</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Remington 870 Wingmaster Magnum
by wareagul. 04/16/24 09:33 AM
Light fixture and Farmhouse Pendant Lights
by rst87. 04/16/24 08:40 AM
Adjustable shelving
by rst87. 04/16/24 08:19 AM
Ammo
by Cody Fowler. 04/15/24 09:52 PM
Leupold vx5 3-15x44 firedot
by brett.smith. 04/15/24 08:16 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Southern Illinois Hunting
by DeerNutz0U812_. 04/16/24 10:50 AM
Corn planting need Cnc advise
by cartervj. 04/11/24 05:24 AM
Anybody tried a Buck Muffin?
by JohnG. 04/10/24 04:55 PM
seems like
by Ridge Life. 04/10/24 01:59 PM
Need tractor work guy - Knoxville, AL
by WoodleyRoadDeer. 04/09/24 08:21 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
High hill
by Okalona. 04/10/24 12:30 PM
Who's Online Now
120 registered members (202P&Y, Whild_Bill, slippinlipjr, RockFarmer, hilljec, odocoileus, Shane99, AUtgr, BrandonClark, rhino21, 7PTSPREAD, Austin1, AU7MM08, Tree Dweller, Justice, hunter84, Turkeyneck78, IMISSALDEER, XVIII, Shmoe, Rolloverdave, 300gr, ts1979flh, goodman_hunter, Chad Burnette, Bushmaster, BD, cmontgomery, Scout1621, Skillet, aubigmac, thayerp81, twaldrop4, biglmbass, jameyr, Joe4majors, TroyBoy1988, huntndad, Cactus_buck, CarbonClimber1, TideWJO, Scout308, oldbowhunter, Deerslayer33, woodduck, Sself161, IDOT, FurFlyin, canichols424, Mansfield, Zbrann, Fishduck, Reptar, Thread Killer, JB71, Dean, Tracker, BamaBoHunter, CNC, Bowfish, KnightRyder, Powers, Gobble4me757, mrinfo, toothdoc, AUHoss79, Colt1917, Bigem1958, WPZJR, rst87, Tupi, zgobbler5, CatfishJunkie, Coosa1, outdoorguy88, Turkeyhunter12, crenshawco, BurningBright, Turkey, Solothurn, Irishguy, Dixiepatriot, Megatrondiablo, BCD, BentBarrel, slanddeerhunter, Coach3, sumpter_al, GoldenEagle, sawdust, hippi, BCLC, Team_Stuckem, Mbrock, mossyback, taggedout, dawgdr, Morris, JohnG, Lightfoot, Turkey Petter, 19 invisible), 593 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1774622
06/30/16 12:49 PM
06/30/16 12:49 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
CNC ,, sound like what i saw . looking north at about 11:00 it ran straight across west to east . elmore county

Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1774635
06/30/16 01:03 PM
06/30/16 01:03 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
saw a fox squirrel grab kill and carry off a ground squirrel .

saw a horned owl knock the orange hat off my nephew's head .

saw the air frozen .

heard my BIL shoot five times then yell bring my a knife or shells . i got there he had shot all four legs off a doe and had her in a bear hug with his legs wrapped around her .

me and my BIL saw the same big black cat at 15 yards .

not while hunting > me and my pocket dog walk up on a hen and her chicks . the hen just layed down . when we got closer my dog went over to see what it was . the hen jumped up and just plowed right over him dragging her wings . my dogs gets up looks at me as if to say WTF!!!!

i got more , lol

Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1774654
06/30/16 01:13 PM
06/30/16 01:13 PM
Cape San Blas, Florida
D
Deadwood Offline
Footbsll Bat PSYOPS
Deadwood  Offline
Footbsll Bat PSYOPS
D
Cape San Blas, Florida
I learned that armadillos like Green Apple Jolly Ranchers when they're under your tree stand. I also learned they crunch 'em instead of putting them between cheek and gum like a regular person. He didn't lick his fingers, so I didn't say anything.

Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1774655
06/30/16 01:17 PM
06/30/16 01:17 PM
alex city
oakachoy Offline
12 point
oakachoy  Offline
12 point
alex city
At our land in Wilcox, MIL was hunting a short distance from me. She unloaded her Browning BAR and started hollering. I go over to her stand and she has the 4 wheeler winch unwound and wrapped around a 6 point buck's neck.

WM Hunter "Trump literally sacrificed himself, his family and all of his businesses for this country.
He literally is a true American hero. And True American Patriot - warts and all."
Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1774659
06/30/16 01:23 PM
J
jallencrockett Offline OP
8 point
jallencrockett  Offline OP
8 point
J
So Irish your story reminded me of a buddy and myself adventure. We were base camped at 11500 feet on the flattop wilderness area and had just found out that we were sleeping in the nuisance bear release area. Everybody else had hawgirons strapped to their legs but we just had our recurves. About 3AM I'm awoke by this violent crash and then a strange sound begins. gaaahh -lump gaaaahhh-loomp gaaaahhh-loomp. OMG I'm freaking and I ask my buddy if he's awake and he looks at me with huge frightened eyes ands says SHUTUP..... The sound continues I freak and he say F-inn Shutup. The only thing between us and the monster was a cheap tent. We literally hugged each others like babies as the beast continued to make noise for another 20 minutes or so....finally the noise stopped. After about an hour we went back to sleep but both slept with one eye open.

The next day we got brave enough to venture out. Much to our surprise the monster was THERE! There had been about 40 mph winds that had blown over a 5 gallon water jug. The water jug had burped air gahhh-loomp for about 20 minutes till empty. We both new that monster was in trouble if it messed with us. SO sad so so sad.

Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: Frankie] #1774660
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted By: Frankie
CNC ,, sound like what i saw . looking north at about 11:00 it ran straight across west to east . elmore county

It happened again just in the last few years. I caught it on the news. The one I saw in my story happened back around 1999-2000 ish time frame around 4:30-5:00 in the morning. I was huntin in Russell Co around the old Yuchi Golf Course in Seale. Where I was standing would actually be smack dab in the middle of 431 these days. At the time it was a cutover where they had pushed it out to build the 4-lane and then apparently abandoned the project for a good number of years.

We dont rent pigs
Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1774661
06/30/16 01:29 PM
06/30/16 01:29 PM

S
steelman
Unregistered
steelman
Unregistered
S

Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: CNC] #1774688
06/30/16 02:02 PM
06/30/16 02:02 PM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Originally Posted By: CNC
Originally Posted By: Frankie

It happened again just in the last few years. I caught it on the news. The one I saw in my story happened back around 1999-2000 ish time frame around 4:30-5:00 in the morning. I was huntin in Russell Co around the old Yuchi Golf Course in Seale. Where I was standing would actually be smack dab in the middle of 431 these days. At the time it was a cutover where they had pushed it out to build the 4-lane and then apparently abandoned the project for a good number of years.

same thing ,,,,,yep two season ago i was on my tractor planting my green fields , saw that one too bout 4:00 in the evening if i remember right . look like the size of a soft ball

Last edited by Frankie; 06/30/16 02:04 PM.
Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: basspro527] #1774797
06/30/16 03:16 PM
06/30/16 03:16 PM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County

Originally Posted By: basspro527
I bet " He had Beautiful Hair"

"I rough talked him!"

Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1774907
06/30/16 04:56 PM
06/30/16 04:56 PM
Wetumpka, AL
ColeT Offline
10 point
ColeT  Offline
10 point
Wetumpka, AL
Buddy of mine told me that he used stay down off Troy hwy in an old house as a hunting lodge. Well one night they are all asleep and he feels something grab or touch his legs (one of the two) and he figured it was his friends. It keeps happening so he looks over and sure enough his friend is in bed asleep. Then the next time it happened he jumped up in the bed screamed and ran through whatever it was. He drove home right after that and hasn't stayed there since.

Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1774927
06/30/16 05:31 PM
06/30/16 05:31 PM
Hoover, AL
M48scout Offline
12 point
M48scout  Offline
12 point
Hoover, AL
Who was it that posted that video of the naked dude running through the the woods? To me that takes the cake.

Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: MANGLER] #1774943
06/30/16 06:22 PM
06/30/16 06:22 PM
Missouri
swamp_fever2002 Offline
Administrator
swamp_fever2002  Offline
Administrator
Missouri
Originally Posted By: MANGLER
Originally Posted By: DEADorALIVE
Not a hunting story, but down in my goat pen, there's a big Poplar tree with a Cooper's hawk living in it. Every time I'm outside, he follows me around my place or my oldest son's place (next door). He does the same thing with my son, but nobody else. Pretty much any time I'm outside, I can stop what I'm doing and look around, and he's usually within 25-30 feet of me, on a low limb, fence post, whatever, watching. I've turned around a few times and had him fly by within a foot or two of my face before. I have several pics of him hanging around, but can't post them from work, but 'Huntress has several, too.

Thats really cool.

Agree

It takes a long time to grow an old friend.
Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: GomerPyle] #1774944
06/30/16 06:30 PM
06/30/16 06:30 PM
Spanish Fort
O
ozarktroutbum Offline
10 point
ozarktroutbum  Offline
10 point
O
Spanish Fort
Originally Posted By: GomerPyle
had a hawk nearly take my face off.

I was sitting in a ladder stand on the edge of a large pasture. I'd been watching a hawk circling across the pasture. He kept landing in a tree about 300-400 yds away, and then flying back down to hunt some shoulder-high grass.

well after a while, I watched him fly out of the tree, coming toward me. I thought, hey this is cool, he's coming this way

about 200 yds out (halfway-ish), I think "hmm, wonder what he's after"

about 50 yds out, he's now over the short (ankle-high) green field planted in the corner of the pasture, I think "man, he's about to fly up in my tree!"

he get's about 15ft out and I think "Holy crap, he's about to land on this limb! [coming off the tree just over my head].

Now, up until this point, I'd not moved an inch b/c I wanted to see what he was up to. he'd come all the way across this field never once flapping a wing, but he was moving quick.

at this point, he was probably less than 5ft from my face, so I duck down in my seat as fast as I can. He freaked out when he realized I was there and started back-peddling and flapping his wings like crazy and flew up over my head. Close enough I could feel the wind coming off his wings.

All I can figure is maybe from across the field I moved my head slightly and he thought it was a squirrel on the side of the tree or something and was coming after it.
Had a hawk take two very blatant passes just over my head during turkey season this past April. If you've ever seen a mockingbird dive bombing a cat or dog that was what it felt like.

Last edited by ozarktroutbum; 06/30/16 06:31 PM.
Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: AUstan23] #1774998
07/01/16 02:40 AM
07/01/16 02:40 AM
Sylacauga, AL
poorcountrypreacher Offline
Booner
poorcountrypreacher  Offline
Booner
Sylacauga, AL
Originally Posted By: AUstan23
I was scouting/stalk hunting down a creek during December two years ago in hopes of finding a good crossing. This creek was about three lanes wide and had a lot of small sandbars. I walked out onto one sandbar to look at the deer tracks and noticed what I thought was a boot print. I thought well crap somebody else has the same idea I do (this was on public land), but after giving this thing a second look I can make out the first three toes of the print as well as a slight arch. My mind then went into what is somebody doing out here in thirty degree weather walking barefoot in a creek. I look further out on the sandbar and see the opposite footprint as well as a third footprint before it goes into thigh deep water. So not only is this person barefoot, but they must have got in the water. At this point I'm real confused, so I try to get a size one these things. To match the stride, I had to hop off one foot to reach the next footprint and the print itself was about the same size as my rubber boot which was roughly 14 inches by about 5.5 inches. On top of that, I could not get the same depth into the sand as these prints even if i jumped and pushed down hard upon landing. So this was a big, heavy barefooted man walking across a creek in thirty degree weather during deer season. I decided I didn't like this spot too much and walked back to the truck.

You saw the track of a young yahoo. Back when I was growing up near the Cahaba river we use to catch them when squirrel or coon hunting. We should have made some pics, but we had no idea they would later become such a big deal. Grandpa didn't care anything about them because they weren't fit to eat, but we always shot them out because the farmers hated them so much. They stunk worse than anything I've ever smelled.

My Grandpa thought they lived most of the year up in the hills of the Talladega National Forest, but when times got tough in the winter they would move down along the river to find food. They had a taste for veal and would get calves right after they were born. The cattlemen wanted to eliminate them, and I guess they almost succeeded.

It was hard to knock one out of a tree with 6 shot, but once they hit the ground they belonged to the dog. He was part bulldog, and Bully hated a yahoo and they didn't last long on the ground. I wish I could've made a video of one of those fights, but of course no such technology existed back then.

All the labor of man is for his mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled.
Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: poorcountrypreacher] #1775013
07/01/16 02:57 AM
07/01/16 02:57 AM
central ala,
C
centralala Offline
14 point
centralala  Offline
14 point
C
central ala,
Originally Posted By: poorcountrypreacher
Originally Posted By: AUstan23
I was scouting/stalk hunting down a creek during December two years ago in hopes of finding a good crossing. This creek was about three lanes wide and had a lot of small sandbars. I walked out onto one sandbar to look at the deer tracks and noticed what I thought was a boot print. I thought well crap somebody else has the same idea I do (this was on public land), but after giving this thing a second look I can make out the first three toes of the print as well as a slight arch. My mind then went into what is somebody doing out here in thirty degree weather walking barefoot in a creek. I look further out on the sandbar and see the opposite footprint as well as a third footprint before it goes into thigh deep water. So not only is this person barefoot, but they must have got in the water. At this point I'm real confused, so I try to get a size one these things. To match the stride, I had to hop off one foot to reach the next footprint and the print itself was about the same size as my rubber boot which was roughly 14 inches by about 5.5 inches. On top of that, I could not get the same depth into the sand as these prints even if i jumped and pushed down hard upon landing. So this was a big, heavy barefooted man walking across a creek in thirty degree weather during deer season. I decided I didn't like this spot too much and walked back to the truck.

You saw the track of a young yahoo. Back when I was growing up near the Cahaba river we use to catch them when squirrel or coon hunting. We should have made some pics, but we had no idea they would later become such a big deal. Grandpa didn't care anything about them because they weren't fit to eat, but we always shot them out because the farmers hated them so much. They stunk worse than anything I've ever smelled.

My Grandpa thought they lived most of the year up in the hills of the Talladega National Forest, but when times got tough in the winter they would move down along the river to find food. They had a taste for veal and would get calves right after they were born. The cattlemen wanted to eliminate them, and I guess they almost succeeded.

It was hard to knock one out of a tree with 6 shot, but once they hit the ground they belonged to the dog. He was part bulldog, and Bully hated a yahoo and they didn't last long on the ground. I wish I could've made a video of one of those fights, but of course no such technology existed back then.

slap You and your yahoo's. grin

Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1775087
07/01/16 05:00 AM
07/01/16 05:00 AM
North Bama
demp17 Offline
10 point
demp17  Offline
10 point
North Bama
Chased turkey all morning at our old club up in Stevenson when I got to the far back corner of the property and got on a good gobbling bird around 11 am. Met my dad who wasn't far away and we setup on him and in about an hour get him kilt. Well on the way back to my dads 4 wheeler we hear a very loud explosion and felt the ground shake. I looked at dad and asked him just what in the heck that was and he said it sounded like the 4 wheeler blew up or miners were blasting out stuff at the coal mine. Well it was neither and we had no clue what it was. Fast forward 3 days and there was an earthquake that was centered in DeKalb County (2002 or 2003?). Dad calls a geology office up on Chattanooga later that week and they said there was a recorded "pre-quake" right under the mountain we were hunting on.

We are not perfect, only forgiven!!!
Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1775635
07/01/16 05:13 PM
07/01/16 05:13 PM
Pelham Al
T
Tigger85 Offline
12 point
Tigger85  Offline
12 point
T
Pelham Al
Had a big owl light on a limb beside me while on a ladder stand in Tuscaloosa County. Was hunting in a high fence club in a shooting house before daylight when all of a sudden the whole thing starts shaking. A Bison had slipped up behind me and decided he needed a scratch and was rubbing on the post of the house.

Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: jallencrockett] #1776907
07/03/16 07:04 PM
07/03/16 07:04 PM
Florida Panhandle
J
JTapia Offline
8 point
JTapia  Offline
8 point
J
Florida Panhandle
Didn't happen to me but a story as told by one of my old hunting partners Hank(RIP)

Hank was telling the story about how he came across a Parker-Hale 308. Hank has been known to embellish a story so I'm not really sure exactly how much is true.

Seems he had found a really hot scrape line of a Buck we all called the Homestead Buck. He said he set up in his climber about noon to wait on the monster buck to come back thru a check the scrapes.
After a couple of hours he said he heard bushes rustling and limbs cracking, he readied his gun for the shot when this man eased out of the gallberry thicket. Hank watched him stalk hunt up to about 50 feet from his climber. The fellow stood silent and motionless as a cypress tree for what seemed like another hour. Finally the hunter leaned his rifle against a pine tree and sat down against the same tree, took out a skin magazine and started thumbing thru the pages. Hank said he reckoned he found the pictures he wanted because the fella unzipped his britches and started vigorously choking his chicken.
Hank said it was like a fatal car wreck, he knew he shouldn't look but couldn't help himself. After a minute or two the fella finished and put away his willy and started to put away the skin magazine and that's when Hank hollered down asking him if he could borrow the magazine if he was through with it.
Hank said the fella jumped up and high tailed it outta there leaving the Parker-Hale 308 behind still leaning against the tree.
Hank climbed down after a half hour or so and the guy never came back after the rifle so Hank grabbed it expecting the feller to atlesst be waiting at the truck but nobody was there.
Hank posted a sign at the entrance of the dim road he was parked on saying that if you lost something in the woods call him and describe it. He never heard anything from anybody.
He still had that rifle when he passed away.

Hunt'em hard when they are hard to hunt but never, ever hardly hunt!
Re: Strangest thing that you have seen or happened to you while hunting? [Re: M48scout] #1776941
07/04/16 01:39 AM
07/04/16 01:39 AM
Boxes Cove
2Dogs Offline
Freak of Nature
2Dogs  Offline
Freak of Nature
Boxes Cove
Originally Posted By: M48scout
Who was it that posted that video of the naked dude running through the the woods? To me that takes the cake.

Foldemup and that is the winner.

"Why do you ask"?

Always vote the slowest path to socialism.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.