Aldeer.com

Which Loctite?

Posted By: HHSyelper

Which Loctite? - 01/12/21 02:37 PM

I need to mount a base to a shotgun, to put a vortex on. Which loctite do I need to use, or should I not use any? I remember someone discussing this in another thread in the past. Thanks
Posted By: Mdees

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/12/21 02:45 PM

I use the Loctite Blue 242 when I need to. It’s a good thread locker and sealer but removable with hand tools.
Posted By: 1shot

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/12/21 02:46 PM

I use LocTite 222 ( Purple )
Posted By: Thread Killer

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/12/21 02:52 PM

Blue
Posted By: riflenut

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/12/21 02:53 PM

Blue
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/12/21 02:57 PM

Either purple or blue will work, but if you’re talking a shotgun base, then blue would be stronger....IIRC

Rings should not need loctite, provided good screws and proper torque for threads. If you just have to use loctite on rings, purple has been easier to remove later.
Posted By: 2Dogs

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/12/21 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 1shot
I use LocTite 222 ( Purple )

Clean and prime screws and threads, it'll hold much better.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/12/21 03:04 PM

I used it when I owned a .50 I think that was the only time that I can recall.
Posted By: HHSyelper

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/12/21 03:33 PM

Thanks guys
Posted By: mauvilla

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/13/21 05:10 AM

Used finger nail polish and had good luck
Posted By: James

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/13/21 05:39 AM

RED

Just Kidding 😁
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/13/21 12:51 PM

I use blue on base screws.
I use purple on the screws that hold the sight to the base.

I don't use any on scope ring cap screws
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/13/21 03:16 PM

^^^^^
Pretty much the way to go. Purple is removable for scope cap screws, but it jacks up any torque value and can stretch threads too much.
Posted By: Jcalloway

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/20/21 01:57 AM

It really depends. I use blue on everything, but if it’s a base that you know you will never take off again, I might be inclined to use red. You can still get it off if you ever needed to. Just a little heat and it will come off.

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/20/21 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by ALMODUX
^^^^^
Pretty much the way to go. Purple is removable for scope cap screws, but it jacks up any torque value and can stretch threads too much.

Never heard about stretching threads , next time the Loctite Rep comes in the shop I'm gonna quiz him on it.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/20/21 02:47 AM

I wouldn't bother the fact of the matter is you don't need it. I have only used it one time in my life and I can't tell you why I used it then other than I read some thread on the internet and convinced myself I should try it. I think it was on an AOL Chat room or something... LOL! That's how this shucks gets started.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/20/21 03:04 AM

I prefer the red Loctite but only use it to keep a Clorox jug stuck to my killin’ stump
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/21/21 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC
I prefer the red Loctite but only use it to keep a Clorox jug stuck to my killin’ stump

rofl

In all seriousness I use it when installing stake on 1911 front sights.
Never had one I put on shoot lose or fly off either.
Posted By: NEbamahunter

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/23/21 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by 2Dogs
^^^^^

Never heard about stretching threads , next time the Loctite Rep comes in the shop I'm gonna quiz him on it.

Torquing a fastener implies stretching threads (aka preloading). Adding a liquid to threads changes the friction coefficient and will screw up torque values. Maybe someone could use a "dry thread" torque value on "wet" threads and "stretch" the threads even more but really just means overtorquing or taking the metal beyond yield strength into plastic deformation.

Re: Which Loctite? - 01/23/21 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by NEbamahunter
Originally Posted by 2Dogs
^^^^^

Torquing a fastener implies stretching threads (aka preloading). Adding a liquid to threads changes the friction coefficient and will screw up torque values. Maybe someone could use a "dry thread" torque value on "wet" threads and "stretch" the threads even more but really just means overtorquing or taking the metal beyond yield strength into plastic deformation.

Sorry I should have stated never heard of loctite causing thread stretching. There are torque values for dry and lubed threaded fasteners. High quality shcs come lightly lubed. I'd think the torque spec provided with the mounts wouldn't change adding a drop of small screw loctite. That's just my thoughts applying what I've learned over my career pulling shcs as a tool and die maker.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM