Aldeer.com

Barnes TSX BTHPs

Posted By: Thread Killer

Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 05:10 AM

Anyone use these? Got some 150s rolled up in 7mag. Looking forward to see how they stack.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 05:32 AM

I prefer those TSX to the TTSX in magnum calibers. I bet you’ll be mighty happy with them. Im sure it’s anecdotal evidence but it seems the harder you push them the better they perform.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
I prefer those TSX to the TTSX in magnum calibers. I bet you’ll be mighty happy with them. Im sure it’s anecdotal evidence but it seems the harder you push them the better they perform.

That has not been my experience with the TSX. I shot 3 deer with a 168 gr TSX in a 300 Weatherby at 3280 FPS MV and all of them penciled through the deer.

Switched to the TTSX and performance has been MUCH better.
Posted By: Forrestgump1

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 03:36 PM

My theory is that the tsx doesn’t encounter as much resistance in small southern deer to cause it to peel back properly. I think they are designed more for larger game. The ttsx will self initiate due to the tip. People rant and rave about Barnes but I’ve had better luck with cup and core or bonded as far as internal wounding and exit wounds. They are a great bullet though. Just my 2 cents
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 04:11 PM

Doesn’t really matter what you post on ALDeer anymore. Have fun with those apparent pieces of chit TK 🤦🏽‍♂️
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Doesn’t really matter what you post on ALDeer anymore. Have fun with those apparent pieces of chit TK 🤦🏽‍♂️

Yup.

For the record, I've had great luck with Barnes TSX's, even pushed to 300WinMag velocities...all the way back to when the TSX was simply called the Barnes X bullet.
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 05:55 PM

They absolutely SUCK.

According to everything that I have shot with them in multiple calibers.

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 06:59 PM

rolleyes 👍
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 07:04 PM

Are y'all all over here talking about your magic bullets that get exit holes?

Personally - I'd love to hear about how they all shoot 1/2 MOA.

Go -

And if someone can chime in about .243 that'd ice this cake.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 08:34 PM

gun
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 09:04 PM

The .243 kills them like Thor's hammer.....but it cant hold a candle to a .223 shooting 55gr FMJs........which is nothing compared to a 22-250 shooting 50gr ballistic tips........which is still just a BB gun, when compared to the venerable .22 mag. shooting 40 gr JHPs

All deer killing powerhouses if you've got the shoulder to handle the recoil.
Posted By: dave260rem!

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 10:04 PM

Not to bring any sanity to this discussion about 20 years ago I witnessed a Barnes Original cup&core absolutely wreck a deers chest cavity from 75 yards. The super-duper premium magnum that did it? A very trim mannlicher stocked Ruger 77 in .250 Savage. No it wasn't for sale.
Posted By: Okatuppa

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 10:33 PM

Hell, I kilt a moose with my .243 and an 85 Grain Barnes TSX.
DRT, with a complete pass through on both shoulders
Posted By: James

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Okatuppa

Hell, I kilt a moose with my .243 and an 85 Grain Barnes TSX.
DRT, with a complete pass through on both shoulders

[Linked Image]

😆😆😆

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/15/22 11:08 PM

Get more sense out of askin about hookers n blow.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/16/22 02:16 AM

Plenty of opinions on monos….but they DO tend to generate less internet consternation if they’re tipped for expansion on lighter critters. Doesn’t mean the TSX isn’t good, either. For the most part, I’ve not felt the ‘need’ for them in most cases….at least for deer and hogs. There are exceptions where they turn some smaller cartridges into real nasties….the lighter 308s/311s made for blackout and x39, the 95gr 6.8 version, the 55-62gr 224, and that nasty 30-30 TSX…..which had a HP like a pistol bullet. It made dirty thirties think they were 300 winmags. They were fun as woods/ kid loads in 308s, at about 2400-2500 too. I may still have a couple hundred of those stashed somewhere. You don’t ‘need’ anything but a cup and core in a 30-30, but they sure were nice.
Posted By: roadkill

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/16/22 03:07 AM

Originally Posted by Thread Killer

I'm in.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/16/22 02:31 PM

Just spit balling here. And shooting them too.

If I could somehow get my hands on a Tikka I could just hold out there and point it in the deer's general direction, since it's the most accurate rifle on the planet, well.... think of the possibilities.

I think I'm on to something here fellas.

Posted By: jrs89

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/16/22 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Thread Killer

Whatca wanna know??
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/16/22 10:58 PM

I prefer the TTSX but ive killed more with tsx. But my aim placement probably has more to do with it. If its hogs im putting it in their head. If its a buck im high shoulder.
Ive only recovered one tsx. It was on a hog that was walking toward me. I aimed between the eyes about the time he saw me and started to turn. Entered in the left front shouled and ended up just under the skin of the right rear butt cheek. Was a perfect expanded petal shape.
Posted By: hunterturf

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/17/22 11:50 PM

i got a ruger ranch 5.56 for my kid. shoot the 62gr tsx perfect broadside will pencil every time and u just have to look until u find it. very little blood. we now let them quarter to us and put it through the front shoulder. much better results, bigger exit holes and a lot more blood. have shot 2 deer head on with that gun and both bullets were recovered in their hindquarters.
awesome little bullets, work best when they hit a shoulder going in or coming out ( imo )
Posted By: BPI

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/19/22 01:25 AM

You will like em TK. Ain't a deer on planet earth can handle it.
Posted By: BPI

Re: Barnes TSX BTHPs - 06/19/22 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

Just spit balling here. And shooting them too.

If I could somehow get my hands on a Tikka I could just hold out there and point it in the deer's general direction, since it's the most accurate rifle on the planet, well.... think of the possibilities.

I think I'm on to something here fellas.

Sounds like you are finally coming around.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM