Aldeer.com

Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed

Posted By: Davyalabama

Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/12/23 11:51 AM

I realize the "in thing" is carrying a 410, 28 or 20 gauge nowadays, but something about the new leaves something to be desired.

I got some guns out of the safe yesterday. Every time I picked up one of the "old" guns, it just brought back memories of times I will never get back. You know, through all the kills, it's still about the people that were with me, that taught me, that passed on lessons. I thought of Spam sandwiches heated up over a small propane heater in cold duck blinds, watching an uncle bust through brush jumping deer for standers, eating bbq chips and drinking an RC after hot days in dove fields, seeing guns carried low and slow through deep turkey woods, etc.

Each gun swung differently from the old through the new. There is just something about an old 1100, A5, model 12, Model 59 with a fiberglass barrel, an old SXS, an old 94 lever that just points differently and feels differently than the new stuff. Yeah, the new has changeable chokes, able to shoot the new shells, etc. One "newer gun, 2001" that does fit is my Steyr prohunter, that fun may look funny, but does its job. There is still something about the wood, the smell, the heft, the way they swing, the actions when you hear them close on the bolt, the pointability of those old guns.

There was a scene in a movie that talked about if we were lucky, we would have some nice pictures to take with us before we die, make sure you take plenty of pictures. To you young folks, we aren't talking about pictures on your cell camera, we're talking about memories my dear friends.

3 pieces of advice on this Sunday:

3). Don't sell those old guns of your grandad's, uncles' or father's, or friend that gave you one; "Those old guns.................just fit."
2) Don't miss the moments by trying to take "all" the pictures with a camera. Step back, take in the moments with family and true friends.
1). Love your Lord God with all your heart, mind and soul. Know Him like a friend, give Him his reverence that He deserves, but talk to him like a friend, keep Him close to you. Read His Word and keep it with you like a warm blanket you can even use as a weapon against the dark powers or a blanket to wrap up in when the dark times come.
Posted By: quailman

Re: Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/12/23 01:43 PM

I still have my 74 Remington 1100 that I got for Christmas back then. It's priceless to me.

Also have my Papa's 1940's Belgium Auto 5. Still shoots great.
Posted By: globe

Re: Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/12/23 01:50 PM

I agree, also you have to worry about and review new guns. Every gun we ever bought back in the 70’s-90’s went bang and still go bang. No recalls. I got a Franchi 20 ga automatic out to shoot with my daughter and the rubber pad was crumbling apart…..
This didn’t happen with older guns.
Posted By: blade

Re: Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/12/23 02:50 PM

I shot pheasant Thursday with my 1976 Remington 1100 2 3/4” 12 ga. I’ll usually try to shoot doves or quail with it once a year. May try to kill another turkey with it this year, been a while.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/12/23 05:21 PM

There's just something about a Remington 1100, 870 Wingmaster, older Remington 700 BDL, Steven 311, Harrington & Richardson Ultra 360, etc. that's just hard to describe.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/12/23 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Davyalabama
I realize the "in thing" is carrying a 410, 28 or 20 gauge nowadays, but something about the new leaves something to be desired.

I got some guns out of the safe yesterday. Every time I picked up one of the "old" guns, it just brought back memories of times I will never get back. You know, through all the kills, it's still about the people that were with me, that taught me, that passed on lessons. I thought of Spam sandwiches heated up over a small propane heater in cold duck blinds, watching an uncle bust through brush jumping deer for standers, eating bbq chips and drinking an RC after hot days in dove fields, seeing guns carried low and slow through deep turkey woods, etc.

Each gun swung differently from the old through the new. There is just something about an old 1100, A5, model 12, Model 59 with a fiberglass barrel, an old SXS, an old 94 lever that just points differently and feels differently than the new stuff. Yeah, the new has changeable chokes, able to shoot the new shells, etc. One "newer gun, 2001" that does fit is my Steyr prohunter, that fun may look funny, but does its job. There is still something about the wood, the smell, the heft, the way they swing, the actions when you hear them close on the bolt, the pointability of those old guns.

There was a scene in a movie that talked about if we were lucky, we would have some nice pictures to take with us before we die, make sure you take plenty of pictures. To you young folks, we aren't talking about pictures on your cell camera, we're talking about memories my dear friends.

3 pieces of advice on this Sunday:

3). Don't sell those old guns of your grandad's, uncles' or father's, or friend that gave you one; "Those old guns.................just fit."
2) Don't miss the moments by trying to take "all" the pictures with a camera. Step back, take in the moments with family and true friends.
1). Love your Lord God with all your heart, mind and soul. Know Him like a friend, give Him his reverence that He deserves, but talk to him like a friend, keep Him close to you. Read His Word and keep it with you like a warm blanket you can even use as a weapon against the dark powers or a blanket to wrap up in when the dark times come.

Well said!

I agree 100%
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/12/23 10:20 PM

Handled a Mannlicher stocked 7x57 Sako with 20 inch barrel. It was like a deadly broomstick 7.25 lbs scope slung. Scope was a 4x Leica from the 60s.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/13/23 02:46 AM

I love the functionality of modern stuff. Stainless and synthetic have a place in the field for sure. But the old stuff has heart. I have a 1920's Remington model 24 speedmaster in 22 short (Browning design) that holds and points better than anything made. Its 100 years old and still looks great.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/13/23 07:08 PM

What do y'all think about a Tikka?

in .243.
Posted By: jmudler

Re: Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/13/23 08:38 PM

I have three guns that are very special to me. As mentioned, something about the age, warmth of the wood, and the stories those guns could tell.

1) Winchester model 55. Learned how to shoot with it as a child
2) M1 Carbine that was my grandfathers service rifle.
3) Colt 25. My grandmother kept on her bedside when my grandfather was deployed.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Nostalgia Vs. The New Breed - 03/13/23 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
What do y'all think about a Tikka?

in .243.

What's not to love ?
© 2024 ALDEER.COM