</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
WTB .22 LR Bolt Action
by Cuz-Pat. 04/23/24 09:19 PM
Iso Henry Golden boy
by AustinC. 04/23/24 08:32 PM
Basketball goal.... Free
by longshot. 04/23/24 06:18 PM
FS: Henry Single Shot
by Ron A.. 04/23/24 05:41 PM
Honda Foreman 4WD
by eeua90. 04/23/24 01:35 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/24/24 02:42 PM
Future of Camo
by globe. 04/23/24 04:20 PM
Neat IL buck Story
by pickenstj. 04/23/24 01:32 PM
Tdogs mount
by TDog93. 04/21/24 08:10 PM
Taxidermist called
by Mbrock. 04/21/24 04:58 PM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Hunting Lease Insurance
by mw2015. 04/23/24 07:49 PM
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
Who's Online Now
65 registered members (LongBeards29, BAR II .270, Tigger85, Atoler, paintrock, Butchman205, Cuz-Pat, CarbonClimber1, Paxamus, Mmiller, Hunting-231, crenshawco, jsubrett6, jawbone, IDOT, UARandy3, trlrdrdave, BradB, mdavis, Chad Burnette, BCLC, Bronco 74, TravisBatey, Blessed, akbejeepin, Coosa buck, Sixpointholler, Slowclimb35, brett.smith, clayk, Highlander, Holcomb, Big Buck Video, trailertrash, kodiak06, chevydude2015, beeline08, Stickslinger91, Beer Belly, M48scout, SEWoodsWhitetail, Joe4majors, Chaser357, MS_Hunter, slanddeerhunter, AJones, frosty, UncleHuck, woodduck, geeb1, Andalusia, Ryano, Safetyman, Ditchdigger, NorthFork, 2walnuts, hoggin, NoHuntin, cbs, 6 invisible), 421 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Question for the landlords [Re: roadkill] #3096742
04/11/20 09:14 PM
04/11/20 09:14 PM
just south of the Tennesse riv...
R
roadkill Offline OP
14 point
roadkill  Offline OP
14 point
R
Great info all - scaring the hell out of me. But great info.. Seriously thinking about just leaving it as is and selling in a few years. All I have to do is maintain it.

Re: Question for the landlords [Re: roadkill] #3096807
04/11/20 11:03 PM
04/11/20 11:03 PM
Pine Hill, Al
sluggun Offline
8 point
sluggun  Offline
8 point
Pine Hill, Al
No pets inside the house. I just had to replace the laminate flooring in three rooms of my rental house because the last bunch let their dogs piss all over it. I don't know how anybody could live in there. The smell was nearly unbearable. That was the nastiness bunch of people I've ever seen. And they still owe me two months rent that I'll never get. I think I'm out about $2500 but I'm just glad they're gone.

Team Rack Addicts
2016 Aldeer Deer Champions
Re: Question for the landlords [Re: roadkill] #3096810
04/11/20 11:12 PM
04/11/20 11:12 PM
Pelham Al
T
Tigger85 Online IMG_0051.GIF
12 point
Tigger85  Online IMG_0051.GIF
12 point
T
Pelham Al
Have to stay up on paper work if they are late. If they don't have a deposit, forget it. Check credit and backgrounds fully. Look at last place they lived. Renters insurance is a must. Use cozy.co app to collect rent. You can put late fees in it. It withdraws directly from account. If they are in a hurry to move in, there is a reason. Raise rent a little above area rents. Be picky. I use LVT tile now, no carpet or laminate.

Last edited by Tigger85; 04/11/20 11:13 PM.
Re: Question for the landlords [Re: roadkill] #3096816
04/11/20 11:35 PM
04/11/20 11:35 PM
Alabama
C
Cactus_buck Offline
12 point
Cactus_buck  Offline
12 point
C
Alabama
I have two rentals and I screened religiously. Passed up a lot of people. I use a website avail.co that does ALL background checks, eviction checks, and collects ALL rent and fees. It’s all direct deposited to my account. I put $15 a month. The tenant can put in maintenance requests thru the website along with signing the lease. Everything done thru the website. All I can say is screen screen screen. I did my due diligence and I haven’t had any problems yet.

Re: Question for the landlords [Re: roadkill] #3096833
04/12/20 01:03 AM
04/12/20 01:03 AM
AL
paintrock Online happy
4 point
paintrock  Online Happy
4 point
AL
As far as timing goes, I just put a house on the market and it's pending sell within 3 days of being on the market- sell by owner. Given that the deal is not sealed yet, but I may have just got lucky in these times or else there is still a lot of folks out looking for a place and taking advantage of low interest rates which I think is actually about the only thing keeping people interested in borrowing money.

Re: Question for the landlords [Re: roadkill] #3096916
04/12/20 08:07 AM
04/12/20 08:07 AM
Florida
P
Peach Offline
10 point
Peach  Offline
10 point
P
Florida
Our last tenants was a military couple with two small children. They stayed about two years. When I went in for the final walkthrough inspection, the place was a wreck. They had glued poster board to our wallpaper! You couldn’t remove it without ripping the wallpaper to shreds. They forgot to open the flue when they built a fire. The entire living room ceiling and walls was covered in soot. They had spilled an oil based paint on the carpet in two of the bedrooms. We repaired and sold!!

Re: Question for the landlords [Re: roadkill] #3096926
04/12/20 08:19 AM
04/12/20 08:19 AM
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
300gr Offline
8 point
300gr  Offline
8 point
The Boonies a.k.a. Pickens cou...
So far I've had good luck but am picky on who rents. First one was a teacher and it was her grandparents home, she had a friend that wanted to share rent. She was a nurse, when renter one moved out renter two had a friend that wanted to share rent. She was also in medical field. Renter 3 left and renter 4 was a friend of renter 2. Renter 4 left,renter 2 left but renter 2 had friend that wanted to rent the house. She's a RN. Anyway it's worked well for me to rent to friends of previous renters with degrees and good jobs.

Last edited by 300gr; 04/12/20 08:20 AM.

Two roads diverged in the woods and I took the one with deep ruts,hills and mud.It may be bumpy but WHAT A RIDE!
Re: Question for the landlords [Re: roadkill] #3096930
04/12/20 08:23 AM
04/12/20 08:23 AM
Alabama
G
gcr0003 Offline
8 point
gcr0003  Offline
8 point
G
Alabama
Roadkill could you pm me your information? I see your location is Huntsville. Where is the rental/for sale house located? The wife is in school at UAB and I work Huntsville. The rental house we are in now is cute little house but our landlord (property manager really) are terrible and unresponsive. We’ve cleaned up the place ourselves quite a bit just because we don’t like living in a filth and broken mess. That aside we’re looking at a rental for another year then buying a house during her third year.

Tenants are rough on a house typically. My dad always said just because you’re poor doesn’t mean your have to live in trash. Meaning, just because you don’t have a huge house nice car etc. you can take care of the stuff you do have(I.e. clean cut yard and house no trash). Unfortunately, income can’t always tell you if someone is a messy person that will wreck your house. My parents spent long amounts of time sorting through tenants to fill their houses. 9/10 times they were still trashed after a few years. I always hated when they moved out because it meant I had to clean up their junk. My parents ended up selling.

I think most folks that are renting are doing so because their income/job isn’t secure enough to purchase a house or they aren’t responsible enough to take care of house. People are crappy and lots of times the deposit won’t even cover all the damages.

Re: Question for the landlords [Re: Boom] #3096948
04/12/20 08:36 AM
04/12/20 08:36 AM
Montgomery,al,usa
Davyalabama Offline
10 point
Davyalabama  Offline
10 point
Montgomery,al,usa
Originally Posted by Bmyers142
Get an application, copy of identifications and run a background check thoroughly. Talk to past landlords, check credit, references, jobs references, and arrest history. I get 30 dollars and give them an application which ask everything about them. (we do $45, but that is what our system charges us). Also look at the current bills ( can they afford it). If you need and application PM me your email address and I will send you a copy.

Originally Posted by scrape
do inspections and don't let one thing slide. if they won't pay for the first thing they damage then there will be more.
. (Make sure you do a preinspection with them, walk through the house together. Each of you notate on the inspection what is wrong, at the end, both of you look over the preinspection and sign it, get a copy and give to them. This preinspection has helped us at the end of the lease.)

Originally Posted by Boom
We don't have enough information to give you an answer. (location, pictures, school system, avg rents in area, etc). Yep, all that counts in the decision making. You need good tenants is easy to say, but hard to find.

Some people have what it takes to be a landlord and some don't. It's a great business for the right person and the tax benefits are good. Don't get in the business unless you plan on getting upwards of 10+ houses, and at that point you need to have a management company in place taking care of everything. For the average investor it's not worthwhile to just own one (too many headaches for the return).

Since it's paid off, I'd say yours is worth taking a shot at renting, but I say that without having enough info from you to tell you plainly what I'd do. (yep, agreed). For doing it yourself - get a bulletproof lease that gets down to the nitty gritty, then hold the tenant to it. (Here is where the rubber meets the road is this lease, but you have to stick to your end too). (Get a lawyer to draw it up for you or go to an online lawyer type app that will help you draw it up). (You have to stick to the lease too)

Try to rent to mature working class couples - no singles, especially not single moms or young people - who have a good job history and income. (unfortunately, you get single moms wanting to lease, and they want to include the child support on there, don't count that, you know how many dead beat dads there are out there ---- I'm not saying everyone is, I'm just saying, don't count that as income ---- Also, she gets married in 6 months and wants to break the lease, "We're moving in together!).

Get 2x the rent up front and make sure they understand what the expectations are. (You have to hold them to this). Tell them straight up here's what happens in the event that you don't pay. If you say the rent is late on the 5th, then that's what it is and enforce your late fees. It's a good idea to get them on auto pay with their bank. (Yep, charge the late fees, if you don't, they will be late every month after that with a story). (They have to have skin in the game to make it worth their while to pay you). When they give you trouble - don't give them an inch. Per my leases - after the 10th of the month I send the Pay or Quit notice and go to raising hell. (We haven't had that problem, yet, but we stick to our rules).

If they suck at life - GET RID OF THEM QUICK....BUT....Eventually YOU WILL get a good God-fearing tenant that does what they're supposed to do. (yep)

Treat that person like your favorite customer - like an old repeat customer who you love to see. Send them thank you notes and $40 home depot / target gift cards for sticking with you. Talk to them when you go by to check on things. Keep them happy. (Don't get to be friends with them, but treat them like a valued customer ------- Think of Norm on the show Cheers, everyone loved him, everyone knew him, Sam was friends with him, but he didn't pay his bill.) (Think of how you want to be treated. ) (That $40 and a hand-written thank you note will go a long wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy).

But the avg people - keep them on a leash and be hard on them. I mean treat them like crap, until you get the good ones. BOOM
. (I wouldn't say treat them like crap, but I would say to stay on them. Raise some stink about the way the property looked when you drove by, the late fees are never waved, do inspections and raise some cane about the way the house looks and the fact they aren't changing the air filters). (Be on them about how if they yard isn't kept better, you will hire some to cut the yard, charge them for your time and the grass cutting companies expense).

(Do an inspection every year they are there. Get your original inspection sheet and a new one. Walk through with them. Write it down. Both should sign the new inspection sheet.).
(We put in our leases that we will hire someone to come out and trim hedges twice a year, it is up to the tenant to pay that). (Very few tenants are going to trim hedges the way you want them trimmed or at the appropriate time of the year - also, if they did, where are they going to put the stuff they cut off?). (We also charge them twice a year for weed control - this is in the areas where we have nice houses in neighborhoods and want to have a nice bermuda lawn, we don't do this with the two properties in the country)

(Hopefully your place doesn't have a pool, but if it does, do one of two things ------- Fill it in. ------ Get a lawyer to draw up the lease. You are going to have to be protected from your own property, and a pool is probably the worst liability we have at one of our houses. This was our house, now, we moved and are renting it out. Also, don't count on them to take care of the pool, you will need to have in the lease you will choose a pool company to manage the pool. They will pay you that in their lease, it is just part of the lease agreement. You send the bill to them, they include that portion with the rent check.). Then, go out and get a huge insurance umbrella to cover you)

(One other piece of advice, put the property and every property into a separate llc.). (This will protect you in case something happens). (The Llc can be sued, but it leaves your other properties out of the equation)

Sorry this is so long, I used what other people have said along with my .01 of thoughts.

“If you do not conquer self, you will be conquered by self.” Napoleon Hill
The most difficult thing to understand during conversation is silence. Thoreau
Re: Question for the landlords [Re: roadkill] #3097182
04/12/20 12:52 PM
04/12/20 12:52 PM
Chelsea, AL
straycat Offline
Old Mossy Horns
straycat  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Chelsea, AL
Lease option would be a good thing for that property. It's more than your typical rental.
Buyer pays you a good down payment, they own the property but you hold the owner financing and can take the property back if they decide to not purchase or quit paying.

"The grass withers, the flower fades, But the word of our God stands forever." Isaiah 40:8

"Neither the wisest constitution nor the wisest laws will secure the liberty and happiness of a people whose manners are universally corrupt.� Samuel Adams
Re: Question for the landlords [Re: straycat] #3097218
04/12/20 01:27 PM
04/12/20 01:27 PM
R
roadkill Offline OP
14 point
roadkill  Offline OP
14 point
R
Originally Posted by straycat
Lease option would be a good thing for that property. It's more than your typical rental.
Buyer pays you a good down payment, they own the property but you hold the owner financing and can take the property back if they decide to not purchase or quit paying.

Good option - hadn't considered that one.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.