Aldeer.com

One more old gun (Colt 1911)

Posted By: roadkill

One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/08/20 11:08 PM

then I'll give y'all a break. Title is right - original 1911, military contract, Colt mfg, date of production 1918, shown with WWI US Brodie helmet with sand paint pattern. Also a two tone magazine, 1918 holster, and a 1918 LF&C trench knife. The original 1911s had a very thin bluing and faded over time. Its a decent shooter but I have trouble with the sights being so small.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/09/20 12:02 AM

For me the trench knife is THE gem in these pictures. All of it is truly awesome, though! What I'd give to have one of those trench knives and I passed over a bunch back in the day frown

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/09/20 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
For me the trench knife is THE gem in these pictures. All of it is truly awesome, though! What I'd give to have one of those trench knives and I passed over a bunch back in the day frown

Not easy to find anymore - like all that old military stuff its become stupid expensive too.
Posted By: AC870

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/09/20 12:17 AM

That 1911 is a timeless design. John Moses was a genius.

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/09/20 12:30 AM

Absolutely - their skill with the tools at the time is amazing. This gun (as the others I've shown) are right at or over 100 years old and function flawlessly. The fit and finishing is very tight and smooth. Springs wear out and need to be replaced but the machining and finishing is as new. I still shoot all of them, use my reloads, make sure I don't get too much bullet in the gun. The sights are universally bad though - but so are my eyes.
Posted By: jwalker77

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/09/20 12:46 AM

I wish I had asked to see your toyroom when I was up there. You have some pretty cool stuff.
Posted By: .308

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/09/20 09:04 AM

Amazing collection!

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/09/20 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by jwalker77
I wish I had asked to see your toyroom when I was up there. You have some pretty cool stuff.

Thanks but its not here at home where you did the tree trimming. I have another place where its all stored.
Posted By: Out back

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/09/20 12:35 PM

Obviously the 1911 is one of my favorite pistols. I love almost every configuration of the various 1911s.
My grandaddy had one from the WWII era with those small fixed sights.
Its definitely a poor design, especially in low light. My old eyes can't even focus on that front ramp.

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/09/20 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Out back
Obviously the 1911 is one of my favorite pistols. I love almost every configuration of the various 1911s.
My grandaddy had one from the WWII era with those small fixed sights.
Its definitely a poor design, especially in low light. My old eyes can't even focus on that front ramp.

Might be old eyes (like me) or really small sights but most of the old military handguns are difficult to shoot. Sights are not good, overall mediocre at best triggers, difficult magazine changes. The best of the era for me is the Browning High Power. The Belgian High Powers manufactured under German occupation are overall alright but I have a Canadian gun that I won't even shoot anymore. That bad. The two absolutely best shooters I have of the era are a Spanish Star and a Polish VIS 35 Radom. Both German military guns, both very good handguns. P38s are decent though.
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/09/20 02:04 PM

I like those High Powers too I have never owned a really nice one but I have always liked them.

You got some cool stuff Roadkill.

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/10/20 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

I like those High Powers too I have never owned a really nice one but I have always liked them.

You got some cool stuff Roadkill.

thanks - if you want i'll do High Powers next. I've always liked them too..
Posted By: Buck_TrackingAL

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/10/20 12:10 AM

Very neat thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Oscarflytyer

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/16/20 01:18 AM

"Might be old eyes (like me) or really small sights but most of the old military handguns are difficult to shoot. Sights are not good, overall mediocre at best triggers, difficult magazine changes."

Lol! You know I love the revolvers! And two of the best/easiest milsurp handguns to shoot are the 1917 45 ACP/AR and the 38 Victory! My Brazilian 1917 is one of my best shooters. Ugly/scarred, but shoots extremely well and not ammo picky! I also have a non-milsurp Star BM, and it also shoots extremely well. One I couldn't get back from Germany was the Luger. I love that design/ergonomics. Just "fits" my hand, even better than a 1911. And I shot it very well, even with the minimal sights (course, that WAS with 20-something eyes! LOL!)

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/16/20 02:22 AM

I've always been impressed with the Star Model B. Well made, great finish, excellent overall handguns.
Posted By: BCLC

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/16/20 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by roadkill
I've always been impressed with the Star Model B. Well made, great finish, excellent overall handguns.

I love a Model B, the 2 I’ve handled both functioned flawlessly and were a blast to shoot ....most folks think Samuel L Jackson carries a hard chrome 1911 in Pulp Fiction but it’s a Star Model B. My lil tidbit of movie trivia for the day. grin

Re: One more old gun (Colt 1911) - 09/16/20 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Originally Posted by roadkill

I love a Model B, the 2 I’ve handled both functioned flawlessly and were a blast to shoot ....most folks think Samuel L Jackson carries a hard chrome 1911 in Pulp Fiction but it’s a Star Model B. My lil tidbit of movie trivia for the day. grin

Did not know that - they are definitely an under rated gun.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM