Aldeer.com

Best long range factory set-up for the $ ?

Posted By: Bar7Mag

Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/21/21 05:29 PM

Been reading and researching. I want to possibly bang steel at a mile. I was thinking 300 win mag for ease of obtaining ammo. Watched some videos of 300PRC banging steel at a mile in a bergara HMR. These rifles are in the 1,000$ range. What caliber and why would you choose? What factory rifle and why would you choose?
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/21/21 06:21 PM

I have a savage 110 that cost me about 800$. I think it’s the best shooting rifle I’ve ever shot. They are way underrated.

For caliber, depends on how deep those pockets are. If you got the budget and time to do reloads, 6.5prc would be my go-to.

If not, I’d step down to win mag.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/21/21 06:54 PM

Just for shooting steel out to and past a mile I'd get a 338 lapua it's fairly easy to find ammo for it right now also you will need good glass not cheap glass. RPR is a good one also the Savage 338lm is a good one to start with. I'd put a quality scope minimum 25x on it
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/21/21 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by 1bamashooter
Just for shooting steel out to and past a mile I'd get a 338 lapua it's fairly easy to find ammo for it right now also you will need good glass not cheap glass. RPR is a good one also the Savage 338lm is a good one to start with. I'd put a quality scope minimum 25x on it

Great point on the glass. Vital piece of equipment to shoot 1000+ yards.

338 Lapua magnum is a lot of gun. Shooting a big boomer like that can wear on you after a lot of shooting. But if that's the way you go the Savage will probably be the best bang for the buck. 300 win mag with the right loads would be a good choice, as would a 6.5 PRC.
Posted By: 87dixieboy

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/21/21 10:05 PM

300 win mag with the 210-230gr bullets. Spend as much in glass if not more than gun. Your gonna need to reload to be accurate that far
Posted By: hardluck

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/21/21 10:31 PM

I’ve got the Savage 110 High Country in 6.5 PRC and 300 WSM. Both would be capable. The new 6.8 Western cartridge is supposed to be a long range shooter. They are going to offer it in Browning and Winchester, but I would stick with one that has been around a while.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/21/21 11:26 PM

1750 yards is a poke. You will need something that will still be supersonic at that distance IMO. 338 Lapua and 338 Edge would be hard to beat. 300WM will get there but you are gonna have to shoot 200+grain bullets. Some of the Nosler Cartridges will get there as well. Just keep in mind bullets can act funny when they go from supersonic to subsonic.

I will say 1200 is as far as I’ve ever shot. Used to shoot 1k routinely with 6.5/284 and 300WM. I prefer the 6.5/284 at that distance. My 6.5 is a custom built savage. Yes I know they are ugly but their accuracy is really hard to beat. You can get a Savage 338Lapua for less than $1500.

Would a 40 MOA rail be enough for 1 mile?

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 01:26 AM

I'm gonna try my 300prc out past a mile it's sub moa at 1k so it should be at least moa at a mile

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by joshm28
1750 yards is a poke. You will need something that will still be supersonic at that distance IMO. 338 Lapua and 338 Edge would be hard to beat. 300WM will get there but you are gonna have to shoot 200+grain bullets. Some of the Nosler Cartridges will get there as well. Just keep in mind bullets can act funny when they go from supersonic to subsonic.

I will say 1200 is as far as I’ve ever shot. Used to shoot 1k routinely with 6.5/284 and 300WM. I prefer the 6.5/284 at that distance. My 6.5 is a custom built savage. Yes I know they are ugly but their accuracy is really hard to beat. You can get a Savage 338Lapua for less than $1500.

Would a 40 MOA rail be enough for 1 mile?

I miss my 338 edge I need to rebarrel something again that thing make a mile plus easy

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 01:37 AM

40 moa plus a scope with a lot of travel should be plenty. I had a 30moa and S&B PM2 and had plenty of elevation

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 01:41 AM

Josh depends on what caliber you shoot as to what MOA you will need. All the rail is gonna do is allow you to use your scope to the full potential
Posted By: Reloader79

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 02:23 AM

Good luck finding a 1 mile factory rifle for $1000

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Reloader79
Good luck finding a 1 mile factory rifle for $1000

This and in before my Jesusmoore is deadly accurate at a mile it's like I'm shooting at 500
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by 87dixieboy
Josh depends on what caliber you shoot as to what MOA you will need. All the rail is gonna do is allow you to use your scope to the full potential

I’m aware of that. I have a 20 moa and a Zeiss Mildot on my 6.5/284. I can dial to 900 but there’s not enough elevation in the scope for 1k. I would have to go back and look but I think I can dial to 1200-1300 with my 6.5 Creedmore and a Burris XTR 2. But there’s a big difference in 1k yards and 1 mile. Is a 40 moa rail enough?

Lot more elevation potential with a 33mm tube vs the 1” on the Zeiss
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 03:30 AM

Ruger American in 6.5Creedtard w/ Tasco World Class 3-9x40 mounted in see thru rings pushing 129gr American Whitetails .... I’d be shocked if you couldn’t stay sub-MOA or better at 2mi+

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Ruger American in 6.5Creedtard w/ Tasco World Class 3-9x40 mounted in see thru rings pushing 129gr American Whitetails .... I’d be shocked if you couldn’t stay sub-MOA or better at 2mi+

lol
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 04:15 AM

Or really be a super pussy and have a 6mm creedmor built. 😆😆😆
Posted By: furnfeather

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 04:28 AM

I'd say the glass is going to run you from 3k-4k range and finding a load to fit the caliber and it really like it will cost you around 1k of experimental test before really dialing it in. Especially in today's market. The firearm I'd say there's a few choices to play with but cost,i wouldn't want to poke a stick at right now.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag
Or really be a super pussy and have a 6mm creedmor built. 😆😆😆

Hey now!!! “It’s for the younguns.....” 😂😂😂
Posted By: TickaTicka

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 12:59 PM

Ha! That's right! 🤣

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 01:00 PM

28 Nosler another consideration. I'm not sure about sub 1K set up.
Posted By: deadeye48

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 01:28 PM

300 RUM is a good choice
This rifle will shoot a good range of bullets
I've loaded from 178's to 220's in mine and have found accuracy in all those ranges but 200 seems to be where these rifle settle in and really strut at long distance
Posted By: Semo

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 01:41 PM

The only normal guy I know that shoots accurately at those distances uses a 300-378 weatherby. I think those guns are in the 1500 range for base models.

The issue is you have to use custom ammo that is tuned for each gun or else it would get very frustrating. A scope built for a certain caliber, weight, and muzzle velocity makes it a lot easier.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 02:45 PM

I would just take some hail mary shots with my deer rifle and move along from this fantasy....

Shooting a static target at a known distance on a range doesn't even slightly impress me, so see there..... You already failed.
Posted By: Fuzzy_Bunny

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 03:31 PM

No offense to the OP, but when I see threads like this all I can think is if you have to ask, you are not ready to ring steel at long range. Be it 500 yards or 1 mile. Too many people read an article on the net and think all I need is a rifle chambered for (insert whatever round here), look at the trajectory printed on the ammo box, crank the elevation on the scope up and go to making hits. It aint that simple, and most people who make the purchase shoot their rifle once, get discouraged and never shoot it again. Long range is a game of skill and money.

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by joshm28
Originally Posted by 87dixieboy

I’m aware of that. I have a 20 moa and a Zeiss Mildot on my 6.5/284. I can dial to 900 but there’s not enough elevation in the scope for 1k. I would have to go back and look but I think I can dial to 1200-1300 with my 6.5 Creedmore and a Burris XTR 2. But there’s a big difference in 1k yards and 1 mile. Is a 40 moa rail enough?

Lot more elevation potential with a 33mm tube vs the 1” on the Zeiss

sure it is if you have another 40 moa to go with it lol

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Bunny
No offense to the OP, but when I see threads like this all I can think is if you have to ask, you are not ready to ring steel at long range. Be it 500 yards or 1 mile. Too many people read an article on the net and think all I need is a rifle chambered for (insert whatever round here), look at the trajectory printed on the ammo box, crank the elevation on the scope up and go to making hits. It aint that simple, and most people who make the purchase shoot their rifle once, get discouraged and never shoot it again. Long range is a game of skill and money.

True. Once you go past 600 yards it takes a lot of knowledge and skill, beyond just twisting a turret, to consistently hit targets.
Posted By: Ridge Life

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 05:05 PM

Nintendo shooting
Posted By: Davyalabama

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 06:09 PM

Bar7mag, they gave you a good idea in the Savage 110, I've read about those guns, but I've never handled one, you may want to go to the model 111 for what you are wanting from it. Tikka makes a very good lite rifle the T ctr, as well as Remington 700lr. 1,760 yards, whew, and I thought 1,000 was far enough. The .338 is a mighty fine round, but that is a lot of recoil to learn on, 300 win mag can also get you where you need to go. Do you have a good teacher or spotter, or are you doing this alone?
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 09:18 PM

I use to have a .50 and shot those distances all the time. It was really cool about trips 1-5 to the range. After about 5 trips I realized I wasn't that impressed that I could hit something that far. Targets on a range don't move their mortar tube over to the next ridge after you missed a couple times. Nope.. targets on a range just stay there in position until you fire enough rounds to eventually hit them. Then you can just ring them all day and take youtube videos of your girlfriend, kids, grandma shooting while holding her Keystone Light on her head..... just whatever tickles your fancy.

If you want to actually do something constructive go put a bunch of 8" targets out in a hayfield between 200 and 600 yards at unknown distances then come back, plop down on a shooting mat and see how many you can get with the first shot. That will 100% make you a better rifleman. Get good at that and all your buddies down at the range ringing 1,000.. They can always come by and shoot with you when they feel like looking stupid.

Best Factory Rifle for this = Ruger Precision. Still. You can change the barrels at home, trigger groups, etc. It's a no-brainer.
Posted By: abolt300

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/22/21 10:10 PM

Never question the power or the accuracy of the Creed baby. rofl thumbup

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/23/21 04:07 AM

I won't trash your desire. Any time at the range will make you a better shooter.

If you want to spend $1K, go for it. Start short and start to stretch it. Maybe you've got talent and a great setup and it will happen. Maybe not, and you may be frustrated, but you won't be a worse rifleman for trying.
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/23/21 06:45 AM

416 Barrett.

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/23/21 10:26 PM

I see you are searching for the Berger. Good gun.
Posted By: Bar7Mag

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/24/21 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Davyalabama
I see you are searching for the Berger. Good gun.

Thanks Davyalabama you had some good contributions to this thread and some good thoughts.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/24/21 03:50 PM

You never know if you can do it until you try.

Good luck.

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/24/21 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
.....go put a bunch of 8" targets out in a hayfield between 200 and 600 yards at unknown distances then come back, plop down on a shooting mat and see how many you can get with the first shot. That will 100% make you a better rifleman. Get good at that ...
. I like that idea, something to do after turkey season. I like that 8" target idea, that makes for a good shoulder shot on a deer, that is the shot I like to take anyway, the small bullseye in that target will make it like shooting 1 hair on a deer.

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/24/21 05:17 PM

Bar7mag, keep us updated on what all you're doing with your setup, I'm not sure I could see a target that is mile away, unless it is the size of a car.
Posted By: Hangfire

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/24/21 06:01 PM

To get an idea what is involved, and is cheaper, try shooting a .22 lr at 400 and 500 yards. A good scope and low ed ammo is key to reliable hits. Long range shooting is a good time. But it’s expensive. Long range .22 lr is becoming a big deal. With the vudoo rifles and now even reloading 22 lr ammo is starting.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/27/21 05:41 AM

Hire a sniper like this to teach you. Why not 3 miles 1 is old news?
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/americans-set-new-long-range-world-record-5000-yards-2-84-miles/
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Best long range factory set-up for the $ ? - 02/27/21 02:10 PM

If you decide on a 28 Nosler, drop me a PM. I have a friend who wants to sell one of the Savage carbon fiber barrel rifles. It's new in box.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM