Aldeer.com

Traditional sights or red dot scope?

Posted By: BamaGrad85

Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/10/20 04:47 AM

Just received my new SA Saint Victor AR Pistol from Palmetto State Armory. Should I go with traditional flip up sights or invest in a red dot sight. I bought it from defense at the house not hunting.
What say Aldeer? Pros & Cons of either? Thanks.
Posted By: Skullworks

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/10/20 11:50 AM

1-4 or 1-6 scope with illuminated reticle set up to co-witness with your sights.
Posted By: AU7MM08

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/10/20 01:15 PM

For defense of the house, I would say red dot espicially given the extremely short 7.5" barrel on the gun.
The red dot will put less bulk and less weight on the rifle than a low power scope.

Red dot and a bright flashlight mount/weapon light and you're set.

I can't think of a situation in a residential setting that a home owner would be making a shot longer than 10 or so yards under 99% of the time and under 50 yards that rare 1% chance situation.

Now if you said you wanted to mix in some hunting, a 1-6 would be a better option.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/10/20 03:01 PM

If you’re using lights indoors, good RD sights can be the way to go. Sometimes bounce back, reflection, bloom....whatever, from high output lights can give trouble with open sights and LPVs. RDs overcome this better.....you can still impose a dot on target, even when you can’t see through it. Some LPVs have reticles that are bright enough, as well. If not adding a lot of light, anything will work, and you’ll want a dimmer reticle anyway. The other option is to use what you want for a sight for all conditions, and just use a laser/light combo that you clip on for night/indoor use. That doesn’t require any proper mount at all, to get rounds on target at short range. There’s arguments for/against it all....but whatever works for you, is best for YOU.
Posted By: Rmart30

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/10/20 06:07 PM

i put a Vortex SPARC red dot on my saint pistol. fits it very well. https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-SPARC-Red-Sight/dp/B07YDSVM8C
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/10/20 07:15 PM

Ghost Rings and Laser sight
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/11/20 01:29 AM

Sig Romeo 5
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/11/20 10:42 AM

Aimpoint micro and you won't ever have to worry about it not coming on when you need it.

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/11/20 03:34 PM

LOL....Aimpoints aren’t immune from failure, either. Some others are at least as reliable, durable, etc....if not more so.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/11/20 09:42 PM

Put a red dot that co witness with irons. Best of both worlds
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/12/20 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by joshm28
Put a red dot that co witness with irons. Best of both worlds

That would be my suggestion. But if you're gonna pick between the 2, the red dot is superior. The irons cover up to much of the target in my opinion. The sig romeo 5 is nice, the spark is alright as well. You don't wanna use a reflex red dot like the fast fire because it sits to low on the gun.
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/12/20 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Aimpoint micro and you won't ever have to worry about it not coming on when you need it.

X2

You don’t want to be trying to cut it on last minute if you need it.

Argument against the red dot though is that if your sole intent for the rifle is home defense, you won’t be aiming down the sight anyways if you need to use it. For the most part, you’re just going to point and shoot at such close range.

P.s. start practicing sign language now, because you’ll never hear anything again after popping off a few 5.56 rounds indoors. Especially from a shorty barrel.
Posted By: R_H_Clark

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/13/20 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by ALMODUX
LOL....Aimpoints aren’t immune from failure, either. Some others are at least as reliable, durable, etc....if not more so.

So what red dot is more reliable?
Posted By: GKelly

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/13/20 08:09 PM

i like a holographic sight with a flip down rear iron sight and solid front sight so i can use either one if my optic fails
Posted By: BamaGrad85

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/14/20 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Big Bore
Sig Romeo 5

After much reading and reviewing I decided on a Sig Romeo5. I'll probably add flip-up sights later. Thanks for all of y'alls input. It was greatly appreciated.
Posted By: joshm28

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/14/20 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Broadhead26

X2

Argument against the red dot though is that if your sole intent for the rifle is home defense, you won’t be aiming down the sight anyways if you need to use it. For the most part, you’re just going to point and shoot at such close range.

P.s. start practicing sign language now, because you’ll never hear anything again after popping off a few 5.56 rounds indoors. Especially from a shorty barrel.

That goes for pretty much any gun in confined space and the exact reason I’m shooting suppressed .300blk with an 8” barrel.
Posted By: Broadhead26

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/14/20 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by joshm28
Originally Posted by Broadhead26

X2

That goes for pretty much any gun in confined space and the exact reason I’m shooting suppressed .300blk with an 8” barrel.

I have that exact same setup and it’ll still make my ears ring after a few shots outdoors. Not nearly as bad, but no way in hell I’d want to be anywhere near one of those going off indoors.
Posted By: Geno

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/15/20 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by Skullworks
1-4 or 1-6 scope with illuminated reticle set up to co-witness with your sights.

This ^^

Stage electronic muffs with EVERY weapon.
Posted By: goodman_hunter

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/15/20 03:30 PM

The only disadvantage to a red dot optic, is fogging up. That can be remedied with an antifogging spray, but thought I'd just throw that out there.

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/16/20 03:14 AM

There’s a lot of minor nuances to dot only sights: no power= no dot, and no dot= paperweight. Fogging up and occlusion are no real obstacles, as it’s still useable, even if you can’t see through it, so long as the dot is visible. None are truly parallax free, and that can mess with repeatable precision.....all sight types have pros and cons. Weigh them vs your use, and roll....running the sight/gun you have is more important than having the perfect mousetrap.
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/16/20 11:56 AM

For home defense....red dot all the way.

I would imagine that 90%+ of home defense applications would be in the dark...thereby rendering traditional open sights/scopes useless anyway.

In your home, in the dark, you have the advantage. You know your home's layout...intruders don't, unless it's someone you know. You still have the advantage in that case, though.

The vast majority of our special forces use either Aimpoint or EOTech (with a few going for Trijicon) for clearing buildings...essentially home defense style work. I trust what they use.

Re: Traditional sights or red dot scope? - 10/17/20 10:37 PM

In the pitch dark, a red dot is as worthless as anything else when you can’t see your target. If you add some light, to see your target, then most other stuff works, also. “The vast majority of our special forces“ do NOT use either Aimpoints or EoTechs. There are more Trijicons (of various types...dot, prism. LPV) on our books (last I saw), some Aimpoints, some Elcans, and some leftover EoTechs. It doesn’t really work like that, anyway....most any individual has 2-3 different options assigned/available, for the use at hand. They pick what fits that niche. Red dots can work great, but they’re not necessarily always inherently ‘better’, than other stuff.....other stuff can have illuminated aiming points AND stuff red dots don’t.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM