Aldeer.com

Best Facing-The-Tree Climber

Posted By: William

Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/26/21 02:24 PM

Title says it all. I'm looking for a good, light climber that faces the tree. I have an old Summit Shooter II that I LOVE, but it's one of their first stands and is made out of steel. It might be the heaviest stand in the world. However, it is remarkably stable and you can sit facing the tree. I'm looking to replace it. What are the best options?

TIA
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/26/21 02:33 PM

Check out deer crossing tree stands. Also Goatkiller had a nice facing stand for sale a while back I think.
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/26/21 02:37 PM

Buck Horn Cadillac is nice too
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/26/21 02:45 PM

Summit 180 has the face the tree choice.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/26/21 02:46 PM

Some lucky fella took my Brent Hunt Trophy Whitetail off my hands. Not a lot of room to move around but a good stand and very lightweight if you can find one somewhere.

Maybe a Buckshot would fit the bill or Summit 180.

Going to be hard to find a climber that is also light in weight.
Posted By: Hornhntr

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/26/21 07:41 PM

Treewalker if you can find one. I have 2 but rarely face the tree but it’s nice to have the option.
Posted By: olemossy

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/26/21 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by William
Title says it all. I'm looking for a good, light climber that faces the tree. I have an old Summit Shooter II that I LOVE, but it's one of their first stands and is made out of steel. It might be the heaviest stand in the world. However, it is remarkably stable and you can sit facing the tree. I'm looking to replace it. What are the best options?

TIA

I wish like hell i could find another Summit Shooter II It was hands down my favorite rifle hunting climbing stand of all time. I accidently ran over mine with a Jeep. I wish i had bought another one immediately. I have even contacted Summit about building another one.custom. I just use my Buckshot now. its just as good just very cumbersome to carry all the time.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/27/21 12:04 AM

Gunslinger is the absolute best in my opinion. I can sit in one all day long with zero issues. I feel very secure in it.
Posted By: James

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/27/21 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by joshm28
I feel very secure in it.

I've never felt secure in a stand that "faces the tree" but hey, that's just me lol
Posted By: !shiloh!

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/27/21 01:02 AM

Same here . I had a gunslinger but I never could get use to hanging that far from the tree. Safety harness was always in my way too.
Posted By: outdoors1

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/27/21 04:19 AM

I would like to see Summit come up with a stand with the full hard pad with a soft cushion for the back in Aluminum frame. The 180 stands are comfortable, but a really good back pad would make it over the top because those foam cushions don't work for me. You may could add your own somehow.
Posted By: Jdkprp70

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/27/21 11:08 AM

Gunslinger sits the best, bar none. Although a pain in the rear to tote and hang...
Posted By: William

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/27/21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by olemossy

I wish like hell i could find another Summit Shooter II It was hands down my favorite rifle hunting climbing stand of all time.

I love mine, but DAMN that thing is heavy. I've been scouting Coosa WMA a bunch this year. I can't imagine toting that thing up and down those hills and hollows over there.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/27/21 05:06 PM

Gunslinger is dang comfortable and stable but you better make sure the bottom is tied to the top. That sucker will slide down a tree in a hurry if not locked in tight.
Posted By: slayinbucks24/7

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/27/21 05:16 PM

Buckshot or equalizer. All I use. Can face the tree or switch the seat in 2 min and be facing outward
Posted By: just_an_illusion

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/28/21 12:58 AM

If you're ok with the saddle style of hunting take a look at the JX3 Hybrid. I've been thinking about trying one myself.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/28/21 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by !shiloh!
Same here . I had a gunslinger but I never could get use to hanging that far from the tree. Safety harness was always in my way too.

Trick with stands that face the tree is wearing a rock climbing harness and tie in on the front. Then the safety line is not in the way.

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/28/21 04:22 PM

I have a safety line that goes around the tree which has a tag end with some slack line. This is meant to go high above your head but if I am facing the tree you can simply move it down the tree to where it lays on the arm rest and is not in the way. There is not much slack in it sitting that far from the tree. So I wouldn't say if I fell I was going to get jerked or anything like that... more likely just swing. There isn't enough slack to free fall. Between the safety line and my harness line there is enough length for it go go along the left rail of the stand, under your armpit and the connection be behind you.

Hope that makes sense. It's like standing on the outside edge of your regular stand... not much room to fall anywhere you are almost at the end of the length of your line.
Posted By: Khitzeman

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/28/21 08:25 PM

Try and find an old Tomcat I/II or fat cat; I have fat cat and some homemade Tomcat I; light and safe for me.
Posted By: 3toe

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/28/21 08:33 PM

TIA

I wish like hell i could find another Summit Shooter II It was hands down my favorite rifle hunting climbing stand of all time. I accidently ran over mine with a Jeep. I wish i had bought another one immediately. I have even contacted Summit about building another one.custom. I just use my Buckshot now. its just as good just very cumbersome to carry all the time.

I had a Summit Shooter II also. Left it on a tree one season and it got water in the tubing, froze, and swelled the tubing to a degree I didn't feel it was safe. I had to trash it. Heavy as hell but also very stable on any type tree.
Posted By: GATA87

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/29/21 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller
Some lucky fella took my Brent Hunt Trophy Whitetail off my hands. Not a lot of room to move around but a good stand and very lightweight if you can find one somewhere.

Maybe a Buckshot would fit the bill or Summit 180.

Going to be hard to find a climber that is also light in weight.

I was that lucky fella. It’s the most comfortable climber I’ve ever used and feels very secure. I could sit all day in it.

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/29/21 07:06 PM

Hope it is treating you well they are a bit awkward to pack long distances but doesn't weight much at all. Good stand glad you are liking it.
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/30/21 02:01 AM

Warren/Sweatt Rifleman climber
Posted By: imadeerhntr

Re: Best Facing-The-Tree Climber - 01/30/21 03:25 PM

TIA

I used to have this same stand back in the day. Loved how you could take the seat and face either way. Then I left it in the woods and someone else decided they wanted it.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM