Aldeer.com

Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine?

Posted By: Colt1917

Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/25/23 06:58 PM

If so, what ammo do you like? I have some Hornady Leverevolution 225gr FTX and some Hornady Custom 200gr XTP and some PMC Bronze 180gr JHP.
I'm assuming the Leverevolution will be better out to 100-125 yards than the other two, despite the PMC being a hotter round.
I'm setting up a Ruger 77/44 stainless with a 4X Leupold and will probably only use it hunting the woods in a ladder stand (or creeping around on foot).
Thoughts?
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/25/23 07:04 PM

Paw n law does the nosler partition gold is a great choice
Posted By: blade

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/25/23 07:16 PM

I’ve killed one good buck and a few hogs with mine. I like the leverevolution 225s.
Posted By: thayerp81

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/25/23 07:48 PM

I’ve had great performance with XTP bullets at rifle velocities (357, 44 and muzzleloader) they hold up well and knock deer down quick. They typically retain about 60% weight, expand well and end up against the hide on the off side.

I haven’t hunted with the FTX bullets yet but plan to try them. I also have some of the 270gr hammer down rounds that I’m thinking might be a good choice.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/25/23 09:29 PM

I have killed a truck load with Winchester white box 240gr semi jacketed flat points
Posted By: akbejeepin

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/25/23 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Bunny
I have killed a truck load with Winchester white box 240gr semi jacketed flat points

That’s what I use. Works just fine.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/25/23 09:43 PM

XTP Bullets will kill anything on this planet!
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/26/23 03:53 AM

240gr xtp is what I use.
Posted By: RidgeRanger

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/26/23 04:05 AM

The question with the 77/44 is how accurate is it? The one i had was lousy.

I do love a good 44 mag carbine though. My Ruger Deerfield and Winchester 94 Trapper get it done. The 240 XTP is good, but even at a reduced 1600 fps I've had them come unglued. Most game animals are still flattened by them even if they blow up.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/26/23 11:00 AM

First deer I killed was with a Ruger 44 carbine
Posted By: Bruno

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/26/23 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Big Bore
240gr xtp is what I use.
Posted By: top cat

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/26/23 05:01 PM

Kilt a many with one. Only gun I ever sold and have never gotten over it

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/27/23 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by top cat

I can’t imagine! I know they are $$$ now. You still have nightmares over selling it? I only hope Ruger will make another run of them some day!
Posted By: James

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/27/23 01:38 AM

Black hills 240 jhp is my go to. Also like the XTPs

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/27/23 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Bunny

I always grab a box when i see 'em.

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/27/23 01:40 AM

I can’t imagine! I know they are $$$ now. You still have nightmares over selling it? I only hope Ruger will make another run of them some day!

Buddy of mine had two in his store little over a year ago and they were priced fair, i regret not snagging one now though. Heck i wish i wouldn't have traded my cousin the H&R single shot with iron sights i had about 20 years ago

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/27/23 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by James

Buddy of mine had two in his store little over a year ago and they were priced fair, i regret not snagging one now though. Heck i wish i wouldn't have traded my cousin the H&R single shot with iron sights i had about 20 years ago

I’ve always wanted one of the Ruger carbines, I’ve seen a handful for sale the last few years but most were over $1000… if they ever start selling for reasonable prices I’ll definitely pick one up.
Posted By: hallb

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/27/23 02:06 AM

Saw a really nice 77/44 wood stock at the gun show today if I didn’t have a synthetic deal in the works from 24hourcampfire I would have snagged it. It wasn’t cheap but it was in really nice condition and had a quality scope on it can’t remember what it was because wasnt too worried about that piece.

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/27/23 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by thayerp81

I’ve always wanted one of the Ruger carbines, I’ve seen a handful for sale the last few years but most were over $1000… if they ever start selling for reasonable prices I’ll definitely pick one up.

With the current inventory, I would assume $1000 is fair. How much were those your buddy had James? Where they the 1961 models or the 2000 model?

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/27/23 04:18 AM

These two were the 61 model carbines, and they were asking $899.99 so just under a grand after taxes. Both were in great condition and come from same owner/collection

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/27/23 02:11 PM

These two were the 61 model carbines, and they were asking $899.99 so just under a grand after taxes. Both were in great condition and come from same owner/collection

If they're $900 in great shape I would call that fair, and I'd probably be a buyer. The biggest problem I've seen is many of them are totally clapped out/ beat up/ modified and people are still trying to get $1000+ I would say only about 1/4 of the ones I see are actually in great condition, and the ones in great condition seem to always have a $1200-$1500 price tag on them. I don't know if people are actually buying them at these prices, but maybe some folks are.

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/27/23 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by thayerp81

If they're $900 in great shape I would call that fair, and I'd probably be a buyer. The biggest problem I've seen is many of them are totally clapped out/ beat up/ modified and people are still trying to get $1000+ I would say only about 1/4 of the ones I see are actually in great condition, and the ones in great condition seem to always have a $1200-$1500 price tag on them. I don't know if people are actually buying them at these prices, but maybe some folks are.

Yeah these were both nice, i dunno why i didn't have him put up one or both for me 🤦🏿
Posted By: Wapiti55

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/28/23 01:34 AM

Buy them

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/28/23 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Wapiti55

Buy them

On my Way! 😆
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Anybody hunt deer with .44mag carbine? - 03/28/23 04:20 AM

lol
© 2024 ALDEER.COM