Aldeer.com

They're coming after braces...

Posted By: CKyleC

They're coming after braces... - 06/16/20 11:28 PM

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General...s-Restricting-Arm-Brace-Usage/5-2339157/

Link is to another forum..

Rep. Gaetz held a press conference saying he is pushing back against the atf's plan to regulate braces...
Posted By: Wiley Coyote

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 12:02 AM

More of the ATF making it up as they go. Obama leftovers. Which particular arm brace is the ATF targeting? Unless I missed it in the article, it didn't say.
Posted By: furnfeather

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 12:23 AM

The general consensus over on ar15 is sba3 from reading through the thread.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 12:46 AM

It didn't say the specific one. It did say 700k in use.

I'd think either SBA3 or Shockwave

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 12:47 AM

Also, I had not heard of this until today.... Is Gaetz actually providing cover for them?
Posted By: BCLC

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 01:26 AM

$5 says it’s the SBA3, too much like a standard collapsible stock in ease of adjustment. I’m just glad SOMEBODY is standing up for gun owner’s rights. Fingers crossed the ATF stays the course and doesn’t change the brace laws.
Posted By: whack-n-stack

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 01:28 AM

I’d take it a step further and ask what makes a 12” barrel more dangerous than a 16”
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by whack-n-stack
I’d take it a step further and ask what makes a 12” barrel more dangerous than a 16”

Absophuckinglutelynuffin.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 02:15 AM

Just exactly how does the ATF or ANYBODY know where all these braces are? I don't take my stuff out in public (have my own range) and unless I have to confront/shoot somebody it will never be known what I have or don't have.
Posted By: AU338MAG

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote
Just exactly how does the ATF or ANYBODY know where all these braces are? I don't take my stuff out in public (have my own range) and unless I have to confront/shoot somebody it will never be known what I have or don't have.

Because you talk about these things online.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by AU338MAG
Originally Posted by Wiley Coyote

Because you talk about these things online.

And taxes.

Inventory, Sales, Production, etc....

eta: Also Credit Card purchases
Posted By: Goatkiller

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 03:08 PM

I like the one dude that replied we should just take over a city and start making demands.....

Couple months ago.... I would have thought that was a stoopid comment.
Posted By: gundoc

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BCLC
$5 says it’s the SBA3, too much like a standard collapsible stock in ease of adjustment. I’m just glad SOMEBODY is standing up for gun owner’s rights. Fingers crossed the ATF stays the course and doesn’t change the brace laws.

I agree
Being they use a standard mil-spec receiver extension, I've always questioned how they were legal.
I didn't think you could put a carbine/rifle receiver extension on a "pistol"
Posted By: jmudler

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 05:12 PM

So you can buy a SBA3, a 3" barrel and not have a SBR? I have never had a interest in a AR pistol just curious.
Posted By: GomerPyle

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by whack-n-stack

nothing, except maybe to your hearing........................which is why SUPPRESSORS SHOULD BE DEREGULATED

seriously, you should be able to walk into Academy or Walmart and walk down an aisle in the hunting/fishing department and grab a suppressor off the rack in a plastic blister pack and walk to the register and pay and leave. It's asinine that there's anymore to it than that.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/17/20 07:38 PM

I agree. The real stupid thing is... a SBR is illegal.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/18/20 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Goatkiller

A 16" marlin lever action in 44mag is legal
A 6" revolver in 44mag is legal

a marlin lever action in 44mag with the barrel cut to 6" is illegal....RIDICULOUS

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/18/20 03:06 AM

An UNREGISTERED SBR is illegal. And I hate the registration requirement as much as anybody.
Posted By: Cynical

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/18/20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by gundoc

I agree
Being they use a standard mil-spec receiver extension, I've always questioned how they were legal.

You gotta clarify this, because it reads probably like you don’t want it to (and we know you know a ton about the platform).

The ar direct impingement system has to have a buffer tube, even in pistol configuration. Then along came Sb tactical a few years back and stuck a formed piece of rubber onto the tube that’s always been there, and said it was designed to slip over your forearm to help stabilize the pistol when firing it like a pistol. And people said, hmmm, instead of putting that rubber over my forearm, I can butt it up against my shoulder and it’ll be kinda like a stock even though it wasn’t designed as a shoulder stock or for that purpose. Those pieces of rubber could be moved up and down the buffer tube to adjust length (remember there were ODIN Works locking rings used originally to keep the rubber Sb brace in place from sliding up the tube). The A3 brace is just an evolution that solves the problem of allowing adjustability of the brace for forearm length without having to use a locking ring.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/18/20 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cynical

I agree

You gotta clarify this, because it reads probably like you don’t want it to (and we know you know a ton about the platform).

The ar direct impingement system has to have a buffer tube, even in pistol configuration. Then along came Sb tactical a few years back and stuck a formed piece of rubber onto the tube that’s always been there, and said it was designed to slip over your forearm to help stabilize the pistol when firing it like a pistol. And people said, hmmm, instead of putting that rubber over my forearm, I can butt it up against my shoulder and it’ll be kinda like a stock even though it wasn’t designed as a shoulder stock or for that purpose. Those pieces of rubber could be moved up and down the buffer tube to adjust length (remember there were ODIN Works locking rings used originally to keep the rubber Sb brace in place from sliding up the tube). The A3 brace is just an evolution that solves the problem of allowing adjustability of the brace for forearm length without having to use a locking ring.

What would you like me to clarify?

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/18/20 02:01 PM

I can clarify something.... that my pistol brace already burned up in a flood.

Been having a rash of floods these past 10 years.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/18/20 02:55 PM

Your's too?!?!
Posted By: Buck_TrackingAL

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/18/20 04:16 PM

They have been caused by climate change.
laugh
Posted By: k bush

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/18/20 05:59 PM

Your's too?!?!

Mine too! That's been a helluva flood
Posted By: JohnnyLoco

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/18/20 08:17 PM

Just hunters in the United States alone based nationwide license sales makeup the world’s largest army by far...don’t forget it.

You have ALL of the power

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/18/20 08:22 PM

Yeah, but that power is worthless....The Corona circus has already proven folks ain't gonna stand up to the gubment
Then you got all the legislating from the bench coming out of the SCOTUS and folks just say "oh, well...I guess that's the way it is"
Posted By: Cynical

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/19/20 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by Cynical

I agree

What would you like me to clarify?

I assume you didn’t question the versions that didn’t use a mil-spec buffer tube? It doesn’t make sense to take your position in light of the model progression. I was thinking you would clarify your seemingly anti-pistol brace position because frankly I doubted you were anti. Guess I shouldn’t assume!
Posted By: James

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/19/20 06:10 AM

Yeah, but that power is worthless....The Corona circus has already proven folks ain't gonna stand up to the gubment
Then you got all the legislating from the bench coming out of the SCOTUS and folks just say "oh, well...I guess that's the way it is"

Yep.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/19/20 01:14 PM

[/quote]

I assume you didn’t question the versions that didn’t use a mil-spec buffer tube? It doesn’t make sense to take your position in light of the model progression. I was thinking you would clarify your seemingly anti-pistol brace position because frankly I doubted you were anti. Guess I shouldn’t assume![/quote]

You're right about one thing ... you shouldn't assume.
How the hell did you get that from me stating I simply wondered how they were legal?
Asking a question doesn't mean a person is "anti" whatever they are questioning...
No, I didn't question the "non mil spec" tubes...Why would I?
Posted By: GKelly

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/20/20 01:12 PM

I been telling people that its coming for years just SBR it and be done with it. I wouldn't invest money in any thing based on an ATF opinion they change their mind more than the weather and have for decades.
Posted By: ALMODUX

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/20/20 02:20 PM

[/quote]

I assume you didn’t question the versions that didn’t use a mil-spec buffer tube? It doesn’t make sense to take your position in light of the model progression. I was thinking you would clarify your seemingly anti-pistol brace position because frankly I doubted you were anti. Guess I shouldn’t assume!

How the hell did you get that from me stating I simply wondered how they were legal?
Asking a question doesn't mean a person is "anti" whatever they are questioning...
[/quote]

Yeah, was thinking that, too....it looks like he got caught up in it having to have a buffer tube, instead of how the mfg/atf might actually categorizes the part used, which is what I thought you were trying to point out? Using a milspec, carbine extension on a pistol lower, vs using a PISTOL extension.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/20/20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by ALMODUX

[/quote]

Yeah, was thinking that, too....it looks like he got caught up in it having to have a buffer tube, instead of how the mfg/atf might actually categorizes the part used, which is what I thought you were trying to point out? Using a milspec, carbine extension on a pistol lower, vs using a PISTOL extension. [/quote]

Yeah, I guess I should have said PISTOL extension/tube vs. "non mil spec" since there is a commercial pattern tube available for rifles
Posted By: Out back

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/20/20 04:27 PM

All you need to do is carry an M16 (or M4) about a year 24/7, live with it, never find yourself more than arms reach from it, and it'll cure your AR obsession.
I learned to love my lever guns even more.
Posted By: CAL

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/26/20 05:03 AM

The day some bastard signs a piece of paper that says I’m a criminal for possession of this then I reckon I’ll just have to live with that guilt. Or....maybe I just don’t give a damn.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/26/20 01:16 PM

Read a story last night that said quite a few congressmen have written letters to the acting director telling her the ATF needs to slow it's roll because the making of new laws doesn't fall into their purview

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/26/20 01:54 PM

Read a story last night that said quite a few congressmen have written letters to the acting director telling her the ATF needs to slow it's roll because the making of new laws doesn't fall into their purview

The problem is the ATF has been emboldened by things like POTUS telling them to make bumpstocks illegal by "reclassifying them as machine guns"...it was a TERRIBLE precedent to set
Posted By: gman

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/26/20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by GomerPyle

The problem is the ATF has been emboldened by things like POTUS telling them to make bumpstocks illegal by "reclassifying them as machine guns"...it was a TERRIBLE precedent to set
Yep

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/26/20 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by gman
Originally Posted by GomerPyle

Yep

Posted By: 3% outdoorsman

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/27/20 02:01 AM

Meh as y'all goobers say.i don't play with toys and prefer the full size version 😁 so bull crap braces don't scratch my itch. maybe ok as a truck gun.but yeah I don't believe the government has any right period in determining what kind of stock I have. even though sounds like y'all have learned to deal with it . it doesn't make it more lethal.i seen a younger guy at gun show walking around with a AR pistol and a old man about 70 that had a table set up asked him is that a real gun?I just laughed
Posted By: Big Bore

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/27/20 01:23 PM

I will trade the SB3 for legalizing suppressors! My old ears are about shot out!!

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/27/20 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Big Bore
I will trade the SB3 for legalizing suppressors! My old ears are about shot out!!

I'm to the point we shouldn't have to "trade" anything to exercise a constitutionally protected right...
Suppressors should be sold at every sporting goods store in blister packs just like any other accessory.

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/28/20 04:54 PM

They are legal.
Posted By: Geno

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/29/20 01:51 AM

I'm to the point we shouldn't have to "trade" anything to exercise a constitutionally protected right...
Suppressors should be sold at every sporting goods store in blister packs just like any other accessory.

This. The founding fathers had personal cannon and warships (the most technologically advanced weapons at the time).

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/29/20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Geno

This. The founding fathers had personal cannon and warships (the most technologically advanced weapons at the time).

AMEN and AMEN! I've been saying both of these things, almost verbatim, for years.
Posted By: k bush

Re: They're coming after braces... - 06/29/20 02:31 PM

Got a friend selling a 300 BO pistol if anyone is interested. Not sure of specifics.
Posted By: daylate

Re: They're coming after braces... - 07/06/20 03:24 AM

They sure as heck are a cash cow for the govt and manufacturers with the money you have to spend to get one as it is now..
© 2024 ALDEER.COM