</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Rem model 7 stainless 300WSM
by Thread Killer. 04/19/24 09:04 AM
Mathews lift 29.5
by Bows4evr. 04/18/24 09:53 PM
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by abolt300. 04/19/24 09:25 AM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
126 registered members (44MAG, aubigmac, jacannon, bug54, AU338MAG, Drake322, RidgeRanger, KnightRyder, Bigem1958, Antelope08, 7PTSPREAD, JustHunt, Whild_Bill, Shaneomac2, bald347, Turkey, NVM1031, Hunter454, Andalusia, Mbrock, jhardy, BC, BigEd, Jweeks, GoldenEagle, Fishduck, DGAMBLER, Booner Hunter, BC_Reb, Tree Dweller, FreeStateHunter, Canterberry, ts1979flh, odocoileus, AHolcomb, lpman, KHOOKS, Squadron77, hawndog, Okatuppa, Ant67, Overland, RAmerica, eclipse829, Gav-n-Tn, Fleahopmayor, crenshawco, Marengo hunter, CouchNapper, JKlep, Morris, Turkey Petter, oldbowhunter, donia, goodman_hunter, jchurch, Big AL 76, coonhunterrn, J_K, Gobble4me757, bfoote, MS_Hunter, deepwoods44, Floorman1, Petey, Team_Stuckem, hippi, BD, BigA47, thayerp81, Justice, HBWALKER14, dsmc, wareagle22, ColeT, BearBranch, burbank, rhino21, hallb, catdoctor, CKyleC, KENT, wk2hnt, zgobbler5, Joe4majors, Keysbowman, scrubbuck, Beer Belly, kodiak06, mossyback, CarbonClimber1, misfire, Bmyers142, Rolloverdave, Reaper, RareBreed, hamma, Zzzfog, rst87, Coosa1, bobbyc, duxlayer, Rainbowstew, Whitebone, BPI, courseup, Quack Quack Bang, Cactus_buck, lthrstkg1, Deer Crossing, TexasHuntress, GmeHunter, lefthorn, Raven, geeb1, oakachoy, sanderson, El_Matador, abolt300, 7 invisible), 755 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? #1117753
10/19/14 11:14 AM
10/19/14 11:14 AM
Near the Trussell
BPS Offline OP
10 point
BPS  Offline OP
10 point
Near the Trussell
When coming home last night and getting gas in Cottondale, a guy pulls up behind me in an older, little rough car and says something to me. I initially thought he was asking directions or something. As I walk up to the car he asks if I could "spare some money because they just cut my leg off". WHAT?? As I walk up to the car I clearly see his right leg is cut off just above the knee and it looks like it was done recently. It was kinda swollen and just looked like it was taken off in the previous month or so. He said he had been off work for several months and his family couldnt help him. The whole situation caught me off-guard and I didnt think to ask why "they" cut his leg off. But I pulled some money out and gave it to him and he seemed very greatful. It was different than any other time I have been asked for money. Surely it was a medical procedure or something. confused

I used to tell the gas station people "in need" that I couldnt help them. I just figured they were looking for drug money or something so I had no problem telling them no. 3.5yrs ago I found myself in a hard spot needing gas in an emergency with no money. My wallet was 20 miles away in my buddies truck where I had forgot it after getting the call from my dad that the nurse had called for all the family to come to the hospital where my mother had been getting treatment for cancer. We knew she was terminal and I knew that day or call was coming and I had only hunted 1 time because I didnt want to be 100 miles away deer hunting when that time came. The only reason I was down there is because my last conversation with her was her fussing at me for not going hunting because of her. So here I am needing gas and turning around was no option. I am now "that guy" thats going to have to ask or beg someone for some gas money. I couldnt believe I had talked myself into going hunting when my mom was dying in the hospital. I go to exit 45 because they had 2 gas stations and I felt I had better odds of landing some help. I pulled up to the shell station and ran inside to the cashier and asked her if she could help me with some gas. I had some checks but since it was out of county check she could not take it. I'm humiliated but pretty much begging for just some gas. About this time a guy taps me on the shoulder and asks if I needed some money. I said, buddy I just need some gas. $20 should do it. He then said are you sure that will be enough. Quickly thinking that I had to make it to St.Vincents, I didnt want to get to downtown and have to stop and beg again. I said man if you could spare $30 that should get me where I need to be. He said no problem. I thanked him and went outside to pump the gas. I was so grateful as it had been fairly easy for me to get what I needed. As I'm pumping gas the guy walks out and asks me what I had going on. In my mind he deserved to know as he had just done me a really big favor. I told him my Mom is dying in the hospital. He showed me sorrow and asked where I lived. Once I told him, he said thats where he lived. Here I am 80 miles from home and it turns out he lived about 3 minutes up the road from me. That made it easy for him to verify my story and for me to pay him back once all the dust settled but he told me not to worry about paying him back. We shook hands and he told me to be careful. Well leading up to this moment, for months, I didnt want to be there when my Mom passed. Call it fear but I just wanted to get a call that she was gone. I loved her so much and just couldnt fathom being there when she took her last breath. After being blessed with a man willing to give me $30 for gas, I felt that was Gods way of telling me I needed to be there when she took that last breath. I set the cruise at 90 and wouldnt answer the phone if anyone called. I didnt want to hear that I had missed her passing. I got to the hospital and walked in the room where the family was circled around her. Everyone looked at me with such sadness. My first glance was look at the machines hooked up to her which I had learned to read (somewhat) to see if she still had a heartbeat. Thankfully she did. I had made it. She took her last breath 30mins later. It almost seemed like she was waiting on me to let go.

I get emotional telling this story and seemed to have hijacked my original post.

Well ever since the day that random guy (Jason) who loaned me some money when he didnt have to, I have not said NO to anyone who asks me for money at a gas station if I had some cash to spare. Even though they may appear to be a little fishy, they may truly need help just as I did January 23, 2011. I'm not telling this story just to say that I am the greatest giver ever as I most definitely am not. But the next time someone asks, put yourself in their shoes. $10 is probably not going to break your bank. I know that there are professional beggars that probably make a fortune off of it. But that is not for me to judge unless I have reason to.

This thread got a lot longer than I originally intended but how do you handle a gas station beggar?

If your decoy doesnt have holes in it, your not letting him get close enough... J.H.

"Life lessons are almost never found where you think they should be, sometimes they're in the middle of a small, muddy creek in the woods with steep banks"... DeadorAlive
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117764
10/19/14 11:30 AM
10/19/14 11:30 AM
North Alabama
YEKRUT Offline
Turkey Nut
YEKRUT  Offline
Turkey Nut
North Alabama
Tough story man, sorry for your loss, but I am glad you made it when you had to.i try to feel sympathetic for most folks and help when I think it is going toward a good cause. I usually give if the person doesn't look like a crack head or a drunk. I usually try to buy them the food or gas if that is what they are asking for to make sure it goes for what they say it does.

We were in Knoxville for a tn home game a few years back and there was a guy there asking for money for food on the street. Just so happens we were in front of a McDonald's so I asked him what he wanted to eat and I would go get it. He asked for money only and got pissy when I told him I would go get it. I looked under the bench next to his bag and he had a bottle of whiskey in a bag and a bag full of burgers already. That incident changed the way I thought about people asking for money.

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters. —Archibald Rutledge—
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117772
10/19/14 11:43 AM
10/19/14 11:43 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
I will try to help someone unless I can tell they are just a con. You just have to let the Lord lead you. Sometimes it can be dangerous. Just use good sense and be on your guard.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117784
10/19/14 12:03 PM
10/19/14 12:03 PM
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
Thanks for sharing that. So many of us are so scared of being fooled that we won't help anyone. I know I've been fooled before but all I was out was a few dollars and maybe a little knock to my pride. I also know I've helped people who really needed it and that knowledge is worth way more than the money I gave.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117790
10/19/14 12:09 PM
10/19/14 12:09 PM
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
You just have to go with your gut feeling. If they misused the money that's on them but if they needed it and you turned your back then that would have been against everything Gods word teaches.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117793
10/19/14 12:11 PM
10/19/14 12:11 PM
louisiana
D
deerman24 Offline
10 point
deerman24  Offline
10 point
D
louisiana
I help all weather I believe they need it or not. Who know maybe someone really is in need and I don't help. My wife says I just to easy but I can't change.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117811
10/19/14 12:23 PM
10/19/14 12:23 PM
Madison County
hgmike Offline
6 point
hgmike  Offline
6 point
Madison County
I always ask the person that they need. If they are asking for gas money I offer to put gas in their car, money for food I'll offer to get them food, etc etc. You can tell the difference between who really needs help and who wants drug or booze money. Somebody really in need will never turn down gas or food. Somebody wanting something else and just the money will always insist on money.

Last edited by hgmike; 10/19/14 12:23 PM.

God, Country, Corps, Family, and Alabama Football.
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: hgmike] #1117823
10/19/14 12:32 PM
10/19/14 12:32 PM
Castleberry
big_buck_down79 Offline
8 point
big_buck_down79  Offline
8 point
Castleberry

Originally Posted By: hgmike
I always ask the person that they need. If they are asking for gas money I offer to put gas in their car, money for food I'll offer to get them food, etc etc. You can tell the difference between who really needs help and who wants drug or booze money. Somebody really in need will never turn down gas or food. Somebody wanting something else and just the money will always insist on money.

This^^^

I have filled up gas tanks for people before and bought drinks and food...the second someone says no I'd rather have the money, that tells me that there is another motive in their head for it.

I once flirted with danger...but then danger got clingy.
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117824
10/19/14 12:33 PM
10/19/14 12:33 PM
USA
R
Remington270 Offline
Freak of Nature
Remington270  Offline
Freak of Nature
R
USA
Great story, BPS. It's always good to keep things in perspective.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117834
10/19/14 12:40 PM
10/19/14 12:40 PM
Buc-ee’s Beach Express
leroycnbucks Offline
Freak of Nature
leroycnbucks  Offline
Freak of Nature
Buc-ee’s Beach Express
I had a guy last year when I was stopped at a gas station in Athens ask me for some cash to buy gas. He was in a fairly new SUV and had on nice clothes and shoes. I thought it was strange that he needed some help and looked like he did. He told me he had an emergency in Birmingham he had to get to but didn't have enough gas to get there. He totally caught me off guard. He walked straight up behind me and my car so I was a little uneasy about the situation.

I told him I would give him a few dollars if he filled up right here right now. He said he needed it for later. I then told him he was to close to me and please step back and I would think about it if he told me more about his emergency. He then got in his vehicle and drove around to the other side of the station and started asking everyone for gas money. Don't know if he got any or not.

Fast forward a year before that. Same thing different town. I was in Prattville and a guy walked up to me and said he was homeless and hungry. I told him I would buy him some food in the store if he liked. He said he rather have the cash instead so I asked him if he was going to buy liquor. He said no. I said you promise. He said I promise I'm not going to buy liquor . So I gave him some cash. I then pulled over to the side of the store and backed in to a parking space to do some work before I traveled to my next stop.

As I set there I watched him ask several others for some money. He then went inside the store. He then came out and walked behind the store and another guy joined him. He opened up the bag and pulled out a six pack of beer and a bottle of wine. After about thirty minutes I walked back in the store to use the bathroom. I walked over to where they were and said "you lied to me." He then told me to go F myself! I let it slide. Went inside and used the bathroom and got in my car getting ready to leave and this maniac starts walking towards me waving a 2x4 about five foot long he picked up cussing and yelling at me. I'm Like what in the hell is he going to do! He starts telling me to get out of the car because he's going to beat my ass! I knew he was drunk and harmless probably but he done pissed me off now! I should have just drove off but I didn't. So I roll down my window and tell him that I'll arm wrestle him for the rest off his beer and wine. He didn't know what to say then! After a few minutes he then starts laughing and telling me he was sorry for being such an ass hole. I said no problem! I learned a lesson here. He said " what is that?" I said think about the threat before I shoot a dumbass such as yourself. He didn't say anything after that and I drove off.

So now I just tell beggers no or I can call an LEO if there is an emergency they need to get to.

Proud Army and ALNG veteran
God Bless America!
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: R_H_Clark] #1117840
10/19/14 12:47 PM
10/19/14 12:47 PM
Huntsville, AL
Claims Rep. Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Claims Rep.  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Huntsville, AL
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
I will try to help someone unless I can tell they are just a con. You just have to let the Lord lead you. Sometimes it can be dangerous. Just use good sense and be on your guard.

^^^This.

Jesus... I hope you know Him personally like I do.

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Proud crossbow hunter!
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117844
10/19/14 12:48 PM
10/19/14 12:48 PM
Brierfield
Beadlescomb Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Beadlescomb  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Brierfield
I just tell them that if they have anything they can sale or collateral I will but I just can't give money away anymore

We will burn that bridge when we get there
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117868
10/19/14 01:18 PM
10/19/14 01:18 PM
bessemer, al
H
hunterturf Offline
14 point
hunterturf  Offline
14 point
H
bessemer, al
I always give it to them if I have cash, never more than a dollar or two. Had a guy come up to me in a gas station in eutaw one night, spoke with a british / english accent....... yes......thats what I just said. Said he was in a bind and if I could please spare a couple of dollars. I only had a 20 and told him id give him some after I bought some ice. As I was leaving I handed him 2 dollars. He looked at me and said the following..... "I dont think you understand my situation" I bit my tongue for my first thought that crossed my mind to say and ended up saying something about rather than critiquing my generosity you would probably be better served in the future saying thank you.

Give me bout 15 more minutes, I was dreamin about beavers..........
Si Robertson
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: hunterturf] #1117872
10/19/14 01:28 PM
10/19/14 01:28 PM
Near Deland, Florida
EDSKI Offline
10 point
EDSKI  Offline
10 point
Near Deland, Florida
In general, I try to be polite but I'll ask a few simple questions.

When this happens at a gas station and they are asking for gas money I will offer to put a couple of gallons in their car.

If it's at a food store and they as for food money I'll offer to but them some food.

I don't hand out money because too many people want it for beer or dope.

Without your 2nd amendment rights you have no 1st amendment rights.
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117916
10/19/14 02:06 PM
10/19/14 02:06 PM
In a Van, down by the River
quailman Offline
Booner
quailman  Offline
Booner
In a Van, down by the River
I kick em in the nutts, then take their wallet.

Life is a journey. Make sure and bring plenty of Beer.

My luck has been so bad lately, it could be raining pussies and I'd catch one with a dick broke off in it.
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117946
10/19/14 02:31 PM
10/19/14 02:31 PM
Santa Rosa/Conecuh
hallb Online content
Booner
hallb  Online Content
Booner
Santa Rosa/Conecuh
I won't lie...it usually depends on how they look. If they are rough looking I try to beat them to the punch and ask if I can borrow some money from them. Can't say I've ever had a clean cut person approach me asking for money. You can usually tell a persons true intentions pretty quickly.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117955
10/19/14 02:36 PM
10/19/14 02:36 PM
Cullman,Al.
F
fingers Offline
8 point
fingers  Offline
8 point
F
Cullman,Al.
I use it as witnessing tool.I tell them sure I can spare a little money but you have to listen to me first.Then,I share the gospel with them.I have done this several times and was able to share with them each time.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1117980
10/19/14 02:54 PM
10/19/14 02:54 PM
Monroe County, AL
skintback Offline
10 point
skintback  Offline
10 point
Monroe County, AL
If there in need of gas or food, I'll spend some on that, but very rarely will I just give them cash.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing right, or it's not worth doing at all!
------------------------------
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118061
10/19/14 03:39 PM
10/19/14 03:39 PM
Near the Trussell
BPS Offline OP
10 point
BPS  Offline OP
10 point
Near the Trussell
Greats responses by everyone. Seems we all have somewhat of a giving heart to those in need. I think what sums it up is giving to someone asking for money it like tithing. Even though you are likely not going to have any say so in how it is spent. But the book says you will be blessed 100 fold so you will get it back in one way or another.

Thanks Yek, its ashamed that there are people out their just looking for a handout. Thats what makes people not want to help anyone at all. But like 300gr and Bill said, if they have bad intentions with your generosity then its on them and def not on you. I cant promise that I will never say NO again, but unless I have reasons to think they are trying to pull one over on me, I'm going to try and help them out.

If your decoy doesnt have holes in it, your not letting him get close enough... J.H.

"Life lessons are almost never found where you think they should be, sometimes they're in the middle of a small, muddy creek in the woods with steep banks"... DeadorAlive
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118073
10/19/14 03:50 PM
10/19/14 03:50 PM
UR 6
top cat Offline
Freak of Nature
top cat  Offline
Freak of Nature
UR 6
Like others I have offered to buy them gas or something, never have had one take me up on it.

LUCK:::; When presistence, dedication, perspiration and preparation meet up with opportunity!!!
- - - - - - - -A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have. Thomas Jeferson - - - - - - - -
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118087
10/19/14 03:58 PM
10/19/14 03:58 PM
Petal,MS,USA
SFC3 Offline
10 point
SFC3  Offline
10 point
Petal,MS,USA
I think most of us can tell a BS'er...If I think they're legit...I'll help...if not I just say sorry...no cash...

Grumpy Old MS Bastage
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: quailman] #1118093
10/19/14 03:59 PM
10/19/14 03:59 PM
Mobile Alabama
TChunter Offline
Booner
TChunter  Offline
Booner
Mobile Alabama
Originally Posted By: quailman

This is what Josh usually does.

On the Eighth day God created flounder.
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118100
10/19/14 04:02 PM
10/19/14 04:02 PM
If you only knew.....
Tru-Talker Offline
Booner
Tru-Talker  Offline
Booner
If you only knew.....
I have offered to buy a few food and or gas... All they have wanted is cash... I have never been taken up on the offer.... A few times I step out carrying...they see it and make their way the opposite direction rather quickly...

Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves...

Confucius
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: Tru-Talker] #1118124
10/19/14 04:21 PM
10/19/14 04:21 PM
Somewhere
thirtyotsix Offline
4 point
thirtyotsix  Offline
4 point
Somewhere
I don't give period unless I feel good about it, which has been few and far in between.I travel between GA, Al, and MS all the time.I usually determine giving by one simple question to myself. If I was in their situation what would I do? My answer to myself almost always differs from what they are doing.

With politics being a career, a swamp is the obvious consequence
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: TChunter] #1118125
10/19/14 04:22 PM
10/19/14 04:22 PM
Mobile,AL
jsh1904 Offline
14 point
jsh1904  Offline
14 point
Mobile,AL
Originally Posted By: TChunter
Originally Posted By: quailman

This is what Josh usually does.

Sorry but after being carjacked you would allow agree with my current philosophy

This post is protected by copyright. Anyone found posting here is subject to certified mail from my gay sister.
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118140
10/19/14 04:40 PM
10/19/14 04:40 PM
B
blade Offline
12 point
blade  Offline
12 point
B
Just depends. Sometimes I feel lead to, sometimes not.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: R_H_Clark] #1118173
10/19/14 04:56 PM
10/19/14 04:56 PM
Tuscaloosa
Booger Offline
Picker
Booger  Offline
Picker
Tuscaloosa
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark

This^^^^^

GO NOLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118189
10/19/14 05:03 PM
10/19/14 05:03 PM
haleyville al,
D
dnolen Offline
10 point
dnolen  Offline
10 point
D
haleyville al,
I have offered to but food and gas for people but have never been took up on it. I won't give cash. Had guy approach us one night outside a club in bham. We turned him down on g iveing him cash. One of the guys that was hanging out with us told him he would give him a ride. I told him that was a bad idea. The buddy told us but he plays the piano at the church 2blocks from hear.we tried to tell him but he didnt listen. Called about an hour later. Guess what he gave the guy a ride. When he dropped him off the dude robed him. Took his wallet and a few outher things. Luckily he got to drive away in harmed

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118213
10/19/14 05:13 PM
10/19/14 05:13 PM
lat 34.09 long -86.13
metalmuncher Offline
Old Mossy Horns
metalmuncher  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
lat 34.09 long -86.13
Ok. I'm the guy with the not so pretty story.

Several years ago, my wife and I were on our way home from Hattiesburg Ms. We stopped to gas up and stretch our legs for a moment.

While I was standing outside the store, a guy walked up and asked me if I could spare a few bucks, because he had not eaten in two days, and he was headed back to his home town where he had family. My wife was coming out of the store and I motioned for her to get in the truck and then I looked him in the eyes and told him that I will NOT give him money so he could go buy alcohol with it. He just said "Yea, I guess not". I said a few other things along the same lines that I don't think I will share here. Then I got in the truck and drove off.

As I was leaving, I knew that it just didn't feel right. The look from my wife confirmed it and it made me feel embarrassed and ashamed. The guy didn't smell like alcohol. He had spoken politely through the whole encounter. He looked a little scruffy but not any worse than I usually did when I returned from the hunting club. The way I talked to him was very much out of character for me. I had just kicked the man that was already down. Even if he had been a out and out bum trying to scam people, it was not the right course of action for me to take.

So, almost in tears myself, I whipped the truck around and went back to the store. After searching the store and the surrounding area, and then hanging around a while to see if he showed up, we went on our way.

I had completely failed in handling it in a Christian way. I had even failed in handling it in a way that a decent human being would have. I can never apologize to him or offer to buy him some lunch and sending him on his way with a full belly and maybe some food for later.

Don't be like I was.

Something good has come of it though. I got on my knees and asked for forgiveness right there in the store parking lot. I have made it a point to make sure that never happens again. I vowed to let the good lord guide me in such things from now on. I believe he may have been placed there to see if I responded with compassion, or reacted with being a jerk. Of course the jerk came screaming out that time.

Last edited by metalmuncher; 10/19/14 05:16 PM.
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118233
10/19/14 05:29 PM
10/19/14 05:29 PM
Foley, AL
Vulkanman Offline
8 point
Vulkanman  Offline
8 point
Foley, AL
I have given money to people and realized seconds later that I have been conned, I have told needy people to pack sand and felt like a total POS later, you gotta do what feels right. Jesus taught that you should give to the poor, not the deserving.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: metalmuncher] #1118357
10/20/14 02:07 AM
10/20/14 02:07 AM
Near the Trussell
BPS Offline OP
10 point
BPS  Offline OP
10 point
Near the Trussell
Very good post metal. Obviously some good did come out of your situation. Good for you for bring humble and sharing your story.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118395
10/20/14 02:54 AM
10/20/14 02:54 AM
The Ham
S
Strayshot Offline
8 point
Strayshot  Offline
8 point
S
The Ham
I look at it like this. I've been given far more than I deserve, materially speaking and certainly spiritually. I've been in some very tough spots when it comes to money and I know first hand that some kindness goes a long way. I buy gas and food when asked. I keep McDonald's gift cards to give people that need food. I just feel like I need to help when I can. I've watched people take my cash and buy booze when they said they needed it for something else, so I know I'm getting burned sometimes.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118399
10/20/14 03:01 AM
10/20/14 03:01 AM
Petal,MS,USA
SFC3 Offline
10 point
SFC3  Offline
10 point
Petal,MS,USA
Every morning an old friend of mine posts a verse on his FB...This mornings verse fits this...
Now, who will want to harm you if you are eager to do good?
But even if you suffer for doing what is right, God will reward you for it. So dont worry or be afraid of their threats.
Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it.
But do this in a gentle and respectful way. Keep your conscience clear. Then if people speak against you, they will be ashamed when they see what a good life you live because you belong to Christ.
1 Peter 3:13-16

Grumpy Old MS Bastage
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118448
10/20/14 03:45 AM
10/20/14 03:45 AM
Huntsville AL
Rocket62 Offline
14 point
Rocket62  Offline
14 point
Huntsville AL
I certainly appreciate all of you compassionate people and I want to be compassionate myself. More so, I want to actually help people improve their situation. Unfortunately, most of the time we help people like this we simply enable them to continue bad behavior. When we do, we are responsible in part for their situation because we temporarily removed the pain that would cause them to change.

I understand the dilemma you guys face when agonizing over a decision as to whether or not to help someone. I too am seeking answers about this and I too want to get it right in God's eyes. It's not an easy situation to understand and react to.

My Sunday school class is studying this area and we just finished a great book that opened my eyes on this matter ... it's called "When Helping Hurts" and its a good starting point for those that seek understanding in this area.

I don't have the answers, just pointing out a good resource and starting point if you are interested.

In the mean time, until God opens my eyes and shows me how He wants me to respond, I will never give them money but I will offer assistance in the form of my time, food, or other material resources.

I don't want to pass quietly into the night. I want to slide in sideways kickin and screamin
Life really is awesome ... Soak it up while you can ...
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118590
10/20/14 06:13 AM
10/20/14 06:13 AM
Lee County
R
RCHRR Offline
14 point
RCHRR  Offline
14 point
R
Lee County
I will not give them money. However I will offer to buy them a burger, put gas in their vehicle, or let them work for the day. You will be surprised how often they will pass if it's not cash. Beggars will be beggars. You can not change them.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1118799
10/20/14 09:14 AM
10/20/14 09:14 AM
Alabama
B
buck_buster Offline
10 point
buck_buster  Offline
10 point
B
Alabama
I was cornered at a gas station when I was 19 or so. It was a man and his wife he asked if he could have some money for some food,they were hungry.. I told him sure.. I told him to go pick out what ever his wife and he wanted and that I had to get a few things and I would meet them at the register.. They did. I asked him did he need any gas while I was there he said no that the food was good enough. I felt as if God was working thru me. The man and his wife got in the car and left and thanked me for the food. Another time I was at a red light in Pensacola, it was a beautiful day. For some reason I looked over and saw a homeless woman. Something came over me and told me to give to her. I looked down and saw a $10 bill in my cup holder. I motioned her over and gave it to her later that day she was not at the intersection. Who knows I could have helped her off the street or she could have been buying a dime sack of meth laugh The way I look at it some people may really need it and some may just want to smoke/drank it up. I did my part by giving it wheather I could afford it or not. I believe in Karma. What they do with the money is between them and God I did my part by giving.

I love the rut. The woods are like a bunch of roided up meatheads fighting over a girl.
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1119068
10/20/14 01:54 PM
10/20/14 01:54 PM
Alabama
W
whack-n-stack Offline
Booner
whack-n-stack  Offline
Booner
W
Alabama
I can always see it on their face from a mile away. I ask them if they have any money before they can ask me.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1119150
10/20/14 02:56 PM
10/20/14 02:56 PM
coker,al
BOB Offline
4 point
BOB  Offline
4 point
coker,al
BPS, The one legged guy has been hanging out at the Cottondale station for at least 2 weeks now. I have been on 2-10 shift for 2 weeks now, he has been there every night when I get off. He seems sincere to me, I gave him a some the first night, said he needed to pay his car insurance. He gave the story about just losing his leg and disability hasn't started yet. I will see if he is there tonight.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1119151
10/20/14 02:57 PM
10/20/14 02:57 PM
Pine Hill, Al
sluggun Offline
8 point
sluggun  Offline
8 point
Pine Hill, Al
I had a guy come up to me in walmart parking lot two days ago. The first words out of his mouth were "Are you a christian?" I said yes I am. Then he starts begging for a few dollars for food and motel room because he has a tumor. I offered to call the local church because I know they have a program where they will feed him and possibly put him in a motel room for the night. He just says "That's ok" and heads toward someone else using the same Are you a christian line. There is no greater feling of satisfation than helping someone who is truely in need but I just had a gut feeling that he didn't really need help as soon as I saw him. Trust your gut it is usually right.

Team Rack Addicts
2016 Aldeer Deer Champions
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BOB] #1119219
10/20/14 03:26 PM
10/20/14 03:26 PM
Near the Trussell
BPS Offline OP
10 point
BPS  Offline OP
10 point
Near the Trussell
Originally Posted By: BOB
BPS, The one legged guy has been hanging out at the Cottondale station for at least 2 weeks now. I have been on 2-10 shift for 2 weeks now, he has been there every night when I get off. He seems sincere to me, I gave him a some the first night, said he needed to pay his car insurance. He gave the story about just losing his leg and disability hasn't started yet. I will see if he is there tonight.

WOW! Very small world I guess. You know I have given to some shady people and was pretty sure I was getting screwed but I had it to spare. His situation was totally different and he didnt seem to be high or anything but appreciative of my help. My son was with me that day. Due to all the gear in the truck, I guess he could tell we were preparing for hunting season. He told my son that he hoped he killed a really big buck this season. I didnt feel like I got screwed with him.

Now if he's been hanging out there for 2 weeks, maybe he is telling the truth. The way our government works it could take months for him to get approved and finally get a check. I'm not sure how long it takes to get the ball rolling on disability.

Crazy that I'm not the only one who has encountered him. You know if I had it to do over again, I would ask him some questions. Ask about why his leg was removed to begin with. If the whole thing really turned out to be legit, I have some connections that maybe could help him a good bit more than just me.

Last edited by BPS; 10/20/14 03:31 PM.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1119243
10/20/14 03:41 PM
10/20/14 03:41 PM
Tampa
B
Beer Belly Online content
Freak of Nature
Beer Belly  Online Content
Freak of Nature
B
Tampa

I honestly very seldom carry any cash anymore.

--------------
For what it is worth: I still agree with me!
A big man will stand up for himself; a great man will stand up for others.
Processor Map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1OTDcvGoo3puyO-CV10he3pH97IE
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1119283
10/20/14 04:04 PM
10/20/14 04:04 PM
mobile
C
charlie Offline
12 point
charlie  Offline
12 point
C
mobile
99 out of 100 are scamming you. Do what you want because as others have said you should help people in need but you are also enabling a lot of drugs and alcohol abuse. No right answer here. If you travel enough you see the gas station scammers daily. When I worked downtown a lot I would see the same ones day in and day out. Same stories, same gas cans, broken fan belts, whatever the story of the day is. I lost patience for them years ago, I give to the church and some other charities but never to people on the street.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1119498
10/21/14 01:42 AM
10/21/14 01:42 AM
Foley, AL
Vulkanman Offline
8 point
Vulkanman  Offline
8 point
Foley, AL
I've gone the other way, I'll give to street people, believing that anyone who is so much in need that they would beg for a living is truly needy, occasionally the locals like Jimmy Hale Mission & the Firehouse in B'ham, but I don't give anymore to the organized religions, United Way or any of the other professional "fund-raising" businesses.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1119508
10/21/14 02:07 AM
10/21/14 02:07 AM
coker,al
BOB Offline
4 point
BOB  Offline
4 point
coker,al
Originally Posted By: BPS
[quote=BOB]BPS, The one legged guy has been hanging out at the Cottondale station for at least 2 weeks now. I have been on 2-10 shift for 2 weeks now, he has been there every night when I get off. He seems sincere to me, I gave him a some the first night, said he needed to pay his car insurance. He gave the story about just losing his leg and disability hasn't started yet. I will see if he is there tonight.

WOW! Very small world I guess. You know I have given to
some shady people and was pretty sure I was getting screwed but I had it to spare. His situation was totally different and he didnt seem to be high or anything but appreciative of my help. My son was with me that day. Due to all the gear in the truck, I guess he could tell we were preparing for hunting season. He told my son that he hoped he killed a really big buck this season. I didnt feel like I got screwed with him.

Now if he's been hanging out there for 2 weeks, maybe he is telling the truth. The way our government works it could take months for him to get approved and finally get a check. I'm not sure how long it takes to get the ball rolling on disability.

Crazy that I'm not the only one who has encountered him. You know if I had it to do over again, I would ask him some questions. Ask about why his leg was removed to begin with. If the whole thing really turned out to be legit, I have some connections that maybe could help him a good bit more than just me. [/quote

He wasnt there last night, but that doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1119707
10/21/14 05:13 AM
10/21/14 05:13 AM
Behind you
Avengedsevenfold Offline
10 point
Avengedsevenfold  Offline
10 point
Behind you
Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I too have been in a situation where I was in need of some gas money (I'd left my wallet at home)...but I always have had enough cash or spare change stuck back somewhere either in my truck or go bag to get me where I was going. I tend to over-prepare as it is (the bag also always has a .40 cal, two full spare mags, a surefire flashlight, spare batteries for it, and Quik-Clot in it...among other things). But, I can definitely understand the situation of those in a bind and are in need.

It depends upon the person and the situation, I guess. But I promise, if they get too close or it seems fishy...I am not an easy target.

But, I think if you can help, you should help.

Carrying a gun isn't comfortable; but at times it is comforting

"Cause the cause for the pause you think you see is really concentration on the steel” NonPoint
Re: How do you handle a gas station person in need of $? [Re: BPS] #1120126
10/21/14 11:15 AM
10/21/14 11:15 AM
Foley, AL
Vulkanman Offline
8 point
Vulkanman  Offline
8 point
Foley, AL
If you touch me...... I'll kill ya.

Touch my stuff..... I'll kill ya.

Edit: I left out the "any of you homos" part so as to not offend certain people who don't like anything of a sexual nature mentioned or alluded to. Or pictures, especially pictures.

Last edited by Vulkanman; 10/21/14 11:17 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.