Aldeer.com

Sako S20

Posted By: Hammertime7v2

Sako S20 - 07/06/22 12:49 PM

Does anybody have any experience with the Seiko s20, I'm looking at one in 300 win mag.

I'm not crazy about the look of the stock with that whole thumb hole hybrid setup, but if the performance is there I could overlook it. Purpose will be for elk, so needs to be something I can carry around for a while and not wear me out.

I look at the fin light series but don't see them with threaded muzzles, which I want.

How is the fit finish and overall performance for anyone who has one or has shot one on here?
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Sako S20 - 07/06/22 02:26 PM

I don't think that is what you need. I don't think a thumbhole stock is going to carry well. None of the tactical guns with vertical grip stocks carry well either IMO. I would look at these , Bergara Premier Canyon, Christensen Mesa, Weatherby, Kimber Rifles, Nosler M21.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Sako S20 - 07/06/22 02:48 PM

Elk means lots of walking to me. I'd pass on thumbholes for that. As far as another rifle choice everything from Rigbys highland stalker to a savage 110.
Posted By: Hammertime7v2

Re: Sako S20 - 07/06/22 03:22 PM

Agree the thumbhole setup is not my favorite. Its a light rifle, but ergonomics could definitely more than offset the weight being manageable.

I've not looked into Kimber rifles very much, so I'm not as familiar with them. I don't know why Sako had to go the thumbhole route on the S20. I wished I could find a nice Sako 85, but can't find them anywhere.

If I went with weatherby it would have to be in a 300 win mag, not wby mag, simply because I don't want to pay $100/box to shoot it, even though it wouldn't be a high volume rifle.

I will check out the Bergara. I guess another option could be a Tikka.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Sako S20 - 07/07/22 03:09 PM

Sometimes what these companies do really doesn't make sense. Thumbhole stocks have never sold well because they don't carry well. These younger guys that are in the marketing departments at these places are just green behind the ears and we are re-visiting things that never were widely popular and for good reason.

The Sako S20 is a $1500 gun so if that is your budget you are wide open. Look at the Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry. A Kimber Montana in .300 Win Mag. or maybe a Kimber Mountain Ascent.
Posted By: 270wsm

Re: Sako S20 - 07/07/22 08:10 PM

The S20 comes in two models, Thumbhole or Tactical. I looked at a Thumbhole 6.5PRC and liked the feel, but decided to go in another direction.
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Sako S20 - 07/07/22 09:51 PM

I have read good things about it on 24hour campfire. Seems to shoot very well like all Sako rifles!
© 2024 ALDEER.COM