Aldeer.com

Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns

Posted By: roadkill

Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/21/24 09:43 PM

Definitely out of my backyard so I know nothing about them. Just bought these two, Remington Model 11 (Model II) Browning A5(?) Belgium made, five digit ser#. I'd rate the Remington at 95%, the Browning at 75%. Any info would be appreciated. Value estimate? Thanks

[Linked Image]

Posted By: bamaeyedoc

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/22/24 12:21 AM

Need a little more info. Gauge? Markers on A5 barrel (**- ect). Not a great pic. Serial look up is not hard on A5s. I’m no expert but Shoot me a PM and I’ll try to help.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/22/24 12:25 AM

I'm gonna have to stop opening you threads. You have the coolest toys

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/22/24 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Need a little more info. Gauge? Markers on A5 barrel (**- ect). Not a great pic. Serial look up is not hard on A5s. I’m no expert but Shoot me a PM and I’ll try to help.

Sending info
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/22/24 01:29 AM

I can look up years of production for Belgian Auto 5s in the book I got from Mr.Shirley. Browning in Utah is wildly inaccurate sometimes.

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/22/24 01:35 AM

If you are in the neighborhood stop by and take a look at them,

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/22/24 03:54 AM

Okay. PM me your # again.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/22/24 04:09 AM

I have owned both (still have model 11s) and there is a lot of variation like these guys are saying. Like the others are saying... more info is needed. But I can say that the vent rib or 3 inch A5s tend to bring the most. Had a friend in GA that loved my 1938 A5 that had a modified choke and beatiful engravings. It was 90%+ and I sold it to him for $500 bucks about 3 years ago. That gun is probably $1200ish if prices at gun shows and online are accurate. From what Ive seen.

Saw some 11's last moth at a shop in ohio that wer in about 50-60% shape and they were $700-850 in price. I thought that was too high for no engravings. Mine have the duck engravings and are in better shape. I'd put them in that range with your 11 being in the $600 range at a fine gun store. There was a model 11 at bass pro in springfield I saw tuesday and it looked about like yours. I think they had $900 on it.

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/22/24 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Semo
I have owned both (still have model 11s) and there is a lot of variation like these guys are saying. Like the others are saying... more info is needed. But I can say that the vent rib or 3 inch A5s tend to bring the most. Had a friend in GA that loved my 1938 A5 that had a modified choke and beatiful engravings. It was 90%+ and I sold it to him for $500 bucks about 3 years ago. That gun is probably $1200ish if prices at gun shows and online are accurate. From what Ive seen.

Saw some 11's last moth at a shop in ohio that wer in about 50-60% shape and they were $700-850 in price. I thought that was too high for no engravings. Mine have the duck engravings and are in better shape. I'd put them in that range with your 11 being in the $600 range at a fine gun store. There was a model 11 at bass pro in springfield I saw tuesday and it looked about like yours. I think they had $900 on it.

Thank you. Great information
Posted By: Wahoo

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/22/24 02:51 PM

Not specific to these guns, but if you use Gunbroker for pricing, use the advanced search to see what actually sold and at what price. There's some ridiculous pricing on Gunbroker.

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/22/24 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Wahoo
Not specific to these guns, but if you use Gunbroker for pricing, use the advanced search to see what actually sold and at what price. There's some ridiculous pricing on Gunbroker.

Good idea - thank you

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/23/24 02:33 AM

Hey roadkill, u get my texts?

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/23/24 05:59 PM

I did - thought I replied but didn't. Sincerely apologize. The gun was manufactured in 1924. Great info. Thank you.

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/23/24 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by roadkill
I did - thought I replied but didn't. Sincerely apologize. The gun was manufactured in 1924. Great info. Thank you.

Wow. That’s pretty amazing! 100 year old shotgun that will probably still kill just as good as ever. I might have a quality gunsmith check it out prior to shooting it if you were planning to.

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/23/24 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by bamaeyedoc
Originally Posted by roadkill

Wow. That’s pretty amazing! 100 year old shotgun that will probably still kill just as good as ever. I might have a quality gunsmith check it out prior to shooting it if you were planning to.

Will see, both appear to be completely functional. I shoot 100 year old guns regularly and the key is to keep the ammo pressures down. I'll send some better photos in the next day or so. Thanks again.
Posted By: globe

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/24/24 01:10 AM

Rem copied Browning or the other way around? I knew at one time. Then there’s some Ithaca’s with hump backs.
Posted By: BobK

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/24/24 03:09 AM

The model 11"s are great guns, I have 4 of them and some A'5's . Couple of mine are made in the 1920 range and they all will unload 5 shells as fast as you can pull the trigger. John Browning knew what he was doing , best of all time.
Posted By: Shaw

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/24/24 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by globe
Rem copied Browning or the other way around? I knew at one time. Then there’s some Ithaca’s with hump backs.

[Linked Image]

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/24/24 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Shaw
Originally Posted by globe

[Linked Image]

Thank you - again, great information

Re: Little help - Browning & Remington Shotguns - 02/26/24 10:12 PM

I’ll try to get by and go over them soon.

FWIW: The Browning Auto 5 patent was offered to Remington first, but the guy JB was working the deal with died of a heart attack. He took the design to FN, which started producing for (mainly) the European market. It was licensed to Remington, with a few modifications, for the Model 11. I think around 1906 were first 12ga Auto5s stateside. 1913 was first 16ga guns for the US. I had one of the first 1K to come in. Remington produced the ‘American’ Auto 5 for Browning, during WWII in the US. Sweet Sixteens and the Light versions were mostly a post war thing, though there are a few pre-war examples. The ‘Speed Load’ follower was a 1953-1/2 upgrade. Japanese transition began in early to mid 70s, and custom shop Belgian guns could be ordered through at least the mid-70s, if not later. 1970-1974? (IIRC) was the window for ‘Super Lightweights’ from the Belgian custom shop on special order. Alloy receiver, with weights comparable to a Franchi 48. The barrel was put in the box in Utah, and it got a 2nd bar code. Rarest box I know of in collector circles….worth as much as the guns themselves sometimes.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM