</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
2011 Toyota RAV4
by jsubrett6. 04/16/24 10:00 PM
Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters Edition
by Mbrock. 04/16/24 09:30 PM
44 Mag Ammo
by wew3006. 04/16/24 02:43 PM
Chevrolet Silverado - Low Miles
by Gulfcoast. 04/16/24 12:11 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Windy.com
by globe. 04/18/24 11:31 AM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by jdhunter2011. 04/17/24 11:42 AM
Corn planting need Cnc advise
by cartervj. 04/11/24 05:24 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (4Tigers, sportrep, AUtgr, Lil_Fella, Skillet, JCL, wareagul, Hunting15, Grokamole, AU coonhunter, HollerHunter, Okalona, Andalusia, Blessed, MS_Hunter, alhawk, BPI, foldemup, goodman_hunter, Mbrock, BamaGuitarDude, Uokman2014, Richard Cranium, 7PTSPREAD, turfarmer, ParrotHead89, zgobbler5, MGrubber, PourIron12, Whild_Bill, Justice, WINMAG300, Jmfire722, NoHuntin, hoggin, jawbone, Tree Dweller, Paint Rock 00, nate409, BrentsFX4, bamapanic, CatfishJunkie, SouthBamaSlayer, Ryano, hosscat, Shane99, GomerPyle, IMISSALDEER, Shaneomac2, bradbathome, CarbonClimber1, rrice0725, Sself161, HBWALKER14, Joe4majors, Fishduck, BCLC, Turberville, Floorman1, klay, Sgiles, BC, trlrdrdave, Ridge Life, cdaddy14, Cuz-Pat, Parker243, Dixiepatriot, Scout1621, jaredhunts, hallb, rickyh_2, doc bar, sj22, Solothurn, Turkeyneck78, Buckshot77, WhoMe, Davyalabama, taggedout, thayerp81, Buckwheat, Fullthrottle, Turkey, Narrow Gap, Ol’Tom, beRAD, jake44, Frogeye, booner, Okatuppa, lectrode, lefthorn, mossyback, GrandSlam, jmj120, dwaugh, abolt300, Brownitsdown, cullbuck, USeeMSpurs, Driveby, Ray_Coon, dagwood, Quack Quack Bang, JA, hippi, CNC, outdoorguy88, marlin78, dirtwrk, IDOT, Chiller, NVM1031, MarkCollin, Turkey Petter, Noler_Swamp, Lonster, 11 invisible), 616 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: straycat] #2001563
01/23/17 01:02 PM
01/23/17 01:02 PM
Hoover, AL, USA
woodswalker Offline
4 point
woodswalker  Offline
4 point
Hoover, AL, USA
I was a Christian for many decades but no longer believe and can probably be considered an Agnostic. It was my parents, not the Church, who taught me right from wrong. But, the Church tried it's best to make me feel guilty about normal thoughts, feelings, and actions. I really caught it during my divorce. I learned that Christians can be some of the most judgmental and unforgiving people in the world.

I consider myself to be amoral, meaning being neither moral nor immoral. I would not steal from you and would probably risk my life to save your children from danger. But that comes from my internal code of ethics and not from a moral code. I have no problem with people drinking, gambling, and doing whatever as long as they don't break the law nor hurt others.

Many of you here appear to be devout Christians and more power to you. I've walked in those shoes and can teach a Sunday School lesson or Bible Study with the best of you. So, I really do understand you, way more than you will ever understand someone like me. I no longer believe the Bible so throwing verses at me and others like me has absolutely no effect.

Listen closely, you need to stop trying to work your way into Heaven. You need to study the Word for yourself and start paying attention to your own sinful actions/thoughts instead of worrying what your brother or sister is doing wrong. This whole discussion has the stench of the Pharisees. Look at Matthew 23:27 and examine your own heart before trying to bend others to your ideas of morality.

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it." -- Henry Thoreau
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: straycat] #2001564
01/23/17 01:03 PM
01/23/17 01:03 PM
Chilton County
M
MarksOutdoors Offline
Booner
MarksOutdoors  Offline
Booner
M
Chilton County
Ravi Zacharias had a great illustration. He was challenged by a young college student once about moral absolutes. The college student, of course, argued that there are no moral absolutes.

Zacharias asked him if it would be OK to chop a newborn baby in half with a machete? The student replied that he wouldn't like it but there is no universal, absolute law. It is just a "created" law.

Zacharias replied, "You had better find out what it is that makes you feel like you wouldn't like it".

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."
-G. K. Chesterton
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: straycat] #2001597
01/23/17 01:37 PM
01/23/17 01:37 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Two short, simple illustrations...

Would your wife leave you for cheating on her? Well what if she knew what you THOUGHT most days? You're a nasty dude, not because you've actually cheated on your wife, but because the propensity to have those disgusting thoughts exists within you.

Laws and rules are essentially the cage around the lion. The lion is still there, and can even inflict lethal damage, but those cage bars of laws and rules greatly prevent full-on ravenous chaos.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: woodswalker] #2001599
01/23/17 01:41 PM
01/23/17 01:41 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted By: woodswalker
I was a Christian for many decades but no longer believe and can probably be considered an Agnostic. It was my parents, not the Church, who taught me right from wrong. But, the Church tried it's best to make me feel guilty about normal thoughts, feelings, and actions. I really caught it during my divorce. I learned that Christians can be some of the most judgmental and unforgiving people in the world.

I consider myself to be amoral, meaning being neither moral nor immoral. I would not steal from you and would probably risk my life to save your children from danger. But that comes from my internal code of ethics and not from a moral code. I have no problem with people drinking, gambling, and doing whatever as long as they don't break the law nor hurt others.

Many of you here appear to be devout Christians and more power to you. I've walked in those shoes and can teach a Sunday School lesson or Bible Study with the best of you. So, I really do understand you, way more than you will ever understand someone like me. I no longer believe the Bible so throwing verses at me and others like me has absolutely no effect.

Listen closely, you need to stop trying to work your way into Heaven. You need to study the Word for yourself and start paying attention to your own sinful actions/thoughts instead of worrying what your brother or sister is doing wrong. This whole discussion has the stench of the Pharisees. Look at Matthew 23:27 and examine your own heart before trying to bend others to your ideas of morality.

You are gonna make a fine Reformed believer!! Welcome to the fold! thumbup grin

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: straycat] #2001896
01/23/17 04:28 PM
01/23/17 04:28 PM
Mobile, AL
P
Pwyse Offline
10 point
Pwyse  Offline
10 point
P
Mobile, AL
I believe I was one of the ones that said "you can't legislate morality" in a previous post. What I meant when I said it was simply that laws don't keep most people from doing immoral things. More gun laws won't stop crime. Crime is already illegal. That kinda thing ya know what Im saying?

I will say that I am a devout Christian. That doesn't mean that I'm sinless, nor does it mean that I look down on non Christians. All it means is that I'm a filthy wicked sinner by God's standards and, without his grace and forgiveness I would spend eternity in hell.

Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: straycat] #2001933
01/23/17 04:38 PM
01/23/17 04:38 PM
Alabama
W
whack-n-stack Offline
Booner
whack-n-stack  Offline
Booner
W
Alabama
You might not be able to legislate it, but you can damn sure enforce your version of it if you've got enough power from the law of the land.

And now we get to the separation of church and state...

Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: mike35549] #2001943
01/23/17 04:40 PM
01/23/17 04:40 PM
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
Originally Posted By: mike35549
I try to live the life as a good Christian as best as I can but I fall short just like everyone else. But I would not want to live in a country where laws were created that would punish people based on what is considered moral by biblical standards.
Put people in jail or what ever the punishment would be for the following offenses.

Divorce
Taking the lords name in vain
Fornification
Adultery
Not treating your wife or husbands as the bible says you should.
Greed
Gluttony
Lust
Envy
Sloth
Wrath
Pride
If you break any of the 10 commandments.
Everybody on this board would have been or be in jail. If everything that was immoral according to the bible was illegal. Very few people would want to live in a place where you actually tried to legislate morality.

Actually the commandment about keeping the sabbath does not apply

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: woodswalker] #2001998
01/23/17 04:58 PM
01/23/17 04:58 PM
northport
deadeye48 Offline
Booner
deadeye48  Offline
Booner
northport

Originally Posted By: woodswalker

Walker I actually agree with you on a lot of your thoughts and would like to sit and talk with you sometime if you wouldn't mind talking with a man of just about the same thinking as yours

When I need expert advice I tend to talk to myself
The older I get the better I used to be
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: straycat] #2002233
01/23/17 06:43 PM
01/23/17 06:43 PM
Central Alabama
Y
Yelp softly Offline
10 point
Yelp softly  Offline
10 point
Y
Central Alabama
Interesting discussion. I'm not sure where I fall. I think there's a danger in trying to legislate your idea of morality because you don't always know who's going to be running things in the future. I think Muslims trying to institute their version of morality with Sharia law feel they're right to do so. When your idea of morality hinges solely on religious teachings, doesn't that leave the door open to acknowledge a different morality based on other religions? In this regard, I think our civil laws should be constructed independent of religion so all races, religions, and ethnicities can live under the same code. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

"When there was no fowl, we ate crawdad, when there was no crawdad, we ate sand."

"YOU ATE SAND!" - Raising Arizona
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: Yelp softly] #2002237
01/23/17 06:48 PM
01/23/17 06:48 PM
Alabama
W
whack-n-stack Offline
Booner
whack-n-stack  Offline
Booner
W
Alabama
Originally Posted By: Yelp softly
Interesting discussion. I'm not sure where I fall. I think there's a danger in trying to legislate your idea of morality because you don't always know who's going to be running things in the future. I think Muslims trying to institute their version of morality with Sharia law feel they're right to do so. When your idea of morality hinges solely on religious teachings, doesn't that leave the door open to acknowledge a different morality based on other religions? In this regard, I think our civil laws should be constructed independent of religion so all races, religions, and ethnicities can live under the same code. Maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

That's not wishful thinking. That's reality.

Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: whack-n-stack] #2002250
01/23/17 07:03 PM
KY
AUstan23 Offline
10 point
AUstan23  Offline
10 point
KY
Originally Posted By: whack-n-stack

Yep.

It is easier to fool a man than to convince him he has been fooled.
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: BPI] #2002251
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Online content
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Online Content
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted By: BPI
O.k. then where does morality even come from ?

If this is something you are really interested in then research Teleological vs. Deontological ethics. That will answer a lot of your questions.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: whack-n-stack] #2002254
01/23/17 07:11 PM
01/23/17 07:11 PM
Central Alabama
Y
Yelp softly Offline
10 point
Yelp softly  Offline
10 point
Y
Central Alabama

You don't think there's lots of folks pushing for laws based on their religious beliefs? I said I wish we had a code independent of religion that all cultures could live by. I don't see that being the current reality. Heck, I'm not even sure it's possible.

"When there was no fowl, we ate crawdad, when there was no crawdad, we ate sand."

"YOU ATE SAND!" - Raising Arizona
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: Yelp softly] #2002260
01/23/17 07:16 PM
01/23/17 07:16 PM
jawbone Online content
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Online Content
Freak of Nature

[quote=whack-n-stack]
I said I wish we had a code independent of religion that all cultures could live by. I don't see that being the current reality. Heck, I'm not even sure it's possible.

We do have such a standard. It is called the Golden Rule in our society, but has different terms in other societies, but it is the closest thing to a universal code of conduct that we have.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: Yelp softly] #2002261
01/23/17 07:17 PM
01/23/17 07:17 PM
KY
AUstan23 Offline
10 point
AUstan23  Offline
10 point
KY

You don't think there's lots of folks pushing for laws based on their religious beliefs? I said I wish we had a code independent of religion that all cultures could live by. I don't see that being the current reality. Heck, I'm not even sure it's possible.

Yea you're right people definitely do that. I think it's a possibility but a Long way off if you're talking about a global consensus including developing nations on a code of conduct. Middle eastern theocracy being the prime wtf example.

It is easier to fool a man than to convince him he has been fooled.
Re: Legislating Morality..a discussion [Re: jawbone] #2002270
01/23/17 07:59 PM
01/23/17 07:59 PM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL

Originally Posted By: jawbone

[quote=whack-n-stack]
I said I wish we had a code independent of religion that all cultures could live by. I don't see that being the current reality. Heck, I'm not even sure it's possible.

We do have such a standard. It is called the Golden Rule in our society, but has different terms in other societies, but it is the closest thing to a universal code of conduct that we have.

Agreed that is probably the most common of all moral standards universally across the globe today and "yesterday". Spot on.

The reason multiple people groups from different cultural and religious backgrounds over long periods of time agree on the Golden Rule concept (along with other common moral standards) is....get ready...it's 100% a Biblical precept that reflects the nature of God and God wrote it on the hearts of all men so it is inherently inside all mankind. Even if people don't know God, they naturally know and understand morality.

Whether we choose to live by it...well that's another thread grin

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.