</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Honda Foreman 4WD
by eeua90. 04/23/24 01:35 PM
Aimpoint Comp M5S with 2 mounts
by Turkeyneck78. 04/22/24 07:50 PM
Kubota Tractor M6060
by oakachoy. 04/22/24 04:59 PM
Harley for Sale
by JA. 04/22/24 03:43 PM
2007 Ford F150 King Ranch 4x4 $6500
by chrismims. 04/22/24 01:54 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
110 registered members (Luxfisher, Reptar, Bushmaster, bamaeyedoc, Mack1, BayedUp, BentBarrel, abolt300, Mansfield, BUCK EYES, Semo, murf205, SouthBamaSlayer, globe, MurphySimmons, odocoileus, BamaBoHunter, Dixiepatriot, kaferhaus, 7PTSPREAD, Backwards cowboy, Bamarich2, Acorn, rst87, Squadron77, Duck Engr, C3SEAST, hitek, CatfishJunkie, Bustinbeards, Livintohunt19, Shaneomac2, !shiloh!, coosabuckhunter, hallb, outdoorguy88, hunterturf, NVM1031, AU coonhunter, BigEd, Joe4majors, gman, Todd1700, BPI, Brian_C, Justice, fillmore, 163dm, Cactus_buck, dtmwtp, coldtrail, longshot, ridgestalker, woodduck, Turkeyneck78, JohnG, Scout308, DoeNut, bamadwd, Showout, Holcomb, desertdog, crenshawco, Chaser357, UA Hunter, PanolaProductions, Wahoo, Stu, Whitetaillane, Trecker1, pcola4, Peach, TurkeyJoe, limabean, Woody1, jarcher38, Dean, Blessed, JSOG47, Rmart30, oldforester, Catbird, Roondog, Stacey, BrandonClark, CarbonClimber1, PapaD, RockFarmer, Turberville, Dragfan66, paintrock, JA, Skillet, deer3616, wk2hnt, johnv, GHTiger10, Buckwheat, 12 invisible), 452 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: NightHunter] #1978414
01/04/17 06:26 PM
01/04/17 06:26 PM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline OP
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline OP
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted By: NightHunter
Originally Posted By: jawbone
popcorn

The war on drugs to the war on no safety vests. I see this ending well...

Carry on thumbup

Interesting analogy. One of the biggest mistakes Reagan made was using the term "War on Drugs". The reason it was a mistake is because you never enter into a war that you know will have no end. Wars are supposed to have definitive endings, with one side winning and one side losing. Same for "The war On Terrorism". Terrorism isn't going to end short of the Second Coming. Poor terminology by the leaders at that time.

Does this analogy mean we can't beat the DCNR? We have to accept and like the decisions handed down by Mr. Sykes and the CAB? I don't think so. I think that with the right voices behind us, we can work for more representation for the common-man hunter.

Personally, I would just like to be convinced the changes are for the better before they make them.

For the record, I support mandatory Orange regs.

I wasn't referring to the DCNR. I was making light of the fact you all want to abolish the DCNR and traditional LE forces Trooper, Sheriff, Local Municipalities are the ones waging wars on drugs, texting, speeding, seat belts but y'all want them to enforce game laws/management. Just saying...

I'm out. I have nothing else educated or otherwise to add.

Thanks for your contribution to my thread, but my sheriff isn't waging a war on anything except crime. He is by far the most responsive LEO that I know. I would totally trust him to fairly enforce all the laws in my county. I'm sure he would never profile hunters and pull them over because they had an ATV.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1978423
01/04/17 06:32 PM
01/04/17 06:32 PM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted By: Atoler

There are might be better ways to govern our dcnr, but doing away with it is absolutely ignorant.

I disagree with you, but that's the beauty of aldeer; everyone can express their opinion.

With the plan that I have proposed - seasons set by a Board elected by license holders, there is no way that our deer herd would have been allowed to be wiped out the way it has in some AL areas. Hunters who have been insisting for years that the 2 doe a day limit is insanity would have been heard and changes would have already been made in those areas. There would have been no need for something like GC; elected Reps would have had to listen to their people or get voted out.

We certainly need a state agency to manage the parks and such, but putting the power to actually govern into the hands of duly elected representatives is not as radical of an idea as some seem to think. I would argue that its the type of government that we were supposed to have all along; not a system controlled by unelected bureaucrats.

Sounds like you are actually agreeing with me lol. We need some form of governing body, because as history proves, we wipe the game out without it. Your suggestion is one of several potemtial ways to structure that governing body.....

Indeed, we agree in many ways, and I don't want a move to a European model where the landowner owns the game. The American model is that the People own the game. I just want the People to be able to elect those that set the seasons, and specifically the People who are the "user group" that has an active interest.

I'll admit it's an idea that will likely never happen just as I have presented it, but a year ago I was certain Jeff Sessions would never be the Attorney General. Things can change in America when people start talking about change. Our biggest need is a governor with the desire to lead it.

So who on aldeer wants to run for governor? smile

Only one Guvner round here and that is Skinny.

I think we all seem to agree that something needs to be done differently and that the stakeholders (a great bureaucratic term) need to be more directly involved. While we don't agree on everything, having some common ground is a big step in the right direction.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: jawbone] #1978443
01/04/17 06:53 PM
01/04/17 06:53 PM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline OP
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline OP
Booner
Sylacauga, AL

There are might be better ways to govern our dcnr, but doing away with it is absolutely ignorant.

I disagree with you, but that's the beauty of aldeer; everyone can express their opinion.

With the plan that I have proposed - seasons set by a Board elected by license holders, there is no way that our deer herd would have been allowed to be wiped out the way it has in some AL areas. Hunters who have been insisting for years that the 2 doe a day limit is insanity would have been heard and changes would have already been made in those areas. There would have been no need for something like GC; elected Reps would have had to listen to their people or get voted out.

We certainly need a state agency to manage the parks and such, but putting the power to actually govern into the hands of duly elected representatives is not as radical of an idea as some seem to think. I would argue that its the type of government that we were supposed to have all along; not a system controlled by unelected bureaucrats.

Sounds like you are actually agreeing with me lol. We need some form of governing body, because as history proves, we wipe the game out without it. Your suggestion is one of several potemtial ways to structure that governing body.....

Indeed, we agree in many ways, and I don't want a move to a European model where the landowner owns the game. The American model is that the People own the game. I just want the People to be able to elect those that set the seasons, and specifically the People who are the "user group" that has an active interest.

I'll admit it's an idea that will likely never happen just as I have presented it, but a year ago I was certain Jeff Sessions would never be the Attorney General. Things can change in America when people start talking about change. Our biggest need is a governor with the desire to lead it.

So who on aldeer wants to run for governor? smile

Only one Guvner round here and that is Skinny.

I think we all seem to agree that something needs to be done differently and that the stakeholders (a great bureaucratic term) need to be more directly involved. While we don't agree on everything, having some common ground is a big step in the right direction.

So all we need is for Skinny to agree to run! smile

There is no one idea that is likely to actually happen, and that certainly includes mine. Just the agreement of a lot of people that change needs to happen could go a long way toward getting it started. I could support almost any system that gives people a genuine voice in how our fish and game will be managed. Being allocated 5 minutes at a cab meeting with the certainty that whatever you say will be ignored is not a voice.

Thanks to all who have commented; I gotta go to bed. Good hunting to all!

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1978450
01/04/17 07:02 PM
01/04/17 07:02 PM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Amazing how difficult it is to understand that the DNCR should only provide a MINIMAL framework to insure the wildlife resources flourish and that people play nice with each other and let the landowners manage their lands as lenient or as strict as they want withing the MINIMAL framework set forth by the DNCR. What has and is occurring is the DNCR through the current regimes actions is stomping the hell out of the ability to control ones own property at the groveling and cheering on of those (mainly the "trophy" hunter brigade)that want the government to control everybody else!!!!!!! Government should ALWAYS be the last resort to create, eh, solve the problem that they created!!!!!!

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: Fun4all] #1978467
01/04/17 07:35 PM
01/04/17 07:35 PM
Round ‘bout there
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Round ‘bout there
Quote:
Amazing how difficult it is to understand that the DNCR should only provide a MINIMAL framework to insure the wildlife resources flourish and that people play nice with each other and let the landowners manage their lands as lenient or as strict as they want withing the MINIMAL framework set forth by the DNCR.

We had that until about 10 or so years ago.

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: Clem] #1978483
01/04/17 11:28 PM
01/04/17 11:28 PM
A
Atoler Online content
14 point
Atoler  Online Content
14 point
A
Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:
Amazing how difficult it is to understand that the DNCR should only provide a MINIMAL framework to insure the wildlife resources flourish and that people play nice with each other and let the landowners manage their lands as lenient or as strict as they want withing the MINIMAL framework set forth by the DNCR.

For a handful of years..... Before that it was a free for all on bucks with limitations on does. Now it's a free for all on does, with limitations on bucks. The current regs are likely the least limiting ever, except for those few years where it was a free for all on bucks and does.

Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1978499
01/05/17 01:23 AM
01/05/17 01:23 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
popcorn

Carry on thumbup

Interesting analogy. One of the biggest mistakes Reagan made was using the term "War on Drugs". The reason it was a mistake is because you never enter into a war that you know will have no end. Wars are supposed to have definitive endings, with one side winning and one side losing. Same for "The war On Terrorism". Terrorism isn't going to end short of the Second Coming. Poor terminology by the leaders at that time.

Does this analogy mean we can't beat the DCNR? We have to accept and like the decisions handed down by Mr. Sykes and the CAB? I don't think so. I think that with the right voices behind us, we can work for more representation for the common-man hunter.

Personally, I would just like to be convinced the changes are for the better before they make them.

I wasn't referring to the DCNR. I was making light of the fact you all want to abolish the DCNR and traditional LE forces Trooper, Sheriff, Local Municipalities are the ones waging wars on drugs, texting, speeding, seat belts but y'all want them to enforce game laws/management. Just saying...

Thanks for your contribution to my thread, but my sheriff isn't waging a war on anything except crime. He is by far the most responsive LEO that I know. I would totally trust him to fairly enforce all the laws in my county. I'm sure he would never profile hunters and pull them over because they had an ATV.

SON OF A .....!!! rofl rofl

Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1978507
01/05/17 01:52 AM
01/05/17 01:52 AM
Walker county
Driveby Offline
Doing the best I can.
Driveby  Offline
Doing the best I can.
Walker county
How about we require anyone that has to do with making game regs to be an actual biologist and come from different areas that they would represent at meetings. I feel like that would be a good start. Also, if you own, run, or represent a business that could profit from said regs, you're out.

Last edited by Driveby; 01/05/17 01:56 AM.

The true mark of a man is not how he conducts himself during times of prosperity, but how he conducts himself during times of adversity.
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1978512
01/05/17 02:00 AM
01/05/17 02:00 AM
Gurley, Alabama
S
Standbanger Offline
12 point
Standbanger  Offline
12 point
S
Gurley, Alabama
The Management Advantage

Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: NightHunter] #1978565
01/05/17 03:22 AM
01/05/17 03:22 AM
Thomasville, AL
H
Hogwild Offline
Booner
Hogwild  Offline
Booner
H
Thomasville, AL
popcorn

Carry on thumbup

I wasn't referring to the DCNR. I was making light of the fact you all want to abolish the DCNR and traditional LE forces- Trooper, Sheriff, Local Municipalities are the ones waging wars on drugs, texting, speeding, seat belts but y'all want them to enforce game laws/management. Just saying...

And by waging wars, I mean doing their primary duties...

The only problem with that argument is the fact that for MANY years now, the DCNR has been under-staffed on Field Personnel/GW's. I would counter that ANY presence, or even the threat of a presence, is a far better deterrent to illegal activities than what has existed the past few years in many areas. We keep making more and more Rules and Regulations. BUt, seem to be severely lacking in enforcing the ones hat are already in existence.

Just my $.02!

Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: Driveby] #1978574
01/05/17 03:30 AM
01/05/17 03:30 AM
Jasper
M
mikewhandley Offline
8 point
mikewhandley  Offline
8 point
M
Jasper
Originally Posted By: Driveby
How about we require anyone that has to do with making game regs to be an actual biologist and come from different areas that they would represent at meetings. I feel like that would be a good start. Also, if you own, run, or represent a business that could profit from said regs, you're out.

that aint going to happen....this is politics. don't drag common sense into it.

Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1978621
01/05/17 04:23 AM
01/05/17 04:23 AM
Hoover
burbank Offline
Booner
burbank  Offline
Booner
Hoover
This isn't a movement. Just some dudes unhappy with a proposed gobbler limit change a few years ago that are severely butt hurt. They are no different than 49er. He wanted to be able to shoot spikes year around.

Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1978626
01/05/17 04:28 AM
01/05/17 04:28 AM
Boxes Cove
2Dogs Offline
Freak of Nature
2Dogs  Offline
Freak of Nature
Boxes Cove
popcorn

Carry on thumbup

Interesting analogy. smile

Nixon started the war on drugs and used the full force of government. I think most anyone will agree its been a miserable failure. I'm not aware of the war on safety vests, but I'd assume that is a libertarian idea and the libertarians have already lost that one, so another failed war.

But, there is good news of a successful war! The War to Make Me Get a Permit to Invite Some Friends Over to My Property To Follow Our Squirrel Dogs Thru the Woods With No Guns has been a rousing success. Congratulations on your latest victory! smile

Mr. Sykes has a new column out about GC. In it, he says that there were 2 groups against GC - those who were misinformed, and those who would never be happy with anything. He said he could put a buck behind every tree and these would complain that there wasn't enough trees. Clem and 2Dogs, I'm pretty sure he was talking about you guys. smile So apparently, there is no legitimate reason to oppose any of his ideas because all of them are awesome.

Here it is for your reading enlightenment:

http://www.alafarmnews.com/index.php/from-wildlife-and-freshwater-fisheries

My beef is how he got gc, backroom deals and going against the advice of his biologists on the season extension. It's a crooked ,pack of lies.

"Why do you ask"?

Always vote the slowest path to socialism.

Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: William] #1978647
01/05/17 04:38 AM
01/05/17 04:38 AM
Buc-ee’s Beach Express
leroycnbucks Offline
Freak of Nature
leroycnbucks  Offline
Freak of Nature
Buc-ee’s Beach Express
Originally Posted By: William
How did we license the right to hunt and fish? How did we allow the state to own and manage our fish and game? Land owners should be allowed to manage their own properties without interference from the state.

Honestly, the regs have gotten so confusing that I don't even try to keep up any more. It's a damn shame what we've let them turn hunting and fishing into.

I always thought the state manages fish and game because they are a resource of the states and belong to all the people that reside in that state and not just a select few that own their own land. The deer on our place that actually live there and feed there are free to roam where they choose. Therefore everyone that boarders our property can kill the chit out of them because they don't belong to us. That's the way I see it as far as wild game goes.

Proud Army and ALNG veteran
God Bless America!
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: Atoler] #1978679
01/05/17 04:54 AM
01/05/17 04:54 AM
Jefferson
F
Fun4all Offline
10 point
Fun4all  Offline
10 point
F
Jefferson
Originally Posted By: Clem
Quote:

For a handful of years..... Before that it was a free for all on bucks with limitations on does. Now it's a free for all on does, with limitations on bucks. The current regs are likely the least limiting ever, except for those few years where it was a free for all on bucks and does.

Then add in the zones, days for doe season in certain areas, forced game check, writing kills down on a piece of paper,requiring a pencil or pen to be on the person when they are hunting, ad nauseum, etc.

Clem was right it used to be that way, probably before a lot of today's "hunters" were old enough to "hunt" and there were apparently more deer. I wouldn't hesitate to say that the same people that are complaining today about there not being any deer are the same ones that were complaining that there were too many does 10 years ago.

Part of the lenient framework would be to set the bag limit for the game animals to flourish, if a landowner wanted to restrict that even further the they are more than able too. If the landowner needs to increase that limit they could request that from the DCNR. Pretty easy really.

"After all, it is not the killing that brings satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and cunning. The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport." Dr. Saxton Pope
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1978705
01/05/17 05:19 AM
01/05/17 05:19 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Leroy, you're spot on, said it repeatedly and it just ticks people off. The State owns ALL the deer! While the State is "technically" managing deer, in reality they're managing deer hunters for the greater good of the deer (not the greater good of the hunter). And I don't even believe in today's time the purpose is to use hunters as a tool to control the population... I think they're having to be careful today about it going the other way. Most of us agree there was an overharvest for the past 20 years, coyotes have exploded, loss of habitat, more car collisions, et al. I just don't sense that the average hunter concerns themself with the larger picture. We are selfish creatures!

Just a random example... There are proven and repeated studies showing a correlation between the presence of mature bucks in a social structure and that herd's immune system. Y'all this is SO much bigger than just how many and what size deer you want to kill. Managing a DCNR is wildly complex, "hunting rules" are but a sliver of that pie. Some decisions (while they affect hunting) weren't purposed to be about "hunting", but instead are about herd health, or other ecological matters. This is why I'm telling y'all that Sykes is an elite level deer guy. Hell, I don't know about his political manners or personality, he may suck at that part of the job, but you're being foolish to pretend to know more than him about "your" deer.

It seems you're all caught up in some political gamesmanship, while those who know the most about DEER don't have a problem with the current DCNR.

Last edited by ikillbux; 01/05/17 05:20 AM.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1978719
01/05/17 05:34 AM
01/05/17 05:34 AM
Walker county
Driveby Offline
Doing the best I can.
Driveby  Offline
Doing the best I can.
Walker county
Ok then ikillbux, what was the BIOLOGICAL reasoning behind extending the season for the northern half of the state? I mean, bucks were given a limit of 3 a year to keep too many from being killed then we were given more days to kill them. Either Sykes really isn't that smart or he is bought and paid for by special interests (which is most people's biggest complaint). Which is it?

The true mark of a man is not how he conducts himself during times of prosperity, but how he conducts himself during times of adversity.
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: Driveby] #1978745
01/05/17 05:50 AM
01/05/17 05:50 AM
Alabama
J
jmj120 Offline
10 point
jmj120  Offline
10 point
J
Alabama
Originally Posted By: Driveby
Ok then ikillbux, what was the BIOLOGICAL reasoning behind extending the season for the northern half of the state? I mean, bucks were given a limit of 3 a year to keep too many from being killed then we were given more days to kill them. Either Sykes really isn't that smart or he is bought and paid for by special interests (which is most people's biggest complaint). Which is it?

He's bought and paid for. Somebody needs to file an ethics complaint against the fool. I wish I had time to investigate it. I truly believe something is there.

Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1978752
01/05/17 05:55 AM
01/05/17 05:55 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
That special interest was HUNTERS!!!!!!!! The food plot whiners pissing and moaning about "we can't see deer without the rut, the rut, the rut, the rut, the rut (insert vomit here)" Wanh, South AL gets it, wanh!!! Unbelievable pressure from the public, literally everybody was wanting that crap. There was no biological reason for extending it in the south! Same reasoning, whining hunters. They "caved" to the pressure if you will, trying to please this impossible bunch of "kill em all" hunters we have.

Now, prove to me there's some sinister special interest lobby other than hunters, I'll admit I'm wrong. But in the end, that's NOT what 9/10 of these guys on here are complaining about...they are complaining because they think there's an agenda to make hunting in Alabama like hunting with the Lakoskis in Iowa.

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Momentum Builds to Abolish the dcnr [Re: ikillbux] #1978763
01/05/17 06:09 AM
01/05/17 06:09 AM
Guntersville, AL
IDOT Offline
I am Cornholio
IDOT  Offline
I am Cornholio
Guntersville, AL
Who "Benefits" by having an extended season?

Last edited by IDOT; 01/05/17 07:03 AM.

Originally Posted by Patricia Heaton
If you’re a common sense person, you probably don’t feel you have a home in this world right now. If you’re a Christian, you know you were never meant to.

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.