Aldeer.com

Glock 17

Posted By: Claims Rep.

Glock 17 - 07/27/20 03:56 AM

Thoughts on the Gen 5? I’m looking hard at one, and if I get it it’ll be the first Glock I’ve ever owned. I’ve always been a big XD fan, and also owned Sig and others. Thoughts on the 17? Pros/cons?
Posted By: BCLC

Re: Glock 17 - 07/27/20 04:52 AM

It was an in-betweener for me and I ended up trading it off and sticking with the G19 & G34. The Gen5’s are my favorite generation so far. If you don’t like it I know a fella that wouldn’t object to another G17.
Posted By: AC870

Re: Glock 17 - 07/27/20 12:06 PM

I think police carry them for a reason.
High capacity. Easy to shoot fairly accurately.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: Glock 17 - 07/27/20 12:11 PM

I've got a Gen 5 model 45. It's a 17 lower with a 19 slide.
I really like it. The gen 3 and 4 with the finger grooves cramped my had up on teh grip and those slide would cut me.
I haven't had the problem with this one.
Posted By: willdo22

Re: Glock 17 - 07/27/20 02:00 PM

Gonna be a good bit different than a XD.
Posted By: roadkill

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 12:52 AM

Shoot it first. Glocks are different. Some folks (me - I've had four- I really tried) just could not adjust. Great guns, accurate, reliable. I guess there is too much old school in me.
Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 01:35 AM

I have a 19, 26, and a XD. the XD is very similar the triggers are very comparible.if you like or shoot a XD well you'll shoot a Glock well.
If you want a good shooting range toy or home defense weapon that's uncomfortable for concealment get a 17. If you think at all you will carry it for self defense get a 19,26,43,43x
My 26 shoots exactly the same as the bigger 19. I really feel I shoot the smaller 26 better?

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 02:29 AM

I appreciate the comments. I’ve already shot a 17, 19, and 45. I liked the way the 17 fit my hand. I’m a big fella, and won’t have any problem concealing the 17. I carried a Beretta 92fs for several years....
Posted By: James

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 02:40 AM

I'm partial to the GEN3s, but the 5s are solid handguns.
Posted By: jrs89

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 02:43 AM

Glocks are the toyotas of the handgun world.

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by James

That Gen3 Tenifer finish is bombproof...I need a truck coated in that stuff
Posted By: Lead Poison

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 03:11 AM

I much prefer the Gen 5 series of Glocks over all the others

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Originally Posted by James

That Gen3 Tenifer finish is bombproof...I need a truck coated in that stuff

Nah. nope...My BIL sweated on his (gen 3 27) and it DESTROYED the slide and barrel.
I've seen one other that rusted but he caught it in time to cerakote it and stop it.

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 04:03 AM

It's insane someone would remove the finish off a Glock to replace with cerakote.i pour sweat on a XD and a Glock all year long and its
nuts to put spray paint on top of it

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Claims Rep.
I appreciate the comments. I’ve already shot a 17, 19, and 45. I liked the way the 17 fit my hand. I’m a big fella, and won’t have any problem concealing the 17. I carried a Beretta 92fs for several years....

Which means your going to leave it in your vehicle or at home like the berreta 92.doesnt matter how big you are your not carrying a berreta 92 all day everyday.i bet.hey go buy one you got it all figured out

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by 3% outdoorsman

Which means your going to leave it in your vehicle or at home like the berreta 92.doesnt matter how big you are your not carrying a berreta 92 all day everyday.i bet.hey go buy one you got it all figured out

Got any good stock market tips while you’re at it? Didn’t think so. I’ll just keep being me, and life will continue to be good as it has been. thumbup

Re: Glock 17 - 07/28/20 01:51 PM

It's insane someone would remove the finish off a Glock to replace with cerakote.i pour sweat on a XD and a Glock all year long and its
nuts to put spray paint on top of it

Well, when their sweat ate through the finish they did what they had to do to mitigate the damage.
Although it is applied in somewhat the same manner, I assure you,Cerakote is NOT simply spray paint
Posted By: AC870

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 01:13 AM

Uh oh. The secret is out. Cerakote = Krylon!

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 01:30 AM

Shake & bake rofl

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by BCLC
Shake & bake rofl

This^^^^ beers

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 04:47 AM

Well it's a joke in the gun world.alot of so called gun Smith's are merely gun spray painters cause they think applying cerakote makes them a gunsmith .it's easier faster to apply than hot blue or parkerizing also and affordable compared to nitrided and I believe nitriding comes with EPA regs . i have a cerakoted custom rifle and in no way is cerakote better than a nitrided finish regardless of what they call their version melonite/tenifer/nitrided ..cerakote it's spray paint it can wear off and scuff up and I'll agree it's the best finish that a small shop can apply it is very durable on non friction moving parts but not good as surface hardened treated with nitride.cerakote is used on some factory guns so it's good stuff but my point I wouldn't want it on something that was holstered everyday or gets used hard regularly or I cared what it looked like in 5 years that's where any non spray paint true chemically bonded finish will do better

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 04:57 AM

Got any good stock market tips while you’re at it? Didn’t think so. I’ll just keep being me, and life will continue to be good as it has been. thumbup

Just trying to save you some money for 3 yrs from now when you decide to get something smaller you'll get more use out of.been down that road but hey when you get ready to trade it hit me up I might be needing a idpa match gun 👍
Posted By: James

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 05:02 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 12:24 PM

Well it's a joke in the gun world.alot of so called gun Smith's are merely gun spray painters cause they think applying cerakote makes them a gunsmith .it's easier faster to apply than hot blue or parkerizing also and affordable compared to nitrided and I believe nitriding comes with EPA regs . i have a cerakoted custom rifle and in no way is cerakote better than a nitrided finish regardless of what they call their version melonite/tenifer/nitrided ..cerakote it's spray paint it can wear off and scuff up and I'll agree it's the best finish that a small shop can apply it is very durable on non friction moving parts but not good as surface hardened treated with nitride.cerakote is used on some factory guns so it's good stuff but my point I wouldn't want it on something that was holstered everyday or gets used hard regularly or I cared what it looked like in 5 years that's where any non spray paint true chemically bonded finish will do better

You're right in regards to it not being nitride coatings....Anyone who thinks it is, is delusional.
That said, anyone who who thinks nitride/tenifer/melonite is the be all end all, after seeing what can destroy it, is just as delusional.
I have seen it's weakness, I have also seen what cerakote can and cannot do.

Bluing comes with EPA regs too. I had to sign a statement saying I would NOT being bluing anything without filing a disposal plan with the EPA.
Wish I had room for a bluing tank set up though.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 02:13 PM

I conceal carried full sized Beretta 92s, 1911s, HiPowers, Glock 17s, and SIG M11/228s and 229s for years and years, here and abroad. Some places I ‘should not’ have carried, due to host nation (or US state) policies, etc. Sure, it’s easier to carry and conceal smaller and lighter stuff. it’s more about need and mindset than worrying about wishes or what is easier.

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 02:23 PM

FWIW, the G1/2 finishes have held up far better than those on the later Gen Glocks. This G1 Glock (next to a G3) is OOOOLD. Been carried ALL over. Been shot more than any single handgun I have any first hand experience with. Salt, desert, and jungle exposed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by gundoc

You're right in regards to it not being nitride coatings....Anyone who thinks it is, is delusional.
That said, anyone who who thinks nitride/tenifer/melonite is the be all end all, after seeing what can destroy it, is just as delusional.
I have seen it's weakness, I have also seen what cerakote can and cannot do.

Bluing comes with EPA regs too. I had to sign a statement saying I would NOT being bluing anything without filing a disposal plan with the EPA.
Wish I had room for a bluing tank set up though.

Yes they def. Both have a strength and weakness for sure both are great and best two things going for durability

Re: Glock 17 - 07/29/20 08:16 PM

It does seem the gen 3 and older finishes are slightly better.

Re: Glock 17 - 07/30/20 01:22 AM

Just trying to save you some money for 3 yrs from now when you decide to get something smaller you'll get more use out of.been down that road but hey when you get ready to trade it hit me up I might be needing a idpa match gun 👍

rolleyes Makes me wonder how I’ve made it 49 years without you.... rolleyes

Re: Glock 17 - 07/30/20 01:50 AM

Probably thinks that’s gonna be the only pistol you own. I say buy whatever you want and shoot the chit out of it. My name is BCLC and I’m an enabler thumbup
Posted By: J_Martin

Re: Glock 17 - 07/30/20 11:51 PM

Had the same experience as Gundoc. 4 deployments in the sandbox gets you a lot of experiences with finish and reliability. The Glock never missed a beat. The finish, not so much...
Posted By: J_Martin

Re: Glock 17 - 07/30/20 11:53 PM

Gundoc, btw, Michael Smiths 6.5 that you put a break on for his daughter is amazing. I still can’t get him to sell
Me that gun though 🤷🏼‍♂️ I got some work
Coming your way lol

Re: Glock 17 - 07/31/20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by J_Martin
Gundoc, btw, Michael Smiths 6.5 that you put a break on for his daughter is amazing. I still can’t get him to sell
Me that gun though 🤷🏼‍♂️ I got some work
Coming your way lol

Awesome! Thanks!!
thumbup
Posted By: globe

Re: Glock 17 - 07/31/20 02:06 PM

I had a gen 3 and loved it but the back straps on the gen 4 were worth the upgrade. I’m kicking around a gen 5 34 myself. I really don’t think you can go wrong with either. Only Glock I haven’t been able to keep was the 26. I’ve tried and it’s too uncomfortable to carry for the round capacity. I’d just assume carry a 19.

Re: Glock 17 - 07/31/20 04:38 PM

Yeah, the 26/27 is too small for my liking too.
Posted By: Bar7Mag

Re: Glock 17 - 07/31/20 06:17 PM

Globe,

What do you think about the 43x? I am carrying it with the shield arms mags that make it hold 16 rounds. It is my favorite carry piece so far.

Re: Glock 17 - 07/31/20 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by gundoc
Yeah, the 26/27 is too small for my liking too.

I run 26s with a grip boot on G19 mags. ....feels and shoots like a 19 after that.
© 2024 ALDEER.COM