Aldeer.com

Proof research elevation

Posted By: limabean

Proof research elevation - 06/27/22 09:11 PM

Anyone have one of these? I’m looking for some real world experience feedback. Thinking I want one.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Proof research elevation - 06/29/22 08:12 PM

The Proof Elevation just didn’t impress me when I handled it. I ended up going with a Fierce Carbon Fury. They’re both within a couple oz’s of each other, sub-MOA guarantee (Fierce guarantee is 1/2MOA w/ factory ammo) nearly identical sales price, carbon fiber barrel & stock, match grade triggers, etc. It all boiled down to fit & finish and the Fierce fit me much better. If you’re chasing weight, there are lighter options out there. My Montana’s and Forbes’ rifles are all at least a pound lighter but none of them are as accurate. One key difference is the Fierce has a detachable mag where the Proof is a BDL design.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Proof research elevation - 06/30/22 08:22 PM

BCLC-what caliber is your carbon fury? I'm really partial to mine in 300wsm.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Proof research elevation - 06/30/22 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by TickaTicka

The manliest of all, 6.5Creed. Once you get used to the glitter showering down after every shot it’s not so bad. I initially wanted it chambered in 6.5PRC but wasn’t willing to wait another 8 or 9 months for special order. I can imagine that 300WSM of yours is a real nice setup. Big fan of that cartridge.
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Proof research elevation - 07/01/22 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Originally Posted by TickaTicka

The manliest of all, 6.5Creed. Once you get used to the glitter showering down after every shot it’s not so bad. I initially wanted it chambered in 6.5PRC but wasn’t willing to wait another 8 or 9 months for special order. I can imagine that 300WSM of yours is a real nice setup. Big fan of that cartridge.

It's about all I want to shoot anymore. Will pile up any factory ammo into the same hole and is a pleasure to shoot.

The glitter made me laugh.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Proof research elevation - 07/01/22 01:46 AM

Been thinking about ordering a hell Betty/defiance barreled action from ragged hole.
See he has a carbon barrel option.wont be anytime soon but here he is a jam up guy and prices seem pretty reasonable for what you get compared to how expensive production rifles are now.
Might give him a try next spring I still need one more rifle.lol

Re: Proof research elevation - 07/01/22 01:55 AM

The fierce fury regular barrel option in 300prc would be sweet also though
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Proof research elevation - 07/01/22 01:42 PM

The Nosler rifles are probably the best feeling and looking supposedly "light weight" rifles I have finger banged in a long time. I know they are pricey. I also can't imagine needing to shave a pound off one. Goats and sheep are tough critters. if you are serious about not coming back empty handed you'll wish you had hauled a 50bmg up there and not hyperventilated over a rifle that feels like a matchstick.
Posted By: Cynical

Re: Proof research elevation - 07/04/22 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by 3% outdoorsman
Been thinking about ordering a hell Betty/defiance barreled action from ragged hole.
See he has a carbon barrel option.wont be anytime soon but here he is a jam up guy and prices seem pretty reasonable for what you get compared to how expensive production rifles are now.

Usually (exceptions to every rule) if you want the lightest weight possible you go with a pencil profile steel barrel on a mountain rifle. Both Proof, Bartlein and all other carbon fiber wrapped barrels are heavier than a traditional pencil profile. Since you’re only shooting 2-3 rounds from hunting rifle (versus a competition gun, for example), you don’t need the extra steel to take heat energy before shot groups open up.

If you get one of his marked actions, or any other Defiance action, do not coat the bolt or the inside of the receiver with cerakote or anything like it. The tolerances are too tight and it will not function as well as polished stainless like it comes.

Re: Proof research elevation - 07/04/22 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Cynical

Usually (exceptions to every rule) if you want the lightest weight possible you go with a pencil profile steel barrel on a mountain rifle. Both Proof, Bartlein and all other carbon fiber wrapped barrels are heavier than a traditional pencil profile. Since you’re only shooting 2-3 rounds from hunting rifle (versus a competition gun, for example), you don’t need the extra steel to take heat energy before shot groups open up.

If you get one of his marked actions, or any other Defiance action, do not coat the bolt or the inside of the receiver with cerakote or anything like it. The tolerances are too tight and it will not function as well as polished stainless like it comes.

Yeah honestly I was trying to help him.i have no use for carbon fiber barrel myself and like you would prefer a pencil barrel.thanks for info on the action though
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Proof research elevation - 07/04/22 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Cynical

Yeah honestly I was trying to help him.i have no use for carbon fiber barrel myself and like you would prefer a pencil barrel.thanks for info on the action though

Black nitride on the action and bolt will make it slicker than snot.

Re: Proof research elevation - 07/04/22 11:15 PM

I was thinking bead blast but nitride would definitely be good.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM