</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO Boat, fishing and pontoon
by klay. 04/19/24 05:31 PM
2008 kawasaki 750 brute force $3000
by CrappieMan. 04/19/24 05:02 PM
Hunting Club Lawn Mower 42" Tractor Style
by trailertrash. 04/19/24 04:40 PM
Sig Suaer M400 Tread 5.56
by AL18. 04/19/24 02:44 PM
truck
by jhix3734. 04/19/24 10:50 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Taxidermist called
by James. 04/19/24 11:26 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/19/24 07:59 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
37 registered members (Beebs, farmerjay, AKB, Booner Hunter, Letshunt, Holcomb, Captain Howdy, BOFF, ShaftOne, GUT_SHOT, Doeslayer44, AHolcomb, lpman, Beadlescomb, AU338MAG, auman, BrandonClark, M48scout, BCLC, Mack1, Whild_Bill, jake44, MikeP, sw1002, thayerp81, mzzy, msubowhunter2506, BobK, desertdog, hyco, CeeHawk37, MR3391, Dixiepatriot, 4 invisible), 709 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: cows in your [Re: Hogwild] #1159806
11/23/14 08:25 AM
11/23/14 08:25 AM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Originally Posted By: Hogwild
On the hog.....as stated, it was NOT against any Game and Fish Law.
Nobody said anything about civil law.

gotcha ,, thanks .

Re: cows in your [Re: dnolen] #1159809
11/23/14 08:27 AM
11/23/14 08:27 AM
Elmore County
Frankie Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Frankie  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Elmore County
Originally Posted By: dnolen
Originally Posted By: Frankie
Law:

3-4-6. Liability of owner of animal breaking into lands not enclosed by lawful fence for trespass or damages; liability of person injuring or destroying such animal.
(a) If any trespass or damage is done by any animal breaking into lands not enclosed by a lawful fence as defined in this chapter, the owner shall not be liable therefor.
(b) If any person injures or destroys any such animal, he shall be liable to the owner for five times the amount of injury done, to be recovered before any court of competent jurisdiction.

In other words, if the livestock owner has a legal fence and is making an attempt to keep it up, he is not liable for any damage his livestock does if they escape. And, in turn, if your property does NOT have a legal fence to keep them out, you are liable if you injure of kill the animal......for up to 5x the value of the animal!
Best thing to do is call the proper LEO!!!!

ok i'm goona split hairs . the law says "any animal" not livestock . the hog imo is "any animal" why was it ok to kill the hog .

I was told if its on your property and is a danger to you or any other person its self defense. Had to deal with my neighbors pit when it showed up at the house and a leo was called. And that goes with any animal.

i killed four dogs one time in my sister's yard . the cops said to kill the other one if it came back .

Re: cows in your [Re: josht101] #1160235
11/23/14 01:49 PM
11/23/14 01:49 PM
'Possum Trot
59Hunter Offline
6 point
59Hunter  Offline
6 point
'Possum Trot
Originally Posted By: josht101
Law:

3-4-6. Liability of owner of animal breaking into lands not enclosed by lawful fence for trespass or damages; liability of person injuring or destroying such animal.
(a) If any trespass or damage is done by any animal breaking into lands not enclosed by a lawful fence as defined in this chapter, the owner shall not be liable therefor.
(b) If any person injures or destroys any such animal, he shall be liable to the owner for five times the amount of injury done, to be recovered before any court of competent jurisdiction.

In other words, if the livestock owner has a legal fence and is making an attempt to keep it up, he is not liable for any damage his livestock does if they escape. And, in turn, if your property does NOT have a legal fence to keep them out, you are liable if you injure of kill the animal......for up to 5x the value of the animal!

That's a bullshit law if you ask me. (I know you didn't ask me). I agree on not shooting the cows but why should owner not be liable for damage. They are his to control and maintain, not mine. If I had a major problem with them doing that I would SSS. And yes I do have machines big enough to dig that size hole in less than 20 minutes. And how in the world would the landowner ever know if they don't trespass on your land looking for said animals anyway.

While not something that comes up with any frequency in my practice, I generally know that there are "fence in" and "fence out" areas in the state. The quoted statute is "fence out" meaning it is your obligation to maintain a legal fence to keep animals off your property. Law dates back to open range grazing days.

In "fence in" areas, it is the duty of the livestock owner to keep the animals contained within a lawful fence. The failure to do so creates liability.

Re: cows in your [Re: 59Hunter] #1160292
11/23/14 02:28 PM
11/23/14 02:28 PM
Chelsea, AL
J
josht101 Offline
8 point
josht101  Offline
8 point
J
Chelsea, AL
Originally Posted By: 59Hunter
Originally Posted By: josht101
Law:

That's a bullshit law if you ask me. (I know you didn't ask me). I agree on not shooting the cows but why should owner not be liable for damage. They are his to control and maintain, not mine. If I had a major problem with them doing that I would SSS. And yes I do have machines big enough to dig that size hole in less than 20 minutes. And how in the world would the landowner ever know if they don't trespass on your land looking for said animals anyway.

While not something that comes up with any frequency in my practice, I generally know that there are "fence in" and "fence out" areas in the state. The quoted statute is "fence out" meaning it is your obligation to maintain a legal fence to keep animals off your property. Law dates back to open range grazing days.

In "fence in" areas, it is the duty of the livestock owner to keep the animals contained within a lawful fence. The failure to do so creates liability.

Fence in seems like what everything should be in alabama these days. There is no open range grazing anymore.

Re: cows in your [Re: Frankie] #1160316
11/23/14 02:46 PM
11/23/14 02:46 PM
Northport, Al.
BOFF Online content
Booner
BOFF  Online Content
Booner
Northport, Al.
Originally Posted By: Frankie
Law:

ok i'm goona split hairs . the law says "any animal" not livestock . the hog imo is "any animal" why was it ok to kill the hog .

3-5-1. "Livestock" or "animal" defined
The term "livestock" or "animal," where it occurs in this chapter, shall be held to be limited to and to refer to horses, mares, mules, jacks, jennies, colts, cows, calves, yearlings, bulls, oxen, sheep, goats, lambs, kids, hogs, shoats and pigs.

God Bless,
David B.

Premium member #8925
Team Rack Addicts
2016 Aldeer Deer Champions

Re: cows in your [Re: BOFF] #1160321
11/23/14 02:50 PM
11/23/14 02:50 PM
Northport, Al.
BOFF Online content
Booner
BOFF  Online Content
Booner
Northport, Al.
HOWEVER,

3-5-2. Permitting livestock or animals to run at large upon premises of another without permission or upon public lands, highways, etc., generally

(a) It shall be unlawful for the owner of any livestock or animal, as defined in section 3-5-1, to knowingly, voluntarily, negligently or willfully permit any such livestock or animal to go at large in the state of Alabama either upon the premises of another or upon the public lands, highways, roads or streets in the state of Alabama.

(b) Nothing in this section or elsewhere in this chapter shall be construed to make it unlawful for livestock or other animals to run at large on the premises of another when the owner or person in charge of the premises has consented in writing to let livestock or other animals run at large on the same or to subject the owner of such livestock or other animals to criminal prosecution therefor.

(c) There shall be no "open range" counties in this state. This section shall apply to all counties within the state.

(d) Any person or persons owning or having the possession, custody or control of any livestock who unlawfully and knowingly permit the same to run or be at large, shall be guilty of a misdemeanor, and, on conviction, shall be fined not less than double the damages sustained by the injured party or parties, but in no case more than $50.00, one half of such fine to go to the injured party or parties, and may also be imprisoned in the county jail or sentenced to hard labor for the county for a term not exceeding six months at the discretion of the court trying the case.

3-5-3. Liability of owner for damages done by livestock or animals running at large; judgment lien upon animal or livestock causing damage

(a) The owner of such livestock or animal being or running at large upon the premises of another or upon the public lands, roads, highways or streets in the state of Alabama shall be liable for all damages done to crops, shade or fruit trees or ornamental shrubs and flowers of any person, to be recovered before any court of competent jurisdiction; provided, that the owner of any stock or animal shall not be liable for any damages to any motor vehicle or any occupant thereof suffered, caused by or resulting from a collision with such stock or other animal, unless it be proven that such owner knowingly or wilfully put or placed such stock upon such public highway, road or street where such damages were occasioned.

(b) The judgment of the court against the owner of such livestock or animal so depredating shall be a lien superior to all other liens on the livestock or animal causing the damage, except as to taxes.

I'm not a lawyer.

God Bless,
David B.

Premium member #8925
Team Rack Addicts
2016 Aldeer Deer Champions

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.