Aldeer.com

Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob?

Posted By: BCLC

Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 06:40 PM

Possibly the most underrated hunting cartridge to ever grace us with her presence. The 257Roberts gets very little appreciation from the mainstream crowd. Guess the media is too busy choking on a creedmoor chode. (Yes I own a 6.5CM, yea they’re accurate and my kids love it....but it’s got no soul)

Recently picked up this MRC chambered in 257Bob and if she shoots half as good as she looks I’ll be one happy fella.

[Linked Image][url=https://postimages.org/][/url]
Posted By: 257wbymag

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 06:55 PM

Fine round. Very fine gun
Posted By: Reaper

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 06:59 PM

Purdy
Posted By: jb20

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 07:03 PM

That's sharp
Posted By: AlaMiss

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 07:11 PM

My primary hunting gun is Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts topped with an older Zeiss Conquest. I smidge on the heavy side but I love it. My nephew hunts with one I used to own- we are the only 257 Bob shooters in our area.
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 07:50 PM

Good Lord, beautiful rifle.
Posted By: woodswalker

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 08:30 PM

Honestly, I have never seen much written about the cartridge. I started out hunting and shooting with military chamberings such as the .30-06, .308, and 5.56. A friend of mine had a sporterized Swede in 6.5x55 and that's why I eventually got a 6.5 Creedmoor.

However, the 257 Roberts looks like an interesting cartridge to hunt with and I'd have no problems using one.
Posted By: Semo

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 08:50 PM

I'm trying to get my uncle's from my cousin who has no kids. Not only trying to keep it in the family, but also trying to put it to use. Doubt it has been fired since 1963.
Posted By: snakeoil

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 08:52 PM

.....I have always loved the '25 for a White tail rnd.....especially when its a 257 Weatherby!...3600 ft...kills deer dead.....117 Norma BST....sreeeeeams to the target....

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 08:53 PM

Yup 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 08:58 PM

I like my Bob. Bought a Ruger Hawkeye several years ago and it's a sweet shooting gun. Groups 115 gr ballistic tips into groups a little better than 1 MOA. It's nice to shoot at the range when you've been shooting a bunch of rifles with belted cases. Way less muzzle blast and feels like a pop gun after a couple dozen rounds of big boomers.

It's not a lightweight though, and I've still got a hankering for a Kimber with beautiful wood if I ever come across one.
Posted By: Morris

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 09:00 PM

Very nice
Posted By: ChrisAU

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 09:07 PM

One day I’ll have a Kimber Classic in 257 Bob. One popped up on 24HCF last week and it was all I could do to keep myself from buying it.
Posted By: Ar1220

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 09:15 PM

That is one round I have always wanted to own
Esp in a savage 99 just for a lIl nostalgia
Posted By: UncleHuck

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 09:50 PM

One of my favorites. If I were only hunting whitetails and pigs in Alabama, I could be happy with a single rifle in .257 Roberts.

But what's the fun in that?
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 09:57 PM

historically 257 Roberts factory ammo has been loaded to lower pressures. Handloads can usually beat factory loads by a good bit.

I owned one 257Bob, a Ren 760 pump, only one I have ever seen.

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 10:25 PM

Yes, the original SAAMI pressure limits for the Bob was 53 or 54 K PSI. There is a +P rated pressure limit of 58 K PSI, but that is still mild compared to modern cartridges which are typically in the 62-65 K PSI max avg pressure limit.

No reason not to push handloads in the Bob above 60 K in a modern rifle.
Posted By: Big Game Hunter

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 11:00 PM

I’ve got a Nosler TGR M48 chambered in Bob and it’s my go to Alabama deer rifle hands down.
Posted By: hardluck

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 11:17 PM

Buy this Mannlicher-Schoenauer Model 1952 Carbine .257 Roberts. Serial 17258 on 24hourcampfire.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 11:58 PM

I appreciate the ol bob.. I know where these are smile top is a model seven bottom is a Kimber select grade both wearing vx3 2.5-8x36

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BhamFred

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/22/21 11:59 PM

I had a 52 carbine in 243 years ago, fine little rifle.
Posted By: woodduck

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/23/21 05:32 AM

Have my dads old Remington model 722 in 257. Killed
My first deer with it about 40 years ago
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/23/21 05:58 AM

I think it has always been over looked. When I was real young, seemed that everyone had a .243, .270, .308, or a .30-06. People just didn’t seem to have any love for it. As I got older, everyone was looking to burn powder with 7mm mag or .300 Weatherby mag. Maybe now that I am definitely no longer in my prime, it seems that manufactures have gotten a little smarter about the cartridges that are being brought to market in the terms of BC and efficiency. Only problem is that they really and truly aren’t bringing anything that doesn’t closely perform like something that is already out there. That is if we are truly being honest! Don’t get me wrong, I love the new stuff! I think options are great and I love new stuff to get excited about. But what is the staying power of these cartridges??? I have a .338 Federal that I love! Great cartridge performance but it is probably on its last breath with I believe only savage being one of the last big companies to produce rifles in that caliber.

So the Bob has made it this long. There is something to be said for that at least!

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/23/21 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by 1shot
I appreciate the ol bob.. I know where these are smile top is a model seven bottom is a Kimber select grade both wearing vx3 2.5-8x36

[Linked Image]

I’ve got 1000 $1 bills for the pair.
Posted By: Emuckfwa

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/23/21 07:23 AM

Got a Kimber Hunter in 257 I’ve not zeroed in yet. Looking to put it to use next season.

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/23/21 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Big Game Hunter

[Linked Image]

I've got that much for the bottom rifle.

You can have the blond.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/23/21 02:22 PM

I do not believe they are for sale.. but I’m sure they can be bought. Don’t know exactly what it would take but I’m sure no one would want to pay it.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/23/21 06:28 PM

[Linked Image]

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/23/21 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by hunterbuck
[Linked Image]

Well played HB, that’s hilarious. 😂

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/23/21 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

[Linked Image]

You can have the blond.

Don’t mess this deal up for me.
Posted By: TDog93

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/24/21 01:00 AM

Nice guns
My best friend had one and it was awesome - I wanted one bad and it kind of fell off my radar - this May rekindle it 😀

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/24/21 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG

[Linked Image]

You can have the blond.

Don’t mess this deal up for me.

I've got a case of Nattys I'll throw in with my $1000 to sweeten the deal.

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/24/21 07:28 PM

Damn you!
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/25/21 02:56 PM

Better than a .243

That's not saying much but at least there is something.
Posted By: Megacott

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/25/21 09:14 PM

My dad did not start hunting until I was a teenager in the early 80’s. His first rifle was a Ruger M77 257 Roberts long action. Killed a buck on his first hunt. I own it now. She has killed many deer. All my kids have killed with it and many friends also. He still reloads my ammo. That rifle will never leave our family.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/28/21 03:20 PM

Fine round and sweet rifle.
Posted By: dtmwtp

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/31/21 12:03 AM

BCLC, when you get bored with Bob, I've got place for it beside another MRC! thumbup

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/31/21 12:48 AM

You have BCLC confused with AC. BCLC don’t cull schit!
Posted By: k bush

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/31/21 02:04 AM

Have nothing against the quarter-bores, but have always had stuff just below (6mm) and just above (6.5mm). Wouldn't mind having a Bob but with components and ammo the way they are currently I don't think it's a good time to experiment with new calibers.

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/31/21 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

rofl I think Dan may have more of MY rifles than I do...Might as well give him the combination to the fun room. beers

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/31/21 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by dtmwtp
BCLC, when you get bored with Bob, I've got place for it beside another MRC! thumbup

I was shocked that Bob has a slightly heavier barrel contour and is also 1inch longer than the 260. Slightly different stock profile, not better or worse...just different enough to notice while handling.

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/31/21 02:20 AM

😳

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/31/21 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Originally Posted by dtmwtp

I was shocked that Bob has a slightly heavier barrel contour and is also 1inch longer than the 260. Slightly different stock profile, not better or worse...just different enough to notice while handling.

Surprised it's longer than the 260.

You can text me the combination, I won't tell anyone. grin

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/31/21 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by 257wbymag

He will occasionally, you just got to catch him when he is trying to fit another one in the safe.

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/31/21 05:15 AM

🤣🤣🤣🤣

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 01/31/21 05:36 AM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wynn

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 02/03/21 08:27 PM

Got one in a Kimber Classic Select with a Steiner GS3 on top of it. Been my go to deer rifle the last two seasons now.

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 02/04/21 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by wynn
Got one in a Kimber Classic Select with a Steiner GS3 on top of it. Been my go to deer rifle the last two seasons now.

That Kimber of yours has some of the finest Walnut I’ve ever seen on a factory rifle. I should have my head examined for selling that one but I’m glad to hear you’re enjoying it! Hopefully she treats you well
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 02/05/21 01:43 AM

If that's a fast twist barrel I recommend trying some Blackjack bullets
Posted By: hardluck

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 02/05/21 01:54 AM

I’ve not saw a Bob under 1000 bucks.

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 02/05/21 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by 1bamashooter
If that's a fast twist barrel I recommend trying some Blackjack bullets

It’s supposed to be a 1:10 twist tube but I’ve checked it 3 times with a patch and it’s measuring 1:9 if not 1:8.75. The rifle wasn’t a big fan of 100gr bullets but showed promise with the 115gr Bergers and 120gr Partitions & AB’s. I’ll have to see about getting my hands on some of those Blackjack heavies. I like what I’m seeing on their page, thanks for the suggestion.
Posted By: BowtechDan

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 02/05/21 02:27 AM

I may pull out my Dad's guns. But that Unertl scope is probably too strong.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: Why don’t more folks appreciate Bob? - 02/05/21 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by BowtechDan
I may pull out my Dad's guns. But that Unertl scope is probably too strong.

Post a Pic of it I love those old Unertl scopes. I've been thinking about building a 1903A4 or a M70 sniper rifle
© 2024 ALDEER.COM