</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Lowrance Ghost or 24v Ultrex
by bradbathome. 03/28/24 08:17 PM
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Mbrock. 03/28/24 08:56 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (Morris, M48scout, Tree Hanger, TexasHuntress, woodduck, kodiak06, Forrestgump1, Parker243, BCLC, IDOT, 1hunter, akbejeepin, Canterberry, RidgeRanger, mathews prostaff, WhoMe, sw1002, desertdog, jaydub12, slipperyrock, Mjh97, AUdeer88, SEWoodsWhitetail, RareBreed, Turkey_neck, Hunting-231, TamaDrumhead, CAL, Turkey, JustHunt, Claims Rep., 5 invisible), 378 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: goodman_hunter] #1404427
07/31/15 04:57 AM
07/31/15 04:57 AM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted By: goodman_hunter
Make sure its acredited. There's alot of home school programs that basically are just good for high school diploma and arnt acredited toward college classes.

Good point. Those "diplomas" from non accredited programs don't mean a thing to employers either, if they check. When doing background checks on potential police officers, I learned the hard way. APOSTC refused to accept a couple of them, so they were not allowed in a police academy until they passed the GED. One never passed his GED. After that, if someone applied and presented a diploma from someplace I had not heard of before, I checked. Then after one applicant got caught forging his name on his brother's diploma, I started checking all of them.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: Phil_Army] #1404432
07/31/15 05:02 AM
07/31/15 05:02 AM
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
Originally Posted By: Phil_Army
Probably gonna be hated for saying this but we need true Christian kids in public schools and private schools. How are you going to be the salt and light in the world if you stay at home?
Respectfully, there is absolutely NO WAY I could disagree more with your premise. On a limited basis, and with more age and more spiritual wisdom, I expose my children more and more to the evils of this world that they may learn to stand on the firm foundation of Christ that they have had (safely) imparted to them. When they are fully academically ready, and more importantly spiritually prepared, to venture out into this evil world and stand firm...then their mother and I will turn them out accordingly. But like a solider that requires much training before being led into battle, so it goes with my children. Christ Jesus didn't choose and send young children to confront the evils of this world (and if you believe the public schools aren't FLAT FULL of evil then you aren't paying attention) and nor will my children be challenged with such a task. They simply aren't fully prepared....yet.

I have been involved in various aspects of teenage, college aged, and young professional ministry for a bunch of years now. Like you mentioned, I'm probably going to be hated for saying this as well, but there is ABSOLUTELY a correlation between public school educated children and apathy toward the things of God as an adult (for the record, I am looking in the mirror when I say that as well). Are there exceptions? Of course there are. But I have ministered to hundreds of recent, public school educated children of Godly parents who are now young adults......and they live their lives EXACTLY like those of unbelievers. You simply can't tell them apart in their life actions. And it is one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed. Current day public schools are tools of the progressives/liberals/aetheists in this country for infiltrating the hearts and minds of children.....and if I have to shovel manure for 16 hours a day to avoid them at all costs on my 4 children's behalves, I will do so with a smile on my face.

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters
Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1404434
07/31/15 05:06 AM
07/31/15 05:06 AM
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
You have made a wise decision hopper35005. God bless you and your family as you guys dive in on the homeschooling front. thumbup

"The only reason I shoot a 3.5" shell for turkeys is because they don't make a 4" one." - t123winters
Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1404435
07/31/15 05:09 AM
07/31/15 05:09 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
Hopper,

One thing we have not talked about is "how" to start home schooling.

In Alabama there are only 3 legal options to "home school":

1. Option 1--Join a church based cover/umbrella school. Typically this is a church that has set up a home schooling program as a ministry arm through the church. Some churches might also run a private Christian school as well. The church is basically the administration for parent directed education. They handle enrollment, paperwork, keep record of attendance and grades, etc... Some cover schools do the bare minimum and some are very top shelf and organized. Think of it as a liaison between you and the state and also as a facilitator of any state requirements than may apply. Some schools offer labs, classes, co-ops, full sports that play seasons in various athletic conferences, career guidance, diploma programs, accredited, etc... Wide variety for you to find the right fit.

Hope Christian School in Alabaster/Pelham serves the Birmingham area and is probably the largest group in the state. This is who we go through. This is a full service cover school with clubs, sports, co-op classes, labs, full admin work, accredited, sending kids to college all over the nation every year. Example: as my boys are entering high school, we have signed them up for classes on advanced math and science. They are taught 2 days a week by a college professor, then do their work at home on the off days. We still handle English, History and the non-technical classes at home. We use a wide variety of curriculum, tailored to each child and what works best for them. Trial and error on curriculum.

There are multiple choices in and around B'ham and Jefferson County and Central Alabama. Call a school, go meet with admin and they can walk you through what to do. Different cover schools has different ways of doing things, different personalities, different offerings. Some have lots of extracurricular clubs and full sports programs, some don't do anything like that at all. Find your best fit.

2. Option 2 is joining a Private School with a parent directed option/home school option. A new law was passed in 2014 that opened up the door for church schools and private schools to break away from many state mandates and it openly recognizes home schooling now as protected.

Link for more information: http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/al/201404080.asp

3.. Go through a Private, certified Tutor. This is option #3. The parent can get certified or you can hire a certified private tutor. With this option you do not have to go through a cover/umbrella school. On an island, on your own, dealing directly with the state on requirements.

Resources:

CHEF Alabama is a great resource on curriculum, how to home school, list of schools, etc...
https://www.homeschool-life.com/al/chefofalabama/

Other links for lists of schools:
http://northalabamahomeeducators.freeservers.com/schools.html

http://www.leapingfromthebox.com/hs/alhschurchcover.html Click on statewide and also local coverage for a full listing.

Curriculum links:

http://www.homeschool.com/

http://www.rainbowresource.com/catalog.php

Last edited by straycat; 07/31/15 05:27 AM.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1404456
07/31/15 05:25 AM
07/31/15 05:25 AM
Cullman
C
CKyleC Offline
(Can't Keep It Up...)
CKyleC  Offline
(Can't Keep It Up...)
C
Cullman
Originally Posted By: hopper35005
Kids don't stand and recite the pledge anymore, kids get sent to the office for blessing their food before lunch, my kids are in the 4th and 5th grade, they don't even get to have recess on the playground...instead they have computer time. Both of my children make the honor roll every year. I am just fed up with what public school has become.

Individual kids don't stand and pledge, or the school doesn't do it anymore? I'd be interested to know what school doesn't say the pledge.

Nothing says your kid can't pray at school.

"In Alabama, we prefer to kill small bucks on big properties"-Turkey247
Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: JUGHEAD] #1404460
07/31/15 05:28 AM
07/31/15 05:28 AM
mobile
C
charlie Offline
12 point
charlie  Offline
12 point
C
mobile
Agree Jughead.

Originally Posted By: JUGHEAD
Probably gonna be hated for saying this but we need true Christian kids in public schools and private schools. How are you going to be the salt and light in the world if you stay at home?
Respectfully, there is absolutely NO WAY I could disagree more with your premise. On a limited basis, and with more age and more spiritual wisdom, I expose my children more and more to the evils of this world that they may learn to stand on the firm foundation of Christ that they have had (safely) imparted to them. When they are fully academically ready, and more importantly spiritually prepared, to venture out into this evil world and stand firm...then their mother and I will turn them out accordingly. But like a solider that requires much training before being led into battle, so it goes with my children. Christ Jesus didn't choose and send young children to confront the evils of this world (and if you believe the public schools aren't FLAT FULL of evil then you aren't paying attention) and nor will my children be challenged with such a task. They simply aren't fully prepared....yet.

I have been involved in various aspects of teenage, college aged, and young professional ministry for a bunch of years now. Like you mentioned, I'm probably going to be hated for saying this as well, but there is ABSOLUTELY a correlation between public school educated children and apathy toward the things of God as an adult (for the record, I am looking in the mirror when I say that as well). Are there exceptions? Of course there are. But I have ministered to hundreds of recent, public school educated children of Godly parents who are now young adults......and they live their lives EXACTLY like those of unbelievers. You simply can't tell them apart in their life actions. And it is one of the saddest things I have ever witnessed. Current day public schools are tools of the progressives/liberals/aetheists in this country for infiltrating the hearts and minds of children.....and if I have to shovel manure for 16 hours a day to avoid them at all costs on my 4 children's behalves, I will do so with a smile on my face.

Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: jawbone] #1404484
07/31/15 05:55 AM
07/31/15 05:55 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL

Originally Posted By: jawbone
Make sure its acredited. There's alot of home school programs that basically are just good for high school diploma and arnt acredited toward college classes.

Good point. Those "diplomas" from non accredited programs don't mean a thing to employers either, if they check. When doing background checks on potential police officers, I learned the hard way. APOSTC refused to accept a couple of them, so they were not allowed in a police academy until they passed the GED. One never passed his GED. After that, if someone applied and presented a diploma from someplace I had not heard of before, I checked. Then after one applicant got caught forging his name on his brother's diploma, I started checking all of them.

Jawbone, make sure you aren't breaking a new State law passed in 2014. Senate Bill 38, enacted in April 2014, Assigned Act No. 2014-245. Removes regulations from private and church schools. GED is no longer required for any church school or private school (classified as a non-public school) to be enrolled in AL public colleges. These schools are now recognized by the state and DO NOT have to be approved or certified by the State Dept of Education. So a diploma from them counts just like a diploma from a public school. There is no REQUIRED accreditation process by the State of Alabama for these schools, just standards set by law on what subject must be taught, attendance and admin requirements.

FYI: Making a private school educated student or church based home school student go through different standards might be discrimination, now under the new law. Colleges can no longer hold them to different standards...not sure how it might impact employers, so you may want to check on that.

Links for you.
http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/al/201404080.asp

https://legiscan.com/AL/bill/SB38/2014

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1404487
07/31/15 05:58 AM
07/31/15 05:58 AM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
I think what Phil meant, and I agree with him is that schools, public and private, could benefit from more Christian students to act as witnesses to His glory. You can't minister to the needy if you don't go out there among them and kids respond best to their peers. Is there a risk in this? Yes, absolutely, but that is where raising them right and trusting them to do the right things comes in to play. A lot of praying for them helps also.

Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: straycat] #1404492
07/31/15 06:04 AM
07/31/15 06:04 AM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted By: straycat

Jawbone, make sure you aren't breaking a new State law passed in 2014. Senate Bill 38, enacted in April 2014, Assigned Act No. 2014-245. Removes regulations from private and church schools. GED is no longer required for any church school or private school (classified as a non-public school) to be enrolled in AL public colleges. These schools are now recognized by the state and DO NOT have to be approved or certified by the State Dept of Education. So a diploma from them counts just like a diploma from a public school. There is no REQUIRED accreditation process by the State of Alabama for these schools, just standards set by law on what subject must be taught, attendance and admin requirements.

FYI: Making a private school educated student or church based home school student go through different standards might be discrimination, now under the new law. Colleges can no longer hold them to different standards...not sure how it might impact employers, so you may want to check on that.

Links for you.
http://www.hslda.org/hs/state/al/201404080.asp

https://legiscan.com/AL/bill/SB38/2014

Actually the Alabama Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission sets the standards on what they will accept and what they won't. I'm not involved in it any more, but when I was, we just went by what they used. Generally, a school was OK. They just wouldn't accept online "diplomas" from places that when asked, admitted their accreditation came from themselves. If APOSTC won't let you in an academy, no point in hiring you.

Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: jawbone] #1404528
07/31/15 06:45 AM
07/31/15 06:45 AM
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
I think what Phil meant, and I agree with him is that schools, public and private, could benefit from more Christian students to act as witnesses to His glory. You can't minister to the needy if you don't go out there among them and kids respond best to their peers. Is there a risk in this? Yes, absolutely, but that is where raising them right and trusting them to do the right things comes in to play. A lot of praying for them helps also.
I fully understand his point (and prior to having children, shared that point of view), but I simply don't agree that it has been fully vetted with current day (today's public schools are NOTHING like they were even when I was a child and I am only 40 years old), Godly wisdom. I can begin to get behind (a little bit anyway) such a notion as what Phil proposed when we start talking about a child that is 15 or 16 years old and has been a believer for years, has spiritually matured well above his or her peers, and has been saturated with a Biblical worldview and the Word via Christian education. As a point of reference, King David is the earliest example of God ordained, evil confrontation that you will find in God's word when he confronted Goliath at the approximate age of 15 or 16.

However, tossing a 6, 7, 10, 12 year old kid, often times ones that don't even have a personal relationship with Christ yet, much less a developed one, into a lion's den of evil influence and secular, conflicting worldview isn't doing them any favors whatsoever during their formative years in my humble opinion. As for me and my house, because I care deeply about their spiritual development (way more than their academic development though the private school my children now attend, post-early year homeschooling, is far, far more challenging than local public schools), my children will continue to be "trained up" for a season that extends until they are at least out of high school and not a day before.

I am well aware that public schools would benefit from the presence of children like mine (and yours and any others that are believers), but I simply can't come up with a Biblical basis for placing before my children, still in Christian infancy, the challenge of standing firm against evil on all sides in the form of progressive/aetheistic curriculum, progressive/aetheistic teachers, and hellion students that are products of broken homes, unbridled use of the internet and television, zero father involvement, and any and every other form of evil that you can fathom. I praise God in Heaven for Christian teachers that continue to fight the good fight within the public school system, along with Christian students, but they fight against a tidal wave of evil influence that they simply can't fully combat. That's just reality and my children aren't gonna be called upon to do the same.

Last edited by JUGHEAD; 07/31/15 06:47 AM.

Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1404558
07/31/15 07:13 AM
07/31/15 07:13 AM
mobile
C
charlie Offline
12 point
charlie  Offline
12 point
C
mobile
Jesus didn't even go out into the world to preach until he was 30.

Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1404573
07/31/15 07:37 AM
07/31/15 07:37 AM
Al
M
metalmessiah Offline
12 point
metalmessiah  Offline
12 point
M
Al
if youre already shellng out $2400 per year Forestdale Baptist School would be a K-6 option worth considering in your area. I believe they handle home school curriculum as an accredited umbrella school as well. if nothing else they would be very helpful with any information you might need in getting started. give them a call at 205-798-1248. Mrs Janice Gibbons does a heck of a job running the school.

Go with the flow and you will end up down the drain!
Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1404610
07/31/15 08:26 AM
07/31/15 08:26 AM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
There are good point on both sides of the issue. I guess in the end it all depends on how comfortable you feel in your child's faith and how comfortable you feel with the school, its administrators and your child's teacher. My wife, for example, would quit her job of 24 years before she would teach 2nd graders anything that goes against her Christian principles.

Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: jawbone] #1404644
07/31/15 08:58 AM
07/31/15 08:58 AM
Huntsville
JUGHEAD Offline
Booner
JUGHEAD  Offline
Booner
Huntsville
My wife, for example, would quit her job of 24 years before she would teach 2nd graders anything that goes against her Christian principles.
God bless your precious wife. She is a HERO in my humble opinion to deal with what she has to deal with on a bureaucratic level, yet she still stands upon Christian principles. I wish every single one of them were just like her. Given that I did not grow up in a Christian home, I am eternally grateful for the Godly influence that I received in the public school system via Christian educators as their influences DEFINITELY contributed to my eventual decision to follow Christ.

Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: JUGHEAD] #1404657
07/31/15 09:08 AM
07/31/15 09:08 AM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted By: JUGHEAD
My wife, for example, would quit her job of 24 years before she would teach 2nd graders anything that goes against her Christian principles.
God bless your precious wife. She is a HERO in my humble opinion to deal with what she has to deal with on a bureaucratic level, yet she still stands upon Christian principles. I wish every single one of them were just like her. Given that I did not grow up in a Christian home, I am eternally grateful for the Godly influence that I received in the public school system via Christian educators as their influences DEFINITELY contributed to my eventual decision to follow Christ.

Of course it is easier on her because it a rural area where most residents claim Christianity as their religion and she doesn't have to get into material like sex ed, evolution and other social issues. It is at that point that it is important that our children have already been exposed to the teachings of Jesus. She got her masters in early childhood for the very reason that she wouldn't have to teach beyond 3rd grade.

Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1404708
07/31/15 10:00 AM
07/31/15 10:00 AM
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
Southwood7 Offline
Booner
Southwood7  Offline
Booner
Past Ol’ man Finley’s plac...
What I am reading in this thread is people who homeschool raving about how wonderful it is. You arent going to hear any negative comments from people who homeschool their children because they truly believe that is Gods plan for their children. I support and applaud you for your decision. However in my opinion some of you are are overzealous in your criticism of the public school system.

Last edited by Southwood7; 07/31/15 07:29 PM.

The Spirit of God has made me; the breath of the Almighty gives me life.
Job 33:4
Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1404801
07/31/15 11:52 AM
07/31/15 11:52 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
There is much to rave about, but there most definitely are some negatives or cons, which several of us listed a few.

I can only speak for myself, but my family has been blessed with the ability to be able to have my wife stay at home and for us to be able to personally direct our children's education. For us it is a God thing 100%, because it is not easy...but it is our calling.

This topic of home school vs. public school has come up repeatedly over the years on Aldeer. I try not to see it as a competition...which is better, which is worse. But as soon as I say that, I'm reminded of what our public school institutions have become and I do see the negative secular worldly influence that is gaining ground. Broad brush I know, because there are individual teachers, individual classrooms and even entire schools that are exceptions. These exceptions are still operating and teaching like "old school" schools did and have not yet succumbed to the progressive indoctrination. I thank God for that and them!

The vast majority of Christian thinking home school families have a common bond, their primary purpose---they seek to focus on building Godly character in their children first and foremost. Academics and learning is very important, just not #1. Letting a government school and peers have that role and intimate influence for 5 days a week for over 180 days a year just doesn't assist in their primary purpose--according to them. For me, I'll not trust others to what God gave to me as my role. In no way does that mean that Christian families who use public schools do not have the same purpose...not at all. But for those called to home schooling it doesn't equate well for them and their children. This is the rub I think.

Home schooling parents rave on about it (myself included at times) and non home school parents assume we are judging them or looking down on them for their choices. Some might, but I don't. To be honest though, in full disclosure, I don't think enough public school parents fully understand how schools have changed or understand what is being taught in many schools. Exceptions, yes.

Flip side...too many home school parents jump ship to avoid issues and they don't focus on academics enough and do their kids a disservice. So you have kids that are not ready and prepared for the work force. But I find these are most definitely the exceptions.

I said before in a thread to something DW said, that Christian parents who do use public schools have extra work to do at home to undo the negatives and falsehoods the kids are taught in school or pick up from their peers. But that has always been the case...the secular world is a bad influence no matter whee you go to school. We are called to be vigilant in teaching and training our children in the fear and admonition of the Lord and on what is Right, True, Noble, Just and Honorable as revealed in His Word.

Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: Phil_Army] #1404815
07/31/15 12:12 PM
07/31/15 12:12 PM
Coffee Co, AL
J
jlccoffee Offline
14 point
jlccoffee  Offline
14 point
J
Coffee Co, AL

The Bible says we are to be salt and light in the world. The school system is not the world. In fact, the school system is very separated from the world and nothing like the world I have seen since I graduated from school.

Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1406687
08/03/15 05:51 AM
08/03/15 05:51 AM
Hueytown
M
MANGLER Offline
2016 Moderator of the Year
MANGLER  Offline
2016 Moderator of the Year
M
Hueytown
There are some really good public school teachers on this site I'm met some of them that taught my children.

One day the right woman will come along and the next thing you know you'll be wearing her underwear!
Re: homeschooling maybe [Re: hopper35005] #1406710
08/03/15 06:29 AM
08/03/15 06:29 AM
Florida
J
jacannon Offline
10 point
jacannon  Offline
10 point
J
Florida
The ABECKA system works and it should be used in public schools. My 2 cents...

Grandma said...Always keep a gun close at hand, you just never know when you might run across some varmint that needs killing...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.