn't do any summer plots, but we had a few areas on our lease that I personally witnessed multiple deer leaving our property heading to the neighbors on multiple occasions.

Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: Fuzzy_Bunny] #2054069
03/10/17 10:15 PM
03/10/17 10:15 PM
dothan
eskimo270 Offline
10 point
eskimo270  Offline
10 point
dothan

Originally Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny
There are not many plots that you can plant that will provide food 365, but a feeder can always be kept full, and doesn't suffer from drought, flood, army worms, etc...

But they can't get away from the wrath of a squirrel

Super Predator
Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: eskimo270] #2055953
03/13/17 03:33 AM
03/13/17 03:33 AM
Pine Hill, Al
T
Todd1700 Offline
12 point
Todd1700  Offline
12 point
T
Pine Hill, Al
Quote:

Well let me ask you this. How many days do you think hunters scout a green patch before their woodsmanship skills collect enough trail sign data to indicate they need to climb in the shooting house that has been overlooking it all along? LOL!

If corn hunting is lazy slob hunting then so is green patch hunting. If corn feeders are unethical to hunt over then so is a green patch. They should either both be legal or both be illegal because there is no ethical or moral difference. And it sure as hell doesn't require any more skill to do one vs the other.

Last edited by Todd1700; 03/13/17 03:34 AM.

The best index to a person’s character is (a) how he treats people who can’t do him any good, and (b) how he treats people who can’t fight back.
- Abigail van Buren
Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: Todd1700] #2055990
03/13/17 04:17 AM
03/13/17 04:17 AM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
Originally Posted By: Todd1700
Quote:

Well let me ask you this. How many days do you think hunters scout a green patch before their woodsmanship skills collect enough trail sign data to indicate they need to climb in the shooting house that has been overlooking it all along? LOL!

If corn hunting is lazy slob hunting then so is green patch hunting. If corn feeders are unethical to hunt over then so is a green patch. They should either both be legal or both be illegal because there is no ethical or moral difference. And it sure as hell doesn't require any more skill to do one vs the other.

Yes, both are for lazy hunters, of which I have become in my old age, where I film deer more than I shoot them. A food plot however, has more benefit to the deer and other wildlife, than a pile of corn. Plots are in line with being a wildlife manager. Corn is feeding wildlife junk food. It tastes good, but gives them no nutritional benefit.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: Fun4all] #2056148
03/13/17 07:06 AM
03/13/17 07:06 AM
Texas
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
spike
Deerhunter61  Offline
spike
D
Texas

I suggest everybody hunt public land for 10 - 15 years and either learn how to hunt or just move on to the next ego sport du jour.

You obviously haven't hunted public land in Texas...lol.

After hunting public land in Texas for 8-10 years Texas leased the lumber co. land and then for $35 gave hunters maps to all the land...what I once hunted for free and few people knew about all of a sudden thousands and thousands of people knew about it. I trudged out opening weekend got in my stand and 30 minutes later had 4 rounds fly over my head...climbed down and sat at the base of my stand till about 11:00 at which time I went and packed up and left. There were just too many idiots out there and things haven't changed much. Also in Texas over 90-95% of the land is private so the idea of hunting in what I'd call the traditional way is pretty much impossible unless you own a lot of land.

Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: DaBreeze] #2056151
03/13/17 07:11 AM
03/13/17 07:11 AM
Texas
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
spike
Deerhunter61  Offline
spike
D
Texas
I've read where people are condemning feeding corn and praising food plots, I will agree that food plots are better for deer, but BOTH are baiting deer. I support whatever is legal in the state/s you choose to hunt.

Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: Deerhunter61] #2056178
03/13/17 07:38 AM
03/13/17 07:38 AM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

I suggest everybody hunt public land for 10 - 15 years and either learn how to hunt or just move on to the next ego sport du jour.

After hunting public land in Texas for 8-10 years Texas leased the lumber co. land and then for $35 gave hunters maps to all the land...what I once hunted for free and few people knew about all of a sudden thousands and thousands of people knew about it. I trudged out opening weekend got in my stand and 30 minutes later had 4 rounds fly over my head...climbed down and sat at the base of my stand till about 11:00 at which time I went and packed up and left. There were just too many idiots out there and things haven't changed much. Also in Texas over 90-95% of the land is private so the idea of hunting in what I'd call the traditional way is pretty much impossible unless you own a lot of land.

The point you missed was that the PRIVATE land "hunters" have it significantly better on the average than the public land hunters and yet the PRIVATE land "hunters" do nothing but complain and whine about finding more ways to make it easier for them to kill a deer (because it's never about the "hunt", just the kill) and brag about it around the water cooler. Most, and that does not mean all, but I would say the majority of private land "Hunters" want easy instead of hunting.

Just my humble opinion of what I read and hear.

Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: DaBreeze] #2056188
03/13/17 07:44 AM
03/13/17 07:44 AM
Montgomery, AL
jbc Offline
14 point
jbc  Offline
14 point
Montgomery, AL
baiting IN food plots.

Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: Fun4all] #2056191
03/13/17 07:47 AM
03/13/17 07:47 AM
Texas
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
spike
Deerhunter61  Offline
spike
D
Texas
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

The point you missed was that the PRIVATE land "hunters" have it significantly better on the average than the public land hunters and yet the PRIVATE land "hunters" do nothing but complain and whine about finding more ways to make it easier for them to kill a deer (because it's never about the "hunt", just the kill) and brag about it around the water cooler. Most, and that does not mean all, but I would say the majority of private land "Hunters" want easy instead of hunting.

Just my humble opinion of what I read and hear.

I don't disagree but in Texas hunting feeders are simply an acceptable way to "hunt". It's been going on so long that it no longer has the stigma it once had. Also if you are on a "lease" which I am, then it's simply a lot safer to stand hunt rather than walk and stalk. I wish I owned land and enough of it to hunt in the old fashioned way but then again with age comes limits due to health and so you do what you need to do to continue to participate.

As for the state charging hunters to feed corn...crazy!

Last edited by Deerhunter61; 03/13/17 07:48 AM.
Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: DaBreeze] #2056208
03/13/17 08:00 AM
03/13/17 08:00 AM
Auburn, AL
MoonDog Offline
4 point
MoonDog  Offline
4 point
Auburn, AL
I really wish this topic would go away. I'm for feeding (baiting) and don't really care what others do. I feed pretty much year round, because that's what I like to do and honestly have more fun with the pics I get than shooting a deer. However, if that's not what someone else wants to do, then so be it. I love to crappie fish and I use a 1/16th jig head and jigs...but some people like to fish with minnows...great for them. Enforce the bag limits, poaching, night hunting and all the other crap...but this baiting thing needs to become a non-issue. I will keeping feeding the animals regardless and keep on fishing with my jigs. And yes...a dang green field is the same thing as a pile of corn, sweet feed, milo...etc. It's how someone articulates the two that differentiates them. May as well outlaw hunting over white oaks, persimmon tress, honeysuckle vines...etc if one thinks that hunting over those is any different than hunting over a pile of corn.

Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: MoonDog] #2056270
03/13/17 08:43 AM
03/13/17 08:43 AM
Chilton County
M
MarksOutdoors Offline
Booner
MarksOutdoors  Offline
Booner
M
Chilton County
Originally Posted By: MoonDog
I love to crappie fish and I use a 1/16th jig head and jigs...but some people like to fish with minnows...great for them.

Dude, you need to stop baiting those crappie with a jig like that. You should just use a treble hook and snag those jokers. grin

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton
Re: Baiting Vs. Food Plots [Re: MarksOutdoors] #2056314
03/13/17 09:21 AM
03/13/17 09:21 AM
M
mman Offline
8 point
mman  Offline
8 point
M
Originally Posted By: MarksOutdoors
Originally Posted By: MoonDog
I love to crappie fish and I use a 1/16th jig head and jigs...but some people like to fish with minnows...great for them.

Dude, you need to stop baiting those crappie with a jig like that. You should just use a treble hook and snag those jokers. grin

Dynamite or an old crank telephone is much more effective smile

Actually, back to the subject, we all have various skills, abilities and knowledge. We challenge ourselves in various ways. We derive our own satisfaction by hunting in a way that suits us best. One size does not fit all. If sitting on a greenfield is your thing, then sit on a greenfield. Just don't think that everyone should hunt over a greenfield or else they are somehow inferior.

If baiting becomes legal, and you want to bait, then bait. If you don't, then don't. If you want to make arrowheads out of flint and build your own bow and string, go for it. We do lots of things to "improve" our odds like trying to eliminate our scent, or using scents, hunting the wind, using tree stands, camo clothing, hunting food sources, hunting trails, or using optics and rangefinders and so on.

At times, we increase our difficulty. We may hunt with a long bow when we could use a crossbow. We hunt with a compound bow when we could hunt with a muzzleloader or rifle, we may hunt thick woods or hard to reach places rather than open or easily accessible places, we may pass on younger deer and focus on mature deer, and so on.

I really don't see what the big deal is all about. Those that say, we don't need bait to kill a deer, well, you don't need a rifle either. You don't need crossbows or compounds for that matter. You don't need tree stands and you don't need camo. If you are looking for a challenge, then go to the woods naked and come out with a deer.

We each will find what works for us. What satisfies you, won't satisfy everyone. Mature deer didn't become mature by being stupid. It won't take them long to adapt and be just as hard to kill. Just like a greenfield, if you shoot everything that walks out on it, then it won't be long until it is rarely, if ever, visited during the daytime hours.

I just hope that if anything is passed, it is unambiguous.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.