Aldeer.com

Rem 742 carbine ?

Posted By: auman

Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/12/22 04:41 PM

Is it possible to convert a 742 into a single shot bolt still using clip. The inside rails are gone due to some wear and bad smith job. It does pull back and forth just but can’t handle the semi auto function. Can’t be converted to pump per previous attempt at gunsmith.Trying to revive Special rifle.

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/12/22 04:43 PM

I’ll put it on the wall but would like to kill something with it
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/12/22 06:23 PM

cannot be done
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/12/22 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
cannot be done

Maybe not intentionally but that POS 243 742 I had did just what he wants his to do. Dang thing never would cycle. Always had to cycle it by hand. Now this was 40 years ago and the gun was OLD and I didn’t know any better. Just worked with what I had.

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/12/22 06:38 PM

Wall art it is
Posted By: marshmud991

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/12/22 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by BhamFred
cannot be done

On a serious note. Isn’t those rifles gas operated? Could he not manipulate the gas system to stop it from cycling? Remove the Orings of something? I don’t know much about the rifles but I do know the shotgun won’t work without the rings.
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/12/22 10:25 PM

742s can be converted to pump action like the 760s by a smith that knows what he is doing.
Posted By: Turkeyneck78

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/13/22 01:49 AM

I have a friend that's a gunsmith, he's said several times that those 742's were a piss poor design, they eat themselves from the inside out and aren't repairable once they get to a certain point. It would be interesting to see one converted to pump though.
Posted By: XVIII

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/13/22 02:37 AM

mines been maintained since 71’ and is still about a 1.5” gun

[Linked Image]
Posted By: modoc_333

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/13/22 03:08 AM

I used to love my Remington Model Four. It's the same gun but nicer appointments. Then it started to jam. One day I was shooting targets and something felt wrong when I shot it. I checked the gun. The round had gone off but the recoil felt weird. I found that the next round was behind the bolt. Yes, the unfired round was behind the bolt. Talk about a dangerous situation. There was also a live round in the chamber. I dropped th trigger assembly and took both live rounds out. My wife was there and told me that's the last time I ever needed to shoot that gun. She was right. Too dangerous in the field. It was a subtle difference I noticed they I would have never noticed in the field. It would have blown up in my face if I fired another round. I traded it in to a store being completely honest as to what happened.

They are fantastic rifles.... until they reach their end of life.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/13/22 05:17 PM

Converting a 742 to a 760 pump gun was a common thing years ago.
These folks are the experts Ahlman's
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/14/22 06:02 AM

A gun is like any thing else it's made of parts . If parts are made it can be fixed.

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/15/22 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Frankie
A gun is like any thing else it's made of parts . If parts are made it can be fixed.

True. But at some point you are replacing the barrel and receiver and therefore buying a whole new gun
Posted By: Frankie

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/15/22 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by modoc_333
Originally Posted by Frankie

True. But at some point you are replacing the barrel and receiver and therefore buying a whole new gun

Never said it'd be cheap either
Posted By: Teacher One

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/15/22 11:08 AM

We called the 742's "Whammer Jammers".

I have one in 243 cal and it looks like it has been run over by a log truck but the gun has NEVER jammed. It stays in the truck everywhere I go and has killed a ton of coyotes in its life as well as deer! I think I gave 150 for it at a gun show about 25 years ago.
Posted By: Stickers

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/15/22 09:34 PM

I have a 742 in 30/06 I was given 42 years ago. Cannot remember how many deer I have killed with it. Always shot Corelokts in 150 gr. never jammed. now i try and shoot at least one deer with it annually for old times sake. It will pass to my son/ SIL one day. hope it hunts a hundred years.

Re: Rem 742 carbine ? - 06/18/22 01:56 AM

My Model Four was inherited. 270. It was amazing. Killed a lot of deer with it. Then it started to jam. I had a cheaper scope on it and bought a new one. When i shot it to site it in, it had a major malfunction. I fired. The next round lodged behind the bolt. Luckily I had shot it enough to feel that the recoil was different. I dropped the trigger assembly and removed the round. It was scary though. There was a live round in the chamber and a live round behind the bolt. If I had pulled the trigger, both would have gone off in my face. My wife was there. She hunts and shoots a 7mm Mag. Not scared of guns. She told me I could buy any rifle I want, as long as I don't shoot that one again. I sold it and the guy I sold it to mentioned that once those are bad, it's hard to fix them. I'm ok with that. It's gone. Won't blow up in my face. My Browning X-Bolt is more accurate and a better rifle. I only miss the Model Four because of the deer I killed with it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM