</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Looking for Lowrance Ghost or 24v Ultrex
by bradbathome. 03/28/24 08:17 PM
Turkey loads/decoy
by Rem870s2. 03/28/24 04:41 PM
Wtb Browning 300 Mag
by desertdog. 03/28/24 03:36 PM
WTB Chevy 1500
by Okalona. 03/28/24 07:44 AM
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Mbrock. 03/28/24 08:56 PM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by SEWoodsWhitetail. 03/28/24 10:45 AM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
153 registered members (gwstang, BobK, jake5050, 4Tigers, Canterberry, AU coonhunter, CarbonClimber1, cullmanbamafan, Atoler, Auburn1716, JHL, timberwolfe, Nowlide, Ol’Tom, brianr, jb20, 4ssss, gatorbait154, Coosa1, CTMS, MarksOutdoors, RSF, Narrow Gap, treemydog, cullbuck, !shiloh!, DoeMaster, TurkeyJoe, cchoque93, Joe4majors, hallb, Jay512, Safetyman, Chiller, AuGrayghost, giftedkiller, kyles, apolloslade, doc bar, TDog93, joe sixpack, AU338MAG, Paint Rock 00, fish_blackbass, bambam32, quailman, Noler_Swamp, GUT_SHOT, Turkeyneck78, BCLC, jwalker77, Cahabariverrat, jhardy, brett.smith, GomerPyle, lpman, trlrdrdave, mzzy, Scout308, DoeNut, Dave_H, Overland, Andalusia, MountainTopHunter, dirtwrk, Woody1, CatfishJunkie, taggedout, HURRICANE, bradbathome, chevydude2015, Jmfire722, CNC, catdoctor, ronfromramer, BC_Reb, need2hunt, HappyHunter, btfl, gobbler, BhamFred, shootnmiss, ImThere, doublefistful, JAT, jmj120, Rickster, rutwad, Rainbowstew, Mbrock, RidgeRanger, fishunt1001, 3006bullet, hoggin, Okalona, AlabamaPhi, beetrapper, dwaugh, jake44, farmerjay, Turkeytrott82, lefthorn, donia, Cuz-Pat, fur_n_feathers, mdf, russellb, Chaser357, ChiefO, Jtide, UA Hunter, Hix14, workn4livn, outdoorguy88, Bandit635, AU7MM08, Dekalb123, MikeP, DThrash, AustinC, 2walnuts, Herdbull, jsubrett6, desertdog, RayDog, Bmyers142, Paxamus, tucker07, eclipse829, OutdoorsAL, SEWoodsWhitetail, BAR II .270, Skullworks, Luxfisher, Haybale, 7PTSPREAD, jarcher38, NoHuntin, jlbuc10, georgiaboy1970, JA, Omega One, BrandonClark, Big AL 76, 9 invisible), 484 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: Ben2] #2826379
06/10/19 08:08 AM
06/10/19 08:08 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted by Ben2
7.2 weighed at lay lake Saturday. It seems like the summer months are when the big girls get caught on the coosa to me. In the spring you get lots of 4-6 lbers with once a year someone has a 9or 10. In the summer a lot of 6-8s show up, not like 3 per tournament but it's like 1 giant is weighed every week or two from now til August.

I would like to be on a shocking boat and see what happens. The one person I know who has done it said the number of 4-6lb fish would blow your mind and make you realize how bad a fisherman we all are.

That's a good reply, and I wouldn't really argue with it. 4-6 pound fish don't raise my eyebrow, they're really common (I believe we've had a 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 fish weighed in every tournament our club has held this year) And the way you said it doesn't make it sound like I'm a fool with a Snoopy pole because I haven't caught one (here's looking at you, Beadle)

I'm not sure why everybody gets their doggone panties wadded up when I say "8 pound fish are highly unusual on the Coosa", but this is twice now that I've said it and folks have lost their everloving minds about it. My main point was consider how lucky you have to be, to be the THE PERSON who catches that 8 pound fish in a $10,000 ABT. It would be a really lucky day to go to Neely or Logan and catch an 8+ pounder, but it would be a REALLY lucky day to do it in the ABT or any other big-money derby. And while 20+ pounds has become much more common on the Coosa, still consider how infrequently you catch that size limit, and then how lucky you are to do so in a $10,000 ABT. THAT is all I'm saying!!!!!! I'm just blown away at the lucky odds people have.

If you can read between the lines, what you ought to take away from my position is that I do not believe skill is involved, it's 95% luck. Maybe that's where I differ from others, and maybe that's why folks are taking me to task about it. To hear Beadle put it, I'm "skilled" enough to catch 7-8+ pound fish each year on other lakes (including a 10# at Wedowee), and I'm skilled enough to catch 6-1/2 pound fish on the Coosa, but I'm not skilled enough to catch an 8 pound fish on the Coosa???????? Bullshux!!! It ain't about skill!!! It's simply the odds because that many fish of that size don't live there. It's loooooooong odds.

Here's something I thought about earlier that I wanted to point out... Remember a few years ago when Hunter & Canada were winning all these Coosa tournaments with huge bags of spots? Everybody basically ran them out of town because they thought they were cheating. Well here's what should surprise you-- that didn't seem crazy to me at all. THAT is what the Coosa is known for, and it wasn't that uncommon for us to go have 20+ pounds of spots below the dams (we were doing that before it was cool I guess you could say) We used to often put in on 77 right there at Ohatchee creek below Neely dam in the afternoons and it wasn't common to run up there and catch a couple of 5 pound spots. (But even that has become way less easy now) That's all those guys were guilty of--being the first fools to run an hour from Pell City to the Ohatchee dam to catch those huge spots. So it just blows my mind that people were that bent out of shape about two guys catching what (at that time) was plentiful on the Coosa, but apparently those same people think everybody always catches 8 pound largemouths on the Coosa. loco

We were on the edge of Eternia, when the power of Greyskull began to take hold.
Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: MTeague] #2826382
06/10/19 08:12 AM
06/10/19 08:12 AM
RBC, AL
D
Drake322 Offline
10 point
Drake322  Offline
10 point
D
RBC, AL
I have been on Neely all my life. Fished back in the days of 10 fish bags and a good bag be 38 pounds. Had a couple 34 pound bags back in the 80s. Was fortunate enough to catch a 7.5 in a tx with 33 pounds total to win it all. That is the biggest fish I have caught on Neely. One afternoon we caught 2 dip nets full of spots and LMs weighing 122 pounds and put them in the freezer. Did not think twice about it either. My Dad has a 7 & a 10 on the wall that came from the same stump on back to back casts in Beaver Creek back in 70s. Wont hear anything like that today!

There are some guys that just have "IT". These local guys also are the ones that can put 3-4 days a week fishing too. Keep up with the latest trends, tactics, patterns etc. With the time they put into the sport they still have the "IT" factor too. I have seen it through the years. Some of these guys wont go fishing for 2-3 weeks and step out and catch quality fish and not think a thing about it. It just comes natural. I have a close friend that is this way. Did not have a bass boat for over a year while he was building their house. Got moved in, bought a boat and the first day he was back on the water bam, the pics started rolling in to my phone. He has the "IT" factor.

I will say this also, someone like me that lives 1/2 mile from boat launch and tries to go every chance I get, is sometimes at a disadvantage. You just want to fish, so you fish close to ramp, like everyone else does to all these pressured fish that has seen every bait made. Makes it hard to enjoy the two hours you have this afternoon when you cannot even get a bite.

Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: MTeague] #2826385
06/10/19 08:16 AM
06/10/19 08:16 AM
Right Behind You
W
William Offline
Booner
William  Offline
Booner
W
Right Behind You
I caught a 9+ on Logan once. I hate that lake.

"The misery of being exploited by capitalists is nothing... compared to the misery of not being exploited at all."

Joan Robinson
Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: ikillbux] #2826387
06/10/19 08:19 AM
06/10/19 08:19 AM
Pelham
Ben2 Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Ben2  Offline
Old Mossy Horns
Pelham
Originally Posted by ikillbux
[quote=Ben2]7.2 weighed at lay lake Saturday.

Here's something I thought about earlier that I wanted to point out... Remember a few years ago when Hunter & Canada were winning all these Coosa tournaments with huge bags of spots? Everybody basically ran them out of town because they thought they were cheating. Well here's what should surprise you-- that didn't seem crazy to me at all.

That was not crazy and not what got them run out of town. Them winning all over the state like at the mobile delta, Alabama River and on the coosa with huge bags of largemouths while not even fishing for large amounts of time during tournaments raised eyebrows and my understanding is double dipping on Triton Gold and Nitro bonus money sealed the deal.

Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: Ben2] #2826453
06/10/19 09:48 AM
06/10/19 09:48 AM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
[quote=Ben2]7.2 weighed at lay lake Saturday.

Here's something I thought about earlier that I wanted to point out... Remember a few years ago when Hunter & Canada were winning all these Coosa tournaments with huge bags of spots? Everybody basically ran them out of town because they thought they were cheating. Well here's what should surprise you-- that didn't seem crazy to me at all.

That was not crazy and not what got them run out of town. Them winning all over the state like at the mobile delta, Alabama River and on the coosa with huge bags of largemouths while not even fishing for large amounts of time during tournaments raised eyebrows and my understanding is double dipping on Triton Gold and Nitro bonus money sealed the deal.

grin grin Well I wasn't going there, but.... (I seem to remember multiple times when their GoPro didn't work either) I guess I was just thinking about how the local folks would gasp when they brought in 21 pounds of spots, and I was like, "what's the big deal?" I don't know if they brought in an 8#'r though rofl

Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: ikillbux] #2826700
06/10/19 01:41 PM
06/10/19 01:41 PM

O
outdoorobsession
Unregistered
outdoorobsession
Unregistered
O

Hell, y'all act like double digit bass live under every boat dock. Yet I'm the one who thinks he's better than he really is..... SMH

I think they do!

I catch those big double digit bass all the time.

Heck..I dont catch many single digit bass ever.

Oh wait...thats cause I fish for those big STRIPED BASS...never mind.... grin

Yall are fishing for the wrong species. Heck..I use fish the size yall catch..FOR BAIT! thumbup

Last edited by outdoorobsession; 06/10/19 01:43 PM.
Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: ] #2826719
06/10/19 02:01 PM
06/10/19 02:01 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted by outdoorobsession
Hell, y'all act like double digit bass live under every boat dock. Yet I'm the one who thinks he's better than he really is..... SMH

I think they do!

I catch those big double digit bass all the time.

Heck..I dont catch many single digit bass ever.

Oh wait...thats cause I fish for those big STRIPED BASS...never mind.... grin

Yall are fishing for the wrong species. Heck..I use fish the size yall catch..FOR BAIT! thumbup

laugh slap

Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: ikillbux] #2826727
06/10/19 02:08 PM
06/10/19 02:08 PM
Madison County
bobwallace Offline
10 point
bobwallace  Offline
10 point
Madison County
I'm not sure why everybody gets their doggone panties wadded up when I say "8 pound fish are highly unusual on the Coosa", but this is twice now that I've said it and folks have lost their everloving minds about it. :

If there is one person getting their panties wadded up in this thread, it is you. Just because others do something you haven't, doesn't mean it is just luck on their part. Sure it may be unusual to do it, but it can obviously be done and is done.

Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.
Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: MTeague] #2826766
06/10/19 02:47 PM
06/10/19 02:47 PM
Slidell, La
perchjerker Offline
Freak of Nature
perchjerker  Offline
Freak of Nature
Slidell, La
DoubleO, this thread is not about trash fish! rofl You are talking about CARP aren;t you????

BOB, is yer envelope blinking?

Last edited by perchjerker; 06/10/19 02:51 PM.

Thomas Jefferson. The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.

Life is too short to only hunt and fish on weekends!

If being a dumbass was fatal some of you would be on your death bed!

Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: bobwallace] #2826788
06/10/19 03:19 PM
06/10/19 03:19 PM
Anniston, AL
ikillbux Offline
ishootatbux
ikillbux  Offline
ishootatbux
Anniston, AL
Originally Posted by bobwallace
I'm not sure why everybody gets their doggone panties wadded up when I say "8 pound fish are highly unusual on the Coosa", but this is twice now that I've said it and folks have lost their everloving minds about it. :

If there is one person getting their panties wadded up in this thread, it is you. Just because others do something you haven't, doesn't mean it is just luck on their part. Sure it may be unusual to do it, but it can obviously be done and is done.

People win the lottery. People get struck by lightning (some have been struck more than once). Those things obviously have been done. Were you trying to prove a point? I'm a lot of things, but damn fool enough to believe 8 pound largemouth are caught from the Coosa river on purpose ain't one of them.

Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: MTeague] #2826795
06/10/19 03:29 PM
06/10/19 03:29 PM
Madison County
bobwallace Offline
10 point
bobwallace  Offline
10 point
Madison County
Yeah. The point was to quit bitching about it. Carry on.

Yeah, well, I always heard there were three kinds of suns in Kansas: sunshine, sunflowers, and sons-of-bitches.
Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: perchjerker] #2826980
06/10/19 07:49 PM
06/10/19 07:49 PM

O
outdoorobsession
Unregistered
outdoorobsession
Unregistered
O

Originally Posted by perchjerker
DoubleO, this thread is not about trash fish! rofl You are talking about CARP aren;t you????

BOB, is yer envelope blinking?

Trash fish???

Larry I hope they eat every dang bass wherever your fishing! They are King of the fresh water lakes...No predator except us Striper guys! grin

heck..if it werent for us stripers guys YOUD HAVE NO FISH to catch.....the fish we catch eat yours like you eat Sonic corn dogs..... rofl

Im trying to control em for you bass guys as most hate stripers! thumbup

Heck those lil bass? theyre the size of my bait!

Honestly..Ill be fishing..see one of my rods jerking a little..think..Hmmm..that baits pretty active....after 3 or four minutes..i realize some dang 3 pound bass ate my bait.LOL.

I dont even feel em reeling em in..just pull em up and chuck em back. Dang nuisance is what those dang little bass are. smile

Just kidding Yall...I like bass fishing too! thumbup Just had to mess with yall.

Last edited by outdoorobsession; 06/10/19 07:55 PM.
Re: Neely Henry - ABT Live Weigh In [Re: Ben2] #2827038
06/10/19 08:36 PM
06/10/19 08:36 PM
Over Yonder
C
Clem Offline
Mildly Quirky
Clem  Offline
Mildly Quirky
C
Over Yonder

I would like to be on a shocking boat and see what happens.

I've been on one here at Guntersville with the TVA guys. This was 20ish years ago, and they let two anglers fish an hour before they started the shocking. If you know the lake, they used a giant block net on the King Hollow cove on 227 that goes to the state park from the city. It's where the boat ramp is there right after you cross the bridge.

Donny Mac and I fished in there for an hour - spinnerbaits, jigs, worms, shallow cranks, tubes, anything we could think of to try to catch a 12-incher. Didn't get a bite. We stayed the last 20 minutes on one big dead pine tree that had fallen off the bank, tossing plastics and jigs.

The first run by the TVA guys, I think the shocked up and netted almost 70 fish including a couple of 6-plus pounders. The fish that rolled up off that dead tree shocked the heck out of us. Not just bass, either. Baitfish, bluegills, rough fish and cats were in there.

The TVA guys got length-girth, clipped a fin and put them in one of the holding tanks. They made two more trips around the cove before I left and had info on I think almost 200 fish.

It was quite illuminating. Anyone who ever gets a chance to go in a shocking boat, do it.

But, even the TVA guys couldn't catch an 8-pounder. laugh

"Hunting Politics are stupid!" - Farm Hunter

"Bible says you shouldn't put sugar in your cornbread." Dustin, 2013

"Best I can figure 97.365% of the general public is a paint chip eating, mouth breathing, certified dumbass." BCLC, 2020
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.