</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
ISO Boat, fishing and pontoon
by klay. 04/19/24 05:31 PM
2008 kawasaki 750 brute force $3000
by CrappieMan. 04/19/24 05:02 PM
Hunting Club Lawn Mower 42" Tractor Style
by trailertrash. 04/19/24 04:40 PM
Sig Suaer M400 Tread 5.56
by AL18. 04/19/24 02:44 PM
truck
by jhix3734. 04/19/24 10:50 AM
Serious Deer Talk
Taxidermist called
by Frankie. 04/20/24 12:30 AM
Tdogs mount
by James. 04/20/24 12:17 AM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
13 registered members (SilverBullet, outdoorguy88, NorthFork, Pwyse, coosabuckhunter, tucker07, apolloslade, dave260rem!, MTeague, CAL, 3 invisible), 698 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Unity in the Body of Christ: Christian Essentials [Re: R_H_Clark] #1023551
07/24/14 04:49 PM
07/24/14 04:49 PM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport
Originally Posted By: R_H_Clark
We don't know much about Noah but I think he was saved the same way Abraham was. The scripture says Abraham believed God and it was counted to him for righteousness. Abraham's obedience "circumcision" was a seal of the faith he had in God."Rom.4"

I never said "obedience cancels out grace" nor did I say that "Grace cancels out obedience" Obedience is the result of grace. What's so unfortunate is that many in the church world think Grace is the result of obedience. Actually it is but it's the result of Christ's obedience and not of ours.

I never alluded to the fact you mentioned the obedience idea... it was pointedly stated by others replying to my post. Regarding Noah, saying "we don't know much about Noah" avoids the question. The question is "would Noah have been saved from the flood just by belief in God's word... or by an acknowledge of God's offer of grace? The "faith" that is mentioned in Ephesians 2:8 is a trust which compels one to action - and it's seen clearly in the story of Moses - the story of a man who trusted enough in God's message to comply with God's demands.

Last edited by Bamarich2; 07/24/14 04:50 PM.
Re: Unity in the Body of Christ: Christian Essentials [Re: Bamarich2] #1023608
07/24/14 05:17 PM
07/24/14 05:17 PM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: Bamarich2
Realize what Jesus said in Matthew 5:17-20 is vital - we do not have the authority to relax anything which is found in the NT.

It certainly is but you have failed to understand it. Jesus fulfilled the law. He is the only man to ever have done so. It is by his fulfillment of the law that you are saved, not by your own. If you fail to understand that , then you are still living under the old covenant which has grown old and is ready to pass away. Under that old covenant, you will be judged by your acts and there is no person who can satisfy those requirements. If righteousness came by the law, than Christ has died in vain.

You must understand that you are saved by grace alone, not your obedience, or you have missed the entire New Testament. It is an understanding of grace and who you are because of it that will cause you to obey God's laws. It is not your obedience of laws that cause you to be saved.

Understand completely about Matthew 5:17 ff... my point there was that EVERY word in the bible is important - not just some. Whether then or now, Jesus doesn't endorse relaxing anything found in God's word.

As you claim I must understand that I am saved by grace alone, you cannot harmonize this statement with 1 Peter 1:21 or even Ephesians 2:8. God chooses to save when man responds to His offer of grace. The demons understand this system of grace, but they fail to respond accordingly (James 2:19). Regarding your citation of Romans 4:3, you can find the exact opposite idea in James 2:21. In that same passage, we learn that Abraham wouldn't have been justified had he not obeyed the Lord. One of the cardinal rules about drawing any conclusions about a biblical topic is to examine everything the NT says about a subject... James' text supplements that of Paul's here.

I do have a question for you though... at what point is a person saved? Is there anything he/she must do in order to be saved initially?

To be saved a person must believe God. You must Believe that God sent his son to be your savior and accept that what Jesus did on the cross, saved you from your sins.

The scripture is very clear that Abraham didn't do anything to be righteous except believe God. Abraham's actions were simply a result of his belief. The entire book of Romans is dedicated to showing you that you are justified by faith without works.Also Galatians. take the entire book of James into consideration and he is not saying that a man is justified by works, he is saying that a justified man has works as a result of his faith.

I never said that a man didn't have to believe or have faith in grace for it to be active in his life, but you are not saved by grace plus anything you can do except believe. If you are saying you must believe, then I completely agree with you. If however you say you must do something else, I do not agree with you.

Re: Unity in the Body of Christ: Christian Essentials [Re: R_H_Clark] #1023624
07/24/14 05:24 PM
07/24/14 05:24 PM
God's Country
blackmouth Offline
4 point
blackmouth  Offline
4 point
God's Country
very well said... Amen and Amen

Re: Unity in the Body of Christ: Christian Essentials [Re: R_H_Clark] #1023769
07/25/14 02:01 AM
07/25/14 02:01 AM
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
bill Offline
Freak of Nature
bill  Offline
Freak of Nature
Clarksville, TN /Greenville, ...
I understand what you are saying, but it is more than belief. Satan believes he just doesn't accept. We need faith, surrender and acceptance.

Realize what Jesus said in Matthew 5:17-20 is vital - we do not have the authority to relax anything which is found in the NT.

It certainly is but you have failed to understand it. Jesus fulfilled the law. He is the only man to ever have done so. It is by his fulfillment of the law that you are saved, not by your own. If you fail to understand that , then you are still living under the old covenant which has grown old and is ready to pass away. Under that old covenant, you will be judged by your acts and there is no person who can satisfy those requirements. If righteousness came by the law, than Christ has died in vain.

You must understand that you are saved by grace alone, not your obedience, or you have missed the entire New Testament. It is an understanding of grace and who you are because of it that will cause you to obey God's laws. It is not your obedience of laws that cause you to be saved.

Understand completely about Matthew 5:17 ff... my point there was that EVERY word in the bible is important - not just some. Whether then or now, Jesus doesn't endorse relaxing anything found in God's word.

As you claim I must understand that I am saved by grace alone, you cannot harmonize this statement with 1 Peter 1:21 or even Ephesians 2:8. God chooses to save when man responds to His offer of grace. The demons understand this system of grace, but they fail to respond accordingly (James 2:19). Regarding your citation of Romans 4:3, you can find the exact opposite idea in James 2:21. In that same passage, we learn that Abraham wouldn't have been justified had he not obeyed the Lord. One of the cardinal rules about drawing any conclusions about a biblical topic is to examine everything the NT says about a subject... James' text supplements that of Paul's here.

I do have a question for you though... at what point is a person saved? Is there anything he/she must do in order to be saved initially?

To be saved a person must believe God. You must Believe that God sent his son to be your savior and accept that what Jesus did on the cross, saved you from your sins.

The scripture is very clear that Abraham didn't do anything to be righteous except believe God. Abraham's actions were simply a result of his belief. The entire book of Romans is dedicated to showing you that you are justified by faith without works.Also Galatians. take the entire book of James into consideration and he is not saying that a man is justified by works, he is saying that a justified man has works as a result of his faith.

I never said that a man didn't have to believe or have faith in grace for it to be active in his life, but you are not saved by grace plus anything you can do except believe. If you are saying you must believe, then I completely agree with you. If however you say you must do something else, I do not agree with you.

"Political debate: when charlatans come together to discuss their principles"
-
Bauvard
Re: Unity in the Body of Christ: Christian Essentials [Re: bill] #1023776
07/25/14 02:14 AM
07/25/14 02:14 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: bill
I understand what you are saying, but it is more than belief. Satan believes he just doesn't accept. We need faith, surrender and acceptance.

I'll agree with that Bill. Yes, being born again is a surrender. I am giving up my old life and exchanging it for a new life in Christ.

I just don't agree that any works or keeping of commandments are required for salvation. Now a saved person does work and keep commandments but not to acquire or keep salvation.the difference is that if Satan can get you to judge your salvation based on your performance then you will always be lacking.You will be self centered instead of Christ centered and only works of the flesh can come of self. A man wrapped up in Christ and centered on what Christ has done in him is connected to the vine and will only naturally produce fruit.

Re: Unity in the Body of Christ: Christian Essentials [Re: straycat] #1023961
07/25/14 05:17 AM
07/25/14 05:17 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
A Christian who is saved will bear good fruit. As Christs refines us and prunes us (as branches on the vine) we will bear more and better fruit. It is the natural flow out of our heart that abides with Christ. It requires effort too on our part.

Galatians 5:22-23 tells us about this fruit
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

These are character traits, attitudes, attributes and motivations of the heart type of things. It is not a list of duties, works or obligations. It tells what the new heart in Christ will look like.

In our love for others we should strive to love as Christ loved us..Jesus's new commandment for us...the Law of Christ. Christ died for us and was willing to take on the sin of the world for us so that we might have salvation. Our love for others should mirror that self-sacrificing kind of love.

In our joy we are to stay focused on Christ and his love for us looking forward to our Hope, not be yoked by the problems of the world. We will have problems in life for we live in a fallen world, but we are to turn them over to Christ at the foot of the cross.

In our peace we should seek to be peacemakers as far as it depends on us, not quarreling or stirring up strife. We should engage in equipping, encouraging, building up, and loving those around us.

In our patience we should learn to wait on the Lord and die to our desire of worldly instant gratification, accepting God's timing as the best timing.

In our kindness we should love each other deeply and help those in need and offer ourselves as living sacrifices to those around us by using our time, talents and resources in ways that helps and benefits others...all the while with a good disposition and love.

In our goodness we should subscribe to the just, righteous, pure, Holy and true things and flee from and avoid the ungodly and worldly things that are harmful to us because this promotes honor, virtue, integrity when we imitate Christ.

In our faithfulness we are to be true to our Lord, true to our spouses, true to our families, true to our word.

In our gentleness we will strive to be loving, fair, honest and compassionate--even when wronged--because anger, malice, revenge and dissension are not what God has intended for us.

In our self-control we have a duty and an obligation to put forth every effort to be self-governing through all humbleness of spirit in all situations, not letting Satan toss us like the wind, we are to stand firm and in control of our emotions, attitudes, and actions.

These fruit of the Spirit are heart centered and to have them in full measure it does take obedience on our part. Obedience to God is being open to let Him use us for His Purposes and Glory, not stiff-necked and hard hearted as well as following any specific commands or teaching. But that obedience has its root in our faith, love and changed heart for we will desire to obey and desire to bear fruit.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: Unity in the Body of Christ: Christian Essentials [Re: straycat] #1023980
07/25/14 05:37 AM
07/25/14 05:37 AM
NW Alabama
R
R_H_Clark Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R_H_Clark  Offline
Leupold Pro Staff
R
NW Alabama
Originally Posted By: straycat
A Christian who is saved will bear good fruit. As Christs refines us and prunes us (as branches on the vine) we will bear more and better fruit. It is the natural flow out of our heart that abides with Christ. It requires effort too on our part.

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

These are character traits, attitudes, attributes and motivations of the heart type of things. It is not a list of duties, works or obligations. It tells what the new heart in Christ will look like.

In our love for others we should strive to love as Christ loved us..Jesus's new commandment for us...the Law of Christ. Christ died for us and was willing to take on the sin of the world for us so that we might have salvation. Our love for others should mirror that self-sacrificing kind of love.

In our joy we are to stay focused on Christ and his love for us looking forward to our Hope, not be yoked by the problems of the world. We will have problems in life for we live in a fallen world, but we are to turn them over to Christ at the foot of the cross.

In our peace we should seek to be peacemakers as far as it depends on us, not quarreling or stirring up strife. We should engage in equipping, encouraging, building up, and loving those around us.

In our patience we should learn to wait on the Lord and die to our desire of worldly instant gratification, accepting God's timing as the best timing.

In our kindness we should love each other deeply and help those in need and offer ourselves as living sacrifices to those around us by using our time, talents and resources in ways that helps and benefits others...all the while with a good disposition and love.

In our goodness we should subscribe to the just, righteous, pure, Holy and true things and flee from and avoid the ungodly and worldly things that are harmful to us because this promotes honor, virtue, integrity when we imitate Christ.

In our faithfulness we are to be true to our Lord, true to our spouses, true to our families, true to our word.

In our gentleness we will strive to be loving, fair, honest and compassionate--even when wronged--because anger, malice, revenge and dissension are not what God has intended for us.

In our self-control we have a duty and an obligation to put forth every effort to be self-governing through all humbleness of spirit in all situations, not letting Satan toss us like the wind, we are to stand firm and in control of our emotions, attitudes, and actions.

These fruit of the Spirit are heart centered and to have them in full measure it does take obedience on our part. Obedience to God is being open to let Him use us for His Purposes and Glory, not stiff-necked and hard hearted as well as following any specific commands or teaching. But that obedience has its root in our faith, love and changed heart for we will desire to obey and desire to bear fruit.

I completely agree with the spirit of what you are saying. The revelation I have received just in the last couple years however is that the only labor involved on my part is that I labor to enter into His rest. My labor to achieve all the things you are saying is to rest in his finished work in me.

It is my focus on my new life in Christ that produces fruit. If I labor to produce fruit I have taken my focus off Jesus and placed it on myself and without complete connection to the vine, the branch will bear no fruit.

Satan will try to get my focus off Christ and onto myself and what I can do to produce Godly fruit in my life. If I fall into this trap, I will produce no fruit. My labor is to develop a complete trust and reliance on Christ in every area of my life. I must develop a knowledge that Christ is always in me, always with me, always there to advise and correct. It is this complete rest in his finished work that produces fruit. I am not becoming perfected. In Christ I am perfected. All I need to perfect is my knowledge and trust that Christ has already completed me.

Heb.10:14 "For by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified."

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 07/25/14 05:39 AM.
Re: Unity in the Body of Christ: Christian Essentials [Re: Bamabucks14] #1024035
07/25/14 06:21 AM
07/25/14 06:21 AM
Pike Road
A
ABB Offline
spike
ABB  Offline
spike
A
Pike Road
Originally Posted By: Bamabucks14
Very few of the people in this thread studied Anthropology. On a literature standpoint, read the story of Gilgamesh and countless others. Jesus Christ's story was not an original. I am a believer in a higher power, but when Christ's story copies so many it's hard to think he is All and Everything. As a smart man in Thomas Paine said in Common Sense, published Jan. 10th 1776, " My mind is my own church."

What on earth does the life of Christ have to do with the epic of gilgamesh? Did Jesus slay any gods? Did Jesus build a giant boat to escape a massive flood? Go actually read Gilgamesh then make a comment about it either.
And from your statment on buddhism its obvious you don't know much about it.

Re: Unity in the Body of Christ: Christian Essentials [Re: R_H_Clark] #1024059
07/25/14 06:43 AM
07/25/14 06:43 AM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline OP
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL

Originally Posted By: straycat

I completely agree with the spirit of what you are saying. The revelation I have received just in the last couple years however is that the only labor involved on my part is that I labor to enter into His rest. My labor to achieve all the things you are saying is to rest in his finished work in me.

It is my focus on my new life in Christ that produces fruit. If I labor to produce fruit I have taken my focus off Jesus and placed it on myself and without complete connection to the vine, the branch will bear no fruit.

Satan will try to get my focus off Christ and onto myself and what I can do to produce Godly fruit in my life. If I fall into this trap, I will produce no fruit. My labor is to develop a complete trust and reliance on Christ in every area of my life. I must develop a knowledge that Christ is always in me, always with me, always there to advise and correct. It is this complete rest in his finished work that produces fruit. I am not becoming perfected. In Christ I am perfected. All I need to perfect is my knowledge and trust that Christ has already completed me.

Heb.10:14 "For by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified."

I can agree with that in spirit too grin. I maintain that we are to be active and diligent but not in order to gain work credits, but because we are indeed focused on Christ and are resting in Him. As we seek, strive, are diligent, witness, minister, etc...it is in-of-through Christ, not of ourselves. The Holy Spirit in us will develop our fruit and we need only to be willing to serve and go where God prompts us to go and do what God prompts us to do.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: Unity in the Body of Christ: Christian Essentials [Re: R_H_Clark] #1024578
07/25/14 04:44 PM
07/25/14 04:44 PM
Northport
B
Bamarich2 Offline
8 point
Bamarich2  Offline
8 point
B
Northport

Thanks for answering. The book of Romans does not, as some allege, show that faith alone without action pleases God. Rather, it explains that works of the law of Moses is not able to save a person in the Christian age. That is why you have the appearance of a contradiction between Romans 4:3 and James 2:21. Prior to and following Romans 4:3, it is clear Paul is referencing works of the law of Moses. To pull the word "works" out of the context and claim that it refers to any action whatsoever is to twist the original meaning.

Notice James 1:22-23 closely. The "faith" of Abraham was incomplete without action... and the Scripture was not fulfilled (to make complete) until he acted. To summarize, we learn that faith without works is lacking something... and that the account of Genesis 15:6 was not fully true until Abraham added action to his belief. THIS is the difference between the "faith" of demons (2:20) and Abraham - the "faith" of demons doesn't compel them to obey God.

There's a reason why Luther didn't believe the book of James was inspired - he realized what it does to the doctrine of justification by faith (belief) alone. You still haven't given a response to my questions above.

One, would Noah (a recipient of God's grace) have been saved from the flood without obeying God's requisites to avoiding the flood? Two, why do passages such as 1 Peter 1:22 and 1 Thessalonians 1:8 indicate that obedience is necessary in order to receive purification/salvation? I will also add a third - why do passages like Philippians 2:12 (work out your own salvation with fear and trembling) and Acts 2:40 (save yourselves from this crooked generation) clearly state human action is required in the salvation process if belief alone saves a person?

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.