</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
2011 Toyota RAV4
by jsubrett6. 04/16/24 10:00 PM
Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters Edition
by Mbrock. 04/16/24 09:30 PM
44 Mag Ammo
by wew3006. 04/16/24 02:43 PM
Chevrolet Silverado - Low Miles
by Gulfcoast. 04/16/24 12:11 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Windy.com
by globe. 04/18/24 11:31 AM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by jdhunter2011. 04/17/24 11:42 AM
Corn planting need Cnc advise
by cartervj. 04/11/24 05:24 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
129 registered members (PossumPecker, Gulfcoast, dirtwrk, Bjoff27, dustymac, Captain Howdy, outdoorguy88, Shane99, Shmoe, MAG, dagwood, Tracker, Morris, BamaBoHunter, Lockjaw, scrape, Dixiepatriot, metalmuncher, znix123, BCLC, gman, Coosa buck, HBWALKER14, geeb1, centralala, CarbonClimber1, Rockstar007, Stoney, tombo51, wareagul, Bamarich2, Fishduck, Turkeyneck78, twaldrop4, BentBarrel, goodman_hunter, okfuski, akbejeepin, BamaGuitarDude, ken1970, k bush, globe, doc bar, XVIII, Hammertime7v2, zgobbler5, Jmfire722, TurkeyJoe, Chaser357, Bruno, IMISSALDEER, healy4au, HappyHunter, Turkeyhunter12, Floorman1, GomerPyle, Etyson, BAR1225, dave260rem!, Joe4majors, hunterturf, Jmoore77, BBD23, BigEd, CatfishJunkie, hunter84, Driveby, square, Sasquatch Lives, IDOT, Bandit635, scrubbuck, jhardy, DA_Outdoors, trlrdrdave, SC53, Obsession, BrentsFX4, Wildboar14, 7PTSPREAD, BC, 4Him146, Megacott, FreeStateHunter, deerchop, Hornet, Beer Belly, NWFJ, Wade, Big Game Hunter, JSanford1974, CKyleC, BCD, bfoote, Tree Dweller, Droptine-13, Cjunkin, leroycnbucks, abolt300, Justice, Narrow Gap, mathews prostaff, General, rkt, slippinlipjr, Sixpointholler, WPZJR, 300gr, Bushmaster, NVM1031, WhoMe, lefthorn, SEWoodsWhitetail, HHSyelper, Turberville, jsubrett6, fish_blackbass, Ridge Life, Powers, Turkey_neck, bamabeagler, 8 invisible), 642 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: lease cost [Re: bamabound] #1718284
04/17/16 10:17 AM
04/17/16 10:17 AM
Autauga County -Prattville
J
JRF Offline
4 point
JRF  Offline
4 point
J
We are lucky we have a gas line and power line on our place that we can plant but they allow us an acre for greenfields per hundred acres. As far as roads the only time they do any repair is when they need to get their trucks in and out.

Re: lease cost [Re: bamabound] #1718299
04/17/16 11:25 AM
04/17/16 11:25 AM
South Alabama
R
Rebelman Offline
Freak of Nature
Rebelman  Offline
Freak of Nature
R
South Alabama
Some hunters like to complain about roads but few understand that it only takes a couple of days on a Dozer to surpass majority of lease $$. Facts are, hunters causes damage to hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of road work each year. If hunters would respect the landowners roads, particularly by staying off of them when they are wet, they would last much longer. If companies held performance bonds on hunters like they do loggers, folks would be more cautious.

Re: lease cost [Re: bamabound] #1718331
04/17/16 12:52 PM
04/17/16 12:52 PM
J
JRF Offline
4 point
JRF  Offline
4 point
J
I'm not complaining about roads and I agree with you on the cost.For the timber company to keep them up because we've had to come out of pocket and fix them. And dozer works is not cheap But it's hard to tell a guy he can't hunt a area because roads are wet.

Re: lease cost [Re: JRF] #1718398
04/17/16 02:49 PM
04/17/16 02:49 PM
South Alabama
R
Rebelman Offline
Freak of Nature
Rebelman  Offline
Freak of Nature
R
South Alabama

Originally Posted By: JRF
IBut it's hard to tell a guy he can't hunt a area because roads are wet.

It is easy to tell someone they have to walk. If they kill a deer, then take a four wheeler or whatever to it.

Not picking on you or anyone in particular. Only saying that is how we do it on private land. I have seen fresh graded roads ruined because of hunters coming in and rutting them from the gate to the property line only because they paid their dues so they are going to use them roads, hell or high water.

Re: lease cost [Re: JRF] #1718418
04/17/16 03:12 PM
04/17/16 03:12 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
We are lucky we have a gas line and power line on our place that we can plant but they allow us an acre for greenfields per hundred acres. As far as roads the only time they do any repair is when they need to get their trucks in and out.

An acre for every hundred acres is a pretty good deal and shows the company appreciates the money the hunters are paying for the lease and are interested in wildlife management as a financial resource.

Life is too short to be small !!

http://crshuntingclub.webs.com/
Re: lease cost [Re: Rebelman] #1718430
04/17/16 03:18 PM
04/17/16 03:18 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
Originally Posted By: Rebelman
Some hunters like to complain about roads but few understand that it only takes a couple of days on a Dozer to surpass majority of lease $$. Facts are, hunters causes damage to hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of road work each year. If hunters would respect the landowners roads, particularly by staying off of them when they are wet, they would last much longer. If companies held performance bonds on hunters like they do loggers, folks would be more cautious.

It is true that people can be their own worst enemies when it comes to damaging roads and maybe a lot of hunters do not understand the cost of a dozier, but I am sure that most of us that lease land are well aware of the cost.

Re: lease cost [Re: Rebelman] #1718438
04/17/16 03:22 PM
04/17/16 03:22 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest

It is easy to tell someone they have to walk. If they kill a deer, then take a four wheeler or whatever to it.

Not picking on you or anyone in particular. Only saying that is how we do it on private land. I have seen fresh graded roads ruined because of hunters coming in and rutting them from the gate to the property line only because they paid their dues so they are going to use them roads, hell or high water.

We had a member do that one time after everyone was worned to stay off until it was dry. He was not allowed back hunting till he had someone come in a fix the road he screwed up........hasn't happened since wink

Last edited by bigt; 04/17/16 03:22 PM.

Re: lease cost [Re: Rebelman] #1718514
04/17/16 04:39 PM
04/17/16 04:39 PM
FL
mw2015 Offline
10 point
mw2015  Offline
10 point
FL

You will never satisfy everyone. Some roads get trashed using trucks instead of 4 wheelers or side by sides. So do u not let people use trucks? Some folks can't afford a 4 wheeler. If you're paying for a club or lease the timber company should ensure roads are accessible not perfect. However, I don't buy that timber company profits go out the windows by maintaining a basic roadway that is passable. My experience is that lease roads get trashed from logging trucks and equipment but that usually gets fixed by lessor or their agent who caused road damage not the lessee. I wouldn't expect to have a timber company fix a road that I trashed. If logging trucks trash it, they better pay to fix it. I'm not paying overpriced lease rates with no guarantees of game or to not be guaranteed reasonable access to the property.

To be frank, I'm contemplating not leasing any property in AL this year because I don't feel the lease rates are worthy of what u get. I don't feel the companies support lessees by providing enough information about properties beforehand or a realistic idea of what game is present. After being in a club last year where ten members didn't see a single deer, I'm cautious about dropping thousands of dollars in a lease or hunting club again. When ten members don't see a single deer all season on the same property, the problem is the land not ten people. That hunting club property is available for lease but with no sightings of deer or turkey last season, I honestly can't risk dropping almost $1700 on leasing it to hope the hunting is better next year. I truly have become disillusioned with hunting leases and feel that those who lease hunting properties only care about getting their payment. I don't believe they care about satisfied lessees because they can get someone else to lease a property if current lessee leaves. Someone is lined up so if you won't pay someone else will. It's all about companies and their agents getting their money and not educating and working with a lessee to ensure they make a good decision and are satisfied with their leased hunting property. I just can't justify dropping a couple of grand on land lease then have to pay another 40-50% for food plots, fertilizer, lime, license, etc and not see a single deer.

Re: lease cost [Re: bamabound] #1718762
04/18/16 05:26 AM
04/18/16 05:26 AM
Baldwin County
walt4dun Offline
6 point
walt4dun  Offline
6 point
Baldwin County
We lease from Rayonier. Im just a member so I don't know what it costs and dont care really. I just pay my dues and go have a good time. Which I do. And I kill critters. So Im happy.

Different companies have different policies and some are going to be more hunter friendly than others. I have learned to temper my expectations on all timber co property. You are simply getting the right to hunt, ie paying a trespass fee. Nothing else is given nor implied. Rayonier has been a lot better than Seven States / Molphus in regards to working with us on creating plots, road access, etc.

Im okay with the foodplot fee and I understand it. Seven States / Molphus would NOT allow us to make any decent size plot, even after I offered to pay them a foodplot fee, and this was in a fresh, unplanted clearcut! (Roller chopped & sprayed 500ac clearcut. Looked like the moon. Void of life.). Road access was terrible, there was no access at all to a 300ac block and another 100ac block had limited access which was a poacher's paradise for the singlewide trailer locals that backed up to it. When the man from Seven States / Molphus (who acted like a jerk about the issues we were having) called to ask for my renewal including a price increase, I told him NO THANKS!

Much happier simply being a member on Rayonier land.

Sure Id love to hunt some privately owned land on the river w/ bottomland, mixed hardwood uplands, burned longleaf pine stands, and ag fields.... < 1 hour from my house... Still looking for that. Leads appreciated via PM! I guess it gotta be timber co land till then. smile

Re: lease cost [Re: mw2015] #1719252
04/18/16 03:45 PM
04/18/16 03:45 PM
boaz
H
hawgwild Offline
10 point
hawgwild  Offline
10 point
H
boaz
Originally Posted By: mw2015

You will never satisfy everyone. Some roads get trashed using trucks instead of 4 wheelers or side by sides. So do u not let people use trucks? Some folks can't afford a 4 wheeler. If you're paying for a club or lease the timber company should ensure roads are accessible not perfect. However, I don't buy that timber company profits go out the windows by maintaining a basic roadway that is passable. My experience is that lease roads get trashed from logging trucks and equipment but that usually gets fixed by lessor or their agent who caused road damage not the lessee. I wouldn't expect to have a timber company fix a road that I trashed. If logging trucks trash it, they better pay to fix it. I'm not paying overpriced lease rates with no guarantees of game or to not be guaranteed reasonable access to the property.

To be frank, I'm contemplating not leasing any property in AL this year because I don't feel the lease rates are worthy of what u get. I don't feel the companies support lessees by providing enough information about properties beforehand or a realistic idea of what game is present. After being in a club last year where ten members didn't see a single deer, I'm cautious about dropping thousands of dollars in a lease or hunting club again. When ten members don't see a single deer all season on the same property, the problem is the land not ten people. That hunting club property is available for lease but with no sightings of deer or turkey last season, I honestly can't risk dropping almost $1700 on leasing it to hope the hunting is better next year. I truly have become disillusioned with hunting leases and feel that those who lease hunting properties only care about getting their payment. I don't believe they care about satisfied lessees because they can get someone else to lease a property if current lessee leaves. Someone is lined up so if you won't pay someone else will. It's all about companies and their agents getting their money and not educating and working with a lessee to ensure they make a good decision and are satisfied with their leased hunting property. I just can't justify dropping a couple of grand on land lease then have to pay another 40-50% for food plots, fertilizer, lime, license, etc and not see a single deer.
Couldn't of said it better myself

Re: lease cost [Re: Rebelman] #1719305
04/18/16 04:27 PM
04/18/16 04:27 PM
Satsuma, AL
R
Robert D. Offline
12 point
Robert D.  Offline
12 point
R
Satsuma, AL

Man if I could get the guys on my lease to understand this I could fix up a set of roads where you could hunt the whole place from a Cadillac car. Trouble is our place is PRAIRIE dirt. As gumbo as any place I've ever seen. As long as the water gets off and you wait until it dries a little, it's perfect. Nobody will though, and flat areas turn into a mud bog full of ruts.

They've all got side by sides and they all get high centered. I was gonna buy another one but I'll stick with my Honda Rancher. I can get it most anywhere and it's not so much trouble to unstick.

I've been in clubs that banned truck on the roads. ATV's and SxS only. I believe these SXS's tear up roads just as bad if not worse than my Tacoma.

I'm gonna do the best I can to get the roads fixed and crossings done. Trouble is they all think I'm a dumbass and none of my ideas are the right solutions. They may be right. We'll see.

I've got send enough to open turn outs and get water off roads that have a little elevation change but we've got a couple of places with a long flat stretch that have me puzzled as to what to do. I can run ditches down both sides and drag a turnout when I find a low place but I probably need a transit to identify which way to run the water.

Re: lease cost [Re: bamabound] #1734393
05/08/16 04:09 PM
05/08/16 04:09 PM
AL - Alabama
C
CASPER81 Offline
spike
CASPER81  Offline
spike
C
AL - Alabama
I also have a lease with 7 decent size plots on it with a few others but to protect the plots from forestry management activities or etc. Its $120 a acre or if we want to open new protected $160 acre with no cancel or way out in future. Luckily we have never so far had a issue with them as with the activities but clay is a pain in its on to grow things in.

Matt R.
Re: lease cost [Re: bamabound] #1737296
05/12/16 02:22 PM
05/12/16 02:22 PM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
At best there 3-4 that understand the true dollars and cents of this business in this thread, the rest are spouting emotional nonsense. I hate it too. I was part of the problem but it isn't going away.

Re: lease cost [Re: NightHunter] #1737398
05/12/16 04:08 PM
05/12/16 04:08 PM
FL
mw2015 Offline
10 point
mw2015  Offline
10 point
FL
Originally Posted By: NightHunter
At best there 3-4 that understand the true dollars and cents of this business in this thread, the rest are spouting emotional nonsense. I hate it too. I was part of the problem but it isn't going away.

What really grinds my gears Nighthunter is seeing a property listed with a map and no other info. Someone managing a property is on it regularly and should have a general idea of property and game on it. someone should at the least be able to say there are plentiful deer frequenting the property or there are some deer on the property or this is a trophy property priced higher than others. Put some meat on the internet listings. All this bs about asking for harvest records yet I've never seen or heard of a company offering to show me a harvest record for a property. It's all bs & lies to me. Frankly I don't trust any of the companies that lease hunting land including the ones on here or that lurk here and post on AFOA. The main issue is trust or a lack of it not emotion. I'll pay a fair price but expect to be given the whole story about the property before I lease it. Full disclosure ahead of time. How can you lease property and only state location, number of acres, and a map? What kind of game is on it? If you're a biologist and you lease properties you better tell me more than number of acres, location and a map. Even if you're not a biologist you have an idea of what kind of game is or isn't on a property you have up for lease.

Re: lease cost [Re: bamabound] #1737442
05/12/16 04:54 PM
05/12/16 04:54 PM
Holly Pond, AL
NightHunter Offline
10 point
NightHunter  Offline
10 point
Holly Pond, AL
Would you buy a truck or land without doing independent research? I agree there should be some basic info on food plots and the land but the lease agents shouldn't be held responsible for telling anyone what to expect from a deer quality standpoint. I put 10 guys on the best tract that Soterra had years ago and they killed one deer. He went 155 inches but that was their only harvest. They gave it up after one year. The next group killed and continue to kill some fantastic deer. When lease agents get involved in describing a tract, that gives folks an avenue to complain to superiors about it not being as described. Most companies choose to give basic info and let the lessee do their own background research.

Meant to say lessee last night.

Last edited by NightHunter; 05/13/16 07:25 AM.
Re: lease cost [Re: NightHunter] #1737645
05/13/16 04:57 AM
05/13/16 04:57 AM
B'ham
Goatkiller Offline
14 point
Goatkiller  Offline
14 point
B'ham
When lease agents get involved in describing a tract, that gives folks an avenue to complain to superiors about it not being as described. Most companies choose to give basic info and let the lessor do their own background research.

This.

If you get the short end of the stick try harder the next time.

No government employees were harmed in the making of this mess.
Re: lease cost [Re: bamabound] #1737769
05/13/16 07:17 AM
05/13/16 07:17 AM
A
abolt300 Online content
Booner
abolt300  Online Content
Booner
A
Guys, I'm certainly not a fan of the continued lease price increases as evidenced by my input on some of the previous threads. Let me say this, food plot fees are absolutely reasonable. That timber company is taking that land out of regular timber production which is the real $$ maker. Lets say that acre is planted in pines. First thinning they will get say $700 in pulp and at 25 years they will harvest merchantable timber at say $1,800/acre. (I havent checked timber spot prices in years so this is just an example so dont beat me up on the numbers i made them round to simplify the math for you geniuses) So in 25 years, that land has produced $2,500 in timber or $100/acre in value each year in timber production. If I as the leaseholder want it to be a foodplot, the timber company should be compensated for that loss of revenue. Log landings and non-plantable areas excluded. Next to the roads. Road work is expensive. Period. I run a site and utility company and doziers and road graders are expensive to maintain, deliver to locations, and run. After our roads are freshly graded and a little damp, I or someone else with good mud tires will take a truck in 4 wheel low and put a good straight set of shallow ruts all the way through the property. That way when it does get sloppy, you can stay in the ruts and center of the road without completely destroying it. Freshly graded and real wet, a hunting club with 6-10 guys can completely destroy a freshly graded road to the point that it has to be reworked from scratch, built up, recrowned, new turn outs, etc which is time and $$. Common sense goes a long way.

Re: lease cost [Re: mw2015] #1738063
05/13/16 02:44 PM
05/13/16 02:44 PM
Gulfcrest
bigt Offline
14 point
bigt  Offline
14 point
Gulfcrest
Originally Posted By: mw2015

What really grinds my gears Nighthunter is seeing a property listed with a map and no other info. Someone managing a property is on it regularly and should have a general idea of property and game on it. someone should at the least be able to say there are plentiful deer frequenting the property or there are some deer on the property or this is a trophy property priced higher than others. Put some meat on the internet listings. All this bs about asking for harvest records yet I've never seen or heard of a company offering to show me a harvest record for a property. It's all bs & lies to me. Frankly I don't trust any of the companies that lease hunting land including the ones on here or that lurk here and post on AFOA. The main issue is trust or a lack of it not emotion. I'll pay a fair price but expect to be given the whole story about the property before I lease it. Full disclosure ahead of time. How can you lease property and only state location, number of acres, and a map? What kind of game is on it? If you're a biologist and you lease properties you better tell me more than number of acres, location and a map. Even if you're not a biologist you have an idea of what kind of game is or isn't on a property you have up for lease.
I know of at least one that I can recommend that has proven trustworthy to me for a long time smile

Last edited by bigt; 05/13/16 02:44 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.