</a JR Holmes Oil Company </a Shark Guard Southeast Woods and Whitetail Mayer Insurance Services LLC
Aldeer Classifieds
Iso ruger american ranch
by AustinC. 03/27/24 08:20 PM
Ruger M77 6mm heavy barrel with Nikon Monarch
by bradbathome. 03/27/24 04:42 PM
Carpet Installation Equipment
by hunter84. 03/27/24 07:12 AM
$20013hp all-power side shaft generator motor
by HollerHunter. 03/26/24 07:43 PM
250 gallon propane tank $225
by HollerHunter. 03/26/24 07:30 PM
Serious Deer Talk
The Hollywood Buck.
by Tree Dweller. 03/28/24 02:38 AM
For the Don’t Shoot Does Crowd
by Mbrock. 03/27/24 07:53 PM
High Fencing
by RareBreed. 03/26/24 10:45 PM
Who's got the best deer hunting in AL
by TensawRiver. 03/26/24 01:26 PM
What makes you happy?
by Fishduck. 03/26/24 10:25 AM
March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Land, Leases, Hunting Clubs
West Jefferson County hunting club
by Jmfire722. 03/18/24 08:36 AM
Western Ky farm
by todd w. 03/15/24 01:23 PM
Information on bibb county hunting club
by quickshot. 03/10/24 01:46 PM
Hunting Club
by Hibby. 03/08/24 04:34 PM
Mississippi club
by Gobl4me. 03/07/24 09:55 PM
Who's Online Now
84 registered members (Flyliner, MarkAlan, DHW, mdavis, hallb, mauvilla, buck_buster, Tracker, snakebit, deadeye48, Copes, AU338MAG, capehorn24, Hammertime7v2, BamaBoHunter, Reload410, dirkdaddy, Jotjackson, Dean, sportrep, low wall, Gunner211, Ridge Life, Kelly_123, Backwards cowboy, twaldrop4, EricS, JustinJ, 202P&Y, cullbuck, NoHuntin, DoubleM, BPI, HBWALKER14, Bruno, JohnG, AustinC, Macon176, jaredhunts, Geezer, BD, AU7MM08, Paint Rock 00, crenshawco, imadeerhntr, Semo, Gobble4me757, !shiloh!, cuztoshaw, Gobl4me, rkt, Shotts, dustymac, Swamp Monkey, Joe4majors, booner, bambam32, ALMODUX, Pinelevel Hunter, mossyback, Bustinbeards, Okalona, catdoctor, Exhoosier, bayouturkey, dagwood, Young20, brett.smith, kyles, fillmore, Rockstar007, Shmoe, Prohunter3509, Bread, HoofNSpur, hippi, brokefixer, turkey247, HappyHunter, 5 invisible), 492 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 138 of 139 1 2 136 137 138 139
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: ALFisher] #2954946
11/13/19 06:15 PM
11/13/19 06:15 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by ALFisher
One my complaints with the method is there really aren't a whole lot of resources that have the exact steps involved.

Alfisher…..There is never gonna be a cookie cutter, step by step approach to this that everyone can follow. My complete process for the last year looked like this……

1) Around 10/18 broadcast seed mix
2) Hunt

Now is that the same process that toothdoc needed to take when he first started working on his pond field?? Absolutely not…..Is the process toothdoc used the same one that Turkeyneck needed to used this year? Absolutely not……Why?.....Because everyone is dealing with a different situation..... at different stages of the process..... with different variables and issues to deal with. You’re never gonna be able to apply the same prescription to every situation. You can only learn the principles and concepts and apply them to each situation accordingly. I would recommend studying about natural farming and it will help you with these concepts.

Last edited by CNC; 11/13/19 06:17 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2954953
11/13/19 06:20 PM
11/13/19 06:20 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Here is the Undercover Farmers video again.....Listen to what these guys are telling you about the concepts and principles. Don't get hung up on the specific process....We adapt the process to fit our needs....the principles and concepts remain the same

Last edited by CNC; 11/13/19 06:21 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955074
11/13/19 07:56 PM
11/13/19 07:56 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Years ago I started maintaining a 10-15 wide strip of blackberry….I haven’t mowed it in quite a few years now and its gotten a lot of other growth in it. A couple things I noticed about this spot over the years is that the soil got a lot richer than the rest of my field as a cycled that blackberry OM even though it was still the same sandy soil. That biomass with a high C:N ratio is more rich with carbon or something….more concentrated maybe….The other thing I noticed was a big jump in pokeberry in the spot. Its not nearly as prolific in other areas of the field.

That’s one of the things that shows me that species composition will be affected by the condition of the soil…..improving it will bring in different species……Pokeweed is a highly browsed specie that the deer really like…..I suspect that as I recycle more woody biomass to the soil now across the whole field that I’ll get that same increase in soil richness...…. and I should see more preferred species like pokeweed coming in everywhere in a better proportion...…. similar to how it increased in the fertile blackberry soil. That’s if I don’t do something like make dog fennel grow in excess due to too much free nitrogen or something.

But I’m actually good with this little boo-boo because its gonna give me a big jump in soil fertility I believe. I think I robbed a little of the other plants space this year by causing the dog fennel to be so prolific...…. but I think at the same time I did myself a favor by growing a massive biomass crop of something my soil will really respond from. Nature turned the excess N into a big ol’ dose of carbon.....high C:N ratio biomass.... I’ll try easing back on any future N applications now and see how it runs without it. I didn’t mean to do it but it probably wasn’t a bad oops to make growing the excess woody biomass.... If this molasses is actually speeding up the consumption of the biomass then that’s a game changer because it’ll allow us to deal with heavy biomass crops like this without having to mechbically process it all down so much. We’ll just blend in dried molasses with our seed mix .

We’re talking about principles and concepts…..You have to figure out how best to use them.

Last edited by CNC; 11/13/19 08:08 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955283
11/13/19 10:19 PM
11/13/19 10:19 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Different scenarios…..same prinicples……In the pic below I have too much biomass on the soil surface to allow my summer vegetation to explode like I want it to. The biomass needs to get gone a little faster….fire is not an option….. I could lightly disk it to help it out but I think I’m actually gonna use a suggestion Hayman had and just keep broadcasting corn. The mob grazing effect will be more and more effective as the winter goes on and I think I can stimulate new growth by having the deer stomp it for me. I may just pour a bag or two of corn in the tractor spreader every week and throw it out over areas where I want the deer to help beat back succession and/or stimulate new growth…..getting two benefits out of the corn instead of just pouring it in a feeder. We'll see....I may still have to break out the disk in the spring.

[Linked Image]

Same general spot as the last pic….This is some of the richest soil I have in the edge of this bottom and it holds good moisture….I just have to tweak things a little to get that leaf biomass out of the way quicker than what its happening now. This area is being fed a lot of carbon. If I get the leaf litter processed up then this area is capable of producing prolifically. Clover should thrive in this spot because of the moisture and semi-shade….It would also help balance the carbon with some nitrogen….Applying concepts and principles.....There is no cookie cutter way of doing this.....

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CNC; 11/13/19 10:21 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955356
11/14/19 12:11 AM
11/14/19 12:11 AM
SW Alabama
A
ALFisher Offline
4 point
ALFisher  Offline
4 point
A
SW Alabama
CNC, I'm not necessarily criticizing T&M, but you keep making it sound like I am. I'm merely pointing out some of the things I've experienced, and trying to make it more efficient. Telling me every situation is different and I have to manage everyone differently is kind of making my point for me, which is, this isn't as simple as just throwing a bunch of seed into standing vegetation, mowing it, and wa-la, beautiful green fields over and over and over again. Even your video says you must cover the soil all the time with diversity. That includes summer. In fact, they emphasize that, over and over again in your video. Some of those guys are bragging that they had 20 different species as summer cover crops. they also all use sprayers, rollers, and drills. Most of us can't use drills.

Again, my points could be summarized as one thing - T&M isn't as simple throwing seed into whatever vegetation you have in your food plot and mowing it down. You have to have a variety of cover crops that work well, and they need to be repeated. You've said over and over again that food plots can just be "let go" in the summer, and they will fine for T&M in the fall. I haven't found that to work all that well. Neither have other people. It's also not consistent with your video, or other videos I've seen online. Planting this way is a great concept, and I don't doubt that it is better in a lot of ways than traditional tilling. It's just not as easy as it is made out to be.

Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955406
11/14/19 07:12 AM
11/14/19 07:12 AM
hattiesburg,ms
F
filespinner Offline
4 point
filespinner  Offline
4 point
F
hattiesburg,ms
I started reading this thread when CNC first started it. Of course I was skeptical because we had always bushhogged, disked, and put out seed. But I decided to try it on several fields just to see how it would do. I thought they turned out pretty good. This year I did T&M on all my fields. I knew to seed a little heavier than normal. All my fields look pretty good. My clover looks really good. One that didnt have a lot of thatch doesnt look as good but a lot of deer are in that field every day keeping it mowed down. The time saved with this method is huge for me. I have turned several people to this method. Even my 77 yo Dad, who has a 7ft tiller to really turn the soil to powder, did all his patches in T&M this year, which is shocking. I appreciate the info put into this thread by CNC and others. To those that havent tried it yet, give it a shot. Just seed a little heavier than normal, fertilize, and pray for timely rains.

Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: ALFisher] #2955487
11/14/19 08:20 AM
11/14/19 08:20 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
CNC, I'm not necessarily criticizing T&M, but you keep making it sound like I am.

This thread is meant to be a question, answer, and discussion thread….I’m just discussing your results. I don’t mean for it to sound like anyone’s criticizing the other. Even if I am….I mean it as constructive criticism. Tone can really get lost in written text….We're just discussing results...that' all. smile

No one has ever claimed that its just as simple as throwing out seed…..It CAN be that simple….but what I’ve said over and over again is that it will require you to understand the principles of how soil functions and how nature functions so that you can make your own decisions about what a specific field needs. The more you understand the easier will be for you. What the first thing Ray Archulleta says in the video….”It’s not about the equipment….it’s about the understanding”

Yes, I completely believe in a diverse cover crop in the summer. The big difference here in my way of looking at is……I don’t believe that I have to go out and plant a cover crop. Nature has provided me with one. I have over 25 different species now in my summer cover crop that feed the deer and produce an abundance of diverse root structure and tons of biomass . What is wrong with the summer cover crop that God has provided us with? I’m not farming like the guys in the video….I’m managing deer. Same concepts applied differently. I think you're focusing on their exact process instead of the concept.

Last edited by CNC; 11/14/19 08:28 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955492
11/14/19 08:23 AM
11/14/19 08:23 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
It may require that you break the hold that human management practices have had on the field to allow the field to progress to this kind of natural diversity in the summer. Pasture management at my lease land has allowed those fields to become bahia monocultures so I need to tweak things and bring back balance….My field here at home was tilled to death and had to be given time for the soil to repair itself before it supported that kind of diversity. Both the result of human management or mis-management…

Last edited by CNC; 11/14/19 08:24 AM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: filespinner] #2955495
11/14/19 08:24 AM
11/14/19 08:24 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by filespinner
I started reading this thread when CNC first started it. Of course I was skeptical because we had always bushhogged, disked, and put out seed. But I decided to try it on several fields just to see how it would do. I thought they turned out pretty good. This year I did T&M on all my fields. I knew to seed a little heavier than normal. All my fields look pretty good. My clover looks really good. One that didnt have a lot of thatch doesnt look as good but a lot of deer are in that field every day keeping it mowed down. The time saved with this method is huge for me. I have turned several people to this method. Even my 77 yo Dad, who has a 7ft tiller to really turn the soil to powder, did all his patches in T&M this year, which is shocking. I appreciate the info put into this thread by CNC and others. To those that havent tried it yet, give it a shot. Just seed a little heavier than normal, fertilize, and pray for timely rains.

beers

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955517
11/14/19 08:37 AM
11/14/19 08:37 AM
Lincoln, Alabama
B
blumsden Offline
12 point
blumsden  Offline
12 point
B
Lincoln, Alabama
I find that cereal grains have the energy to push thru matted down thatch, but smaller seeds don't. My thatch is little thicker this year, than I wanted. I'll adjust it during the summer by killing the grass early on. It'll come back by planting time.

Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: ALFisher] #2955521
11/14/19 08:39 AM
11/14/19 08:39 AM
Clanton
Turkey_neck Offline
Booner
Turkey_neck  Offline
Booner
Clanton
CNC, I'm not necessarily criticizing T&M, but you keep making it sound like I am. I'm merely pointing out some of the things I've experienced, and trying to make it more efficient. Telling me every situation is different and I have to manage everyone differently is kind of making my point for me, which is, this isn't as simple as just throwing a bunch of seed into standing vegetation, mowing it, and wa-la, beautiful green fields over and over and over again. Even your video says you must cover the soil all the time with diversity. That includes summer. In fact, they emphasize that, over and over again in your video. Some of those guys are bragging that they had 20 different species as summer cover crops. they also all use sprayers, rollers, and drills. Most of us can't use drills.

Again, my points could be summarized as one thing - T&M isn't as simple throwing seed into whatever vegetation you have in your food plot and mowing it down. You have to have a variety of cover crops that work well, and they need to be repeated. You've said over and over again that food plots can just be "let go" in the summer, and they will fine for T&M in the fall. I haven't found that to work all that well. Neither have other people. It's also not consistent with your video, or other videos I've seen online. Planting this way is a great concept, and I don't doubt that it is better in a lot of ways than traditional tilling. It's just not as easy as it is made out to be.

I really don’t know what your fields look like but you are putting way more time and effort than most of us are. I literally broadcast my seed into mainly crabgrass every fall and bushog it. Then in spring/summer broadcast my summer mix into fall mix and bushog. This year I didn’t even plant summer plots due to the drought. I did fertilize my fields once. Up until last year I literally sprayed waited a few weeks then came back broadcast my seed then drug it down with a weighted drag. My fields at the lease were used as loading docks last fall so I disked them and planted. Couldn’t get my tractor there this fall so I drug what little live grass I had down on my fields after seeding. It really isn’t as hard as people make it.

Would walk over a naked woman to get to a gobblin turkey!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955525
11/14/19 08:41 AM
11/14/19 08:41 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
I posted this pic a couple pages back but I’ll repost it again for this discussion. Look at the pic below….Is that not a diverse cover crop? What is the purpose of a cover crop? What functions are a cover crop suppose to accomplish? Is the diverse cover crop in the picture not serving all of those functions?

[Linked Image]

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: blumsden] #2955529
11/14/19 08:45 AM
11/14/19 08:45 AM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by blumsden
I find that cereal grains have the energy to push thru matted down thatch, but smaller seeds don't. My thatch is little thicker this year, than I wanted. I'll adjust it during the summer by killing the grass early on. It'll come back by planting time.

That’s the conundrum with the fields becoming more fertile….heavier biomass crops to deal with. I hate to suppress the amount of biomass grown because the more we grow the more we’re adding back to the soil….and therefore the more humus we build. A lot of the tweaks I’ve been trying to make over the last few years is how to still make it work while growing the heavy biomass crops. That’s what has me getting away from mowing. Its too cumbersome in heavy biomass and it smothers out the soil surface too much. Balancing grass % will definitely help.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955729
11/14/19 12:08 PM
11/14/19 12:08 PM
huntin the big lease
T
Turkeymaster Offline
8 point
Turkeymaster  Offline
8 point
T
huntin the big lease
Originally Posted by CNC
Originally Posted by blumsden

That’s the conundrum with the fields becoming more fertile….heavier biomass crops to deal with. I hate to suppress the amount of biomass grown because the more we grow the more we’re adding back to the soil….and therefore the more humus we build. A lot of the tweaks I’ve been trying to make over the last few years is how to still make it work while growing the heavy biomass crops. That’s what has me getting away from mowing. Its too cumbersome in heavy biomass and it smothers out the soil surface too much. Balancing grass % will definitely help.

this is my 5th year doing it, i think after summer plots im going to till all of my plots in preparation for next deer season. my thatch is getting too thick in some areas and i want to incorporate the top soil ive created back into the soil and start back over. I'll see how it looks and does and try to get a rotation going

"All is fair in love, War and Turkey Hunting"
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: Turkeymaster] #2955816
11/14/19 02:21 PM
11/14/19 02:21 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
Originally Posted by Turkeymaster

this is my 5th year doing it, i think after summer plots im going to till all of my plots in preparation for next deer season. my thatch is getting too thick in some areas and i want to incorporate the top soil ive created back into the soil and start back over. I'll see how it looks and does and try to get a rotation going

Is it building up on the soil surface? If that's the case then you may need to inoculate your soil with some microbes and/or add more nitrogen to the rotation.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955847
11/14/19 02:59 PM
11/14/19 02:59 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
There’s gonna be a time period in there that everyone will likely go through when the soil starts producing more prolifically but it doesn’t get rid of it efficiently…..and that because it’s a situation of “If you build they will come”…….If you build them a home then the microbes will start coming back in…eventually......You just have that time period when they haven’t come back yet in enough numbers to process your biomass. This is where I think most people would probably be well served to inoculate their plots when you notice an increase in biomass starting. I think it’ll help with that time period I’m speaking of….This dried molasses like I tried may also be of some benefit as I believe its basically just acting as a microbe booster.

Last edited by CNC; 11/14/19 02:59 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955942
11/14/19 05:18 PM
11/14/19 05:18 PM
Awbarn, AL
CNC Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
CNC  Offline OP
Dances With Weeds
Awbarn, AL
So let’s start slightly opening up that spiritual can of worms now. I have a feeling any little crack in the lid will rip it right off though. grin

Most all folks here on this site are likely Christians who believe in a higher power that created the world we live in. We also believe it to be an immaculate design. The Japanese farmer in the book is Buddhist I believe. The finer details of that religion are not important. The only thing we really are concerned about is that he too believes in a higher power that created and designed nature.

The whole idea behind natural farming….. and even the no-till movement in general….is to farm or foodplot in a manner that’s consistent with the way God designed soil to function. You’re working with nature and not against it. Most of the traditional methods are in total opposition to how the natural soil cycle is supposed to function. Do you believe that God’s design is flawed and that we humans know a better way? Do you believe the plants God put here to preform those functions are flawed and inferior? That’s not to say that we can’t tweak things within that design to fit our needs. However, with traditional means of agriculture we’re completely reinventing the wheel.

Do you believe God created a perfect design when he created nature?

Last edited by CNC; 11/14/19 05:19 PM.

The Corn Crash!!!
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955979
11/14/19 06:02 PM
11/14/19 06:02 PM
N. Bama
257wbymag Offline
Boo Boo Head
257wbymag  Offline
Boo Boo Head
N. Bama
Do you just sit around and smoke dope all day?

Quietly killing turkeys where youre not!!!
My tank full of give a fraks been runnin on empty
I'm the paterfamilias
Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2955982
11/14/19 06:04 PM
11/14/19 06:04 PM
Fairhope
J
joeml18 Offline
4 point
joeml18  Offline
4 point
J
Fairhope
CNC...check out the sunn hemp thread regarding my dog fennel text....would be interested to get your take.

Re: Throw n Mow Q&A [Re: CNC] #2956005
11/14/19 06:33 PM
11/14/19 06:33 PM
North AL
A
AU338MAG Online IMG_0051.GIF
Old Mossy Horns
AU338MAG  Online IMG_0051.GIF
Old Mossy Horns
A
North AL
This thread has really taken an odd turn...

Dying ain't much of a living boy...Josey Wales

Molon Labe
Page 138 of 139 1 2 136 137 138 139

Aldeer.com Copyright 2001-2023 Aldeer LLP.