</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
truck
by jhix3734. 04/19/24 10:50 AM
Rem model 7 stainless 300WSM
by Thread Killer. 04/19/24 09:04 AM
Mathews lift 29.5
by Bows4evr. 04/18/24 09:53 PM
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by abolt300. 04/19/24 09:25 AM
Neat IL buck Story
by Paint Rock 00. 04/19/24 05:54 AM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
99 registered members (bald347, 44MAG, ParrotHead89, oakachoy, mayberry51, WDE, graydw1, goodman_hunter, Jwbfx4, odocoileus, HDS64, IDOT, JA, brokefixer, akbejeepin, Whild_Bill, buzzard, klay, Hoytdad10, NWFJ, RCHRR, SouthBamaSlayer, 007, Ditchdigger, IMISSALDEER, RSF, dixiebuck29, Possum Hunter, TwentySeven, Duck Engr, JAT, BamaGuitarDude, Shane99, Copes, Tracker, Obsession, Rockstar007, turfarmer, NVM1031, just_an_illusion, sumpter_al, brett.smith, Mbrock, skymech, BCLC, crenshawco, HHSyelper, doc bar, Jwoods32, Bulls eye, C3SEAST, Gobble4me757, Downwind, Thread Killer, Lvlhdd, RockFarmer, Fishduck, hunterturf, Mack1, Bushmaster, Six shooter, Remington270, beeline08, AUtgr, hunter84, BamaBoHunter, Nightwatchman, coachg34, tmhrmh1, jaredhunts, AU7MM08, snakebit, Keysbowman, WPZJR, Cody Fowler, Fatboyslim, BradB, bug54, FreeStateHunter, Buckwheat, Lonster, bfoote, Turkeyhunter12, ucmducks, CNC, Antelope08, Chaser357, thayerp81, Justice, JCL, JustHunt, buck_buster, 7 invisible), 693 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Making sense of scents….just my two cents. #3159063
07/02/20 11:38 AM
07/02/20 11:38 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Something that would probably make most people on here a better hunter and likely a subject many have never gotten too deep into the weeds on is “scent”……Now I’m not referring to whether or not you like to use tinks or code blue or even necessarily that a deer can smell really well….These are things that most of us are familiar with and have talked about in the past. What I’m referring to are the different variables that effect scenting conditions and how a particular scent behaves. This is something that I guarantee you older deer have an intimate knowledge of. Its only something that I got deeper into as a result of blood tracking with dogs. I’ve found though that a lot of what I’ve learned directly correlates with hunting and our hunting strategies.

One thing I’d like to learn more about in this discussion is the interdigital scent glands. A lot of stuff is passed around amongst trackers on this subject and I feel like at least some of it is being misunderstood and mostly just repeated from what someone else has said. So anyone with knowledge of it please speak up with whatever you might can add……(cough, cough Matt Brock)….Anyone though for that matter....I know there's other very knowledgeable folks out there. One particular question I would like to know is how long that interdigital scent that’s secreted onto the ground is able to be picked up on by other deer….What I’m really looking for is how long after the shot can I still pick up on it with my dogs….My assumption is 4-5 hrs or less although it could be more…..I feel like its fairly short lived in comparison to something like blood though. Also, would a wounded deer likely secrete excess amounts of scent from this gland as a result of being wounded. I could see that being an alert to other deer but it also seems like that would be bad for the wounded deer to have such a reaction and it doesn’t fit what I’d see nature behaving. One last thing I'm curious about is I see a lot of folks using the bottom of deer legs to train and saying that they are laying down the interdigital gland scent and training the dog on it. I'm a little skeptical though as to whether or not you can take a dead deer leg from the processor. stick it in the freezer, and then lay down that scent on the ground months later by just pressing the foot into the ground. It seems to me like its something that would need to be "released" by the deer so to speak....or maybe extracted by the hunter from the leg and then laid on a scent trail. Oh, yeah.....one more last thing,,,,,,Is this scent unique to each deer like a fingerprint?

Last edited by CNC; 07/02/20 12:17 PM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3159154
07/02/20 01:49 PM
07/02/20 01:49 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Now would be a good time to go to the fireworks stand and stock up on bunch of those little colored smoke bombs. Take them to the woods with you next time you go and light a few here and there....maybe in your favorite hunting spot.....and watch how the smoke flows.....Try it in different conditions at different times of the day....try one in the bottom and another 100 yards away on top of the hill etc.......... Buy a bunch of them and use them to better understand how scent is likely behaving.....Be sure to go out and try some at night as well in some of the same areas.... wink

We dont rent pigs
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3159194
07/02/20 02:59 PM
07/02/20 02:59 PM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
I’ve found that Grave digger and my piss, I better hang on.

Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: JohnnyLoco] #3159213
07/02/20 03:32 PM
07/02/20 03:32 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by JohnnyLoco
I’ve found that Grave digger and my piss, I better hang on.

I'm usually pretty good a deciphering these thing buuuuuut…….What??? grin

We dont rent pigs
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3159220
07/02/20 03:41 PM
07/02/20 03:41 PM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
I’ve tried everything they make, made, or self invented. I do this to entertain myself. One recipe I put in a spray bottle I will never divulge brings deer in pronto but when I make a mock scrape with Grave digger granules and piss in it before I sit down, the bucks come in aggressive and angry within barely enough time to sit down good. And this is being within 5 to 18 yards from them. I sit 25 yards from the scrape.

One time I sat in a tree with a 20 mph wind, I spread multiple baits out to see what they would do. I watched a buck close a thousand yards to one kernel of corn. If a person thinks a deer can’t smell them, they are delusional.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/02/20 03:44 PM.
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3159387
07/02/20 07:22 PM
07/02/20 07:22 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
What I have in mind is more along the line of things like how humidity and the dispersion index effects his ability to use his nose. There’s no doubt that a deer can smell you but there’s variables at play that make it easier and harder depending on the conditions. When we go out and track deer for folks….it can be tough as hell on the dog if it hasn’t rained in a while and the air is dry as a bone. It may be that he isn’t able to follow a scent line that he would otherwise have no problem following if the air was moist and a little rain had fallen. The deer are no different. The same variables work for them and against them. Some things to consider are that humidity levels on any given day are typically the lowest between about 12-2…..The highest levels during daylight hours are at dawn and dusk…..However, the very best scenting conditions are at night when humidity levels are at their peak and the air is being pressed to the ground.

The term dispersion index is one used in controlled burning but its worth watching for hunting as well. When burning its basically a measurement of how quickly your smoke will rise high into the atmosphere where it won’t cause any issues. It can vary on any given day from smoke quickly getting gone to smoke being held down against the ground due to atmospheric conditions. Scent is no different. On days when the dispersion levels are bad your scent may flow for several hundred yards across the terrain where as on days when you have good dispersion it may quickly dissipate into the air in comparison. Humidity and dispersion are just a couple of the variables at play and it pays to know which ones might give you a little advantage…..Dispersion levels can be found be looking up the “fire

Last edited by CNC; 07/02/20 07:23 PM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3159394
07/02/20 07:31 PM
07/02/20 07:31 PM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
It just so happens I’m an expert in olfactory confusion, suppression, and manipulation. My schooling started right here at working dog ground zero. I applied what I learned about dogs to hunting and YES these manipulative techniques do make a whale of a difference on deer.

I never do it on deer but if I’m after a particular lone boar hog, I will shut their smell down as I have K-9’s for over twenty years on hundreds of missions.

Deer can be manipulated by overwhelming their complete olfactory system is such a way they don’t care if you are there or not.

Scent does flow like water and is effected by everything and an animal’s sense of smell can be a strength or a weakness.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/02/20 07:41 PM.
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3159530
07/02/20 09:53 PM
07/02/20 09:53 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
I tracked for a guy one time that was responsible for the man tracking hounds at a prison.....He told me that the rail road tracks were one of the toughest places for the dogs to follow someone....Said the creosote "burnt the dogs nose up"

Matt Brock......If you don't know the answer to those questions its all good.....there's no shame in not knowing everything....BUT I'd be interested to hear you say that you don't know.....reason being, if you don't know....and other knowledgeable folks on here don't know either......then it highly likely that the information being passed along is BS that someone started somewhere down the line. It very well may all be true but some of the things just don't line up with what I'm seeing in the field.

We dont rent pigs
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3159554
07/02/20 10:10 PM
07/02/20 10:10 PM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
Its odd the things or little differences that can throw a dog off, they just get tired of processing the smells and there are irritants. There are a few chemicals that will shut them down completely. Another oddity I found was wearing rubber boots works to some degree depending on environmental factors as stated in previous post. Track’s ain’t the only thing they can smell.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/02/20 10:13 PM.
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: JohnnyLoco] #3159652
07/03/20 12:09 AM
07/03/20 12:09 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Its odd the things or little differences that can throw a dog off, they just get tired of processing the smells and there are irritants. There are a few chemicals that will shut them down completely. Another oddity I found was wearing rubber boots works to some degree depending on environmental factors as stated in previous post. Track’s ain’t the only thing they can smell.

I agree....They can smell where the dirt has been kicked up and stirred up the microbes in the soil......soil disturbance...….Speaking of natural causes.....dry and low humidity is gonna be a big nemesis for them as well as gusty winds....I'd say days with low humidity with good dispersion and a steady 10 ish mph wind would be good days for having the conditions help you out. If we go through a drought during bow season.....key in on those times as well. Habitat plays a factor somewhat as well.....An open "prairie", savanna, clear cut, etc....is tougher on our tracking dogs than in the woods tracking.....A lot more swirling around going on out in those open areas.Pine stands covered in solid pine needles are tough to track in as well Closed canopy hardwoods and creek bottomes seem to be one of the better scenting habitats. Maybe the rich, highly fungal soil holds scent better or something or maybe they're able to follow the soil disturbance much better......Again for anyone reading along.....even though I'm talking about tracking dogs....it still directly relates to what a deer has to deal with too

Last edited by CNC; 07/03/20 12:11 AM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3159723
07/03/20 08:01 AM
07/03/20 08:01 AM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
When a dog is trained for a particular, its almost impossible to fool them.

Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: JohnnyLoco] #3159782
07/03/20 09:17 AM
07/03/20 09:17 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
When a dog is trained for a particular, its almost impossible to fool them.

Somehow my dog Otis is able to determine whether or not a deer is fatally hit within just a few minutes of checking things out. If its not a good hit then he doesn't want to track it. He didn't do that as a young dog....its something he's developed as he's gotten older. This is not too uncommon for tracking dogs that get a lot of work as I've heard of numerous other dogs that did this as they got older as well. Its awesome that he's able to do such but it doesn't work to well when we go out on a track and he gives me the look after assessing the hit site. Of course the hunter feels like theres a dead deer out there to be found and my dog won't track it because he just must not be a good tracking dog or whatever.....I've had it happen a number of times. It sucks when it happens for someone like Cam Lanier or Enon the fist time they call you out. Those are cool places to get to go to. Happened to me last year at Sehoy for Cam's son or grandson....I forget now…..Pretty sure the deer was just clipped really low...crossbow shot from a ground blind. I took my younger dog and spent several hours looking anyways....even came back the next morning and tried again. Haven't heard back from them yet though.....It is what it is........Just part of it......One minute your a hero and 30 minutes later a zero.....The vast majority of it hinges on the hunter's shot and actions afterwards...long before I ever get there.

Last edited by CNC; 07/03/20 09:22 AM.

We dont rent pigs
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3160426
07/04/20 08:19 AM
07/04/20 08:19 AM
Lincoln, Alabama
B
blumsden Offline
12 point
blumsden  Offline
12 point
B
Lincoln, Alabama
This is what I know. There is nothing man made that can reduce scent enough for a deer not to smell you, if your scent plume reaches their nose. I try to use the wind direction and thermals to my advantage. I use no cover scents, no special clothing, and no special soaps. I see a lot of deer and kill mature bucks. I have deer come in directly down wind of me and not smell me. Why? Because my scent plume did not make it to his nose because of thermals or some other reason. All deer do not blow when they smell you, so trust me, deer are smelling you no matter how many fancy scents, soaps, or clothes you use. Dogs can smell dope wrapped in plastic submerged in a gas tank. Deer have 300 million scent receptors in their nose, dogs have 200 million, which means deer have better sense of smell. Dogs can smell cancer cells in the human body. If drugs dealers thought that fancy soap or clothes would reduce smell enough for drug dogs not to find their drugs, they would buy all of it and use it. Some people are going to go to extremes with scent control, and that's their prerogative. People watch too much TV. Somebody will say, I before I started using scent control I didn't see as many deer, well another thought is you became a better deer hunter as you age and that's why you see more deer. To each his own. I'll leave you with this. If you are going to use scent control, do it all the way, not half way. I respect the dedication of those extremists, even though I dont agree with them. Harold, read the book "The deer of north america" by Leonard Lee Rue the third. Great book and talks about the interdigital gland often.

Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3160435
07/04/20 08:38 AM
07/04/20 08:38 AM
Your Lock-on
W
Whild_Bill Online content
Crawfishing Asshat
Whild_Bill  Online Content
Crawfishing Asshat
W
Your Lock-on
I just grap a handful of pine needles and break them up to get the oils running and run down with the pine needles. Ain’t been busted by a deer in over 15 years. Next.

We Just Know What Works For Us
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: blumsden] #3160457
07/04/20 09:16 AM
07/04/20 09:16 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by blumsden
This is what I know. There is nothing man made that can reduce scent enough for a deer not to smell you, if your scent plume reaches their nose. I try to use the wind direction and thermals to my advantage. I use no cover scents, no special clothing, and no special soaps. I see a lot of deer and kill mature bucks. I have deer come in directly down wind of me and not smell me. Why? Because my scent plume did not make it to his nose because of thermals or some other reason. All deer do not blow when they smell you, so trust me, deer are smelling you no matter how many fancy scents, soaps, or clothes you use. Dogs can smell dope wrapped in plastic submerged in a gas tank. Deer have 300 million scent receptors in their nose, dogs have 200 million, which means deer have better sense of smell. Dogs can smell cancer cells in the human body. If drugs dealers thought that fancy soap or clothes would reduce smell enough for drug dogs not to find their drugs, they would buy all of it and use it. Some people are going to go to extremes with scent control, and that's their prerogative. People watch too much TV. Somebody will say, I before I started using scent control I didn't see as many deer, well another thought is you became a better deer hunter as you age and that's why you see more deer. To each his own. I'll leave you with this. If you are going to use scent control, do it all the way, not half way. I respect the dedication of those extremists, even though I dont agree with them. Harold, read the book "The deer of north america" by Leonard Lee Rue the third. Great book and talks about the interdigital gland often.

I will definitely check it out.....I appreciate that

We dont rent pigs
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3160462
07/04/20 09:29 AM
07/04/20 09:29 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Has anyone ever came across any research on deer or dogs ability to smell at night compared to during the day. I've heard a lot of different numbers this out there over the years about how far away a deer is capable of smelling you. I know I've been busted at 200 yards before. There's no one correct answer though because it completely depends on the conditions. I think it would be pretty eye opening if somehow we could determine some max ranges that deer zrs capable of picking up different scents at night....coyotes as well. Im betting that in certain situations like creek bottoms or long hollers, etc....It would not be far fetched to guess that they could pick on good odor from 500-1000 yards. If the scent satyed contained in terrain that kept it funneled it would flow for a long ways across the landscape at night....Coyotes are finding a lot of the wounded deer at right within hours of the deer being shot. Ive come to the conclusion that they're air scneting them from a good ways away because of how favorable scenting conditions are for them at night. They find them so quickly so often that you can rule out it being just random chance of just luckliy passing close

We dont rent pigs
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3160626
07/04/20 01:57 PM
07/04/20 01:57 PM
Banks of Little River
JohnnyLoco Offline
10 point
JohnnyLoco  Offline
10 point
Banks of Little River
The only way to circumvent the situation is olfactory overload where so many or strength of scents used makes them not pay attention to one over another or to shut them down completely which is easiest to do with a K9.

Animals can pinpoint by sound and smell very well.

Wax myrtle, pine, honey suckle, cedar, vanilla, combo works pretty good for deer. If I’m after a particular buck or hog I leave a sweaty t-shirt in the area for half the year.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/04/20 02:03 PM.
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3160637
07/04/20 02:15 PM
07/04/20 02:15 PM
Lincoln, Alabama
B
blumsden Offline
12 point
blumsden  Offline
12 point
B
Lincoln, Alabama
Loco, now you may be on to something. What scares deer, is anything they're not used to. Deer who live near subdivisions, hear traffic, kids playing, dogs barking, and smell humans constantly. They are not pressured, that's why they're easier to kill. You take a deer that lives in a remote area, and all of a sudden, hunting season starts, and they hear strange noises and smell strange smells, well it freaks them out.

Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3160678
07/04/20 03:06 PM
07/04/20 03:06 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
The only part about the idea of overwhelming them I'm not understanding is if thats possible with that scent combination....then what would keep them from being overwhelmed with scent at any given time since there's smells everywhere.... especially if we're talking.g wax Myrtle and oine

We dont rent pigs
Re: Making sense of scents….just my two cents. [Re: CNC] #3160688
07/04/20 03:15 PM
07/04/20 03:15 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Online content OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Online Content OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Deer are also very good at assessing what is a danger to them and that isn't....In some situations it gets deeper than just "human odor". I've got a neighbor that spends so xmuch time in the woods taking pictures of wildlife that the deer dang near just seen her just as they would a squirrel or fox.....just part of nature and not s threat despite hunting going on all around them. The doe groups on my place are very similar...they're so used smelling me year round that they'll tolerate me being in a tree during hunting season knowing I'm there. They even start trying to find me sometimes when they smell me.....just sctimg curious

We dont rent pigs
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.