</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
2011 Toyota RAV4
by jsubrett6. 04/16/24 10:00 PM
Remington 700 SPS Buckmasters Edition
by Mbrock. 04/16/24 09:30 PM
44 Mag Ammo
by wew3006. 04/16/24 02:43 PM
Chevrolet Silverado - Low Miles
by Gulfcoast. 04/16/24 12:11 PM
Serious Deer Talk
First cwd transmission to human?
by Wahoo. 04/17/24 06:40 PM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by jdhunter2011. 04/17/24 11:42 AM
Corn planting need Cnc advise
by cartervj. 04/11/24 05:24 AM
Anybody tried a Buck Muffin?
by JohnG. 04/10/24 04:55 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
10 registered members (Narrow Gap, Letshunt, Uokman2014, Turkeyneck78, sw1002, headshot, woodduck, FX4, 2 invisible), 440 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Murder at the Guntersville VFW #3174709
07/23/20 09:02 PM
07/23/20 09:02 PM
Old Florida
Geno Offline OP
Booner
Geno  Offline OP
Booner
Old Florida
Anyone with information please let me know what you know or even what you've heard. If there is evidence somewhere that needs to be preserved, we need to be making that happen. If there are people who need to be interviewed - same situation. The local police are fighting an uphill battle properly investigating the crime(s) and need all the help they can get.

From my understanding (completely second hand at best), a verbal altercation ensued and both parties walked away. The 26 year old then went and got a bottle, approached the 65 year old from behind and struck him in the back of the head - knocking him unconscious. He then pummeled Rod to death as he lay unmoving in the parking lot.

Anyone who has video in the area of the Guntersville VFW would be an excellent asset as well as any witnesses or individuals who have spoken to witnesses.

Thank you all.

From the Sand Mountain Reporter:

"A Guntersville man faces murder charges in connection to a fight July 10 at the Guntersville American Legion. A verbal argument and ensuing fight between Andrew William Norwood, 26, and Rodney Wayne Cowan, 65, both of Guntersville, began just before 11 p.m. July 11. Cowan was left fighting for his life, but later died July 12 forcing Guntersville Police to upgrade charges to murder. Guntersville Police and Guntersville Fire medics got a call about 11 p.m. July 10 that a patron at the Legion had fallen and hit his head.

“That’s the call everyone was responding to, including us,” Guntersville Police Chief Peterson said. Early the next morning, police received information from medical personnel that the injured man had been assaulted in addition to hitting his head. “We gathered information from the doctor and his medical diagnosis and developed a suspect,” Peterson said. In consultation with the District Attorney’s office, Guntersville Police investigators obtained warrants for assault 2nd degree, a felony charge that indicates serious physical injury but no weapon involved. Then on July 12, police learned that the victim had died. The Marshall County coroner’s office authorized an autopsy. Autopsy results led the DA’s office to upgrade the assault charge to a murder charge. Andrew William Norwood, 26, of Guntersville, was arrested and booked in to the Marshall County Jail on July 17. He was released later that day on a $100,000 bond. He was previously charged with assault on July 11 and released on a $25,000 bond."

http://www.sandmountainreporter.com...T4nlQ6e28I14_Rmc8bLE8-r3l7KaDb0VAU_b9__I

Whoever is happy will make others happy too. Anne Frank
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3174711
07/23/20 09:06 PM
07/23/20 09:06 PM
Marshall county
Bar270 Offline
8 point
Bar270  Offline
8 point
Marshall county
It wouldn’t surprise me at all if this was fact ! Don’t know how the place is still open.. I don’t believe I know any body from the above but this is the first I have herd of this .

Last edited by Bar270; 07/23/20 09:08 PM.

Cat doctor
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3174717
07/23/20 09:14 PM
07/23/20 09:14 PM
By the River
A
antlerhunter Offline
8 point
antlerhunter  Offline
8 point
A
By the River
Let the police investigators do the work. If you’re not paid to be involved, then don’t be.
Anything such as hearsay or rhetoric will just make it harder on the investigation. Seems they have ample evidence.

I have known the victim and his family my whole life.

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go.... (Seuss)
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3174731
07/23/20 09:32 PM
07/23/20 09:32 PM
North Alabama
W
Wiley Coyote Offline
Freak of Nature
Wiley Coyote  Offline
Freak of Nature
W
North Alabama
The victim's son is one of my son's best friends. It's a terrible situation and the family is hurting.

I firmly believe that a double gallows should be constructed on the East Lawn of The White House. Politicians who willfully and shamelessly violate their oath to uphold and defend the Constitution of the United States of America should be swiftly tried and, upon conviction, publicly hanged at sunup the day after conviction. If multiple convicts are to be hanged they can choose with whom to share the gallows or names shall be drawn from the hangman's hat to be hanged 2 at a time.

NRA Life Member
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3174768
07/23/20 10:42 PM
07/23/20 10:42 PM
Guntersville
AC870 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AC870  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Guntersville

Dude was charged with murder. What else do you do?
Police haven’t said what it was over.

“Killing tomorrow’s trophies today.”

On the distance I like to walk to my stands:
“The first 100 yards is also the last 100 yards.”
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: AC870] #3174868
07/24/20 07:16 AM
07/24/20 07:16 AM
Old Florida
Geno Offline OP
Booner
Geno  Offline OP
Booner
Old Florida
Originally Posted by AC870

You asked the question so I will give the answer.

I would like to see every person who committed a crime that night and the following days charged with and convicted of the exact crime they committed. I think if it went down the way I have heard that murder in the first degree would be a more appropriate charge for Andrew. I would like to see him convicted and imprisoned. It would be appropriate for him to get out when he attains the age of the the person whose life he took in my opinion.

I know for a fact there was some lying to the investigating officers and most likely by the person who made the 911 call. I would like to see each of those persons charged with and convicted of somewhere between accessory to murder and obstruction of justice. I would like to see their sentences on the higher end of the scale as those are the types of crimes/people we should make an example of.

I would like to see a prompt, thorough and well documented investigation leading to convictions in each case. I would like to see no offer of plea deals of any sort.

Probably too much to ask with our broken justice system - but I would simply like to see law enforcement do their job and do it well. I fear they won't. If they don't move on the arc I believe they should, I will be lobbying for state and federal investigation agencies to get involved as well as lobbying our elected officials at all levels to push for the same.

I simply want justice. Nothing more, nothing less.

Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3174871
07/24/20 07:24 AM
07/24/20 07:24 AM
Your mom’s house
doekiller Offline
Freak of Nature
doekiller  Offline
Freak of Nature
Your mom’s house
Originally Posted by Geno

I would like to see every person who committed a crime that night and the following days charged with and convicted of the exact crime they committed. I think if it went down the way I have heard that murder in the first degree would be a more appropriate charge for Andrew. I would like to see him convicted and imprisoned. It would be appropriate for him to get out when he attains the age of the the person whose life he took in my opinion.

I know for a fact there was some lying to the investigating officers and most likely by the person who made the 911 call. I would like to see each of those persons charged with and convicted of somewhere between accessory to murder and obstruction of justice. I would like to see their sentences on the higher end of the scale as those are the types of crimes/people we should make an example of.

I would like to see a prompt, thorough and well documented investigation leading to convictions in each case. I would like to see no offer of plea deals of any sort.

Probably too much to ask with our broken justice system - but I would simply like to see law enforcement do their job and do it well. I fear they won't. If they don't move on the arc I believe they should, I will be lobbying for state and federal investigation agencies to get involved as well as lobbying our elected officials at all levels to push for the same.

1. There is no such crime as first degree murder in Alabama.
2. Federal law enforcement can’t investigate violations of state law.
3. There is no crime or accessory to murder in Alabama.
4. You don’t know anything for a fact because you didn’t witness the crime.
5. Stick to your job and let law enforcement do there job.

Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: doekiller] #3174882
07/24/20 07:36 AM
07/24/20 07:36 AM
Old Florida
Geno Offline OP
Booner
Geno  Offline OP
Booner
Old Florida
Originally Posted by doekiller

1. There is no such crime as first degree murder in Alabama.
2. Federal law enforcement can’t investigate violations of state law.
3. There is no crime or accessory to murder in Alabama.
4. You don’t know anything for a fact because you didn’t witness the crime.
5. Stick to your job and let law enforcement do there job.

Can you point me to Alabama code for the crimes that may have been committed? I have not read them yet but I will.

Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3174913
07/24/20 08:18 AM
07/24/20 08:18 AM
Your mom’s house
doekiller Offline
Freak of Nature
doekiller  Offline
Freak of Nature
Your mom’s house
Google Alabama Code 1975. I’m not a teacher. Criminal code is title 13A

Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3174922
07/24/20 08:31 AM
07/24/20 08:31 AM
Old Florida
Geno Offline OP
Booner
Geno  Offline OP
Booner
Old Florida
As usual - not very helpful and mostly adversarial. Sad to see Scott. You could be part of the solution but you choose to be part of the problem instead. You've enriched yourself beyond the imagination of most on this forum by keeping those who should be imprisoned out of prison. This has skewed your perception and tainted your advice.

I would like to say thank you but pointing me to the entire criminal code of the state is somewhat laughable. SMH.

Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: doekiller] #3174930
07/24/20 08:40 AM
07/24/20 08:40 AM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Fayetteville TN Via Selma

More precisely, look in chapter 6 in the Title 13 book. Chapter 6 covers the assaults. Not what you want to hear, but I think it is a hard job to make a Murder charge stick in this case. If there was a mutual fight, then Manslaughter will be the likely outcome. If they locate witnesses that say it was just a straight out Assault, then Murder is possible, but Manslaughter is still more likely unless somehow there was evidence of an intent to kill.

This reminds me of a case I had where a young guy hit and knocked an old man off a porch breaking the old man's neck. He lived for several days before dying. I lobbied for a Murder charge, but the DA was set on Manslaughter. The case was settled for a Manslaughter charge.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3174976
07/24/20 09:17 AM
07/24/20 09:17 AM
Guntersville
AC870 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
AC870  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Guntersville

I know what Geno is saying I think.
I believe the initial call was that the victim “fell and hit his head.”
He’s saying whoever made that call and whoever subsequently gave a statement on the scene was less than truthful with law enforcement.
I believe it was medical staff the next morning who alerted police it was an assault rather than Legion personnel and patrons.
I’m not sure what you’d charge those folks with? Making a false report maybe or hindering an investigation?

“Killing tomorrow’s trophies today.”

On the distance I like to walk to my stands:
“The first 100 yards is also the last 100 yards.”
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3174985
07/24/20 09:35 AM
07/24/20 09:35 AM
Eastbound and Down
dead_eye Offline
8 point
dead_eye  Offline
8 point
Eastbound and Down
As usual - not very helpful and mostly adversarial. Sad to see Scott. You could be part of the solution but you choose to be part of the problem instead. You've enriched yourself beyond the imagination of most on this forum by keeping those who should be imprisoned out of prison. This has skewed your perception and tainted your advice.

I would like to say thank you but pointing me to the entire criminal code of the state is somewhat laughable. SMH.

WTF is your deal? You are all over the place. I don't know you from Adam but am concerned.

Are you ok?

Last edited by dead_eye; 07/24/20 09:35 AM.
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3175017
07/24/20 10:31 AM
07/24/20 10:31 AM
Clanton, AL
Out back Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Out back  Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Clanton, AL

He's not being adversarial at all. He's being smart. You should pay attention.

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3175060
07/24/20 11:18 AM
07/24/20 11:18 AM
Your mom’s house
doekiller Offline
Freak of Nature
doekiller  Offline
Freak of Nature
Your mom’s house
So you want me to go through the criminal code and spoon feed you the answers to your questions and I’m the one being difficult?

Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Out back] #3175131
07/24/20 12:39 PM
07/24/20 12:39 PM
Montgomery
WmHunter Offline
14 point
WmHunter  Offline
14 point
Montgomery
Originally Posted by Out back

He's not being adversarial at all. He's being smart. You should pay attention.

Agree, and protecting peoples' constitutional rights and making sure all due process, evidentiary, proof and other legal standards are met, etc. before
someone loses their life, liberty and/or property is the single most important aspect of the American legal system.

Just look at what is coming down the pike with ever increasing and authoritarian government with all the Marxist liberals running amok everywhere.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

" Chuck Sykes is a dictator control freak like Vladimir Putin " WmHunter

Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: doekiller] #3175142
07/24/20 12:50 PM
07/24/20 12:50 PM
Shelby Co, AL
CatHeadBiscuit Offline
14 point
CatHeadBiscuit  Offline
14 point
Shelby Co, AL
So you want me to go through the criminal code and spoon feed you the answers to your questions and I’m the one being difficult?

Everybody wants the mechanic to find the problem with their busted down car. Source the part at cost and loan the driver tools and an air conditioned place to replace the part. Free advise is usually priced right.

"Arguing on the internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. You may be good at chess, but the pigeon is just going to knock all the pieces down, take a crap on the table, and strut around like its victorious."--Anonymous
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: Geno] #3175189
07/24/20 01:33 PM
07/24/20 01:33 PM
UR 6
top cat Offline
Freak of Nature
top cat  Offline
Freak of Nature
UR 6
Before I let anyone way younger beat on me I'd shoot them if I had a chance. Prayers Lifted for all.

LUCK:::; When presistence, dedication, perspiration and preparation meet up with opportunity!!!
- - - - - - - -A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take everything you have. Thomas Jeferson - - - - - - - -
Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: jawbone] #3175230
07/24/20 02:17 PM
07/24/20 02:17 PM
Old Florida
Geno Offline OP
Booner
Geno  Offline OP
Booner
Old Florida
Originally Posted by jawbone

More precisely, look in chapter 6 in the Title 13 book. Chapter 6 covers the assaults. Not what you want to hear, but I think it is a hard job to make a Murder charge stick in this case. If there was a mutual fight, then Manslaughter will be the likely outcome. If they locate witnesses that say it was just a straight out Assault, then Murder is possible, but Manslaughter is still more likely unless somehow there was evidence of an intent to kill.

This reminds me of a case I had where a young guy hit and knocked an old man off a porch breaking the old man's neck. He lived for several days before dying. I lobbied for a Murder charge, but the DA was set on Manslaughter. The case was settled for a Manslaughter charge.

Thank you David - that would be quite helpful but please read the following.

Not a mutual fight. The deceased walked away from the assailant. The assailant went somewhere else, got a bottle and then attacked the deceased from behind in the head. The initial attack rendered the deceased unconscious and the assailant continued the attack while the deceased was unconscious and all from behind.

That takes care of the attack.

More importantly (or less - depending upon how you look at it) the people in the bar lied to the police officers in both the initial 911 call and the statements they made to the responding officers. They made the claim that the deceased fell and hit his head in the 911 call and their response to officers on the scene. They all witnessed it (most of them anyway - but I am just guessing here).

Pretty sure there is video evidence without audio of the whole thing.

Re: Murder at the Guntersville VFW [Re: doekiller] #3175232
07/24/20 02:20 PM
07/24/20 02:20 PM
Old Florida
Geno Offline OP
Booner
Geno  Offline OP
Booner
Old Florida

That would be a yes. I was kind of hoping so. You would be more familiar with it than me. I do the same when and where I can help. I know you don't like me and the feeling is mostly mutual but I would help you where and when I could. You can send me a bill if you would like. I'm not poor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.