</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
2011 Toyota RAV4
by jsubrett6. 04/16/24 10:00 PM
Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters Edition
by Mbrock. 04/16/24 09:30 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by top cat. 04/18/24 07:33 PM
Windy.com
by Pwyse. 04/18/24 04:47 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by jdhunter2011. 04/17/24 11:42 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
127 registered members (kyles, Rebelhunter_21, Daniel4191, BigA47, BrentsFX4, 3006bullet, Guru, HURRICANE, DThrash, FurFlyin, fish251, Scdoghunter667, Mike0360, bamabeagler, Bronco 74, top cat, CrappieMan, Bandit635, thayerp81, CNC, Gunner211, JustHunt, Tall Dog, Mbrock, Ol’Tom, NoHuntin, HawkPilot, BatesConst, beetrapper, Bulls eye, jawbone, Fattyfireplug, JAT, akbejeepin, jhardy, limabean, gobblebox, Big AL 76, brianr, nate409, deerfeeder89, BCLC, Okatuppa, Buckshot77, woodduck, Beadlescomb, BigEd, crenshawco, AU338MAG, Bmyers142, low wall, Tigger85, Hunter454, Bustinbeards, rrice0725, Bar270, Bread, Ryano, HoofNSpur, desertdog, MarksOutdoors, scrape, DuckDown11, ImThere, hunterturf, Chipnalong, Mansfield, CatHeadBiscuit, Gobble4me757, 300gr, coldtrail, TEM, DoeMaster, JCL, Chiller, mossyback, Herbie, Etyson, dwaugh, CCC, C3SEAST, Bamajoz, k bush, Butchman205, garyc, Robert D., Whild_Bill, capehorn24, GATA87, aucivil, hallb, Skullworks, 700ltr308, goodman_hunter, TravisBatey, AJones, Rooster600, cullbuck, wareagul, UARandy3, 000buck, Drycreek, Johnal3, lefthorn, Safetyman, trlrdrdave, Turkey, Ron A., Flyliner, cmontgomery, Dekalb123, MikeP, jmj120, hamma, sj22, NotsoBright, 11 invisible), 627 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: New limit [Re: Lancecaller] #1161387
11/24/14 08:40 AM
11/24/14 08:40 AM
huntin the big lease
T
Turkeymaster Offline
8 point
Turkeymaster  Offline
8 point
T
huntin the big lease
it would break my heart if I couldn't have the opportunity to kill 5 turkeys a year. I've made it a point to have access to enough pieces of property to consistently get it done. Not only will it be taking food from my belly but money from my wallet. Because not only are they going to lower the limit, they will shorten our season as well, which means less hunters I get to take. And to top it off it won't be as rewarding to reply: yea "I've killed my limit" if I'm only talking about 3 birds

"All is fair in love, War and Turkey Hunting"
Re: New limit [Re: Lancecaller] #1161399
11/24/14 08:48 AM
11/24/14 08:48 AM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
Happy Birthday N2TRKYS  Offline
Booner
Tuscaloosa Co.
Y'all kill me with the no biological reason debate.

83% of all statistics are made up.

Re: New limit [Re: teamduckdown] #1161522
11/24/14 10:21 AM
11/24/14 10:21 AM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
Originally Posted By: teamduckdown
Originally Posted By: hawglips
I've lost many a turkey hole to modern timber management practices. For me personally, I don't think a pine plantation does much for turkeys. Those that survive in them do so in spite of and not because of, IMO.

Agree 100%.

And yes, I've said 10 times that we have a solid turkey population where i hunt, and it is due to the fact that for the last 10 years there has been very little cutting or spraying on this property. Unlike areas surrounding us. But ill also say this, i drive 2 hours to hunt here because there are very few turkeys around my home, where there used to be an extremely high population. Nothing has changed in that area other than timber management practices. So you tell me what happened to all the birds if it wasnt timber practices and/or over harvesting? Im sure preadtors hurt, but the area i hunt now has a much higher predator population...

I never said a turkey couldn't live in pines. A turkey can live in some tough environments. But its impossible for them to sustain such a high population in pines that lack the food that they once had. If you are trying to tell me that current timber practices aren't targeting the killing of under brush and small vegetation, then YES im calling you a liar.

Our property, like alot of others in the counties i mentioned, was bought by an investment group last year. They came in and cut half of the timber, sprayed the new growth, and dropped pelletized herbicides via helicopter in the 5-15 year old pine stands. I know because I was here watching them do it. Now ALL undergrowth is dead. And in all honesty i know it hurts the deer worse than the turkeys, but it definitely hurts ALL wildlife. So no, you will not change my mind.

I do a lot of herbicide work in the woods but am confused as to the pelletized or solid herbicides or insecticides that you are talking about. Can you enlighten me a little on what these are and what they are used for?

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: New limit [Re: gobbler] #1161592
11/24/14 11:19 AM
11/24/14 11:19 AM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
Booner
Tuscaloosa Co.
Originally Posted By: gobbler
I've lost many a turkey hole to modern timber management practices. For me personally, I don't think a pine plantation does much for turkeys. Those that survive in them do so in spite of and not because of, IMO.

Agree 100%.

And yes, I've said 10 times that we have a solid turkey population where i hunt, and it is due to the fact that for the last 10 years there has been very little cutting or spraying on this property. Unlike areas surrounding us. But ill also say this, i drive 2 hours to hunt here because there are very few turkeys around my home, where there used to be an extremely high population. Nothing has changed in that area other than timber management practices. So you tell me what happened to all the birds if it wasnt timber practices and/or over harvesting? Im sure preadtors hurt, but the area i hunt now has a much higher predator population...

I never said a turkey couldn't live in pines. A turkey can live in some tough environments. But its impossible for them to sustain such a high population in pines that lack the food that they once had. If you are trying to tell me that current timber practices aren't targeting the killing of under brush and small vegetation, then YES im calling you a liar.

Our property, like alot of others in the counties i mentioned, was bought by an investment group last year. They came in and cut half of the timber, sprayed the new growth, and dropped pelletized herbicides via helicopter in the 5-15 year old pine stands. I know because I was here watching them do it. Now ALL undergrowth is dead. And in all honesty i know it hurts the deer worse than the turkeys, but it definitely hurts ALL wildlife. So no, you will not change my mind.

I do a lot of herbicide work in the woods but am confused as to the pelletized or solid herbicides or insecticides that you are talking about. Can you enlighten me a little on what these are and what they are used for?

The only one I could think of was VelparDF.

Re: New limit [Re: Lancecaller] #1161599
11/24/14 11:26 AM
11/24/14 11:26 AM
LASW
turkey247 Offline
12 point
turkey247  Offline
12 point
LASW
TDD is obviously very confused. I'm not sure why he thinks there is a lack of food for turkey virtually anywhere. In warm climate, mostly forested areas, there is enough viable turkey food to support 10 times the existing population. But now I'm stating opinion, and TDD knows.....the facts!

I don't think food is part of the habitat problem for Alabama. And I don't believe habitat is the top issue for us anyway.

Re: New limit [Re: gobbler] #1161671
11/24/14 12:31 PM
11/24/14 12:31 PM
Spanish Fort
teamduckdown Offline
10 point
teamduckdown  Offline
10 point
Spanish Fort

Agree 100%.

Hexazinone I believe is what they were using.

Turkeys be damned.
Re: New limit [Re: Lancecaller] #1161902
11/24/14 03:46 PM
11/24/14 03:46 PM
Central, Al
Bustinbeards Online content
Booner
Bustinbeards  Online Content
Booner
Central, Al
I think the state would be in error on several accounts by lowering the limit one of which being out of state hunters. If suddenly Your out of state license (which cost 129$/3 days, 183$/10 day, or 296$/season) and allowed 5 birds last year now only allowed a 3 bird limit, might cause some reconsider and go to spend your money in another state instead.

Originally Posted By: Wiley Coyote
Well, the way I see it is there's just too many assholes
On a good day there's a bunch of assholes in here. On a bad day there's too many assholes in here.
Re: New limit [Re: teamduckdown] #1161958
11/24/14 04:25 PM
11/24/14 04:25 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama

Hexazinone I believe is what they were using.

While I have used Velpar, it is NOT one of the more common herbicides or "soil sterilants" I believe you called it. I use a lot of herbicides to target understory brush and midstory plants and that is specifically to BENEFIT turkeys. Lack of sunlight in forestry managed stands has a LOT more to do with lack of turkey habitat than herbicides and chemicals has nothing to do with lack of insects... again sunlight and lack of understory plants that are promoted by sunlight. Lack of qualitu or quantity of habitat would not be benefited by an change in the limit.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine
Re: New limit [Re: gobbler] #1162404
11/25/14 12:19 AM
11/25/14 12:19 AM
NC
hawglips Offline
6 point
hawglips  Offline
6 point
NC
Lack of qualitu or quantity of habitat would not be benefited by an change in the limit.

Two questions come to mind here. If a lack of quality or quantity of habitat exists, does that habitat deficiency have a positive or negative impact on the number of turkeys? If it has a negative impact on the turkey numbers, would a higher or lower limit benefit the turkey flock?

Since the southeast turkey decline is a reality, Alabama isn't the only state concerned with these sort of questions and the answers of what to do about it. Arkansas has decreased the season length and limits. SC and TN are currently grappling with these questions also.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/alabama_dcnr_launches_wild_tur.html

http://www.walb.com/story/20156482/uga-studying-wild-turkey-decline-in-the-southeast

http://ncnwtf.com/myJSSImages/file/UGAprogressreport_regionalanalysis_December%202012.pdf

http://www.newbernsj.com/sports/local/ou...ecline-1.118852

http://www.seafwa.org/resource/dynamic/private/PDF/PALMER-138-147.pdf

http://m.columbiadailyherald.com/sports/...y-area-counties

http://www.jrn.com/newschannel5/news/262187551.html

http://thecabin.net/news/2011-10-23/wild-turkey-numbers-arkansas-steady-decline#.VHRapIvF-So

http://www.journalpatriot.com/opinion/article_eac90ec2-60fd-11e3-9822-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=jqm

Re: New limit [Re: cgardner] #1162503
11/25/14 03:46 AM
11/25/14 03:46 AM
Jackson County
B
BrentM Offline
Mr. Turkey
BrentM  Offline
Mr. Turkey
B
Jackson County
Originally Posted By: cgardner
No! If the limit was only 3, I would be done every year by 3/20!! That would make a boring April!!

Seriously, leave it where it is.

You need to put some smiley faces or something up here. You're walking a fine line with one foot about to stumble over into JINX territory shocked

Re: New limit [Re: hawglips] #1163301
11/25/14 02:57 PM
11/25/14 02:57 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
Lack of qualitu or quantity of habitat would not be benefited by an change in the limit.

Two questions come to mind here. If a lack of quality or quantity of habitat exists, does that habitat deficiency have a positive or negative impact on the number of turkeys? If it has a negative impact on the turkey numbers, would a higher or lower limit benefit the turkey flock?

Since the southeast turkey decline is a reality, Alabama isn't the only state concerned with these sort of questions and the answers of what to do about it. Arkansas has decreased the season length and limits. SC and TN are currently grappling with these questions also.

If there is a net loss of turkey habitat acres (quantity), there would be less turkeys although turkeys per acre should remain static. If the lower population is a direct result of loss of habitat quantity, a change in the limit would have no effect since habitat quantity was the driver.

If there is a net loss of turkey habitat quality, there would be less turkeys per acre but the acreage of habitat remains static. If the lower population is a direct result of loss of habitat quality, a change in the limit would have no effect since habitat quality was the driver.

This is, of course, is in theory. However, gobbler populations have little effect on turkey populations as a whole. Each gobbler represents one turkey and their breeding potential can easily be replaced by another gobbler simply doing a little more breeding - something I am quite sure they would be happy to do. . However, each hen represents all the offspring she can raise individually. She cannot be replaced as directly.

Gobbler limits have little to do with turkey populations, hen harvest does. Ask PCP, he'll tell you grin

Re: New limit [Re: hawglips] #1163371
11/25/14 03:41 PM
11/25/14 03:41 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama
Quote:
What is to blame for the turkey decline? Take your choice of weather, wild hogs, fire ants, raccoons, skunks and other nest predators or terrorists.

Quote:
Although biologists haven’t determined the cause of the decline, factors considered include increasing numbers of owls and other predators, prescribed burns and other habitat changes, drought, unknown diseases and pesticides.

Baiting for other species like deer could be a factor because it may make wild turkeys more susceptible to predators or communicable diseases by causing them to concentrate in small areas.
Prescribed burns?? Really, does this give anyone confidence that these guys know what they are talking about?? Wow!

Show me where an overharvest of gobblers was noted in reasons for decline in your cited projects? If it wasn't a reason for the decline then why offer it for a solution? Why not address the reasons they cite like predators, baiting, disease, etc? How about making habitat better so they have higher nest success and poult survival?

How about this theory - restocked wildlife inhabiting uninhabited but good quality habitat have a huge surge in population. This continues until all the habitat is finally taken up and often the population overshoots "normal" population numbers or carrying capacity. This rule applies whether it is a section of land or a State. Just takes longer with a State. Usually this abnormally high population takes a dive from some cause and never completly recovers to its past days of glory because the population was artificially inflated. After that it assumes a more "normal" population that fluctuates from year to year based on annual conditions. This is pretty common with restored critters that were wiped out and maybe turkeys are getting to a population we can expect. We have seen this with restored quail populations pretty regular as seen in this graph.

Pick it up here as well:
https://www.facebook.com/BachAndDevosForestryAndWildlifeServices?ref=bookmarks

Last edited by gobbler; 11/25/14 03:43 PM.

Re: New limit [Re: gobbler] #1163430
11/25/14 04:29 PM
11/25/14 04:29 PM
NC
hawglips Offline
6 point
hawglips  Offline
6 point
NC

If there is a net loss of turkey habitat acres (quantity), there would be less turkeys although turkeys per acre should remain static. If the lower population is a direct result of loss of habitat quantity, a change in the limit would have no effect since habitat quantity was the driver.

This is, of course, is in theory. However, gobbler populations have little effect on turkey populations as a whole. Each gobbler represents one turkey and their breeding potential can easily be replaced by another gobbler simply doing a little more breeding - something I am quite sure they would be happy to do. . However, each hen represents all the offspring she can raise individually. She cannot be replaced as directly.

Gobbler limits have little to do with turkey populations, hen harvest does. Ask PCP, he'll tell you grin

I think this would hold true for hens that can find a gobbler to breed them. I also think that it's likely that hens don't get bred if there are no gobblers around, and no jakes that have viable sperm. Williams stated that studies showed only about 28% of jakes have viable sperm.

I know of hen turkeys out west in sparsely populated areas that were so hard up to find something to breed them that they would squat for humans. And I've seen lone hens far from any known turkey population. I suspect there are more hens than we realize that don't get bred in the spring in areas with low turkey density.

So I think it's possible that shooting too many gobblers can cause a decline in the turkey population by resulting in unbred hens. And I also think that reductions in spring gobbler limits are logical policies to take if there is a legitimate concern that turkey flocks are shrinking, even if there is no proof of it either way.

Re: New limit [Re: hawglips] #1163440
11/25/14 04:37 PM
11/25/14 04:37 PM
Montgomery / Luverne
crenshawco Online content
Booner
crenshawco  Online Content
Booner
Montgomery / Luverne

I think this would hold true for hens that can find a gobbler to breed them. I also think that it's likely that hens don't get bred if there are no gobblers around, and no jakes that have viable sperm. Williams stated that studies showed only about 28% of jakes have viable sperm.

I know of hen turkeys out west in sparsely populated areas that were so hard up to find something to breed them that they would squat for humans. And I've seen lone hens far from any known turkey population. I suspect there are more hens than we realize that don't get bred in the spring in areas with low turkey density.

So I think it's possible that shooting too many gobblers can cause a decline in the turkey population by resulting in unbred hens. And I also think that reductions in spring gobbler limits are logical policies to take if there is a legitimate concern that turkey flocks are shrinking, even if there is no proof of it either way.

That may be the case out west and in low population density areas, but AL does not qualify for either of those. I said it earlier in this thread and I'll say it again, I bet less than 5% of hens in AL go unbred in a spring.

Re: New limit [Re: gobbler] #1163628
11/25/14 06:31 PM
11/25/14 06:31 PM
Tuscaloosa Co.
N2TRKYS Offline
Booner
Booner
Tuscaloosa Co.
[quote=hawglips][quote=gobbler]Gobbler limits have little to do with turkey populations, hen harvest does.

Then why do they have limits? Would you say the same for buck limits and the deer population?

Re: New limit [Re: crenshawco] #1163641
11/25/14 06:41 PM
11/25/14 06:41 PM
South Alabama
gobbler Offline
12 point
gobbler  Offline
12 point
South Alabama

Well, we would have to agree to disagree. I have as much data supporting my position that only an infinitesimal number of hens don't get bred as you do supporting a large number of hens don't get bred. I will say that I have never read a study report indicating any number of hens that were "nonbreeding" for whatever reason and I have read a lot of turkey research projects reports.

Edit: In Dickson, The Wild Turkey, Biology and Management, it is noted that while juvenile wild turkeys are not as fertile, this may be related to the presence of ADULT gobblers in the population. The lack of adults gobblers may allow a high percent of the juveniles to become sexually capable. Dickson notes that domestic juvenile gobblers are FULLY capable of breeding all the hens in a population and there is documentation of successful restocking using only hens and wild JUVENILE gobblers! Also documented was the servicing of up to 20 females by one juvenile gobbler indicating that very few males are necessary for maintaining the breeding of a population of hens.

Reducing the limit would simply be a scapegoat for lack of willpower to address the real problems with a turkey population. Got to be able to say your doing something to satisfy dull hunters.

Originally Posted By: crenshawco

That may be the case out west and in low population density areas, but AL does not qualify for either of those. I said it earlier in this thread and I'll say it again, I bet less than 5% of hens in AL go unbred in a spring.

I bet it is even lower than that - more like 1% in Alabama and it's not for a lack of available males.

Last edited by gobbler; 11/25/14 06:56 PM.

Re: New limit [Re: gobbler] #1163948
11/26/14 05:23 AM
11/26/14 05:23 AM
NC
hawglips Offline
6 point
hawglips  Offline
6 point
NC

Edit: In Dickson, The Wild Turkey, Biology and Management, it is noted that while juvenile wild turkeys are not as fertile, this may be related to the presence of ADULT gobblers in the population. The lack of adults gobblers may allow a high percent of the juveniles to become sexually capable. Dickson notes that domestic juvenile gobblers are FULLY capable of breeding all the hens in a population and there is documentation of successful restocking using only hens and wild JUVENILE gobblers! Also documented was the servicing of up to 20 females by one juvenile gobbler indicating that very few males are necessary for maintaining the breeding of a population of hens.

My brother raises some 3/4 wild turkeys, rios. This past spring because he tom died, he was down to just one jake to do the breeding. I reminded him of what Williams wrote about the 28% viable sperm, and he was pleased to tell me that Williams was wrong because his jake was frequently breeding both of his hens.

As it tuned out, his hens laid a bunch of eggs, but not one egg was fertile.

Reducing the limit would simply be a scapegoat for lack of willpower to address the real problems with a turkey population. Got to be able to say your doing something to satisfy dull hunters.

Could be. But if I were in charge of making the hunting regs, there's enough uncertainty in all this to keep all options on the table and not assume too much.

But assuming 5% of hens in AL don't get bred from overkill of gobblers and not enough fertile jakes to take up the slack, how many poults would that cost AL every year? Assuming 300,000 turkeys in AL, and 2/3 being hens, that would be 10,000 hens unbred or unfertilized. Might be better off dropping the spring gobbler limit to 3 birds and opening up a two week long state-wide hen season instead. wink

Originally Posted By: crenshawco

I bet it is even lower than that - more like 1% in Alabama and it's not for a lack of available males.

I guess there is no way of knowing what the number really is.

But speaking of out west, I have a friend that actually caught a wild hen (in a wilderness area) that squatted for him. He was prospecting an area and a hen answered. The hen came right up to him and squatted. He stooped down and acted like he was strutting and she let him come right up to him.

Here's a photo of a squatting hen doing the same thing at an arheological dig.

None of us can know for sure how many hens do or don't get fertilized in any wild population. Seems like there are opportunities for studies out there. I think it sure would be useful to know that kind of data, but I don't know how they'd control a study like that.

Re: New limit [Re: gobbler] #1163963
11/26/14 05:47 AM
11/26/14 05:47 AM

M
Matt Brock
Unregistered
Matt Brock
Unregistered
M

Quote:
What is to blame for the turkey decline? Take your choice of weather, wild hogs, fire ants, raccoons, skunks and other nest predators or terrorists.

Quote:
Although biologists haven&#146;t determined the cause of the decline, factors considered include increasing numbers of owls and other predators, prescribed burns and other habitat changes, drought, unknown diseases and pesticides.

Baiting for other species like deer could be a factor because it may make wild turkeys more susceptible to predators or communicable diseases by causing them to concentrate in small areas.
Prescribed burns?? Really, does this give anyone confidence that these guys know what they are talking about?? Wow!

I am 100% sure that the author of this article misrepresented the information given to them. That should say "THE LACK OF PRESCRIBED FIRE".

Things I am almost certain of:

1. There IS a decline in turkey populations across the SE.
2. Hens are getting bred. The abundance of gobblers in the population is not even a contributor to turkey declines.
3. There is habitat loss due to urbanization, land use changes, lack of habitat management, and constant disturbance from human activity.
4. There are almost double the amount of hunters in this state as there was when the limit was 5-6 birds/season.
5. We are getting a lot of feedback from hunters about turkey declines.
6. We have developed a turkey technical committee to address these issues, closely work with AU to conduct more research to provide answers, and review hunter feedback on how they prioritize certain aspects of hunter satisfaction.
7. If research indicates a shift in season or change in bag limits would result in the most satisfaction AND provides a sustainable and huntable population of turkeys then it would be a possibility.
8. Y'ALL don't get your feathers ruffled up just yet.

Re: New limit [Re: Lancecaller] #1163967
11/26/14 05:53 AM
11/26/14 05:53 AM

M
Matt Brock
Unregistered
Matt Brock
Unregistered
M

And don't forget the turkey technical committee is made up of hard core turkey killers, and veteran wildlife biologists who want to provide the most opportunity possible to the public.

We're not a bunch of dummies half-heartily entering some state of false reality.

There is a LOT of research and discussion going into this. thumbup

Last edited by Matt Brock; 11/26/14 05:53 AM.
Re: New limit [Re: Lancecaller] #1163985
11/26/14 06:13 AM
11/26/14 06:13 AM
Prattville AL
E
ElkHunter Offline
Booner
ElkHunter  Offline
Booner
E
Prattville AL
I think there are lots of parts to this puzzle. I work properties that were once awesome turkey and deer hunting properties. Each of these properties have the same thing in common. They are covered with raccoons, coyotes, and hogs. I wish there were more studies to evaluate these impacts. I believe these 3 do have an impact on the populations and I have had that belief well before I started a business.

Hunting clubs need to start addressing all of these issues just like they do food plots and prescribed burnings.

A combination of dropping the limit and addressing the predators could help turkeys rebound in just a few years. Deer will take much longer.

Alabama Hog Control, Inc.
www.alabamahogcontrol.com
Barry Estes

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Brent, Dixiepatriot, riverrat, Shaw, YEKRUT 

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.