</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Carpet Installation Equipment
by hunter84. 03/27/24 07:12 AM
$20013hp all-power side shaft generator motor
by HollerHunter. 03/26/24 07:43 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Frankie. 03/28/24 12:50 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
116 registered members (NoHuntin, Fattyfireplug, AU7MM08, demp17, JLMiller, abamadude, JA, Ben2, bamaeyedoc, Shaneomac2, desertdog, foldemup, IDOT, BCLC, NotsoBright, Dubie, Holcomb, 3Gs, BradB, Goose, jarcher38, TwentySeven, GomerPyle, ferbama, cullbuck, WEMOhunter, billrv, Fishduck, Jotjackson, Semo, Joe4majors, DoubleB, CrappieMan, Squadron77, ts1979flh, Tree Dweller, aucountry, 7x57_Mauser, HollerHunter, sawdust, Dragfan66, CKyleC, MountainTopHunter, burbank, beeline08, CNC, Jweeks, longshot, Herdbull, Canterberry, Bruno, PanolaProductions, Reaper, jaredhunts, BigEd, Lockjaw, BamaFan64, CCC, jwalker77, oldbowhunter, bug54, bamacamp, hippi, joeml18, MMPineLevel, sbo1971, outdoorguy88, coldtrail, akbejeepin, Gunpowder, Shmoe, Forrestgump1, KnightRyder, bates2rw, Beer Belly, !shiloh!, Spec, cchoque93, HDS64, dawgdr, bigtbuttery, 7PTSPREAD, Mbrock, Standbanger, globe, Jmfire722, Chaser357, Remington270, sportrep, bamabeagler, hosscat, beerhunter, Floorman1, quailman, GATA87, brushwhacker, Beadlescomb, birdcarver, rrice0725, dtmwtp, Pinelevel Hunter, Frankie, Gut Pile 32, deerhunter_1, Turkeyneck78, dsmc, gatorbait154, doublefistful, cartervj, 7 invisible), 524 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1546908
12/03/15 03:37 PM
12/03/15 03:37 PM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL
And also a shock collar with a remote. That worked wonders too. Broke her of some bad habits real quick.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547235
12/03/15 06:28 PM
12/03/15 06:28 PM
Santa Rosa/Conecuh
hallb Offline
Booner
hallb  Offline
Booner
Santa Rosa/Conecuh
Yep excerise and an e-collar. They understand shock very well.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547379
12/04/15 03:01 AM
12/04/15 03:01 AM
South of 20/North of 10
North40R Offline
14 point
North40R  Offline
14 point
South of 20/North of 10
Naoh River Bottom Labs in Baldwin Co. is your best bet locally. I've been around several he's trained and they are all very well mannered dogs.

251-802-2952

Adopt the pace of nature, her secret is patience. Emerson
Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: SouthBamaSlayer] #1547478
12/04/15 04:29 AM
12/04/15 04:29 AM
Central Alabama
W
WIDGEON Offline
10 point
WIDGEON  Offline
10 point
W
Central Alabama
Originally Posted By: SouthBamaSlayer
And also a shock collar with a remote. That worked wonders too. Broke her of some bad habits real quick.

A E collar is a TOOL for training NOT a punishment.I don't agree with the clicker/treat type training. Get you a training program I like Smartworks use the OB and STICK to it and ALWAYS hold the dog in the highest standards. never let them get by with things they will take FULL advantage of that. Dogs are like kids they will do negitive things to seek attention.They want attention and will always seek out negative attention over positive. A good training program and plenty of exercise.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: hallb] #1547480
12/04/15 04:30 AM
12/04/15 04:30 AM
Central Alabama
W
WIDGEON Offline
10 point
WIDGEON  Offline
10 point
W
Central Alabama
Originally Posted By: hallb
Yep excerise and an e-collar. They understand shock very well.
They don't understand why your shocking them unless the OB is solid and conditioned.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547619
12/04/15 05:54 AM
12/04/15 05:54 AM
wedowee
daniel white Offline
Booner
daniel white  Offline
Booner
wedowee
IMO. It's just doing what any 6-7 month old lab does. Not sure what your wanting out of a lab puppy........

"You do and it will be the biggest mistake you ever made, you Texas brush popper" John Wayne
Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547627
12/04/15 06:00 AM
12/04/15 06:00 AM
Lamar
F
Fishduck Online content
6 point
Fishduck  Online Content
6 point
F
Lamar
Training a dog to be a good citizen is a time consuming commitment. As mentioned exercise is your friend. A tired dog is a good dog.

Putting on an e-collar & "shocking" your dog is certain to end in failure. Dogs have to be taught the correct behaviour not simply corrected. Worst case is you "shock" dog & dog bolts. Now dog learned to run away & training will be harder.

IMHO with your wife's broken ankle professional help seems in order. Noah or Jim would do a good job teaching obedience. Larry Key would also be a good choice. Next you & your wife will need to learn how, when & why to correct your dog with the e-collar.

Any of these guys will be happy to "show you the ropes". If you need contact info P.M. me. Have their numbers in my phone.

If you decide to train yourself, forget Petsmart and find a serious retriever trainer in your area. Most are happy to help. If no one is local buy a copy of Smartworks & at least take your dog through basic obedience & collar conditioning.

I would be happy to help but am in northwest AL & don't train professionally.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547630
12/04/15 06:01 AM
12/04/15 06:01 AM
FL
daylate Offline OP
10 point
daylate  Offline OP
10 point
FL
We have been doing the treat type training but as soon as you don't have a treat, the desirable behavior vanishes. My wife may disagree but it seems to me he instigates trouble now in an effort to get the treat thing going. As far as his baby teeth, I do believe he has finished teething although he still chews on everything he can get to. He does seem paranoid and trusts no one outside of my wife, my daughter, and me.

I have to say that it is beginning to look like we need to get him in a more robust training program than the 1 hour a week at PetSmart thing. I know that is just so we are taught what to do at home but I think we need more outside help. The advice from you guys on this thread is very helpful.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547646
12/04/15 06:13 AM
12/04/15 06:13 AM
FL
daylate Offline OP
10 point
daylate  Offline OP
10 point
FL
I really think we have a good dog to work with, it's just that we were unprepared and inexperienced. The good thing is he is still very young and we are determined to get him the best training we can so that he is a happy dog and we are a happy family.

I might take this dog bird hunting (doves and wood ducks) after we get some help and if he calms down enough to sit with me in the field. He focuses on every bird that flies by and you can see he has great potential there. He sees birds that are so high I would never have noticed them.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547647
12/04/15 06:14 AM
12/04/15 06:14 AM
Lamar
F
Fishduck Online content
6 point
Fishduck  Online Content
6 point
F
Lamar
Looked up Mossy Pond. Brad is an excellent trainer! We don't see him much in this circuit so I didn't recognize the kennel name.

Treat training is great to teach desired behavior. At this stage the dog finds the unwanted behaviour more rewarding than the treats. Formalizing obedience with compulsion based training is the next step.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547656
12/04/15 06:22 AM
12/04/15 06:22 AM
FL
daylate Offline OP
10 point
daylate  Offline OP
10 point
FL
Yes, we have talked to Brad and really like his operation but it is just too far away for us. My wife would be miserable going 3 months (his obedience training lasts 3 months) being 5 hours away from her puppy. Nice to hear there are closer options.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547734
12/04/15 07:26 AM
12/04/15 07:26 AM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL
Not sure why you guys say e-collars don't work. It worked great with my lab. You don't just shock them when they misbehave, you show them the proper way to behave and reward them for it. It's the same thing as typical reward/punishment training, it just comes with a little shock that gets there attention. Dog runs off, shock it and call it back. Dog comes back, it gets a treat. Dog won't stop barking, command it to stop and shock it, dog stops barking, give it a treat. Same concept as house breaking. Dog pees in the house, put its nose in it and discipline it, then take it outside to show it where it's supposed to happen. E-collars work great if you know what you're doing.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547757
12/04/15 07:49 AM
12/04/15 07:49 AM
Lamar
F
Fishduck Online content
6 point
Fishduck  Online Content
6 point
F
Lamar
I didn't read anything about e-collars not working. Just advice on how to properly use them.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: SouthBamaSlayer] #1547779
12/04/15 08:07 AM
12/04/15 08:07 AM
Central Alabama
W
WIDGEON Offline
10 point
WIDGEON  Offline
10 point
W
Central Alabama
Not sure why you guys say e-collars don't work. It worked great with my lab. You don't just shock them when they misbehave, you show them the proper way to behave and reward them for it. It's the same thing as typical reward/punishment training, it just comes with a little shock that gets there attention. Dog runs off, shock it and call it back. Dog comes back, it gets a treat. Dog won't stop barking, command it to stop and shock it, dog stops barking, give it a treat. Same concept as house breaking. Dog pees in the house, put its nose in it and discipline it, then take it outside to show it where it's supposed to happen. E-collars work great if you know what you're doing.

I didn't say they don't just stating most using them wrong. I have a Master Level Lab. She is collar condition, I run her with a E collar 90% of the time I can use a tone to correct her and not a stimulation. Sorry Bama your training methods are not very affective. House breaking you don't allow the dog to ever use the bathroom in the house,yes accidents happen, but 90% of the time its the owners fault. Always take a pup out when the wake up,after they eat and drink and I always take them out every 45 mins, Then after a few weeks I up it to a hr, and so on for a few months. Then the pup knows. As its doing its business out side depending I use that word Pee or Poop. Every dog Ive owned and train will go on command. I never rub its nose in it. They don't understand. If they do go inside and I catch them I say NO. They will get the hang of it quickly. Its easier to lock them in a tile room and put down puppy pads.Thats saying its ok to go in the house.I never correct a dog with a ecollar on house breaking.I'e trained 3 Labs myself to Senior to Master levels.Mine are 100% house broken,mine do not chew on things except for Nylabones. Mine are VERY well behaved when company is around. And only bark when something is not right which I allow and want. MY lil dog she is sassy and mouthy and never was able to break her of that,but we love her anyways. Always hold them to the highest standards and NEVER let them slide or get by with something they will abuse it and try to get with other things as well.

Last edited by WIDGEON; 12/04/15 08:10 AM.
Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1547797
12/04/15 08:16 AM
12/04/15 08:16 AM
Greensboro,Al.USA
Geezer Offline
12 point
Geezer  Offline
12 point
Greensboro,Al.USA
E-collars work in the right hands. I used to train with a guy that if he had a bad day at the office his dog was in for a really bad time training. An electric collar can destroy a good dog if not done right. I know I have seen it happen.

I am drinking from my saucer cause my cup has overflowed. Thank you Lord
Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: WIDGEON] #1547800
12/04/15 08:18 AM
12/04/15 08:18 AM
Mobile, AL
S
SouthBamaSlayer Offline
Gary's Fluffer
SouthBamaSlayer  Offline
Gary's Fluffer
S
Mobile, AL
Originally Posted By: WIDGEON

I didn't say they don't just stating most using them wrong. I have a Master Level Lab. She is collar condition, I run her with a E collar 90% of the time I can use a tone to correct her and not a stimulation. Sorry Bama your training methods are not very affective. House breaking you don't allow the dog to ever use the bathroom in the house,yes accidents happen, but 90% of the time its the owners fault. Always take a pup out when the wake up,after they eat and drink and I always take them out every 45 mins, Then after a few weeks I up it to a hr, and so on for a few months. Then the pup knows. As its doing its business out side depending I use that word Pee or Poop. Every dog Ive owned and train will go on command. I never rub its nose in it. They don't understand. If they do go inside and I catch them I say NO. They will get the hang of it quickly. Its easier to lock them in a tile room and put down puppy pads.Thats saying its ok to go in the house.I never correct a dog with a ecollar on house breaking.I'e trained 3 Labs myself to Senior to Master levels.Mine are 100% house broken,mine do not chew on things except for Nylabones. Mine are VERY well behaved when company is around. And only bark when something is not right which I allow and want. MY lil dog she is sassy and mouthy and never was able to break her of that,but we love her anyways. Always hold them to the highest standards and NEVER let them slide or get by with something they will abuse it and try to get with other things as well.

I didn't say that's the whole process of how I house break my dogs. It's only part of it. I agree they should be taken out in intervals and that accidents can happen.

Have you ever considered that there are multiple ways to train a dog? And that your way isn't necessarily the only way? Because it doesn't seem like it. I congratulate you on have master level labs, it's an accomplishment, but not everyone wants, needs, or has the opportunity/time to achieve that. My training way worked well for my lab, and it may work for his. Yours will probably work well for his lab as well, but don't tell people their training ways are ineffective when they have a good dog and obviously are effective.

Last edited by SouthBamaSlayer; 12/04/15 08:18 AM.
Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: SouthBamaSlayer] #1547818
12/04/15 08:30 AM
12/04/15 08:30 AM
Central Alabama
W
WIDGEON Offline
10 point
WIDGEON  Offline
10 point
W
Central Alabama
Originally Posted By: WIDGEON

I didn't say that's the whole process of how I house break my dogs. It's only part of it. I agree they should be taken out in intervals and that accidents can happen.

Have you ever considered that there are multiple ways to train a dog? And that your way isn't necessarily the only way? Because it doesn't seem like it. I congratulate you on have master level labs, it's an accomplishment, but not everyone wants, needs, or has the opportunity/time to achieve that. My training way worked well for my lab, and it may work for his. Yours will probably work well for his lab as well, but don't tell people their training ways are ineffective when they have a good dog and obviously are effective.

Ive trained each with a different program, So yes I know there is. No not everyone wants a Hunting or Hunt test dog. But OB should be the same for whatever type of dog you want.Unless you want a out of control dog. That was my point. A dog does not know it has to be taught, after it is taught then it knows, and then you can correct it.Lardy, Evan Graham, 10 min retriever as well as others are great programs,but the OB part are all usually very close.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daniel white] #1548201
12/04/15 01:47 PM
12/04/15 01:47 PM
Spanish Fort
O
ozarktroutbum Offline
10 point
ozarktroutbum  Offline
10 point
O
Spanish Fort
Originally Posted By: daniel white
IMO. It's just doing what any 6-7 month old lab does. Not sure what your wanting out of a lab puppy........

I was thinking the same thing. Yours might be a little on the wired side but I'd bet this is the worst of it. I betcha exercise and neutering will go a long way with your dog.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1548623
12/05/15 12:46 AM
12/05/15 12:46 AM
Lamar
F
Fishduck Online content
6 point
Fishduck  Online Content
6 point
F
Lamar
The dog may be a normal lab pup. However the dog broke his wife's ankle. When dogs hurt people then something has to change.

Re: Out of control chocolate lab puppy. Need advice. [Re: daylate] #1552958
12/08/15 07:00 AM
12/08/15 07:00 AM
FL
daylate Offline OP
10 point
daylate  Offline OP
10 point
FL
I have now noticed a big improvement with his behavior toward me since he was neutered. Still, we have decided we need help and I will update this thread once we decide where we are going to pursue additional training.

Thanks for all the advice.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.