Aldeer.com

AR-15 front sight

Posted By: Abram

AR-15 front sight - 01/18/21 12:52 AM

I bought the GF a Optic for her AR-15, the only problem is the A2 sight on her S&W M&P interferes. I have been researching the flip front sights with the gas blocks. I know very little about these style of rifles, I am more of a M1A and Garand shooter. For those of you who own these type of rifles which do you think would be better, A flip sight with Gas block or a Railed gas block and separate flip up sight?

Thank you
Posted By: Madmax0818

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/18/21 01:45 AM

I personally would replace the A2 sight and gas block and just buy a set of MBUS flip ups.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/18/21 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Madmax0818
I personally would replace the A2 sight and gas block and just buy a set of MBUS flip ups.

I've done this and also use a YHM flip up front sight/gas block combo.
The hard part these days is finding the parts to do either.
I have also cut the front sight base right where it meets the gas tube port, filed it flat and cold blued it.
Made the gun look like a Bushmaster ORC.
Posted By: 1bamashooter

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/18/21 06:19 AM

Get a cowitness mount
Posted By: Geno

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/18/21 01:23 PM

Cut it off, smooth it up and hit it with black permanent marker.
Posted By: MS_Hunter

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/18/21 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Madmax0818

This is what I did. Put a low profile gas block, full length rail and flip up front sight.
Posted By: Pocosin

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/19/21 02:43 AM

When rules changed and they started allowing optics in highpower competition, a lot of guys just cut their front sights off like Gundoc and Geno said, to save some money. Hacksaw it off or use a dremel cut off wheel and smooth it out with a file or stone, then refinish. Works like a charm.

Also second YHM for the front flip sight if that is the route you decide to go.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/19/21 06:08 AM

What optic?never had a problem with a2 FSB actually prefer as it cowitness with red dot and not seen by scopes. it's most rugged fool proof way of having front sight post.its pinned to barrel best method of a front sight far as durability.
Sounds like your working around a non existent problem remember our military has used them like this a long time.much more rugged than free float rail or front flip sight
Posted By: Abram

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/20/21 01:13 AM

Thanks the suggestions fellas. I am going to do a little more digging and studying
Posted By: roadkill

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/20/21 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by 3% outdoorsman
What optic?never had a problem with a2 FSB actually prefer as it cowitness with red dot and not seen by scopes. it's most rugged fool proof way of having front sight post.its pinned to barrel best method of a front sight far as durability.
Sounds like your working around a non existent problem remember our military has used them like this a long time.much more rugged than free float rail or front flip sight

What the man said - I use it as cowitness with a vortex red dot and a scope doesn't show that its there. There isn't a problem to fix.
Posted By: Hangfire

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/20/21 12:02 PM

[quote=Abram]Thanks the suggestions fellas. I am going to do a little more digging and studying[/

If your near me I’d have that fixed up for you in 10 minutes, and it wouldn’t cost you anything. Might even have a low pro gas block you could have. What handguards are on the rifle? Because if it doesn’t come with a free float handguard, you may want to do that at the same time. Depending on what length gas system it has, you may want a longer handguard installed. And a low pro gas block will allow the longer handguard to go past the gas block and be free floating.
Posted By: Geno

Re: AR-15 front sight - 01/28/21 03:25 PM

I whacked a few off because I no longer had a rear sight and didn't want the extra weight or a snaggly doohickey up there to catch on vines and such. At the time you could put another one on for pennies if there was some reason to.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM