</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Mathews lift 29.5
by Bows4evr. 04/18/24 09:53 PM
Trade or sell
by buzzbait. 04/18/24 05:07 PM
95 Ford F250 HD
by Rudy. 04/18/24 02:15 PM
WTB RugerMK IV 22/45 tactical
by JLavender. 04/17/24 08:08 PM
2011 Toyota RAV4
by jsubrett6. 04/16/24 10:00 PM
Serious Deer Talk
Tdogs mount
by Jdkprp70. 04/18/24 09:55 PM
Windy.com
by quailman. 04/18/24 09:46 PM
First cwd transmission to human?
by donia. 04/18/24 06:53 AM
seems like
by donia. 04/17/24 04:01 PM
Southern Illinois Hunting
by jdhunter2011. 04/17/24 11:42 AM
April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
Help against Timber Company
by winlamberth. 04/17/24 11:31 PM
South Side Hunting Club (Baldwin County)
by Stickslinger91. 04/15/24 10:38 AM
Lease Prices in Lamar Co.
by Luxfisher. 04/12/24 05:38 PM
Kansas Muzzleloader/Bow
by Letshunt. 04/11/24 03:15 PM
G&E Hunting Club Questions
by booner. 04/11/24 01:11 PM
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (OlTimer, Holcomb, Frankie, Jotjackson), 529 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: Cousneddy] #2981709
12/11/19 10:13 AM
Northeast Al
M
mackdaddy Offline
10 point
mackdaddy  Offline
10 point
M
Northeast Al
I was air lifted from gasden to st Vincent’s the bill was 60k don’t remember it but worth every penny

Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: doekiller] #2981710
Montgomery, Alabama
jaredhunts Offline
Puts sugar in his cornbread!
jaredhunts  Offline
Puts sugar in his cornbread!
Montgomery, Alabama
Originally Posted by doekiller
You need to check with blue cross. If it is an in network air evac, they are not allowed under the contract to bill you the amount blue cross doesn’t pay. There was actually an article about this on al.com this week.

I dont see how an operation could stay a float if it's not in the network. Hopefully it will get adjusted and insurance will cover most of it.

It be's that way sometimes.

www.sunpoolcompany.com
Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: M48scout] #2981717
12/11/19 10:27 AM
12/11/19 10:27 AM
HSV AL
jmudler Offline
Freak of Nature
jmudler  Offline
Freak of Nature
HSV AL
Originally Posted by M48scout
I would be interested in any detailed information/links that anyone has on supplemental policies that cover these type events. I see plenty out there for specific flight companies, but what happens if you are incapacitated and can’t tell them which helicopter company to use? In the event they choose some random flight company, I would want a policy that covers those type events.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter.
Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: Cousneddy] #2981723
12/11/19 10:34 AM
12/11/19 10:34 AM
Alabama
W
whack-n-stack Offline
Booner
whack-n-stack  Offline
Booner
W
Alabama
It’s a good idea to pay for the service. I bought 5 of the biggest smoke bombs I could find at the fireworks stands couple years ago and keep two in my boat drybox, two in my truck, and one in my hunting pack just in case. If you or someone with you needs a helicopter, every second counts.

Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: whack-n-stack] #2981746
12/11/19 10:54 AM
12/11/19 10:54 AM
Fayetteville TN Via Selma
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by whack-n-stack
If you or someone with you needs a helicopter, every second counts.

Not always. Our local ambulance service has two ambulances to serve Dallas and Lowndes county. Many times, when an officer requested a ETA on an ambulance we were told that they were having to get one out of Montgomery because the local ones were tied up. In order to keep as many of the local ones free during peak times, if someone needs to be transported to B'ham, Montgomery or Tuscaloosa as in my wife's case, the local guys will bypass the local hospital and take the patient straight to the helipad to fly them out. They do this in order to keep the local ambulances free to catch more calls instead of being tied up transporting out of town. I personally have responded to a situation where a woman broke here forearm. Not even a compound fracture, but since Selma at that time didn't have an orthopedist, she was put on a helicopter to Montgomery. This was not an isolated incident either.

My wife was in pain when she broke he hip, but I guarantee, she would have chosen to bear it out for the 20 minutes that the helicopter beat me to Tuscaloosa and ridden with me if she had known that BCBS would only pay $11,000 of the $61,000 and she would be stuck with a $50,000 bill.

Lord, please help us get our nation straightened out.
Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: jawbone] #2981776
12/11/19 11:16 AM
12/11/19 11:16 AM
C
casper36092 Offline
4 point
casper36092  Offline
4 point
C
Originally Posted by jawbone

Not always. Our local ambulance service has two ambulances to serve Dallas and Lowndes county. Many times, when an officer requested a ETA on an ambulance we were told that they were having to get one out of Montgomery because the local ones were tied up. In order to keep as many of the local ones free during peak times, if someone needs to be transported to B'ham, Montgomery or Tuscaloosa as in my wife's case, the local guys will bypass the local hospital and take the patient straight to the helipad to fly them out. They do this in order to keep the local ambulances free to catch more calls instead of being tied up transporting out of town. I personally have responded to a situation where a woman broke here forearm. Not even a compound fracture, but since Selma at that time didn't have an orthopedist, she was put on a helicopter to Montgomery. This was not an isolated incident either.

My wife was in pain when she broke he hip, but I guarantee, she would have chosen to bear it out for the 20 minutes that the helicopter beat me to Tuscaloosa and ridden with me if she had known that BCBS would only pay $11,000 of the $61,000 and she would be stuck with a $50,000 bill.

are you have=ing to finance the remainding payment like a house or car at like 600 a month?

Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: Cousneddy] #2981777
12/11/19 11:18 AM
12/11/19 11:18 AM
Clanton, AL
Out back Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Out back  Offline
Grumpy Old Man
Clanton, AL
If anybody ever puts me on another helicopter, I will be unconscious.
And if I don't die, I will stomp his ass when I get well.

My opinions and comments are my own. They do not reflect the position or political opinions of Aldeer or any of the Aldeer administration.
Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: casper36092] #2981783
12/11/19 11:26 AM
12/11/19 11:26 AM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by casper36092

are you have=ing to finance the remainding payment like a house or car at like 600 a month?

My wife is making payments on it from the money she makes tutoring Chinese kids every morning and most evenings. She did all that and I honestly don't know what the arrangements are.

Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: doekiller] #2981788
12/11/19 11:27 AM
12/11/19 11:27 AM
Meridianville
DryFire Offline
14 point
DryFire  Offline
14 point
Meridianville
Originally Posted by doekiller
You need to check with blue cross. If it is an in network air evac, they are not allowed under the contract to bill you the amount blue cross doesn’t pay. There was actually an article about this on al.com this week.

I thought air evac was like Anesthesiologists. Ain't none of them in a network. I pay $65 a year to cover The Boss and I.

Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: Cousneddy] #2981800
12/11/19 11:42 AM
12/11/19 11:42 AM
Limestone county
N
nacho Offline
8 point
nacho  Offline
8 point
N
Limestone county
Insurance is the problem with health care and specifically the government being in the insurance business.

As far as billing goes remember the helicopter service only get paid when they physically have a patient on board, all the times they launch but are canceled or don’t transport cost as well and I’m sure it’s passed on to the folks that do pay. Also realize in Alabama the flight crew can do more advanced procedures then the medics on the ground and also some do carry blood on the air craft. Flying patients from hospital to hospital normally has to be pre approved by insurance and the doctors before calling them.

Air methods which is a parent company to several helicopter services shut down several bases this year mainly over all the insurance changes and bs.

We need a helicopter base close to or in limestone county again the closet aircraft is 20-25 mins away.

The secret to a long marriage is to keep on dating, just as you did before marriage. We have "date night" once a week.
Hers is Saturday, mine is Thursday.

The only time a married woman gives those is if your not married to them!
Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: Cousneddy] #2981819
12/11/19 12:08 PM
12/11/19 12:08 PM
Meridianville
DryFire Offline
14 point
DryFire  Offline
14 point
Meridianville
My air evac insurance is through AirMedCare. I got this email from them this morning asking me to contact my representatives in Congress to oppose S.1895. One provision of this bill would end the surprise billing from air evac providers.

Sec. 105. Ending surprise air ambulance bills.
 Patients are held harmless from surprise air ambulance bills. Patients are only required to pay the in-network cost sharing amount for air ambulance transport, and air ambulance providers are barred from sending patients balance bills for more than the in-network cost-sharing amount.
 For surprise air ambulance bills, health plans would pay air ambulance providers the local median contracted commercial amount that the insurer negotiated with other providers and agreed upon in that geographic area.
 Health plans without enough internal data to calculate median contracted rates in a particular geographic area have the option of using unbiased external data sources, such as a state’s all-payer claims database, to establish a benchmark.

Currently air evac billing is unregulated by Congress.

I'm doing the opposite and have contracted my representatives saying I support the passing of S.1895.

Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: jawbone] #2981849
12/11/19 12:50 PM
12/11/19 12:50 PM
Central Alabama
MC21 Offline
10 point
MC21  Offline
10 point
Central Alabama

Why did the woman who broke her arm even need an ambulance? Seems like that could have been handled by POV to Baptist south. If you are in a life threatening situation (Gunshot, Brain bleed trauma etc.) Time does matter. I do believe CARE ambulance only has 1 truck in Lowndes and 1 truck in Dallas. 2 in Autauga and not sure how many in Montgomery. I hate to say it but I do understand taking people straight to the helipad in Selma. The Vaughan does not have the services to deal with anything serious as far as trauma. Just like Prattville, It has a good ER and good ER physicians but all they can really do is stabilize the patient and either send them to Baptist South or UAB. And if you make your only truck in the county go all the way to UAB or even Montgomery you take away that ambulance for at least 2 hours. Plus, I do not think either of the trucks in Lowndes or Dallas are critical care trucks. Im no expert on the subject but I have worked in a hospital before and had the job of helping arrange transports. It can be stressful. Im sure you know all about that being a former LEO

Last edited by MC21; 12/11/19 12:53 PM.
Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: Cousneddy] #2981856
12/11/19 01:06 PM
12/11/19 01:06 PM
Old Florida
Geno Offline
Booner
Geno  Offline
Booner
Old Florida
Any time the government mandates the use of a private business, it becomes THE problem even if it wasn't already. Insurance is indeed the major problem but not the only one.

Consider this: Individuals are currently required by law to have vehicle insurance in 48 out of 50 states. Individuals who can afford to self insure are not given the option to do so in any of them. At the same time, governments (city/county/state) are allowed to self insure (often without even having to escrow the money they claim to have to cover required minimums).

The cost for most rotary wing aircraft are around $400 an hour of air time. Add to that a medical crew that consists of at least one advanced life support paramedic or a nurse (sometimes there will be additional crew members if needed - up to and including a physician(s)). Those costs are pretty easy to figure out with some simple math. You can negotiate any and all costs with them.

Here is a detailed study from 2017 of the costs of emergent air medical transport conducted by the air transport association for the US. It will be skewed upward of course but you can still use this as the basis for your negotiations. The air transport company will most likely try to screw you if they can.

https://aams.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Air-Medical-Services-Cost-Study-Report.pdf

Private insurance with no government intrusion/mandates who are transparent are fine with me. Non-transparent methodologies and government mandated insurance is an absolutely disgraceful abuse of a poorly educated populace.

Whoever is happy will make others happy too. Anne Frank
Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: MC21] #2981869
12/11/19 01:50 PM
12/11/19 01:50 PM
jawbone Offline
Freak of Nature
jawbone  Offline
Freak of Nature
Originally Posted by MC21

Why did the woman who broke her arm even need an ambulance? Seems like that could have been handled by POV to Baptist south. If you are in a life threatening situation (Gunshot, Brain bleed trauma etc.) Time does matter. I do believe CARE ambulance only has 1 truck in Lowndes and 1 truck in Dallas. 2 in Autauga and not sure how many in Montgomery. I hate to say it but I do understand taking people straight to the helipad in Selma. The Vaughan does not have the services to deal with anything serious as far as trauma. Just like Prattville, It has a good ER and good ER physicians but all they can really do is stabilize the patient and either send them to Baptist South or UAB. And if you make your only truck in the county go all the way to UAB or even Montgomery you take away that ambulance for at least 2 hours. Plus, I do not think either of the trucks in Lowndes or Dallas are critical care trucks. Im no expert on the subject but I have worked in a hospital before and had the job of helping arrange transports. It can be stressful. Im sure you know all about that being a former LEO

She was involved in an auto crash to which an ambulance was called, probably by a witness. One of the Dallas County ambulances is often stationed at the Tyler Volunteer Fire Department so they can respond to both Dallas or Lowndes County. Time matters on critical calls, but not so much on broken forearms. Sadly, air transports are simply a way for the ambulance drivers to remain free for other calls. And the truth is they know that in Selma, the person that they will be flying will often times not pay the ambulance bill and they certainly won't pay the helicopter bill leaving the rest of us to make up the difference so they can have the service. For many, if not most, of Selma an ambulance is just a free taxi ride to the ER for free (in their minds) medical services. Of course, we all know who ends up paying for it in the end.

Last edited by jawbone; 12/11/19 08:59 PM.

Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: Cousneddy] #2981879
12/11/19 02:00 PM
12/11/19 02:00 PM
Back on the line
Solo Offline
10 point
Solo  Offline
10 point
Back on the line
I was air lifted out by Erlanger’s helicopters in 2000 from a National Park. At that time, insurance paid 100% once the out of pocket was met.

Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: Geno] #2981912
12/11/19 02:37 PM
12/11/19 02:37 PM
Montgomery
WmHunter Offline
14 point
WmHunter  Offline
14 point
Montgomery
Originally Posted by Geno

Here is a detailed study from 2017 of the costs of emergent air medical transport conducted by the air transport association for the US. It will be skewed upward of course but you can still use this as the basis for your negotiations. The air transport company will most likely try to screw you if they can.

https://aams.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Air-Medical-Services-Cost-Study-Report.pdf

Based on the tables in that study and comparing to the prices that were charged as reported here and elsewhere - and it looks like the air transport
folks are charging 4 to 8 times actually cost.

That is a great return on investment.

"The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson

" Chuck Sykes is a dictator control freak like Vladimir Putin " WmHunter

Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: DryFire] #2981938
12/11/19 02:54 PM
12/11/19 02:54 PM
Your mom’s house
doekiller Offline
Freak of Nature
doekiller  Offline
Freak of Nature
Your mom’s house

Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: M48scout] #2982041
12/11/19 04:23 PM
12/11/19 04:23 PM
Right Behind You
W
William Offline
Booner
William  Offline
Booner
W
Right Behind You
Originally Posted by M48scout
I would be interested in any detailed information/links that anyone has on supplemental policies that cover these type events. I see plenty out there for specific flight companies, but what happens if you are incapacitated and can’t tell them which helicopter company to use? In the event they choose some random flight company, I would want a policy that covers those type events.

X2

"The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing... compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."

Joan Robinson
Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: DryFire] #2982042
12/11/19 04:25 PM
12/11/19 04:25 PM
Alabama
R
Rmart30 Offline
10 point
Rmart30  Offline
10 point
R
Alabama
Originally Posted by TexasNative
My air evac insurance is through AirMedCare. .

Not showing coverage in BHam and Montgomery from what I saw.

Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching - even when doing the wrong thing is legal. Aldo Leopold .. (except when it comes to trailer tags)
Re: Got my bill for Air Evac [Re: Cousneddy] #2982090
12/11/19 05:52 PM
12/11/19 05:52 PM
Satsuma, AL
R
Robert D. Offline
12 point
Robert D.  Offline
12 point
R
Satsuma, AL
Got airlifted from Little River A: to USA W & C in Mobile (30-40 miles as crow flies).

$37k and change bill. Insurance was not going to pay any of it to start with. I'm of course flipping out as to what I'm gonna do.

I'm in bed at home recovering a few weeks later and I see the same Air Medivac helicopter has delivered a football (the game ball. whatever that means) to J U Blacksher High School's opening football game. I can only presume as a publicity stunt.

WHO paid for THAT flight? I about lost my shucks over that one.

I was NOT bleeding much at all, wasn't unconscious, wasn't in cardiac arrest. Why did I need the helicopter? Who made that call? Local yokel on the Rescue Squad. You can just imagine what an ethical/moral dilemma it is to feel anger toward people who came to get you off the side of the road.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.