</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Carpet Installation Equipment
by hunter84. 03/27/24 07:12 AM
$20013hp all-power side shaft generator motor
by HollerHunter. 03/26/24 07:43 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by top cat. 03/28/24 08:23 AM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by Mbrock. 03/27/24 07:53 PM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
128 registered members (Dubie, Mully, mathews prostaff, metalmuncher, hue, William, Skinner, Thread Killer, WMEC615, SwampHunter, sasquatch1, thayerp81, Skillet, roosterbob, Raspy, Beer Belly, foldemup, doublefistful, Hunting15, johnv, MTeague, BrentsFX4, 3Gs, Backwards cowboy, jdhunter2011, Shaneomac2, Gobble4me757, GMR, CeeHawk37, Mbrock, Whitebone, Austin1, Lockjaw, BCLC, WEMOhunter, Emile, Calvin, Paxamus, 270wsm, trlrdrdave, hallb, Ragu, stl32, 7PTSPREAD, hunter84, Last Soldier, square, wareagle22, fillmore, burbank, Sgt_mike, limabean, donia, BigEd, bama_earl, scrubbuck, Boathand, Hoof2table, brett.smith, AustinC, NVM1031, WPZJR, Koba, Lil_Fella, Bushmaster, Jbf, Smitty4Bama, Bulls eye, Ridge Life, coldtrail, Catbird, Squadron77, Paint Rock 00, beerhunter, lefthorn, Treelimb, top cat, Moose24, MarkCollin, GKM, Bandit635, OldgoatTN68, JKlep, bamamed1, buck_buster, DGAMBLER, CarbonClimber1, bates2rw, hawndog, skoor, 10mm, Marengo hunter, BhamFred, BigA47, Lightfoot, Brownitsdown, seminole1, mayberry51, desertdog, RockFarmer, paulfish4570, Narrow Gap, HBWALKER14, KHOOKS, Yellahammer, fish_blackbass, hippi, Spec, Beulahboy, jhardy, Livintohunt19, Beebs, CAM, mw2015, 14 invisible), 552 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 26 of 76 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 75 76
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2017310
02/05/17 12:41 PM
02/05/17 12:41 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Call came in earlier today. I didn’t have time to write a story ahead of time. The hunter had gotten my name from someone I tracked for earlier in the season but when I pulled up he was like “Hey, do ever go to that Aldeer website?” I just grinned. grin

Turns out it was an aldeer lurker. His son had shot a good buck yesterday evening but after doing an extensive search this morning, they called it off and decided to call in a dog. The buck was quartering hard away from the hunters on the shot and dad described the buck as looking loose in the back end after the shot. He said he waited a few minutes but it was getting dark so he wanted to see if they could find blood before they lost light. When they started searching for the buck, it was only standing about 75-100 yards from the hit site and it blew at ‘em and took off.

Where the deer stood there was a BIG area of blood the size of a couch cushion or bigger. The deer had stood there for 15-20 minutes after the shot until the hunter bumped it. After that it was spotty out to 200-300 yards where they lost it. Otis took it on a deliberate path another 600-700 yards past that where the track turned hot on us. We were in a major creek bottom with branches running here and there. The deer had just traveled straight down the creek branch the whole way before laying up next to it. Otis tracked it hot for several hundred more yards….but the deer never slowed up enough to hole up anywhere. We crossed the little creek branch several times before finally making it to the major creek (which was the property line) before calling it off.

I think this deer was hit in one of the muscles on the back leg and is why the hunter saw him looking “loose” in the back end. The blood at that one spot would have led you to believe the deer was hit HARD but I feel pretty certain this deer wasn’t hit in the body cavity. Deer that are hit hard in the body cavity don’t tend to stand there and then blow at you. A deer with a leg muscle blew up would bleed hard like that though. He’ll probably have a bad limp but be ok if he doesn’t have complications with the wound or yotes don’t get him eventually. This is just a guess though.

Last edited by CNC; 02/05/17 01:36 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2017351
02/05/17 01:15 PM
02/05/17 01:15 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Another call just came in for tomorrow morning. This one doesn’t have a whole lot of a story to it. It was an outfitter (guide) that I spoke with and the hunter didn’t tell him much other than that the deer just took off. They reported finding two softball size spots of blood about 75 yards from the hit site and that was it. The guide was looping out ahead looking for more blood and thinks he may have jumped the deer. They backed out.

This one is anybody’s guess on what kind of hit we’re dealing with. The shot was made at 7:00 am this morning so by the time we start tracking tomorrow morning this track is gonna be over 24 hrs old. To be continued………. smile

Last edited by CNC; 02/05/17 01:16 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2018450
02/06/17 11:44 AM
02/06/17 11:44 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
I got snookered into going on one hell of a road trip this morning. The outfitter said just below Banks when we were talking on the phone….. but apparently he was only talking about where we we’re gonna meet…..cause we were damn near in Elba by the time we made it to land they were hunting. It’s all good though. I met what will likely be a long-term client for years to come. They had already lost 6 bucks this year and didn’t know about anyone with tracking dogs.

I have no idea where this hunter hit this deer. It had come a couple little showers since the shot yesterday and the two small blood spots they found yesterday were gone. Otis’s nose amazes me though. I’d like to try him on a 48 hr old track next year. This one was around 25-26 hrs old and he picked right up on it and went with it like it had just been laid down. He tracked right by the two blood spots, right through where the deer had been jumped and on for another 800 yards past that until the guide called it off as we started approaching an area where he had some folks hunting this morning. Its still anybody's guess on where this deer might be hit. It must have not been hit too hard.

It's down to the nitty gritty now boys....only a few days left. smile

Last edited by CNC; 02/06/17 11:48 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2019449
02/07/17 06:02 AM
02/07/17 06:02 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
So I’m thinking about getting a Geo Tracker for next season. I’ve found one with low mileage that’s only been used as a tow along behind a RV. Most of these tracks I’m going on are within 30-40 minutes of home and I’m mostly just running up and down the backroads of Macon and Bullock counties. A little straight shift Geo Tracker 4X4 seems like it would be the ideal thing. I should be able to put some more aggressive tires on it and follow folks right off road into their properties without leaving any more of a footprint than what a side by side would.

I need to look at one in person first though to see if I have enough room in the back. I thought I might be able to take the back seat out and either have a small custom dog box built or just use a couple smaller dog crates. I think I may paint it hunter orange. grin

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2020496
02/07/17 04:43 PM
02/07/17 04:43 PM
The triangle Bullock county an...
D
DAX Offline
4 point
DAX  Offline
4 point
D
Hey CNC I've been keeping up with your thread mainly to see how Shelby was doing but I got addicted to the bad shooting going on around here. Anyways I wanted to let you know that I owned Shelby's grandmother and she was one special dog. I also have Shelby's sister the big chocolate female because I told Taylor I wanted the first born no matter what it was. Just wanted to let you know as far as labs you couldn't have got any better pedigree for what you are trying to do in my opinion. Otis better watch out in a year or two once she figures it all out. Good luck and keep the stories coming

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: DAX] #2020740
02/08/17 02:43 AM
02/08/17 02:43 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted By: DAX
Hey CNC I've been keeping up with your thread mainly to see how Shelby was doing but I got addicted to the bad shooting going on around here. Anyways I wanted to let you know that I owned Shelby's grandmother and she was one special dog. I also have Shelby's sister the big chocolate female because I told Taylor I wanted the first born no matter what it was. Just wanted to let you know as far as labs you couldn't have got any better pedigree for what you are trying to do in my opinion. Otis better watch out in a year or two once she figures it all out. Good luck and keep the stories coming

That’s really cool to hear. I’ve been extremely pleased with Shelby so far. I know there hasn’t been a whole lot written in this year’s stories about her but I think she’s gonna be a special dog in another year or two. It’ll be a hell of one-two punch with her and Otis. I think she’s got more drive than any dog I’ve ever been around…….and she’s really, really “nosy”. It’s just a constant sniff, sniff, sniff when we walk around. I'll keep y'all updated with her progress this off season. thumbup

Last edited by CNC; 02/08/17 02:45 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2021094
02/08/17 07:26 AM
02/08/17 07:26 AM
D
DAX Offline
4 point
DAX  Offline
4 point
D
This should make you feel good. My dog was a finished duck dog that spent most of the time in Arkansas duck hunting and at work with me. I leased my place to an oil company form LA in 2010 and they shot some deer like 75 a year on average. Needless to say tracking deer became a must over the years I've lost count but if the deer was hit or blood was found so was the deer especially gut shot. I believe that over time that tracking deer was more enjoyable for the dog because of the challenge. I'm not ashamed to say that I literally broke down the day that dog died. I have had a many a hunting buddy tell me I'll never have another one like that and most of them had fine dogs themselves but the difference was very easy to see. Drive is the best word the dang dog didn't know how to fail and could adapt to any situation and had the best nose I've ever seen. My pup has some big shoes to fill but I seen a lot of similarities

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: DAX] #2021152
02/08/17 08:32 AM
02/08/17 08:32 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
This should make you feel good. My dog was a finished duck dog that spent most of the time in Arkansas duck hunting and at work with me. I leased my place to an oil company form LA in 2010 and they shot some deer like 75 a year on average. Needless to say tracking deer became a must over the years I've lost count but if the deer was hit or blood was found so was the deer especially gut shot. I believe that over time that tracking deer was more enjoyable for the dog because of the challenge. I'm not ashamed to say that I literally broke down the day that dog died. I have had a many a hunting buddy tell me I'll never have another one like that and most of them had fine dogs themselves but the difference was very easy to see. Drive is the best word the dang dog didn't know how to fail and could adapt to any situation and had the best nose I've ever seen. My pup has some big shoes to fill but I seen a lot of similarities

That’s awesome!....It’s good to know that Shelby comes from a good line of dogs like that. There’s no doubt she’s not your everyday lab. I’ve been working with her some on shed hunting and she’s like a machine. Her puppy excitement doesn’t cause her as much issues hunting sheds as it does with blood tracking. I’ve went ahead and mowed part of my property into rows like you would see in quail hunting setups so we could start working more. I hid 3 sheds this morning along a loop and she found them all within a matter of a few minutes and brought them too me. I’m gonna talk to a couple landowners I track for and see if they’ll let me take her on a true shed hunt this spring. There’s one high fence property that would be ideal for training. I found two sheds off the edge of a food plot in there earlier this year on just a short blood track.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2021214
02/08/17 09:32 AM
02/08/17 09:32 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Here's a few pics of Shelby shed hunting......

Dax...Have you got any pics of grandma or sister? I'd love to see them if you didn't mind sharing.

Last edited by CNC; 02/08/17 09:33 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2021334
02/08/17 11:35 AM
02/08/17 11:35 AM
D
DAX Offline
4 point
DAX  Offline
4 point
D
Yeah I do but not on my phone I'll get the wife to round some up for me. Bell the grandmother was British and high dollar best money ever spent. She was about 60 pounds of pure muscle and drive. I breed her one time to the best dog I could find you know it's on the pedigree. Taylor basically camped out at my house trying to pic a puppy and I sure am glade he picked a female. I told him that one day he may have to return the favor. My dog had been gone for a little over a year when he called me and told me that he did the same thing picked the best male he could and it was my turn to get the pick of the litter. I told him that I wanted the first dog born I didn't care about color or sex. We call her gator she is pushing a slim 65 pounds and is very muscular. She gets a lot of exercise because of my place with the ponds and all. Hell my yard is like a duck dog training facility. My wife has a over hyper active boykin so with all that and good dog food she looks good. She is a picky eater and food is not top priority witch is good. I saw Shelby when she was about 5 weeks if I remember correctly she was one of the smaller pups and my wife went crazy over her. I like a bigger dog but athletic ability is more important. I want speed in the nasty stuff and that's what I got. These pups are more athletic then bell was and a lot faster and I like that. One more thing you are dead right these dogs are not your 200 dollar AKC lab lap dog biscuit eaters they are bread to work and are not for everybody.

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2021345
02/08/17 11:49 AM
02/08/17 11:49 AM
D
DAX Offline
4 point
DAX  Offline
4 point
D
Shelby looks like my brother's dog witch is Taylor's dogs sister and she was the runt out of 11 pups. She is still a little slim but she filled out a lot at about 2. She is grease lightning buddy she looks like a black Greyhound on a dove field and her whole body comes out of the water when she swims. I told my brother to take her to victory land I'd bet on her. Seriously that's a good thing in a real hunting situation I can't stand a slow lazy dog.

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2021361
02/08/17 12:19 PM
02/08/17 12:19 PM
D
DAX Offline
4 point
DAX  Offline
4 point
D

This is all I have of gator on my phone its from about 2 months ago.

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2021509
02/08/17 02:24 PM
02/08/17 02:24 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
thumbup

Shelby was at the vet at Christmas and was 35 lbs back then. I’d say she’s probably 40-45 now maybe. I figure she’ll top out in the mid 50’s. They're eating Taste of the Wild. The way I went about picking her out was by doing liver drags and seeing which pup responded the best to it. Her nose lit up when I put her down on the ground and she really started sniffing and showing curiosity to it. One of the things that really caught my eye when I saw the parents on here was that they were very athletic built.

Shelby will eventually be my work horse. We track in a lot of bird hunting type habitat that she’ll be able to work through a little easier than Otis can. She’s a lot leggier and moves through that type habitat a little better. Otis is about like a 45 lb beagle. It has it’s advantages too though. One track may be on 5000 acres in the middle of nowhere Bullock Co but the very next track may be on 200 acres that someone’s bow hunting on the edge of Auburn city limits. One track may be 4 miles down a dirt road and the next may be right up against highway 431 or 82. Otis’s shorter smaller stature makes him able to track in those tighter areas without much worry. He’s just a little short legged hound that walks and trots along. He’s got that cold, cold hound nose though. As fast as Shelby covers ground, it’s gonna be a long time before I could even think about using her off lead on a track like that. She’s still got to slow down and track with more control.

Last edited by CNC; 02/08/17 02:25 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2021667
02/08/17 04:50 PM
02/08/17 04:50 PM
D
DAX Offline
4 point
DAX  Offline
4 point
D
Yep that used to scare me when my dog would take off or when the deer was jumped and took off with dog in hot pursuit. Hell from know on the little bit of deer hunting I do or let anybody do these days I'll just call you if a dog is necessary. That will probably be the hardest thing for Shelby to slow down on a hot track. I guess it's a lot like having a steady gun dog that want break. By the way you need to come pick up sheds in all my bean fields before I put a tractor in them. Last year I sent a couple teenage boys to pick them out of the fields they didn't do a very good job I got 2 sheds hung in the disk and spent half an hour trying to get them out with out any tools.

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: DAX] #2021887
02/09/17 02:32 AM
02/09/17 02:32 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Yep that used to scare me when my dog would take off or when the deer was jumped and took off with dog in hot pursuit. Hell from know on the little bit of deer hunting I do or let anybody do these days I'll just call you if a dog is necessary. That will probably be the hardest thing for Shelby to slow down on a hot track. I guess it's a lot like having a steady gun dog that want break.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. The Garmin Alpha system gives you a lot of control over the dog once they learn how it works. There’s those first few trial runs on live deer though that you have to get through when you don’t know exactly how the dogs gonna react to the deer or the shock of the collar. Dealing with live deer too aggressively is where most dogs end up getting hurt of it ever happens.

Quote:
By the way you need to come pick up sheds in all my bean fields before I put a tractor in them. Last year I sent a couple teenage boys to pick them out of the fields they didn't do a very good job I got 2 sheds hung in the disk and spent half an hour trying to get them out with out any tools.

Heck yeah….Just let me know when would be a good time this Spring and me and Shelby will be there. thumbup

Last edited by CNC; 02/09/17 02:33 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2022898
02/09/17 07:49 PM
02/09/17 07:49 PM
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
I gotta say man, I'm sad to see this thread come to an end. Hands down the most entertaining thread of the year for me to keep up with. Thanks for sharing the stories and pics with us!

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: Southwood7] #2023012
02/10/17 03:22 AM
02/10/17 03:22 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted By: Southwood7
I gotta say man, I'm sad to see this thread come to an end. Hands down the most entertaining thread of the year for me to keep up with. Thanks for sharing the stories and pics with us!

Thanks Southwood!.......I’m a little sad to see it ending too. Tomorrow begins year 4 though and I’m excited about what next season will bring. Otis will turn 3 years old this summer and begin what will be his prime years of tracking. Shelby will start seeing her first real action too which will be a whole new adventure in itself. I may try to change things up a little next year with the stories. I’d like to post some go-pro videos if it wasn’t a pain to upload and post.

Thanks to everyone who followed along with the stories and thanks to you guys out there who called on us to help find your deer. We sure had a lot of fun this year. beers

Last edited by CNC; 02/10/17 03:23 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2023209
02/10/17 06:19 AM
02/10/17 06:19 AM
Lauderdale County
Cousneddy Offline
8 point
Cousneddy  Offline
8 point
Lauderdale County
I to have looked at this thread every day. I am going to try to come to the convention. I've got a 14 year old dachshund that thinks hes a person, best dog I have ever had. Didn't even bite the grandson that tried to check his oil. shocked His replacement will likely be a german wirehair dachshund that I will start training.

How about putting the go pro on Otis collar? That would be way too cool to see when he bayed one up!

Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: Cousneddy] #2023252
02/10/17 07:14 AM
02/10/17 07:14 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted By: Cousneddy
I to have looked at this thread every day. I am going to try to come to the convention. I've got a 14 year old dachshund that thinks hes a person, best dog I have ever had. Didn't even bite the grandson that tried to check his oil. shocked His replacement will likely be a german wirehair dachshund that I will start training.

How about putting the go pro on Otis collar? That would be way too cool to see when he bayed one up!

Cool!....I hope you’re able to make it to the convention. There will definitely be a few wirehairs around. I know Tom and Jackie Munoz will have their daschunds in attendance that you’ll be able to watch work.

They do make a version of the go pro to go on your dog but it looks like to me it would get snagged on something and end up gone.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: The Tales of Otis and Shelby Lou [Re: CNC] #2023498
02/10/17 01:19 PM
02/10/17 01:19 PM
AL
Gobble4me757 Online happy
10 point
Gobble4me757  Online Happy
10 point
AL
I have to give you major props CNC for the thread...it has helped me out so much with being able to read a hit after taking note to your notes on what different hits look like...I honestly never thought about bringing in a dog for all these years and now if anyone shoots at a buck and has marginal blood, I tell em to back out and call a dog...This has been the most entertaining read throughout the season of any of the threads as well as informative so thanks a ton!! Cant wait till next season for this thread!!

2017 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
2018 Team Aldeer Turkey Contest Champion
Page 26 of 76 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 75 76

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.